Install Arc
Options

CP to ZEN rage post

13»

Comments

• Options
    haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Actually, it is crying and whining. He wants Cryptic to force players to change how they value their Zen on the market. The market is constantly shifting in price, and he wants people to shift for him, or he wants Cryptic to come in and force a price change. It isn't going to happen.

Ah, Silverspar, charming as ever.

Pointing out something that might be an intended or might be an error is just that. It's not as if Cryptic tells us what goes on in their staff meetings. The rest of the complaints on the thread, you're right about.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    haleakala wrote: »
    Ah, Silverspar, charming as ever.

Pointing out something that might be an intended or might be an error is just that. It's not as if Cryptic tells us what goes on in their staff meetings. The rest of the complaints on the thread, you're right about.

And trying to ignore the facts isn't going to change them. The market is determined by the players, not Cryptic. You can ignore that until you are blue, but that is the fact. You can't call something an error just because the market hasn't changed to suit it. It's like the stock market, the value of currencies go up and down regularly, sometimes dramatically. The market doesn't instantly shift just because the value of those currencies shift. They shift over time.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Funny thing is, there was a big uproar in game before q was introduced, saying "we better be able to control the prices of cryptic points, or they'll lose all value". We *asked* for this. And, imo, the system works as intended. Frustrated with the q grind? Spend 10 bucks. It's not supposed to be easy for you to farm lots of zen by q grinding. it's supposed to take a while. Why? Because q grinding doesn't make cryptic money.

Be happy they put the feature in at all. And if the prices bug you so much? buy 40 bucks worth of Z and put em for sale on the cheap. Undercut, and force people to drop their prices. Otherwise, it's all just QQ because you don't want to grind for a material that is, in essence, designed to make you grind for it.

Man, I wish I woulda had the chance to see you talk about crafted travel powers.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    And trying to ignore the facts isn't going to change them. The market is determined by the players, not Cryptic. You can ignore that until you are blue, but that is the fact. You can't call something an error just because the market hasn't changed to suit it. It's like the stock market, the value of currencies go up and down regularly, sometimes dramatically. The market doesn't instantly shift just because the value of those currencies shift. They shift over time.

So the players set the minimum and maximum values within which they can then determine their price? Yeah ,no. Cryptic set that. I guess I shouldn't have expected you to actually attempted to understand what someone is saying before jumping to conclusions.

Willie Nelson

• Options
    edited July 2012
    So the players set the minimum and maximum values within which they can then determine their price? Yeah ,no. Cryptic set that. I guess I shouldn't have expected you to actually attempted to understand what someone is saying before jumping to conclusions.

Well, sorta. They can't set the minimum, but they sure aren't selling at it. You're half right, we're limited in a certain framework, but day by day I've seen the actual price of zen go up and down by as much as 80 Q. That bit we *do* have control over. But, I remember in another not to be mentioned mmo, the economy went so crazy that a required crafting component was selling for so much money that it'd take a week of grinding to buy one. Having a cap doesn't sound like that bad of an idea, because it's a pretty simple way to ensure that the economy stays within limits they agree with. The economics of mmos are a nightmare, so I can't really question them too bad on this one. Personally, I'd like to see this go a step further, because stuff like the become devices sell for more money than a silver can even hold. Arguably, become devices benefit silvers more than anyone else, so that seems pretty absurd to me. Especially given that we can't buy crafting mats anymore to trade as a form of currency. But, that's probably off topic.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Well, sorta. They can't set the minimum, but they sure aren't selling at it. You're half right, we're limited in a certain framework, but day by day I've seen the actual price of zen go up and down by as much as 80 Q. That bit we *do* have control over. But, I remember in another not to be mentioned mmo, the economy went so crazy that a required crafting component was selling for so much money that it'd take a week of grinding to buy one. Having a cap doesn't sound like that bad of an idea, because it's a pretty simple way to ensure that the economy stays within limits they agree with. The economics of mmos are a nightmare, so I can't really question them too bad on this one. Personally, I'd like to see this go a step further, because stuff like the become devices sell for more money than a silver can even hold. Arguably, become devices benefit silvers more than anyone else, so that seems pretty absurd to me. Especially given that we can't buy crafting mats anymore to trade as a form of currency. But, that's probably off topic.

Heh; the only point I agreed with is that the minimums and maximums have changed with regard to their relationship to the buying power of Zen by staying at the same numbers as they were when the currency was CP; and that letting the devs know this in case they missed it didn't seem like a bad idea. As to what people are asking within those limits, that's their business.

Cryptic can and did put limits into the Q Exchange; putting them into the game as a whole doesn;t sound realistically doable.

Willie Nelson

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Cryptic can and did put limits into the Q Exchange; putting them into the game as a whole doesn;t sound realistically doable.

Very true, nature of the beast when silvers have such a low cap and golds can harvest so much cash in a short time. I'd kill for a buyable removal of the g cap.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    florghhhflorghhh Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    As of last night, the exchange rate of D -> Zen was starting at 281:1.

And as for florghhh, and the OP, well... <points at sig> Done with that argument.
    Irony, someone using their own sig which they are quoting someone from, thinking it makes them infallable

I'm sorry, get over it. Basic math has nothing to do with economics. Again, you can claim how unfair it is, but hell, you don't even want to pay to begin with. The fact you just don't want to get it anyways is probably the funniest part. Changing the high or low part isn't going to change what people sell their Zen for in Q. And Cryptic isn't going to force people to change their Q prices just for you.

You can keep trying to say Cryptic owes you something, they don't. This is economics, and trying to throw math around like it means something isn't going to change what the market feels like.

In short, you are making up facts because you simply think you are self entitled to something. You are not.

I don't know which is funnier, the fact you think i think i'm self entitled, or make up claims i never will spend money, or how you think i'm making up math when i even showed you how to do your own basic math.

Or the fact that you still argue, with your own self-opinionated words saying even IF they did change this to reflect more on Zen, that it won't change prices.

Again, this time i'll try andsay it slowly for you especially, I have said multiple times now, i KNOW doing this woould not affect zen price, so why the hell are you so upset, and making it a personal vendetta to argue agaisnt this?

Seriously, why are you even arguing if it wouldn't affect what people sell for? If you're right, then even if they did change the limit ranges, it wouldn't hurt you. you're arguing for the sake of arguing, when if you're right, it wouldn't do a damned thing.

So, you can tell me to get over "incrorrect" math, but i will tell you to get over yourself. I spend money on this game, who are you to dare say i don't. I don't think cryptic owes me anything, and i'm not just trying to make them force prices down, because guess what? NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I SAY THIS, I KNOW FULL WELL CHANGING THE LIMITS WOULDN'T AFFECT PLAYER PRICES.

that's in caps for it to sink in.

Seriously to everyone who is simply arguiing against me on the basis "It's a moot point because values will never get near that mark anyway" Get a new argument, because that's just pointless, especially when if it comes to that, you'll still be firmly against it, because arguing it's not important untill it happens, implies it will be when it does, and then still be against it so you'll just be contradicting yourselves.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Actually, it is crying and whining. He wants Cryptic to force players to change how they value their Zen on the market. The market is constantly shifting in price, and he wants people to shift for him, or he wants Cryptic to come in and force a price change. It isn't going to happen.

Where in the hell did i ever say that, oh mysterious know-it-all of what's on peoples minds, give me your wisdom so i can too, give opinions on everything to everyone and correct them about what they are thinking!!!

I simply point out a change, and people like you jump down my throat for pointing out assuming i just want cryptic to force someonething changes on everyone. Now i understand why Lohr dislikes you, you're nothing but a troll with nothing better to do than call anyone you don't like a crier or a whiner for proving you wrong.

Heh; the only point I agreed with is that the minimums and maximums have changed with regard to their relationship to the buying power of Zen by staying at the same numbers as they were when the currency was CP; and that letting the devs know this in case they missed it didn't seem like a bad idea. As to what people are asking within those limits, that's their business.

Thank you, at least someone gets it.
  • Options
    thisisgilsthisisgils Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.

To summarise, what have we all learned here today?

1) After conversion, Zen is worth exactly as much as Cryptic Points were

2) Questionite is worth exactly the same as it was two weeks ago, by virtue of the prices in the Questionite store

3) Grind for Zen sucks, especially as the players set the exchange rate and as there is never as much Zen as Q (and a wider selection of things on the Zen store), the price will always favour those with Zen. Probably better to do one of those free little surveys for Zen than attempt to grind it

4) Players want Cryptic to increase the amount of Questionite you can farm in one day when the Q->Zen price is high, but don't want Cryptic to lower the amount of Questionite you can farm in one day when the Q->Zen price is low

5) Players are concerned that the min / max caps on the exchange put a hard cap on Questionite->Zen exchange rates, meaning that even at it's lowest, the exchange rate would still be 1.2x that of Q->Cryptic. Players seem to have conveniently forgotten that Cryptic pledged to review those min/max caps if and when they were hit, meaning that in all likelihood, if the low was hit, it could then drop lower, making these not so much a "hard" cap, but a "medium" cap :p

6) Haters gonna hate
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I thought we were on straight zen now but the conversion rate to champions and STO is still

100 zen you buy to 80 zen you get at champions/sto.

https://billing.perfectworld.com/exchange

So it seems prices have gone up , since we buy zen at the perfect world acct at 100 per $1,
    transfer it to champions and lose 20% in the process.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2012
    chaelk wrote: »
    I thought we were on straight zen now but the conversion rate to champions and STO is still

100 zen you buy to 80 zen you get at champions/sto.

https://billing.perfectworld.com/exchange

So it seems prices have gone up , since we buy zen at the perfect world acct at 100 per $1,
    transfer it to champions and lose 20% in the process.

Interesting, so unless it's not been updated yet, which i doubt atm, seeing as imo i think it would still mention CP somewhere if out of date, just means, we're still buying 80 per dollar, but the prices went up.

Clever. let's just hope it actually is just a mistake, but as champshewolf says, cryptic never make mistakes.

Also why is it those other games got to keep different premium currencies, they have silver/gold jaden silver/jaden, e-cent/e-buck etc. I just makes this entire conversion seem even more pointless to start with =\
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    florghhh wrote: »
    Interesting, so unless it's not been updated yet, which i doubt atm, seeing as imo i think it would still mention CP somewhere if out of date, just means, we're still buying 80 per dollar, but the prices went up.

Clever. let's just hope it actually is just a mistake, but as champshewolf says, cryptic never make mistakes.

Also why is it those other games got to keep different premium currencies, they have silver/gold jaden silver/jaden, e-cent/e-buck etc. I just makes this entire conversion seem even more pointless to start with =\

I think the page hasn't been updated for 2 reasons.

1. I used to get a warning that 100 Zen = 80 CP when I selected Champions/Star Trek to transfer Zen too before.

2. I was able to transfer 46 Zen the other day, which at a conversion rate of 5/4 = 36.8.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Hate to burst the rage bubble on this one, but to take advantage of the Questionite Zen exchange rates immediately after the CP conversion, I threw an extra 2000 Zen on to the market.

It appeared INSTANTLY in my Champions Online account as 2000 zen, so no, we're not losing anything in that conversion. Sorry, haters :(

Anyways, guys please stop raging. I need you to get back to the game so you can carry on farming my questionite for me. The boatload of hedged transactions I have up on the Q exchange aren't going to fund themselves you know! :)
  • Options
    lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thisisgils wrote: »
    Hate to burst the rage bubble on this one, but to take advantage of the Questionite Zen exchange rates immediately after the CP conversion, I threw an extra 2000 Zen on to the market.

It appeared INSTANTLY in my Champions Online account as 2000 zen, so no, we're not losing anything in that conversion. Sorry, haters :(

Anyways, guys please stop raging. I need you to get back to the game so you can carry on farming my questionite for me. The boatload of hedged transactions I have up on the Q exchange aren't going to fund themselves you know! :)

Same here. Transferred 2000 Zen to CO this last weekend, came over as 2000 Zen, no "conversion factor" used...

Its all working fine with no lose....
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    5) Players are concerned that the min / max caps on the exchange put a hard cap on Questionite->Zen exchange rates, meaning that even at it's lowest, the exchange rate would still be 1.2x that of Q->Cryptic. Players seem to have conveniently forgotten that Cryptic pledged to review those min/max caps if and when they were hit, meaning that in all likelihood, if the low was hit, it could then drop lower, making these not so much a "hard" cap, but a "medium" cap :p

Mmhhmm. Not to equate Q caps with serious issues, but they also promised to look into region bans on customers who'd bought LTS in good faith and the horribly unprofessional chat ban system. If I had any faith that they would come through on their promises, I'd be silent.

*Disclaimer* This is not aimed at devs or mods, who work for a living, but at whoever is making the decisions.

Willie Nelson

• Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This thread is most amusing. Just what I needed for a few smiles on a Monday morning.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Since the changeover, I've done a few of those surveys and things (and signed up for Netflix, which I'd been debating doing since they started letting you stream to all your devices - they have the original Star Trek with the remastered special effects! Makes "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" look much nicer...), and when transferring the Zen to CO, it's all gone through with no "conversion" - that is, 100 Zen in my wallet becomes 100 Zen in my CO account. Sometimes it won't transfer all of it, for reasons I have yet to fathom, but I can live with two or three Zen staying in my wallet for a while...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thankyou for those people who had noticed, I haven't transferred any that I have bought, as opposed to got from surveys lately. So I haven't been able to see if it goes thru as normal.

Now if they can get the banned areas sorted. from what I saw of the website listing companies and games they can market in them. The companies in the those countries only have licenses for the other games, if PWE doesn't give them the licence to sell/market CO in those areas, there shouldn't be any problem.

I couldn't find any mention of them being given ALL PWE games or being guaranteed all of them.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This thread is the gift that keeps on giving......
    *snip*
    6) Haters gonna hate

I so hate people that hate stuff :/
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    I so hate people that hate stuff :/

Well...

I heard you hate haters, so I'm gonna hate so you have another hater to hate when you're hater hating...

I also hate dill pickles...

I hate them best...

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    lokikin wrote: »
    Well...

I heard you hate haters, so I'm gonna hate so you have another hater to hate when you're hater hating...

I also hate dill pickles...

I hate them best...

I like dill pickles and admitting that caused me to die a little inside.

Sometimes I hate myself.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Sometimes I hate myself.

Well I don't hate you; actually, I like you...

Does that mean I like haters?

No, I think it means I need another beer...

I also like beer...

I like it best...

Laws yes!
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Sometimes I hate myself.

I hate myself... :cool:

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    frakthisgamefrakthisgame Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    New Silver player Bob has one character and only time to run one Daily Alert mission per day. He has no Q and no CP/Zen and being poor does not wish to pay any RL money but he wants to buy a Drifter Grab Bag. Assuming the average conversion rate is 1 CP to 200 Q over the time it takes him to acquire 80 CP, it will take him:

80CP x 200Q/1CP x 1Day/2000Q = 8 Days to earn enough CP to buy a Grab Bag.

After the conversion to Zen, Bob wants to buy another Grab Bag and still runs one character on one Daily Alert mission a day and assuming the average conversion rate is 1 Z to 200 Q over the time it takes him to acquire a now 100 Z, it will take him:

100Z x 200Q/1Z x 1Day/2000Q = ?? Days to earn enough Z to buy a Grab Bag?

Answer: 10 Days (Hint: 2 more days of grinding Q than before the conversion)

Wasn't that the OP's point?

Hate away.... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    New Silver player Bob has one character and only time to run one Daily Alert mission per day. He has no Q and no CP/Zen and being poor does not wish to pay any RL money but he wants to buy a Drifter Grab Bag. Assuming the average conversion rate is 1 CP to 200 Q over the time it takes him to acquire 80 CP, it will take him:

80CP x 200Q/1CP x 1Day/2000Q = 8 Days to earn enough CP to buy a Grab Bag.

After the conversion to Zen, Bob wants to buy another Grab Bag and still runs one character on one Daily Alert mission a day and assuming the average conversion rate is 1 Z to 200 Q over the time it takes him to acquire a now 100 Z, it will take him:

100Z x 200Q/1Z x 1Day/2000Q = ?? Days to earn enough Z to buy a Grab Bag?

Answer: 10 Days (Hint: 2 more days of grinding Q than before the conversion)

Wasn't that the OP's point?

Hate away.... :rolleyes:

To a certain extent, it is. Although that 200Q figure is the only player decided number, and people can't seem to separate that from looking at all the figures.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Assuming the average conversion rate is 1 CP to 200 Q over the time it takes him to acquire 80 CP

A poor assumption if the supply of Zen is going up.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    frakthisgamefrakthisgame Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »
    A poor assumption if the supply of Zen is going up.

It was the closest round number that made the devaluation of Q math easy to illustrate, cause clearly some of y'all need it as easy as possible.

Don't get too hung up on it. :tongue:
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It was the closest round number that made the devaluation of Q math easy to illustrate, cause clearly some of y'all need it as easy as possible.

Don't get too hung up on it. :tongue:

No round number works as the value is intended to fluctuate. An increase in the supply of Zen (previously Q) alters its market value to a degree comparable to the devaluation of Q that you describe as a result of the conversion.

If you feel comfortable giving out math lessons you should have no difficulty understanding that if you adjust both sides of an equation equally (approximately in this case) you maintain parity.

Your example portrays an equal exchange rate before and after the conversion. That is why it is invalid. An increase in supply on one side of the equation reduces the per unit value of that side. We'uns arent havin' problems wit da maff, y'alls maff is jest irrelvant cuz of ekinomiks.

I would expect some delay in market balance because the most recent additions to the game are in the Zen store rather than the Q store. The relative value of CP would have gone up compared to Q even if the conversion had not occurred becaase new shineys in the C-Store mean higher demand for CP/Zen.

Another thing that may very well delay market balance is people who came back intot he game after their Q exchange lots were returned to them as part of the update and just relisted at the same rate. If people choose to buy at that inflated rate...:rolleyes:

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Seeing as the Q -> Zen marketplace reached sub-160 levels recently, I thought it'd be prudent to add my rage to this post.

GRRR CRYPTIC/PW YOU SCREWED UP AGAIN!

Ever since you converted Cryptic Points to Zen, I've seen the value of my Cryptic Points / Zen slide and now as a result, my Zen is worth a lot less than it was when it was Cryptic Points. Don't try and confuddle me with this crazy "maths" thing you kids are talking about - this has nothing to do with a player-controlled market. Instead it has to do with.. um... erm... yes, Perfect World, that's it!

What we need to do to fix this horrible mess, is reduce the amount of Questionite that can be refined in a day. By doing that, players will have less Questionite, and the amount of Questionite I get for every Zen point that I have to grind will increase.

Please sort it out, Cryptic! Players will leave the game over this!
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Seeing as the Q -> Zen marketplace reached sub-160 levels recently, I thought it'd be prudent to add my rage to this post.

GRRR CRYPTIC/PW YOU SCREWED UP AGAIN!

Ever since you converted Cryptic Points to Zen, I've seen the value of my Cryptic Points / Zen slide and now as a result, my Zen is worth a lot less than it was when it was Cryptic Points. Don't try and confuddle me with this crazy "maths" thing you kids are talking about - this has nothing to do with a player-controlled market. Instead it has to do with.. um... erm... yes, Perfect World, that's it!

What we need to do to fix this horrible mess, is reduce the amount of Questionite that can be refined in a day. By doing that, players will have less Questionite, and the amount of Questionite I get for every Zen point that I have to grind will increase.

Please sort it out, Cryptic! Players will leave the game over this!

Don't know if that should be sarcasm .. if so its not really clear to notice it, beside the
    part written in big fat fonts crys a little that it could be .. :confused:

If not .. the prices are now more or less back to where they were before the conversion
    so i don't see your problem. Of course if you sell ZEN then the higher prices were in your
    favour after the conversion, but all the Q sellers were crying.

There is simply no way to make sellers and buyers happy at the same time :wink:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    Don't know if that should be sarcasm

Wooooooooooooooosh!