test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

50% off Freeform slot

polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
So this weekend only, 50% off freeform slots. Didn't see that coming. I already have a lifetime account, but it sounds like sort of a big deal for Silver Champions.
Post edited by polishlightning on

Comments

• mainscrizzmainscrizz Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So this weekend only, 50% off freeform slots. Didn't see that coming. I already have a lifetime account, but it sounds like sort of a big deal for Silver Champions.

the price is right. xD
    :confused:
    I have a buddy who would love this so much.

Might get him a present...
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yeah it's quite an amazing price. I was surprised.
    biffsig.jpg
  • lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    this price is sooooo right,it needs to stay this way,or at least stay this way,or at least leave it like this for a month or so,I mean 25 dollars,unlike 50 IS a reasonable price for an FF slot.
  • royalflvshroyalflvsh Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's a great starter deal for all the CoX folks coming over.
  • stardiverstardiver Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Wouldn't half price still put it at $25?
    |

Of all the things I've lost,
    It think I miss my mind the most.
  • misterjustmisterjust Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Great news, this is the sort of price they should have had from the start. I just bought two of them :biggrin:.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ...Why am I subbing again? someone tell me why I've been subbing for three years strait now, with no lapse?

Cryptic, PWI, throw us subscribers and vets a bone.

Also, great special, and good on everyone able to take advantage of it. It just can't be me, as I love my customization too much, although I will say if i could take the five hundred plus dollars I'd sunk into this game for the last three years now, I'd certainly instead use them to just purchase everything and own it all, instead of renting. :frown:
  • n3thergoatn3thergoat Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    twenty five bucks for one slot?

while 50% off is indisputably a sale, I'm uncertain how much of a 'deal' that is.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Per this link from the main page: http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=664841

$25 for a Freeform slot is a lot more reasonable than the full price! Now is the time to buy one if you're interested. I got my LTS back in '09, and can tell you that, (other than the costume creator), Freeform is one of the best aspects of this game!

(Edit by Biff Smackwell: Merged these two threads)
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    stardiver wrote: »
    Wouldn't half price still put it at $25?

Yes. Buy it and go make your laser sword toon.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think I'd consider it around $5, not more. But hey.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Removed for incorrect content.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Be warned:
    I believe that you only get powers from those Archetypes that you ALREADY OWN with the purchased Freeform slot. You are MUCH better off buying a monthly or lifetime subscription unless you have something very specific in mind and have no intention of ever rolling another toon.

I have a silver FF,and he got EVERY power,when I made him,every single one,from all elemental powers,to all gadgeteering powers,to all mentalist,to all unarmed,might,heavy weapons,and so on,so yes,silver FFs have access to all powers,even if they are from ATs they do not own
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    n3thergoat wrote: »

while 50% off is indisputably a sale, I'm uncertain how much of a 'deal' that is.

I spent $300 to get a Lifetime account. It's a big deal. Most people typically have a main character anyways. Now is the time to make your main character a freeform one.

So please, don't whine, this is actually a really good deal.
    edited September 2012
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Be warned:
    I believe that you only get powers from those Archetypes that you ALREADY OWN with the purchased Freeform slot.

This is a false rumor .

2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited September 2012

A premium AT is $11.50 and 2 more character slots is $14.00. The FF slot comes with a character slot as well as access to all the powers. Not to bad of a deal.

zahinder wrote: »
    I think I'd consider it around $5, not more. But hey.

If that's what you expect to pay for a FF slot, you're going to be greatly disappointed in what the rest of the game gives you for that kind of money.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited September 2012

it's a mini-LTS, it's a decent deal.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    lotar295 wrote: »
    I have a silver FF,and he got EVERY power,when I made him,every single one,from all elemental powers,to all gadgeteering powers,to all mentalist,to all unarmed,might,heavy weapons,and so on,so yes,silver FFs have access to all powers,even if they are from ATs they do not own

Really?
    My apologies then.
    Just after they were released people were posting on the forums after getting the Slots saying that they only had access to those that they had purchased.
    I am glad to here it is a full freeform slot. Makes it MUCH better.
    Or perhaps I was thinking of the Freeform slots that were given away with the Special Event that took place upon their release.
    Sorry again for the misinformation.
    I will edit and remove this immediately.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think this is an awesome sale and I encourage any non-subscribers to jump on it!

Just a couple of important things I'd think should be pointed out so folks can make an informed decision...

The Freeform slot does not come with the ability to color your powers. That is still currently reserved for Gold players only...

The Freeform slot is a completely new slot. As such, you cannot apply it to an existing character to upgrade them to Freeform. You have to make a brand new character to use the Freeform slot...

Just wanted to avoid confusion...

Now go! Buy!

:smile:
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • robotninja45robotninja45 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    25 dollars? lol no thx

If it were 10 dollars, sure. But 25 dollars for only one character to have full access to powers is a bit redic, no matter how you try painting it.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    25 dollars? lol no thx

If it were 10 dollars, sure. But 25 dollars for only one character to have full access to powers is a bit redic, no matter how you try painting it.

Well, considering it's $16 per slot when you buy a LTS, the "premium fee" of $9 to avoid the full price isn't bad at all. Of course, it all boils down to the perceived value one places on freeform...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    25 dollars? lol no thx

Considering a character slot would be $7 and a basic AT with limited customization would be $11.50. That's $18.50 for something like that. So, how is it ridiculous for a character that is getting unlimited power choices?
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hah, came around just like I knew it would. They knew peeps would be holding out for this and they obliged like good merchants!

Best of luck to those who try and scrape to meet the deadline.

Haven't been online but wow I can just imagine the Q store response right now. LOL
  • oddbirdyoddbirdy Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Aw man...

I should have held out to buy my Freeform slot.

However, now I can consider buying another one, whereas before I was definitely going to stick with just one...
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, considering it's $16 per slot when you buy a LTS, the "premium fee" of $9 to avoid the full price isn't bad at all. Of course, it all boils down to the perceived value one places on freeform...

Dont forget that LTS also gets access to a bunch of costume sets, extra costume slots, extra bag/bank slots, color customisation, an extra character slot for each lvl 40 AND 500 zen a month to make the price for a freeform slot that much less of a bargain.

That said i think $25 is a fair price for NORMAL though, not a sale price, since for 6 times the cost of what they think is 'normal' you can get almost tripple the slots as well as all the above bonuses by going LTS (and considering one of the bonuses is the extra chr slots, 6 times as much gets you an unlimited number of characters on top of everything else!).
    edited September 2012
    That said i think $25 is a fair price for NORMAL though, not a sale price,
    Im not going to get into the subjective notion of "value" and all that, but i suspect that if the price stayed at $25 they would sell more.

At any rate, IMHO if you haven't experienced Free Form building, then you haven't really experienced champions online. Its the main thing that makes the game unique.

edited September 2012
    Im not going to get into the subjective notion of "value" and all that, but i suspect that if the price stayed at $25 they would sell more.

Same could be said for cutting the prices of other things like the "rank up" catalysts and RetCon tokens. And I've been saying for a long time I think a 75% reduction on the price of those RetCon tokens would increase sales by about double, off-setting the profit margin loss.

The bigger issue is we don't have the volume necessary to really keep the prices lower.

It's basically like the difference between a niche-market grocery retailer like Whole Food Market or Rainbow Blossom and a big chain discount grocery retailer like Walmart, Meijer, Sam's Club, or Costco. More total sales volume and you can drop the profit margin on the products.

That said, there's definitely something to be said for lowering prices, even if it's only in promotionals that are constantly going. And for game microtransction stuff, it's pure profit margin being weighted against the expenditures of running the business; there's no physical good being sold.

At any rate, IMHO if you haven't experienced Free Form building, then you haven't really experienced champions online. Its the main thing that makes the game unique.

Totally agree, which makes this $25 thing totally a deal. Most XBox games cost more than that for example.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    Same could be said for cutting the prices of other things like the "rank up" catalysts and RetCon tokens. And I've been saying for a long time I think a 75% reduction on the price of those RetCon tokens would increase sales by about double, off-setting the profit margin loss.

The bigger issue is we don't have the volume necessary to really keep the prices lower.

It's basically like the difference between a niche-market grocery retailer like Whole Food Market or Rainbow Blossom and a big chain discount grocery retailer like Walmart, Meijer, Sam's Club, or Costco. More total sales volume and you can drop the profit margin on the products.

That said, there's definitely something to be said for lowering prices, even if it's only in promotionals that are constantly going. And for game microtransction stuff, it's pure profit margin being weighted against the expenditures of running the business; there's no physical good being sold..

There really is very little incentive to reduce prices by 75% in order to increase sales by merely 100%.

If a company is currently able to sell 100 of something at $10 each then the 75% reduction/100% increase would yield 200 sales at $2.50 each.

100 units at $10 each = $1000 revenue.

200 units at $2.50 each = $500 revenue.

Why would a company want to cut their revenue in half ?

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Dont forget that LTS also gets access to a bunch of costume sets, extra costume slots, extra bag/bank slots, color customisation, an extra character slot for each lvl 40 AND 500 zen a month to make the price for a freeform slot that much less of a bargain.

That said i think $25 is a fair price for NORMAL though, not a sale price, since for 6 times the cost of what they think is 'normal' you can get almost tripple the slots as well as all the above bonuses by going LTS (and considering one of the bonuses is the extra chr slots, 6 times as much gets you an unlimited number of characters on top of everything else!).

I won't haggle price. I just want to clarify...

Everything you listed in your post is available for ALL Gold subscribers, not just LTS. And you forgot to mention that Gold players also have the money cap removed, get a free retcon at 40, and get a free hideout...

LTS does however get the extra character slots, some very cool exclusive costume pieces, a Foxbat Action Figure, and comfort in the fact that you're free from any monthly subscription fees...

:smile:

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
    edited September 2012
    That said, there's definitely something to be said for lowering prices, even if it's only in promotionals that are constantly going. And for game microtransction stuff, it's pure profit margin being weighted against the expenditures of running the business; there's no physical good being sold.

Yeah the whole thing with the limited time is to generate interest where it wouldn't exist otherwise, and urgency. People might be 'planning on' purchasing but never end up doing so. With the sale it is an extra motivation. Numerous factors add up to an expectation of sales exceeding the 'loss' of the discount, i.e. in comparison to the normal tally they make without a sale.

Only thing about it is...its only a sale consideration to those who know about it. They really should announce it a few days before it hits. Some people play more during the week than weekend. The whole 'economy' will have more time to ramp up to support the mad dash. Some might say even longer, but urgency is the name of the game. :tongue: The more days, the more the chance of procrastination and blown-off 'effort'.

Anyway, it makes sense at this rather high discount for it to be as temporary as it is. Long-term, who knows. That's foggy marketing terrain there. Periodic discounts seems more logical.
    edited September 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »
    There really is very little incentive to reduce prices by 75% in order to increase sales by merely 100%.

Yeah 75% is more like a clearance sale. 50% is about as extreme as you see to 'nab the skeptics', as it were. This is what Cryptic discounts when they do something specific to feature it. If they go store-wide, it's 20%.

As for the upgrade catalysts specifically...they need serious permanent re-pricing anyway. Does anyone at all even purchase them? :confused:
    edited September 2012
    mijjestic wrote: »
    Yeah the whole thing with the limited time is to generate interest where it wouldn't exist otherwise, and urgency. People might be 'planning on' purchasing but never end up doing so. With the sale it is an extra motivation. Numerous factors add up to an expectation of sales exceeding the 'loss' of the discount, i.e. in comparison to the normal tally they make without a sale.

Only thing about it is...its only a sale consideration to those who know about it. They really should announce it a few days before it hits. Some people play more during the week than weekend. The whole 'economy' will have more time to ramp up to support the mad dash. Some might say even longer, but urgency is the name of the game. :tongue: The more days, the more the chance of procrastination and blown-off 'effort'.

Anyway, it makes sense at this rather high discount for it to be as temporary as it is. Long-term, who knows. That's foggy marketing terrain there. Periodic discounts seems more logical.

QFT, and frankly they should be advertising externally too, like on Steam.

Seriously, it's like Perfect World refuses to advertise this game.
    edited September 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »

If a company is currently able to sell 100 of something at $10 each then the 75% reduction/100% increase would yield 200 sales at $2.50 each.

100 units at $10 each = $1000 revenue.

200 units at $2.50 each = $500 revenue.

Why would a company want to cut their revenue in half ?

WTF?! No no no! lol! That's not what I meant guys... >_<

I meant this:
    current price * 0.75 = new price

Y'all read it as:
    current price * 0.25 = new price

I should have been clearer...

75% of a price isn't the same thing as 75% off a price. 75% off means only 25% of what it was originally, a clearance sale when you're going out of business.
  • n3thergoatn3thergoat Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I spent $300 to get a Lifetime account.

And I passed on the 'opportunity' to buy one for $100 back in the day.
    Not seeing how that's relevant to the price of tea in China.
    It's a big deal.
    It's a big discount, certainly.
    But the remaining price is still comically high in my estimation.
    So please, don't whine, this is actually a really good deal.

I have a four year old.
    What you've heard here is in no way, shape or form 'whining'.
    edited September 2012
    I have a four year old.

lol Difficult to argue with that. :wink:
    edited September 2012
    And I passed on the 'opportunity' to buy one for $100 back in the day.
    Not seeing how that's relevant to the price of tea in China.

o_O Tea in China?

This is a fair point and expresses your feelings/opinions on the matter fairly. I disagree, but to each their own right?

I have a four year old.

It sure came off that way to the audience reading it (or at least this member of the audience), but miscommunications happen, as I just apparently miscommunication something myself (see above).

My perception of such complaining is also partly tainted by all the excessively negative complaining done about the release of the newest archetype, about it being premium instead of free. I say excessive both because it was plentiful complaining frequency, that it's not happened on previous archetype releases, and a few of the people explicitly expressed they were owed one from Cryptic. (speaking of which, notice how the latest sale has comments turned off?)
  • mainscrizzmainscrizz Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    lol, I don't know why people refer to it as a mini LTS.
    the slot only gives you freeform access for 1 char.

It doesn't give you a stipend, vet rewards, costume unlocks, free hideout, gold TPs, extra bag slots, power tinting, extra bank slots, free character slot for reaching 40, free retcon for reaching lvl40, extra costume slots. extra AH slots, extra listing time in AH, access to the PTS, or unlimited resource storage.

I'm sure there are more things you get from being gold/LTS.

can a silver remove mods from gear with Globals and Questionite?
    Why must we always go through this. Do folks really think others want to know why they will or will not buy something?

If it's worth it to you, buy it...

If it's not, don't...

If you really feel the world is that interested in your spending habits, please feel free to continue...

:rolleyes:

Laws yes!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    mainscrizz wrote: »
    lol, I don't know why people refer to it as a mini LTS.
    the slot only gives you freeform access for 1 char.

It doesn't give you a stipend, vet rewards, costume unlocks, free hideout, gold TPs, extra bag slots, power tinting, extra bank slots, free character slot for reaching 40, free retcon for reaching lvl40, extra costume slots. extra AH slots, extra listing time in AH, access to the PTS, or unlimited resource storage.

I'm sure there are more things you get from being gold/LTS.

can a silver remove mods from gear with Globals and Questionite?

LTS: You can play freeform for the life of the game.

Freeform slot: You can play freeform on one character for the life of the game.

It's a popular consensus that the reason to subscribe or go lifetime is for freeform. Getting freeform for a small one-time fee -- that's mini lifetime.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited September 2012
    A 'mini poor man's LTS' would be what I'd call it.
  • hidingcathidingcat Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    lokikin wrote: »
    Why must we always go through this. Do folks really think others want to know why they will or will not buy something?

If it's worth it to you, buy it...

If it's not, don't...

If you really feel the world is that interested in your spending habits, please feel free to continue...

:rolleyes:
    Can we have this as the following post every time an announcement is made about free form slots? Then just lock the thread.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Bumping to make sure game content threads aren't knocked off the front page.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Another bump, unfortunately, is needed. Sorry folks.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Two bumps isn't working, you need to bump harder!
  • polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited September 2012

It depends on what type of player you are, there are some that just want one character. In this case, the price is right, it might even be right at $50. But if you're an altoholic and intend on playing for a long time, $300 for a lifetime sub is the better deal.
    If you just want to try the game out, buying a one month sub isn't bad either, for $15 you get:
    -1 month gold sub
    -access to all archetypes (AT)
    -1 free hideout, to keep even after sub runs out
    -8 character slots
    -access to freeform
    -500 zen=$5
    -access to Gold level costumes

So if you are an altoholic, you could try 8 AT in the 8 slots you get and see if you really like them or which you prefer.
    edited September 2012
    It depends on what type of player you are, there are some that just want one character. In this case, the price is right, it might even be right at $50. But if you're an altoholic and intend on playing for a long time, $300 for a lifetime sub is the better deal.
    If you just want to try the game out, buying a one month sub isn't bad either, for $15 you get:
    -1 month gold sub
    -access to all archetypes (AT)
    -1 free hideout, to keep even after sub runs out
    -8 character slots
    -access to freeform
    -500 zen=$5
    -access to Gold level costumes

So if you are an altoholic, you could try 8 AT in the 8 slots you get and see if you really like them or which you prefer.

QFT, you hit the nail on the head there I think, gj!
  • eddiewoodeddiewood Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    lotar295 wrote: »
    this price is sooooo right,it needs to stay this way,or at least stay this way,or at least leave it like this for a month or so,I mean 25 dollars,unlike 50 IS a reasonable price for an FF slot.

$25 is a great deal?
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    eddiewood wrote: »
    $25 is a great deal?

Yes.

and...

No.

Value is subjective. For some $50 might have been a great deal. For others $25 would be. For others still anything over $5 might be too much.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • eddiewoodeddiewood Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A new person coming over from COH may or may not see the value of Freeform vs archetypes. I see this sale as benefiting veterans more.