test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Emotes! We needs more!

championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Suggestions Box
I don't think it's a small secret that a lot of people want more emotes, and I know there are a lot that players in Champions don't have access to and honestly I don't understand why. Some can even be sold on the Cryptic Store and I fairly positive a lot of people would gobble these emotes up, especially the RP community, because they love their emotes as much as they love their costumes.

For suggestion you can sell as packs or as singles, if you go with singles maybe at say 50 zen each for singles. There are some emotes that should be on by default though, like the robot dance since they are default emotes in the sister game.

Emotes I know I have seen the NPCs in Champions do that I know should be at least be able to be purchased by players or have been available in the past but were taken away;
  • Air Guitar
  • DJ Dance Fist Pump
  • DJ Dance Mixer
  • DJ Dance Hand Clap
  • DJ Dance Hand In The Air
  • DJ Dance Hand Up Mixer
  • Dance Hip Shuffle (Sapphire does this from time to time in the concert)
  • Dance The Robot
  • Mak Bara (think that's how it's spelled in STO, just rename this to Kata since that's what it is)
  • Facepalm
  • Double Facepalm
  • Neck Rub (confused look staring at the ground while rubbing your neck)
  • Attention
  • At-Ease
  • That kiss wave Emote Sapphire does when she leaves
  • Sit Lounge
  • Sit Stool
  • Sit Relaxed (one with one leg extended out)
  • Treadmill Run
  • Treadmill Walk
  • Shadow Boxing (for punching bags)
  • Fold Arms
  • Menacing (standing idle punching your hands)
  • Rage at the Sky (character shakes both hands at the sky in rage)
  • Hands on Hips (Heroic Wings stance)
  • Casual (Stands casually with both hands over waist)
  • Fidgety (idles about anxiously)

Emotes I want to see as well;
  • Eat
  • Drink
  • Golfclap
  • Drink Tea
  • Dance Shuffle (Party Rock Anthem)
  • Dance Karate
  • Dance Caramel (Caramel Dansen)
  • Crouch (predatory)
  • Curse You (Shake fist up at the sky)

Just a few I would like to see. The first set I wouldn't say would take much time to implement as player emotes, the rest I listed would probably take some animation time. But honestly, these would undoubtedly be high profile items that would sell most likely as well as costume bits.
Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
Silverspar on PRIMUS
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sergeantmahoff1sergeantmahoff1 Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    All of my yes to this. We need more of this.
  • Options
    kelplanktonkelplankton Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    More emotes, always more emotes. Forever. Make a big ol' emote pack in the Zstore if you guys need to monetize it, all the RPers will snap it up and I'm sure a number of normal players will as well. Emotes have been one of CO's weaker points for a while now. Also, Superdance 01(please make more superdances) and the moonwalking emote should have looping variants. That seems like it would be relatively trivial to implement.

Additionally, a better emote selection menu would be really good to have. The current one takes ages to scroll through, and has emotes that are named kind of bizzarely in some cases compared to what they do. Dividing this up into categories would streamline the process hugely, and be good for adding future emotes as well.

Art, Animation, and Stuff:
    DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    /signed :cool:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    We need A LOT more emotes,for example,I know that STO has alot we don't like an actual sleeping emote,and STO is on a similar engine,so why can't we have emotes like that?!

/signed,one million times if necessary
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Signed with the blood of my enemies!!

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think Cryptic's EmoteMaker engine is broken.

But /signed with blood of klitty's enemies.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've pretty much given up asking for these. Just tired of the forehead bruises.

Yes, I'd be willing to pay a fair bit for an emote pack, I've argued that this would not just help RP, but be popular among the rest of the player base, and be an extremely useful tool for those using the games to make comics and youtube animations, which would then promote the game to a broader audience. I've given up making comics because of the lack of emotes and frustration with having emotes that the engine can clearly do, but which aren't available to me, and having emotes pulled from the game because the STO dev team felt that their own private turf was more important and the possibility of a small player backlash -- there was not ONE single actual complaint from an STO player when they were available to us on test, so it was not actual complaints that caused them to be pulled -- was more important than providing something to the customers of the game that paved the way for them.

But none of this matters, not my money, not my time and effort, and certainly not my opinions, so screw it.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    bronxthebeastbronxthebeast Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm a dedicated roleplayer who would without a doubt, purchase a store product that included such emotes. I am willing to spend 1000 points on an emote pack that contains some good quality animations based on the casual emotes criteria put forward by the topic creator.

To share my own dreams, I would really want however an expanded selection of gym-related emotes, and animations that could be paired between players--no synchronization required, leave that stuff to the players. Just give us the animations, and the ability to perform them as we would normal emotes (high-five, shake hand, friendly hug, etcetera), and leave it to the player to time it right and to have the right distance and direction. For such paired emotes and gym emotes, I would be willing to spend an additional thousand points.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Primus Database: Bronx
    Primus Database: Brogan
  • Options
    riouhotaruriouhotaru Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Signed like the fist of an angry god.
  • Options
    cnidaricothekindcnidaricothekind Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It'd be nice to have the instrument emotes as well, like the ones the band in the S.S. Bayou Queen use.
  • Options
    realsorceryrealsorcery Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm right there with everyone else. I'd love to see more emotes, and I'd even be willing to throw down some zen for an emote pack, either by itself or bundled with costumes and such. Considering there are easily two dozen already existing NPC emotes that we'd love to have, I don't think this is an unreasonable request. Make it happen, Cryptic! :D
  • Options
    teotheotterteotheotter Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've been an active roleplayer since I joined this game and I can safely say I'd throw down money to see some extra emotes in the game to better the experience here, much like bronxthebeast was saying. I would easily pay 500 to 1000 points, depending on the size of the pack itself.

It only seems fair that the players should be able to do some of the same animations that the NPCs do, like crossing arms, leaning on walls, and so on. It would also be nice to have the characters able to lay down, eat and drink, and things along those lines.
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've pretty much given up asking for these. Just tired of the forehead bruises.

Yes, I'd be willing to pay a fair bit for an emote pack, I've argued that this would not just help RP, but be popular among the rest of the player base, and be an extremely useful tool for those using the games to make comics and youtube animations, which would then promote the game to a broader audience. I've given up making comics because of the lack of emotes and frustration with having emotes that the engine can clearly do, but which aren't available to me, and having emotes pulled from the game because the STO dev team felt that their own private turf was more important and the possibility of a small player backlash -- there was not ONE single actual complaint from an STO player when they were available to us on test, so it was not actual complaints that caused them to be pulled -- was more important than providing something to the customers of the game that paved the way for them.

But none of this matters, not my money, not my time and effort, and certainly not my opinions, so screw it.

That's pretty much my feel right there..

The sad part is this is stuff That Is In Game already, you can't really have the Dev's arguing that this requires a lot of new animation work, you just cant

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd also toss hard earned cash down on an emote pack. Just at the very least give us all the ones that the NPCs have access to. Or for that matter, the ones OUR OWN CHARACTERS DO sometimes when we interact!

Oh, and give us back the old female sit poses too!
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • Options
    vylmavylma Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    /signed

We indeed need more emotes, 1000Z would be too much for just an emote pack though.
  • Options
    bronxthebeastbronxthebeast Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The general point of this topic should be to encourage the development team that there is serious interest in extending the available emotes to include the ones that already exist, and new ones if possible.

You can't have supply without demand, and since we're dealing with a business, we need to talk at business level to get results. So state your interest in wanting additional emotes, be forward and to the point when sharing you particularly want, maybe put forward a figure you would be willing to spend on an emote pack, be polite and optimistic rather than pessimistic and pouting, and let's see if we can't get some attention drawn to our cause!

vylma wrote: »
    [...] 1000Z would be too much for just an emote pack though.

Heh, already had someone else call me out on that--but it's the amount of money that I would be willing to put forward. Everyone is different, everyone has different amounts they'd be willing to spend. Be sincere, and share how much you would be willing to spend on an emote pack. Remember, the consumers don't put a price tag on the product--it's the supplier that does that. However, as consumers, we can shift the influencing Demand factor. If we can demonstrate that demand for new emotes is great enough to warrant the supply of new emotes, then we'll have a potential transaction!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Primus Database: Bronx
    Primus Database: Brogan
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd pay 1000 Zen for the emotes that 'Spar is suggesting. But I've been asking for this for well over two years, and Cryptic has pretty much decided this is something they don't care about. They said they might add emotes as part of theme packages - this was done once, with harajuku, fifteen months ago. Since then, nothing. Including ones they don't even need to animate!

I have always tried to be positive and reasonable in my criticisms of the game, and I hope my posts over the years have conveyed that attitude. Reactions on these boards are often overstated and reactionary, and I've done my best on most occasions not to follow suit. On this issue, however, I cannot be positive anymore. Yes, I am continuing to offer Cryptic my money when they decide they want it, but honestly, I don't think a hundred or three hundred responses will make a difference. This just isn't part of the devs' vision for the game. The game's development is being driven primarily by the powers team, with alerts/events as the secondary focus, and any use of resources that does not fit into those two elements, even as trivial as having a programmer placing tags on existing animations and adding them to the emote list, will be backburnered at best and more than likely ignored. The devs don't believe that this is worth the hour or so of programming time it would likely take to add the existing emotes to the emote list.

We're not fighting for proving demand. We've shown over the years that there's a demand. We''re fighting for headspace in the minds of people who have wildly different priorities and consequently just don't give a damn. That's a battle that I'm extremely pessimistic about winning. This doesn't mean that people shouldn't support this thread: scream it from the rooftops! Please support this! However, to use a metaphor, the frustration of getting a callous stare when I ask for a little more gruel while I'm standing in the middle of a gruel factory (especially when I'm not receiving gruel because the owner of the neighboring gruel factory is worried how his less starved orphans might react if I received it) is pretty damn discouraging, and I'm not going to lie about it. I've been more than reasonable about this over the years.

However, if I'm wrong, could Trailturtle or one of the other members of the team please tell us what criteria would we need to prove exists that would convince you to expand on this area of the game? I don't normally call out devs, but please tell us if you can: what do you need to see to convince you that this is a worthwhile use of artist and programmer time? I'll gladly shut up if you're willing to specify what you need to see to make our case and we can't deliver. Few things make me happier than being proven wrong on the things I'm pessimistic about.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    savagegreywolfsavagegreywolf Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    signed, now just to wait for this thread to reach a jillion replies while being pointedly ignored by the devs.
  • Options
    felfoxfelfox Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Emotes are a huuuuuge part of RPing and just immersion itself! I'd be willing to pay for emotes as well. We need more of well, everything but particularly the more obvious ones like eating and wall leaning and just all-round social ones. Actions like gym based and poses are good too though as they give something for our characters to do when we aren't sitting around chatting.
  • Options
    evilmasta1evilmasta1 Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd love to see more emotes and stances.

/signed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The artist formally known on the forums as @CapsLockRAGE
  • Options
    edited September 2012

I have always tried to be positive and reasonable in my criticisms of the game, and I hope my posts over the years have conveyed that attitude.

Yea!

Beign the cranky old fart of the RP community is My Job!

^_^

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    veiran2veiran2 Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I would totally put up some Zen for some Emotes. Whether it be single, packs of 10, or whatever.

Basketball bouncing emote would also be fun, since we have a few basketball courts out in westside, hehe.
  • Options
    cubepwcubepw Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd like some magic emotes. Spellcasting, vague mystic gestures.

Emotes with props would be nice too. Being able to pull up a cellphone or a book would be really nice. I'd be willing to pay at least 500z for a pack of new emotes.
  • Options
    hidingcathidingcat Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Roleplayer here. The answer is yes to the above. I'll gladly purchase this if it's packaged as listed above.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    You know, as much as we're all willing to pay for these, we really shouldn't have to. Emotes should be universal.

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    You know, as much as we're all willing to pay for these, we really shouldn't have to. Emotes should be universal.

Emotes require animation time. That means they would have to pay someone for these. And honestly, supporting the game should be something we want to do for more budget and developer resources.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Emotes require animation time. That means they would have to pay someone for these. And honestly, supporting the game should be something we want to do for more budget and developer resources.

The OP's list do not require animation, they already exist. And even so, some content shouldn't be charged for.

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    The OP's list do not require animation, they already exist. And even so, some content shouldn't be charged for.

Considering how little content is actually charged for, and considering that list required some animation and will require programming to hook them up, it's not a tall order, not to mention several of the listed emotes are paid for emotes in Star Trek Online, hence the reason some were pulled a while back ago.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Considering how little content is actually charged for, and considering that list required some animation and will require programming to hook them up, it's not a tall order, not to mention several of the listed emotes are paid for emotes in Star Trek Online, hence the reason some were pulled a while back ago.

STO has no reason to complain, they got a **** ton of Dev time for lots of content we don't have, including the foundry. I'm also a STO lifer so I think I can say CO needs a free bone or three.

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    STO has no reason to complain, they got a **** ton of Dev time for lots of content we don't have, including the foundry. I'm also a STO lifer so I think I can say CO needs a free bone or three.

Ok? They've also had more players and thus more income. People here have been knee jerking at even the smallest cost of items. So if STO has had more income, why is it a shock they get more dev focus? Seriously, support has to be shown if we expect them to start putting more dev focus here. Being loud and obnoxious about things doesn't mean you are supporting it. And if you say you won't pay for anything until they prove something it kind of ends up in that vicious circle cliche.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If nothing else, I wouldn't mind a lying down emote. If only so people can roleplay being injured or dead in such a way that it doesn't actually require them actually BEING dead, so they can still stay in the thick of the action of their roleplaying once they're 'cured'... Does that make sense? I'm not sure if it did...

Also, air guitar is required!

Hmm... I'd also suggest basically every component of the Hare Hare Yukai dance from Haruhi Suzumiya.
    Seriously, the hands waving, the arms pointing, the two steps left then back to the start, two steps right then back to the start, a slow spin with arms expressing you're trying to keep balanced, tilting your arms with a sort of gesture towards what's behind you, tilting your head left and right, rolling your head around...

That one sequence of animation has so much potential for emotes, and most of it isn't particularly distinguishibly just Haruhi-spawned on it's own, meaning that it's basically up for grabs for at least some of it to be used, being just ordinary body movements.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    crashdragoncrashdragon Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    An 4th Anniversary Day emote I'd like to see next year :

Sapphire Sings Emote. - * Character grabs head and stumbles around aimlessly while ears bleed. *
    I like to hang around laundromats and steal hero's tights for ransom. =3
  • Options
    cidersylphcidersylph Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    /signed!

It's been far too long since we've had a new batch of emotes added to the game. I'll spend money on them too! Just please add them! :)
  • Options
    rexcelestisrexcelestis Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    /signed

I would be happy to spend money on an emote pack.
  • Options
    darvaliadarvalia Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    /signed

I would not mind and be really happy to pay for an emote pack too.
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    We already have the Neck Rub emote, otherwise known as "Blush" or "Flirt" I think. Somewhere along those lines. But yes, MOAR EMOTES!
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• Options
    lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I agree with this request, but it should have been made 3 years ago. >_< This game has needed moar emotes, better emotes, and emotes that are more accurate to their descriptions since mankind came into existence on the earth. =P
  • Options
    siralleynesiralleyne Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Signed, Singed, SIGNED

The ONE thing that sticks out in my mind as an absolute jems (so outrageous) in my memory from CoX IS emotes. I remember, playing for the first time in mid 2007, the thing that made me so immersed and wowed was the floating books emotes. The training emote where you did katas by yourself.

The animations were neat and were so cool for RP and generally for just sitting around and messing around.

Money guys, we'll give you money. We've been asking for this for so long, its been over ten months since we got any new emotes, and with CoX sunsetting soon its going to be just you and DCO as the two Superhero alternatives for those that will be finding themselves homeless.

Really, now, what a great way to put out the welcome mat, make the transition that much more enjoyable, ease the hurt that comes with the loss of a community. So maybe just a bit of melodrama, but really, it would be such a nice touch.

I've creeped these forums well before even playing this game and the fact that this community has been asking for it that long..Sigh...

/signed with much gusto.
  • Options
    mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    /signed

More emotes please, please, please with sugar and Zen on top.
  • Options
    burnsidheburnsidhe Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Some additional animations need to be given to Champions online. Since there are so many that were 'pulled' because of complaints from STO players, perhaps they could be put back IN soon? All the coding is in the files, everything is there, it's just not hooked up.

Animations, model stances, all of that, in general, needs a pass by whomever is doing animation. Cryptic might and should hire more art and animation people to pick up the slack in the other games while Neverwinter is under construction. I hear Chris Bruce might be available, and he's rather familiar with the Cryptic method of animating things.

Just because a new game is being worked on, is no excuse for Cryptic to fail to support its existing and ongoing games that already have a subscriber base.

That said, yes, these things do cost money to produce, and I can very much understand if money needs to be charged for new emotes.
  • Options
    mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    burnsidhe wrote: »
    Just because a new game is being worked on, is no excuse for Cryptic to fail to support its existing and ongoing games that already have a subscriber base.

You're right - it's no excuse, but it's basically a big part of the reason. :tongue:
  • Options
    skyranger01skyranger01 Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I agree, and I really hope this gets a response. The benefits of this go beyond RP. It would be beneficial to the game as a whole, as it would help with immersion as well as the ability to simply socialize, whether you're roleplaying or not.

I also think it would be a nice moneymaker if it were done correctly (read: NOT a Grab Bag). I know of another free-to-play MMO that makes a tidy profit selling individual emotes as cheap microtransactions in its cash shop, and that game isn't nearly as customization-heavy as CO. It might have even more profit potential here, where customization is such a big selling point.

Even though I don't RP much at all, and if I do it's light and casual at most, I would still be willing to put down some cash for some emote packs. Can't speak for anyone else, but I would also be willing to buy them individually as account-wide unlocks for a small price (like 100 zen or less per emote) so I could just collect the ones that really interest me.

I'd like to see the ones Silverspar listed in the OP, as well as some sitting, lounging, and reclining emotes that are not based on chairs or benches (i.e. sitting, lying, lounging, on the floor/ground). You really shouldn't have to use /killme just to lie down in your own bed. :tongue:
  • Options
    herodad1herodad1 Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i wish we had a few that could be quickly clicked. maybe 3-5 in small numbered little icons on screen somewhere.we choose them then save them in each box.
  • Options
    superstar78superstar78 Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Many have been asking for more emotes since closed beta. I'm not holding my breath though. I've always been partial to costume change emotes and flight emotes. I even suggested using existing animations from powers as costume change emotes just to keep it simple (if that's possible.)

I pretty much gave up the fight when during a pod cast a few years ago the issue of costume change emotes came up and Poz was actually surprised to hear that CoX had them. My jaw hit the floor when I heard that. I knew at that moment that CO would never see my beloved costume change emotes (there was a lot I didn't like about CoX, but I LOVED costume change emotes).

At this point I just want to ask the devs, there's clearly a problem with adding emotes. What are they? How can we get past them?
  • Options
    nivjinivji Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    SIGNED
    It is now over three years since I asked for more emotes in the game.
    I'm a little tired of asking, there are yet many of them already in play (wewant.jpg). How difficult is it to add those already implemented in the game? (wall lean, fist on hips, and many others).
    This game is sorely lacking of social emotes (eat, drink, real sleep, phone etc....) and Heroic emotes (cool stand, heroic flight poses, heroic crouch etc...)
    I am willing to spend Zen on it and as you can see i'm not alone.....
    There's a real expectation from players, start by putting those already in game then if it sells well put in new ones.
    ps:While I had lost all hope, recently cryptic bring back social instances...Next step emotes ?
  • Options
    ipullstringsipullstrings Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    /signed

There are enough emotes ingame currently exclusive to NPCs that would likely double our current list. And as many others have said, we'd be willing to pay.
  • Options
    nivjinivji Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I take this thread opportunity to remind other players demand: Costume change Emotes
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Time to bring this back to the top.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    needsmoardakkaneedsmoardakka Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    /signed.

Like thousands have said before.

Needs to happen.