test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You've been naughty :O

nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
Right Ive posted this here because this is more a discussion than a suggestion.

Last night me , Brou and Smack had a chat about putting not evil , not a full blown faction into the game but the options of being a bit naughty. Most of the best ideas came from Brou and Smack.

Basically because there has been an increase in population due to what has happened in CoX I said to keep the third of the new players that were villains in the other game why not give them the option to backhand those annoying NPC's that come up and randomly annoy you. Even go as far as to be able to rob banks instead of stopping it getting robbed.

The others came up far better idea. Being an utter VANDAL! One player could set small fires or vandalize stuff and other players could come along and fix things.

All this could be linked to a small karma bar like in Fallout. Depending how naught or nice you are it could lead to certain costume unlocks.

I aint saying the game needs another faction, just give players the option to have Catwoman or Donkey Kong level of naughtiness.

With this naughty / nice bar everybody would still be heroes some would just be a little bit mean and others could be even more heroic than they already are.
nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I give this suggestion two Devil Horns up!

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    valasquavalasqua Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I like this idea, too! I might bring over some of my villains from the Rogue Isles.
  • Options
    r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited September 2012
    i mentioned something similiar weeks ago too ^^

would love to see this^^
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I guess you missed that I Orbit Cannoned MC, meganuked the Desert, probed the Canada, dried Lemuria up and threw Vibora Bay in to the Void.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    I guess you missed that I Orbit Cannoned MC, meganuked the Desert, probed the Canada, dried Lemuria up and threw Vibora Bay in to the Void.

I salute ur MEGA NAUGHTY o.o<
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Reputation system based on your actions/answers:

Good reputation = Bonus Defense + angel like aura + title: Hero

Neutral reputation = bonus healing + glitter aura + title: < suggestion here >

Evil reputation = damage boost + red'ish evil aura + title: Villain

hows that?

Also:

Neutral players can party with anyone

** peopel can still do alerts heroes woudl fight villains as we do now... neutrals would have no problem doing the same..and villaisn woudl fight villains in alerts because.. hell a villain would be the only one XD

** it woudl not conflict with nemesis system since villains would fight other villains to earn the might for themself instead of sharing...

** yes and sometimes villains can team up with other villains so they reach a target together .. its not a contract anyway ^^

heroes only with heroes and villains only with villains...

also:

There are missions available all day long that are repeatable...those mission are there to grind your way up to hero or villain status...

by default everyone is neutral

EDIT:

OR in alerts everyone can party together because its only temporary...like in some comic boos were some villains help teh heroes temporary and after that they continue fighting each other XD
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    r9xchaos wrote: »

hows that?

Also:

also:

There are missions available all day long that are repeatable...those mission are there to grind your way up to hero or villain status...

Yeah /signed for the auras :D the party aspect not so much.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    i have edited my post ^^ reap up =P
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ

lol i almost died
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Yeah but I dont want to add anything that would divide the community and stop players randomly teaming for anything.

Its not the introduction of evil but the introduction of naughty.

We'd all still be heroes ^__^

But the additions of auras that show who's a meanie and who's nice would be epic.
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Karma value + super heroes = Marvel Super Heroes PnP RPG.
    I've always considered the five star system to be a remnant of when this
    game was going to be an extension of that franchise.

Not that I'm against the idea.
    There should be some kind of relevant heroism/anti-heroism stat.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Karma value + super heroes = Marvel Super Heroes PnP RPG.
    I've always considered the five star system to be a remnant of when this
    game was going to be an extension of that franchise.

Not that I'm against the idea.
    There should be some kind of relevant heroism/anti-heroism stat.

Hero/anti-hero MOTHER OF ZOD thats what what we need O__O"

Its so PnP it hurts :D
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd actually like this, if it could work something like the Paragon/Renegade stats in the Mass Effect series. Raising your Paragon score doesn't reduce your Renegade score, and vice versa - you can wind up as a fairly heroic character, who happens to take a few shortcuts when the situation demands. (For instance, I never play along with Conrad Verner in the bar on Ilium in ME2 - I shoot him in the foot. It's a Renegade action, but it's such a satisfying Renegade action...)

Here I suppose it would be more along the lines of picking up Nice Guy points by scrubbing the graffiti left by someone earning their Naughty points by spray-painting it, and then getting a few minor Naughty points by being rude to the NPCs running up to tell me how wonderful I was in the Qularr Invasion...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd hate a system like this to actually give in-game bonuses, to be honest. It's all just about how you want to be seen in the game. Making a character evil just because you want a damage boost? Nah.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    zer303606zer303606 Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    why is beeing good so gay?
    just saying.
    glitter?

and do we have to be angels? how about non religious titles for us heros and such?
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb'.

-Dark Helmet-
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'd hate a system like this to actually give in-game bonuses, to be honest. It's all just about how you want to be seen in the game. Making a character evil just because you want a damage boost? Nah.

That purple bit is the reason why 1/3rd of players played the villains in CoX .

>_> damn this extra downtime has brought out the ideas in people at least. I normally hate you all but all these ideas being bounced around are forming into something actually viable . Hope at least some of the devs are reading this ...the others I hope you be fixing the game -.-
  • Options
    stardiverstardiver Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I'd rather not, honestly. Specifically, I'd rather not tie morality to look. This was a big problem I've had with similar suggestions in the past. This, in particular, seems to suggest that red is evil and good doesn't focus on damage, and it really doesn't correspond to my own personal choice of aesthetic. Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of the colour-coded for your convenience trope, insomuch as I like to experiment with colour and push preconceived notions. Personally, I tend to see white as more the colour of evil, for it being sterile, but that's just my own thing.

Generally speaking, if at all possible, I prefer to leave appearance as separate from story and gear as I can. If I want to make an evil-looking hero or a good-looking villain for subveristy's sake, then I'd like to do that without having to be of the specific alignment stereotype to do it. It's kind of like the old Greek belief that evil people are ugly and good people are pretty.

So, yes on the idea of letting heroes be "naughty" if that helps, but no on the idea of being either locked out of auras or having auras forced on me for either choice. "Auras" as a costume element are already lacking enough.
    |

Of all the things I've lost,
    It think I miss my mind the most.
  • Options
    stardiverstardiver Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    That purple bit is the reason why 1/3rd of players played the villains in CoX.

There was a time when "evil" costumes that came out with City of Villains were only usable by villains. I remember Jack Emmert being surprised that heroes would want to have monster heads and dress in chains and spikes, but people abusing the /cov 1 command that swapped your client to "think" you were playing a villain in huge numbers was pretty telling. Over the time, the differences in appearance and power waned, and I honestly can't say I saw much complaining over it. Those who wanted their villains to look "evil" and their heroes to look "heroic," for some personal definition of the terms, still could. I, on the other hand, could let loose and create all manner of unusual creatures.

Champions lacks villains so I won't be remaking mine. They just don't fit "anti-hero" work. But being able to make some of my heroes less... Foxbat-goofy would be appreciated.
    |

Of all the things I've lost,
    It think I miss my mind the most.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Check out the book Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett. There is a character in there called Dr. Hix who is the absolute embodiment of this system.

• Options
    ayonachanayonachan Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    why not give them the option to backhand those annoying NPC's that come up and randomly annoy you.

There was a way too do this...but they nerfed it...

R.I.P. Firesnake....You will be remembered!!!

As much as I would like to give something that the people of CoX have lost I still would have to say no to the karma scale. If the rewards of said scale would be an extension onto the spec tree then I would have to go with no...There are already enough exploits and bugs with the spec tree alone...
    Now change the rewards to those of the (many) 'hidden' costume unlocks from both sides and I'd go with yes...I mean, get on the light side enough and you can rip the belly sapphires from sapphire or witchcraft's top..buttons..cape...thingy......or go further into the dark side and gain armadillo's back accessory or...all of dimensional shadow destroyer...or even expired christmas cookies I'd be happy to gain an unlimited supply of those for lighting enough trees on fire and putting cats into them..

Anyway! A karma system with NO rewards would be the best choice...because it gives choice without making either side 'better' than the other...(then people complain about how pointless it is...)
  • Options
    flechusflechus Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Add a whip powerset and some whip unlocks and "You have been naughty" would be an excellent update...(Also, possibly a Whip AT)

I support "Sell Z-store items individually" & Japan Zone
  • Options
    siralleynesiralleyne Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I like the general idea a lot. Like a lot a lot. More titles, perks and content-of-a-kind is always a good idea.

I'm not aware if Hero Games themselves has ever come out with a villain supplement for the PnP, but I know myself I've liked to indulge in playing a more nefarious super-guy.

Giving the civilians a wider range of reactions and actions towards characters would be really neat. If you play a more villainous character having the NPCs run away and maybe even cops shoot at you would be neat.

locking costumes isn't that good of an idea, imho, maybe instead offering certain costumes as goodies you can buy for questionite OR you could play nefarious or virtuous to unlock them.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    They've never needed a "villain supplement" for the PnP - just a GM who was willing to craft stories centered around villainy. That's the wonder of PnP games; they're limited only by the imaginations of the players. You can do anything, as long as either the rules allow for it or the GM is willing to house-rule a little. Heck, I once ran a brief campaign that combined AD&D and Villains & Vigilantes (we called it VD&D), where a party of dungeon-delvers had superpowers. And with Hero Games' systems, there's no very good reason why, if you're of a mind to do so, your characters can't be villains.

Can't be done with the online version, of course - not until someone develops true AI, and makes it cheap enough that one could be dedicated to running an MMO...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Why it took me so long to remember this I'll never know:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ml4dA8TZTU

• Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    No fruitcake auras like glitter and sparkles, please. We don't all play tinkie-winkie Twilight Beibers. An option, yes. But more than just these.
  • Options
    siralleynesiralleyne Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    They've never needed a "villain supplement" for the PnP - just a GM who was willing to craft stories centered around villainy. That's the wonder of PnP games; they're limited only by the imaginations of the players. You can do anything, as long as either the rules allow for it or the GM is willing to house-rule a little. .

Well technically you can run anything with just the base rules :D

I'm meaning more of a genre book with tips and different package deals (now older Hero System lingo) for villains.

But on that same note I think that more content, perhaps even from the get go of character creation/tutorial, that is 'choice' driven . Rp is great but having actual stuff in game helps with the feeling. Not so much as locking your character as 'heroic' or villainous one way or the other ,though the effect would be giving the 'feeling' of being heroic or villainous or some thing in between, but just having little things that add to the depth and immersion.

That one mission where you have the chance to either have Blue Jay help you with the Elder Worms or Bring her in comes to mind...more stuff like that but add real consequences and perks for however you go.

Having something like a reputation bar for specific factions and missions and rewards from them would add to this, I think. Doing certain things for one faction causes you to go down with another.

NightHawk's Project Mongoose are a little bit more 'grey' than Defender's Champion's. VIPER and UNTIL have obvious differences as do PRIMUS and GRAB.

But stuff like, I dunno, MECHANON INVADING would warrant groups normally at odds working together.

This would probably mean new mission hubs, tweaking the alert system and more stuff, generally, but a guy can dream, right?
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    flechus wrote: »
    Add a whip powerset and some whip unlocks and "You have been naughty" would be an excellent update...(Also, possibly a Whip AT)

I have a character named Chains, I would love to make his partner Whips.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    flechus wrote: »

LOL

Champions Online : You've been naughty.

Join now get free gimp mask grab bag.
  • Options
    neojin777neojin777 Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Villains do actually set trash cans on fire? I partially agree with the "villain" suggestion the big drawback to it would be, that open world pvp does not exist and extinguishing fires.. i mean what the hell that does not need to get done by a super hero, any random citizen could just pee on the fires for example. Villains online does sound good, though.

The good / evil points thing totally does not fit into a non open world pvp game, unless it is offline and not a mmo. A damage boost for being evil would be a bad thing, since not everybody likes being evil.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,087 Arc User
    edited September 2012

hows that?

Also:

** peopel can still do alerts heroes woudl fight villains as we do now... neutrals would have no problem doing the same..and villaisn woudl fight villains in alerts because.. hell a villain would be the only one XD

** it woudl not conflict with nemesis system since villains would fight other villains to earn the might for themself instead of sharing...

** yes and sometimes villains can team up with other villains so they reach a target together .. its not a contract anyway ^^

also:

EDIT:

OR in alerts everyone can party together because its only temporary...like in some comic boos were some villains help teh heroes temporary and after that they continue fighting each other XD

What if your heroes had a very naughty background? Like my telepath..
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    neojin777 wrote: »
    Villains do actually set trash cans on fire? I partially agree with the "villain" suggestion the big drawback to it would be, that open world pvp does not exist and extinguishing fires.. i mean what the hell that does not need to get done by a super hero, any random citizen could just pee on the fires for example. Villains online does sound good, though.

The good / evil points thing totally does not fit into a non open world pvp game, unless it is offline and not a mmo. A damage boost for being evil would be a bad thing, since not everybody likes being evil.

But what if you could set a citizen on fire. Better still Rob Mahogany on fire.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    But what if you could set a citizen on fire. Better still Rob Mahogany on fire.

So would that be a Hero or Villein action?

• Options
    edited September 2012
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    So would that be a Hero or Villein action?

Definite hero action.