What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Japanese Hero Creation Guide

2»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    TylerF wrote:
    Very cool, though I think I like the name best. ;)

Lol, yes the name is rather cool ;)
    edited May 2012
    Attachment not found.

Just thought I'd post up an example from the Champions source material, Tetsuronin, who is totally a Metal Hero. He's also regarded as the most powerful powered armour using hero in the world (Take THAT Defender!)
    edited May 2012
    Ravenshold wrote:
    Thanks for the thread. I really like the color chart and plan to use same in the future. My wife and I designed a character (manga style) these are 4 costumes we came up with for each costume slot + super group. What do you think/

Being born in the land in question I would say the second one fits the bill ^__^
    edited May 2012
    Sprawler wrote:
    Attachment not found.
    Just thought I'd post up an example from the Champions source material, Tetsuronin, who is totally a Metal Hero. He's also regarded as the most powerful powered armour using hero in the world (Take THAT Defender!)

AWESOME! That's totally how he should look in CO! :D

[Edit:]
    Attachment not found.
    Here is a remake of Gokin I made some time ago. As he is supposed to look like an oversized action figure and not just like a Protector Droid, I suggested replacing his in-game model with something more like this - to no avail, of course. :(
    The example costume for Metal Heroes in the OP is actually based on this one.

The last Japanes superhero who was discribed in the source books, Charm Girl, would be difficult to remake though, because she changes her costume as she pleases. ^^°
    edited May 2012
    I get bored sometimes and make Kamen Riders, not often but, I decided I am going to save up C points from Q exchangin' and buy the Fist, so, here are two costumes I made to repersent a modernish showa era Kamen Rider (my head still needs work but otherwise, I think they look good.)

Attachment not found. Attachment not found.
    edited May 2012
    Kurobasa wrote:

I like them. Well done. b^^
    edited May 2012
    Thanks, sadly can't have wrapped scarf with the chest piece so a bandanna worked as well I thought.
    edited June 2012
    You're doing it wrong! :eek:

Well, if you followed this thread, you likely didn't do it wrong. ^^°
    But recently, I had a discussion about what are really Japanese-style heroes and what are only stylized Japanese heroes. And I think in order to do it right, it can't hurt to know how it's done wrong. So this time, we talk about common mistakes western creators make with their Japanese heroes, and how to avoid them.

Rule #1: Careful with the "Japsploitation", Citizen!

We Westerners have a tendency to create superheroes with strong ties to their national identity (read: ethnical and cultural stereotypes), especially for characters of foreign origin. Everyone knows the people of the USA are very patriotic and making a big deal of one's national origin/identity, so it seems only natural to many of them. Therefore, when a foreign character appears in a comic, it seems only natural to point out just how foreign and how proud of it he is - except that, obviously, not everyone in the world is a huge patriot and not every superhero likes to wear a flag on his face. There are plenty of non-national-themed American heroes, so why should every foreign hero be a Captain America expy? Seriously, they just shouldn't.

But because of this trend, most of the Japanese heroes and villains in US comics subjects to the "Captain Ethnic" trope and centered around what little the average American knows - or more like; thinks to know - about Japan and it's culture: Samurai, ninja, karate, sumo, honor, Yakuza, giant monsters, ih-tech, mecha, odd fashion trends, some demons and maybe tentacles. The characters resulting from this are caricatures at best.

Of course, that doesn't mean using Japanese tropes for a Japanese superhero gimmick can't work well. For example: Kamen Rider Hibiki was partly themed on Japanese folkore, especially Oni. Kamen Rider ZX, Sekai Ninja Jiraiya, Ninpuu Sentai Hurricanger and Ninja Sentai Kakuranger were ninjas, the later even making fun of "pop culture ninjas". Samurai Sentai Shinkenger are samurai, obviously. And Hikounin Sentai Akibaranger (The inofficial Sentai! ^^) are otaku of all things!
    But these all make sense in context - except for Kamen Rider ZX, but his tacked-on ninja-gimmick is nowhere near obvious,

See, if you want to create a good Japanese superhero, don't think "He is Japanese, so let's just give him a Japnese theme!" Rather think "He is Japanese, but why should he have a Japanese theme?" And if you can come up with a good answer to that question, you can easily run with it. ;)

Rule #2: The Rule of Cool - Don't let a theme restrict you!

Okay. Let's take a look at some superhero concepts and see if we can find a pattern.

First, an American-made Japanese hero. The most popular one appears to be Sunfire - even though he has been a villain more often than a (anti-)hero.
    Attachment not found.
    Powers: Mutant power of atomic fire.
    Origin: Hiroshima. Nuff said...
    Costume theme: Flames and the red sun symbol of the old Japanese national flag.
    Personality: An arrogant hot-head who hates everything American.
    Special Note: He later became the supervillain Famine, one of Apocalypse's Horsemen.
    Bottom Line: Xenophobia and insensitivity aside, he is all about fire and themed on something typically Japanese.

Now for an all American superhero. I chose Champions Online's very own Kinetic. I could have chosen The Flash instead, of course. But truth be told, I know more about Kinetic than about any of the Flashes. ^^°
    Attachment not found.
    Powers: Mutate power of superspeed.
    Origin: A chemical accident. Pretty generic.
    Costume theme: Lightning bolts. And his boots resemble athletic shoes.
    Personality: Upbeat and impatient.
    Special Note: Being a speedster, he does everything fast. Of course!
    Bottom Line: Kinetic is all about speed. His costume, his name, his personality and of course his powers; all scream "FAST!"

And now, for a Japanese superhero actually made in Japan. For that, I choose the one who appears to have the most fans in the Western world: Kabuto of the Kamen Rider franchise.
    Attachment not found.
    Powers: Superspeed and tachyon fields, granted by his power armor.
    Origin: Member of a secret organization fighting against alien invaders. His transformation device is a sentient robot beetle who chose him as its user (sounds familiar, doesn't is? He predates the current Blue Beetle, btw. ^^)
    Costume theme: A rhinoceros beetle.
    Personality: Calm, good-natured and wise talking, yet also a determined badass . And he can be surprisingly humorous at times.
    Special Note: He moves surprisingly slow most of the time, even though he can be too fast for the human eye to see and potentially even outrun time itself. Kabuto is just so cool that he doesn't make any unnecessary moves.
    Bottom Line: "WTF? How does that fit together as a concept?" one might think. Well, it just does!
    Let me explain it.

Western superheroes tend to have one specific theme their whole character is centered around. If he was created for American comics, Kabuto would likely be a huge and bulky tank. Being slow and strong fits our image of rhino beetles and power armor much better. And being hectic and cheerful fits our image of someone who is fast better.
    Japanese superheroes, on the other hand, run simply on the Rule of Cool. Sure, power armor and a rhino beetle sound more like a theme for a brick than for a speedster. And if a character has the ability to be super-fast, you'd think he would use it by every chance given.
    But thinking about it; why not?! Why shouldn't a beetle-themed hero be super fast, but only when he feels a need to? ^^
    Superspeed is cool. Power armor is cool. Badass action heroes are cool. Beetles are cool too (but to fully understand that, it takes a bit of insight in Japanese culture ^^°). So, Kabuto is an all around cool guy. Also, he roundhouse-kicks aliens and doesn't afraid of anything. No wonder why so many Westerners love him. :cool:

Rule #3: Think about the name. Is it really awesome?

The Captain Ethnic trope may have become old, but Japsploitation is still an issue with "modern" Japanese heroes made in USA. Teams like Big Science Action and Super Young Team still make the same mistakes as the old Super Friends and the not-so-old Big Hero 6 - only in a different way. They have downright silly stories and even sillier names, yet they are not written as comecic characters, but completely serious. Because, you know, being weird and silly is what the Japanese do.
    So, these characters run on the Rule of Silly (SYT's leader is pretty much a Foxbat expy, for crying out loud!), not on the Rule of Cool, simply because their authors try to write about something they barely understand. And in the worst cases, they don't even try to understand it. And worst of all, they try to make fun of it in an unfunny way or actually think that all this weird, silly and borderline offensive stuff would be considered perfectly normal and serious in Japan.
    And nothing makes this more obvious than the characters names.

For example; the names of the Super Young Team members - and the team's name too.
    * Most Excelent Superbat
    * Big Atomic Lantern Boy
    * Shy Crazy Lolita Canary
    * Shiny Happy Aquazon
    * Well-Spoken Sonic Lightning Flash
    * Sunny Sumo
    (Before someone points this out: Yes, they are a JLA parody mixed with Japanese stereotypes, and not only for that a pretty unfunny one.)
    Japanese superheroes really tend to have such "Word Salad Names", but they use these because they sound cool or actually make sense in Japanese. But these guys were named this way just because "Japanese superheroes have long and silly names". And there is the problem, right here: If it's not meant to be funny and silly, don't make it!
    A selfrespecting Japanese heroine might name herself Aquazon or Kanaria (Canary), but likely not Shiny Happy Aquazon or Shy Crazy Lolita Canary. These names are just meant to sound silly, but they are not funny if played straight as in their comics.

Notice that there is a difference between a Japanese superheroes actuall name and his full name including a title. These titles are meant to further discribe the character or his connection to something, but are not really part of his name. For example; Kamen RIder Kuuga. No one actually called him a Kamen Rider in his series. Or for an American example; Deathstroke the Terminator. Most of the time, he is simply called Deathstroke. Characters are called only by their names for an obvious reason: Saying the title every time makes it unnecessarily long and complicated.
    Also, a title should make sense, even if it sounds silly (in English). There is a Japanese superheroine called Denpa Ningen Takuru (Electro-Magnetic Wave Human Tackle), but at least her title discribes her powers. Why exactly she called herself Tackle was never explained though... ^^°

In a nutshell: If using a silly name, it better be a parody character. If your char has a title (which is common for Japanese heroes indeed), treat it as a title and don't use it every time your heroe's name is said. And if a name and/or title sounds unintentionally silly in English, just don't spell in it in English! ;)
    edited June 2012
    As were talking Japanese heroes I thought it be about time the most famous of all of them gets posted .

Atom / Astro Boy.
    edited June 2012
    Sprawler wrote:
    Attachment not found.

That's quite a coincidence Sprawler (how are you doing anyway?). I've never heard of this guy before, but for the last couple of days I've been working on a Japanese power armour hero who mixes the tech and traditional look.

I wanted to use the name Red Ronin but, wouldn't you know it, CO doesn't allow the use of the word Ronin at all:mad: (I blame hawkeye).

I finally settled on the name Honour Guard, but will probably change it when I find a more suitable one. anyway, here he is......
    edited June 2012
    That's quite a coincidence Sprawler (how are you doing anyway?). I've never heard of this guy before, but for the last couple of days I've been working on a Japanese power armour hero who mixes the tech and traditional look.

I wanted to use the name Red Ronin but, wouldn't you know it, CO doesn't allow the use of the word Ronin at all:mad: (I blame hawkeye).

I finally settled on the name Honour Guard, but will probably change it when I find a more suitable one. anyway, here he is......

That is probably the best use of that chest piece I have ever seen. Mainly because most people over use the glow on that whole set. Nice job though.
    edited June 2012
    Benevon wrote:
    That is probably the best use of that chest piece I have ever seen. Mainly because most people over use the glow on that whole set. Nice job though.

Thanks for the compliment! If there's one thing I've learned in CO it's "don't overuse the glow"

On a further note, I may have found a better name. Samuraikatagi means 'samurai spirit', and as he sees himself as a modern-day samurai..........:)
    edited June 2012
    Huh. I only just found this now.

I really should go and update Panacea's "old" magical girl costume sometime.
    edited June 2012
    Great designs.

The good ol Kamen Riders and Super Sentai XD.
    edited June 2012
    Yeah yeah, lol. While I don't watch Super Sentai, I do know where your avatar comes from (Go-Busters!) and your name was well (Kamen Rider Blade.)
    edited June 2012
    Hmm no Bishonen in your archetypes?
    edited June 2012
    Hmm no Bishonen in your archetypes?

Bishonen (pretty boys) don't really have much to do with superheroes. Actually, these are mostly either boy-next-door types or super-manly. ^^°
    Except in the Magical Girl genre, of course. Magical boys are usually bishonen. ;)
    edited June 2012
    Dragonlord247 asked me for these costumes. ^^

A "female barbarian".
    I made her an Oni. I hope that works for you. :D

A "kunoichi from hundreds of years ago, winds up in modern times".
    I tried so make this one a little more realistic, but still sexy. Her clothes are dark navy blue instead of black and she carries many different weapons, making her look like a medieval Japanese commando.

A "samurai-like Magical Boy"
    He's pretty heavily armored, making him a borderline Armor Hero. :o
    edited June 2012
    While I think this thread is very informative, and I am very much in support of Cryptic adding more Anime like stuff, such as Magical Girl style costume transformations and Ranger style team power combination attacks, I have a comment to make about the OP's information regarding magical girls.

There's Magical Girl style type manga and anime Kampfer. At least Magical Girl is as close as you can get to a real genre with that series. In it, the main character is a boy who is a magical girl. That is when he transforms, he turns into a girl. This causes him much embarassment. He has a magical girl partner who is a shy, timid individual when she is not transformed, and when she is transformed, she becomes a vulgar brute of a girl who enjoys using guns... a lot...
    Here is a video showing all of the transformations from Kampfer. The one at the end with the blue hair, that's the the main character, a boy, transforming into a girl. As a girl, "she" is considered to be the hottest student in the school. Also, only the other kampfers know, because they can sense each other and kampfers can only be girls. So when a boy is sensed as being a kampfer, well, the cat's out of the bag as it were.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdkja5UBVPg

Then there's Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
    This video demonstrates Lyrical Nanoha and her tech based powers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtB2TN2GOww

Air Girls is another Magical Girl series that is all tech based. The transformations involve suiting up into their power armor (in style). The attacks involve very big and powerful guns. The mechs they pilot are more like power armor and are actually smaller than a typical fighter jet.
    Here is the intro to Sky Girls which demonstrates that it's very very tech based.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5S8PDguFpg

Zettai Karen Children, which I unfortunately lack video links for, involves three girls at a special school whose powers are much closer to X-Men in origin, that is evolution. Their transformation sequences involve their teacher pressing a button which switches off their power inhibiting collars. Then they are allowed to go absolutely apeshit on the bad guys. The red head in the show is a particularily powerful telekinetic that could probably thrash Grond around like a ragdoll.

Finally, my personal favorite magical girl series, Tokyo Mew Mew has its magical girls being the result of genetic engineering. So another non-magic based Magical Girl, and considerably less of a stretch to call it Magical Girl than Sky Girls. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3UOM95Pz_I In this video you can see how the transformation sequences involve blatant and obvious DNA strands, emphasizing the genetic, not magical origin of their abilities.

There are countless other examples of magical girls not being magical. As for the Kampfers, nobody knows how they get their powers, but it's probably magic. At any rate, the reason I mentioned it is it's a boy in a magical girl show that's actually the lead magical girl, so it defies the very first assertion by the OP.

There are many genres of heroes that would work quite well that were *not* addressed. Such as Soul Eater ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14Bw24MS458 ). I have a character inspired by the scythe wielding girl in this clip of Soul Eater. Thing is, while my character is inspired by her, there's very little of the Soul Eater character in my own character. She's an immortal girl who wields a sentient bat scythe. That's about it.
  • unkomanplusunkomanplus Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Oh gosh... now all the attached pictures are gone. I was totally pumped for this thread too.
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Oh gosh... now all the attached pictures are gone. I was totally pumped for this thread too.

Really, I hope they bring that function back. How are we supposed to share costumes without posting them?! :frown:
  • cyberruckcyberruck Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thanks man this is really intresting.