test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Naming Filter Oddity

amosov78amosov78 Posts: 98 Arc User
Is it me or is the naming filter in CO really weird? I tried using the name Hyperion but it tells me the name has restricted characters in it. At first I thought it might be because the IP already has someone with that name (not that he'll ever appear in-game) however I also have a character named Bloodstone, who quite clearly does appear in-game already.

It can't even be because Marvel has a character named that, as I've seen plenty of Thor's and Hercules' running about.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• grapemoussegrapemousse Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    All the copyrighted names are locked. Thor and Hercules are both mythological/historical figures, so those names cannot be copyrighted.

LIFETIMER since 23/01/2012 || Join Date: Sep 2009

Can be reached in-game as @PoochieHellhound

Support me on YouTube!
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Is it me or is the naming filter in CO really weird? I tried using the name Hyperion but it tells me the name has restricted characters in it. At first I thought it might be because the IP already has someone with that name (not that he'll ever appear in-game) however I also have a character named Bloodstone, who quite clearly does appear in-game already.

It can't even be because Marvel has a character named that, as I've seen plenty of Thor's and Hercules' running about.

Hercules is an ancient greek myth that cant get copyrighted.

Thor is actually still worshiped in some areas he is classed as a deity so I guess they cant copy right that...

...but wait Cryptic has messed up type in the name Raiden and it doesnt allow it ..now I know WB cant copy right Raiden due to it being a Shinto god and all that ( i am Shinto so shut up -.- ) So ya its all crazy messed up like you said :/
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well, Hyperion is also an ancient Greek deity, so that logic is a bit flawed. :confused:
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thor is still worshiped by the Asatru, so his name can't be trademarked by Marvel (although they have trademarked their Thor's appearance, so you still can't clone him). The name "Hercules", while not actually being the name of the figure from Greek mythology (that would be Herakles), is in the public domain due to its having been used in another published work in the past couple of centuries whose copyright was allowed to lapse. (Thus, Marvel couldn't tm that one either, although again they have the trademark on the big burly guy with the green leather harness and brown afro.)

"Hyperion", on the other hand, was originally a Titan, but one so obscure (since his initial sun duties were assumed by Helios) as to generally be mentioned only in lists of Titans. (It's also one of the moons of Saturn, since those are all named for Titans, aside, amusingly, from Titan itself.) Thus, since it hadn't been used in fiction in centuries, Marvel was able to trademark the name for their Superman expy in the various Squadron Supreme series. And every so often, they publish some new version so they can show they're "vigorously defending" their trademark. (Besides, I for one really liked Straczynski's take on the concept in Supreme Power.) Now, while a case could be made that just using the name is not a violation of their trademark, rather than spending hours in court Cryptic has chosen to simply lock out the name.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well, Hyperion is also an ancient Greek deity, so that logic is a bit flawed. :confused:

Flawed logic? In my cryptic??

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Marvel does have a character named Hyperion which presumably they still own the rights.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_(comics)

It's very likely whoever programmed the filter wasn't aware of the mythological Titan and uncle to Zeus.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • craybesttcraybestt Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I remember trying to use the word "demon" in my bio once and I'm pretty sure it was not allowed either. But I'm not too sure about that.
    All the copyrighted names are locked. Thor and Hercules are both mythological/historical figures, so those names cannot be copyrighted.

The link in my opening post clearly shows that Hyperion is also a Greek deity, and cannot be copyrighted. Now, as I said before there's a British hero in the Champions IP itself who goes by that name. However that's unlikely to be the reason for the name being restricted, otherwise Albion would also be restricted but currently isn't.
  • ethanmorriganethanmorrigan Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I got the same issue as i tried to name my char "Aurora".

Formerly known as Rei_Kisagi

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Aurora is the greek goddess of the dawn but also a Marvel character who was in Alpha flight along wiht N orthstar(her brother) Puck and I can't remember the rest becasue I haven't read them for about 10 years
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• amosov78amosov78 Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Marvel comics also has two characters named Albion (one & two), yet you can use that name freely in Champions. I'm not sure why Aurora and Hyperion would be any different.
    edited July 2012
    "Albion" is also an ancient name for England. Again, not trademarkable. (Oh, hush up, spellcheck - it is too a word!) They'd have a case with "Aurora", but as with "Hyperion", it's easier on Cryptic's legal staff (much smaller and less vicious than Disney's) to just block the names to avoid trouble. (Besides, neither of the Marvel Albions have been mainstays of any books, at least recently. Not sure if Supreme Power is still being published, but it was not that long ago, and Aurora does make occasional visits to her brother in X-Men.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

edited July 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    "Albion" is also an ancient name for England. Again, not trademarkable. (Oh, hush up, spellcheck - it is too a word!) They'd have a case with "Aurora", but as with "Hyperion", it's easier on Cryptic's legal staff (much smaller and less vicious than Disney's) to just block the names to avoid trouble. (Besides, neither of the Marvel Albions have been mainstays of any books, at least recently. Not sure if Supreme Power is still being published, but it was not that long ago, and Aurora does make occasional visits to her brother in X-Men.)

But they aren't blocking Thor, and almost 90% of those I've seen in-game look like Marvel's version. So the issue still is? They're not blocking names like "Lady Briton" despite that character existing already, most recently Psylocke calling herself it in the comics.
    edited July 2012
    But they aren't blocking Thor, and almost 90% of those I've seen in-game look like Marvel's version. So the issue still is?
    Again, "Thor" can't be trademarked by Marvel because of the religious angle; the ones you see in game exist because some people just want to flaunt the trademark*, and there is a cadre of folks in the game who seem to feel that reporting their ToS violations is a Bad Thing. When they get reported, however, they get genericed - nothing like someone getting that for the first time, and complaining in chat about why they're suddenly wearing a T-shirt and jeans instead of their lovingly crafted copycat suit...

*Most of this group are convinced that since Marvel settled out of court when they sued Cryptic during the City of Heroes case, that meant somehow that Cryptic "won" and Marvel would never sue them again. In fact, they settled because the characters being presented as evidence were all made by Marvel employees, which rather weakened their case. In exchange for Marvel dropping the case, Cryptic agreed to police their player base and remove any trademark violations. Today, Marvel is owned by Disney - a company that rather famously sued a day-care in Florida last year for painting Disney characters on a wall without a license. I don't think they'd give up so easily now, especially since so many people seem to be so happy to make their case for them...

• fosagfosag Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Want freaky?
    Kall is blocked. (Or used to be)

Kall=Kal-L
    edited July 2012
    fosag wrote: »
    Want freaky?

Kall=Kal-L
    The Superman of Earth-2, back before Flashpoint and the New 52. (Main DC Superman, of course, is Kal-El...)

edited July 2012
    Want freaky?

Kall=Kal-L

God is also restricted; though oddly God Almighty isn't.
    edited July 2012
    The Superman of Earth-2, back before Flashpoint and the New 52. (Main DC Superman, of course, is Kal-El...)
    Perfect explanation as to why Kall is blocked.
    God is also restricted; though oddly God Almighty isn't.
    Oh deary me. As long as Bruce Almighty is restricted we should be fine.
  • zenzenarimasenzenzenarimasen Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Seriously? That's your explanation? Thor and Hercules? Seriously? Somebody better tell the Norse and Romans that they're violating Marvel's trademarks! Has it occurred to you that those names aren't protected because any law suit brought for IP infringement by Marvel regarding names which were already being used in a superhero like context THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO has a snowball's chance in hell of even being heard by a court?

Names are covered by patent law. If a name is prior art, it cannot be protected by trademark. The only things about Hercules and Thor that are trademarked are the very specific changes done to their respective mythologies and to the artistic idea behind the character's appearance. That is to say that the name Thor is fine and dandy to use. The costume of Marvel's Thor combined with the name Thor, however is not.

You can't copyright a freaking name. How many times do I have to explain this to you people? Names cannot be copyrighted. Here, look... http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html See this? Read it.

Here, I'll quote the official Copyright Office FAQ for you in case you don't want to click the link.
    How do I copyright a name, title, slogan, or logo?
    Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks. Contact the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 800-786-9199, for further information. However, copyright protection may be available for logo artwork that contains sufficient authorship. In some circumstances, an artistic logo may also be protected as a trademark.

Do you see now?

I am not a lawyer, none of what I have said is legal advice. I am however in the business of video game development. As such, it behooves me to know what the law says on things so I can avoid getting my butt sued and make sure that my own stuff is able to be protected.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
    edited July 2012
    (I would like to note here that I, at least, have been careful to use the word "trademark"..) :biggrin:

• grapemoussegrapemousse Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    (I would like to note here that I, at least, have been careful to use the word "trademark"..) :biggrin:
    Yeah, seems you need to be real careful before you make a post around here, you may offend people in ways you didn't even know was possible.

LIFETIMER since 23/01/2012 || Join Date: Sep 2009

Can be reached in-game as @PoochieHellhound

Support me on YouTube!
  • bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well known names from popular mythology like Thor and Hercules are impossible to trademark due to their regular occurance in print and other media.

Obscure names like the Hyperion are easier to trademark due to the fact that trademark is based on public perception and most books of Greek Mythology only name the Titan Chronos.

The particular appearance of Marvel's Thor and Hercules is another story however and is capable of being trademarked. You'll notice that both the backstory and appearance of Marvel's and DC's Hercules are vastly different, (Marvel's is the one from Greek Mythology, DC's is a Lord of Magic with incredible strength using the name Hercules.)

So to answer your question, well known names from various mythologies, not trademarkable, obscure names from various mythologies, trademarkable.
    edited July 2012
    Seriously? That's your explanation? Thor and Hercules? Seriously? Somebody better tell the Norse and Romans that they're violating Marvel's trademarks! Has it occurred to you that those names aren't protected because any law suit brought for IP infringement by Marvel regarding names which were already being used in a superhero like context THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO has a snowball's chance in hell of even being heard by a court?

Names are covered by patent law. If a name is prior art, it cannot be protected by trademark. The only things about Hercules and Thor that are trademarked are the very specific changes done to their respective mythologies and to the artistic idea behind the character's appearance. That is to say that the name Thor is fine and dandy to use. The costume of Marvel's Thor combined with the name Thor, however is not.

I actually did know that, however as I said Hyperion is a known Greek Deity, and I at least thought a well known one. I assumed, as has been said before when Cryptic in City of Heroes restricted names, that this was because they were associated with an existing character, usually one in either DC or Marvel comics. I did not mention that they were copyrighted, just that they were trying to avoid potential legal wrangling as has happened before.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2012
    Actually, there is (at least it should be) a workaround for this issue.
    When i was making my nemesis game told me that name Haywire has restricted characters in it. I named him Lord Haywire and everything was fine.
    Maybe Lord Hyperion (or something similar) isn't a restricted name?
    I hope that same goes for Aurora, as I want to make a PA superhero with such name, inspired by this ship.
    edited July 2012
    Actually, there is (at least it should be) a workaround for this issue.
    When i was making my nemesis game told me that name Haywire has restricted characters in it. I named him Lord Haywire and everything was fine.
    Maybe Lord Hyperion (or something similar) isn't a restricted name?
    I hope that same goes for Aurora, as I want to make a PA superhero with such name, inspired by this ship.

I already tried putting words and numbers both in front and behind it. Unless they're actually joined up as all one word then it is still a no go.
  • ukatoenasniukatoenasni Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    bluedarky wrote: »
    Well known names from popular mythology like Thor and Hercules are impossible to trademark due to their regular occurance in print and other media.

Obscure names like the Hyperion are easier to trademark due to the fact that trademark is based on public perception and most books of Greek Mythology only name the Titan Chronos.

The particular appearance of Marvel's Thor and Hercules is another story however and is capable of being trademarked. You'll notice that both the backstory and appearance of Marvel's and DC's Hercules are vastly different, (Marvel's is the one from Greek Mythology, DC's is a Lord of Magic with incredible strength using the name Hercules.)

So to answer your question, well known names from various mythologies, not trademarkable, obscure names from various mythologies, trademarkable.

Highlighted the important bit, though the entire post is relevant. It's a complex issue, sure, but it's not that complex.

Also, the bolded portion has pretty well been pointed out in this thread once already.

[SIGPIC]Also, this poster rambles.[/SIGPIC]
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    For the record, I dispise name restrictions and the trademark issue with every fiber of my being. And I blame amosov78 for bringing up the topic.

BLAME YOU! :tongue:
    (even though you are innocent of being name blocked for trying to use a freaking mythological name)

PS: And nobody use the word "copyright" or formerly know as Metallurgist will rain down on you with bloody vengeance.

PS: And nobody use the word "copyright" or formerly know as Metallurgist will rain down on you with bloody vengeance.

Everyone has pet peeves. Even amongst the flailing and snarling (WARNING: That may be a dramatization, because we really needed more drama in this thread), there's a good point and some handy info in Metallurgist's comment.

To paraphrase the great Morbo: COPYRIGHT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY, GOOD NIGHT.

edited July 2012
    Everyone has pet peeves. Even amongst the flailing and snarling (WARNING: That may be a dramatization, because we really needed more drama in this thread), there's a good point and some handy info in Metallurgist's comment.

To paraphrase the great Morbo: COPYRIGHT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY, GOOD NIGHT.

Hehehe, I know. I was all in good humor. I actually started using the word "trademark" every time this issue came up many moons ago after reading a lengthy reply from still known back then as Metallurgist on the distinction between the words and their proper usage in this type of matters. And thank her for the clarification and usefull information :wink:
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This brings up another question; what happens if Cryptic bring the hero "Hyperion", who exists in the Champions PnP, into the game?

Then he'd either be an Alert boss if he is a villain or he'd dole out event oriented missions if he's a hero.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    "White Dwarf" is in the filter :frown:
    So i had to go with "Whyte Dwarf" :tongue:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • yannsolo75yannsolo75 Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Problem is, everything is either a marvel or a DC char. I discovered a "Game Master" name-lock recently, I had no idea this guy existed

Also, the character bio has problems with cusswords, you can't write "he regenerates when he's hit by ennemies", and that's terrible
    I hit the same thing when I tried to name my character "Raven Wing"...

Honestly I'm kind of glad it happened. (The Blazing) "Red Ribbon" turned out to be a far more entertaining character.
    edited July 2012
    I don't think "Game Master" was locked for trademark reasons - I think the reason was much simpler than that...

• neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Then he'd either be an Alert boss if he is a villain or he'd dole out event oriented missions if he's a hero.

Heh heh, I saw what you did there. And I approve this message. :biggrin:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You can't copyright a freaking name. How many times do I have to explain this to you people?

In his defense, he does have a join date of July 2012.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    yannsolo75 wrote: »
    Problem is, everything is either a marvel or a DC char. I discovered a "Game Master" name-lock recently, I had no idea this guy existed

Makes me wonder if Marvel has actually just copyrighted each word of the Duden, or simply
    just every letter in the alpabet :rolleyes:
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited July 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »
    In his defense, he does have a join date of July 2012.
    Everyone does. :wink:
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Everyone does. :wink:

Yup, that was the joke...:tongue:

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have been fairly lucky so far as I have hd only 2 blocked names. Bizzarely what was allowed in beta changed on live. Thus Hornet in beta wasn't allowed in live whilst N.E.M.E.S.I.S, Nuclear Electro-Magnetic Energy Source Infantry Suit, wasn't allowed at one time but is now.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I cannot add homo sapiens robustus to one of my characters because is censored :c

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
    edited July 2012
    klitty wrote: »
    I cannot add homo sapiens robustus to one of my characters because is censored :c
    Evolutionist!

Did we get any torches or pitchforks during the PWE takeover? :smile:
    (also it's australopithecine)
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,619 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My only beef with these restrictions is the word angel. Really?
    edited July 2012
    My only beef with these restrictions is the word angel. Really?
    Sigh. Has he been forgotten already?

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited July 2012

That's funny, I tried using that same exact name as well and was pretty disappointed when I couldn't (for some reason, that name was stuck in my head forever so I wanted to use it as a character).

So, I ended up naming the character "Nova."

Yep.
    biffsig.jpg
  • ukatoenasniukatoenasni Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Basic rule-of-thumb here - Incidence of frequency in common vernacular = the harder it is to trademark a name. As frequency goes down, the easier it is to trademark the name in addition to the character itself.

Commonly used words/names (Thor and Zeus, for example, are used with great frequency in a broad array of texts and fields; Nova is an astronomical term and used HEAVILY in the field; Etcetra) are harder to trademark the words themselves, and have a harder time proving that any one particular incident is related to that specific trademark.

Uncommonly used ones are a bit easier to trademark, and thus easier to defend in court (as it doesn't show up near often enough, and thus the chance that it's referring to some other thing is significantly lessened - or that's the case that can be made).

Rarely used ones are, likewise, even easier then that to trademark, and usually won't make it to a court in the first place.

We can continue to argue semantics about it, but that's the gist.

edited July 2012

Given that trademarks are based on being...
    ...a distinctive sign or indicator used by an individual, business organization, or other legal entity to identify for consumers that the products or services on or with which the trademark appears originate from a unique source, designated for a specific market, and to distinguish its products or services from those of other entities.

...and the fact that "angel" is a commonly used word in the english language, and there are many characters in the genre and related genres that are angels, related to angels or use "angel" somehow in their name... Yeah, I would say people having an issue with "angel" being a restricted word would make perfect sense.

To me there's nothing distinctive about that word, and I don't normally think of the X-Men character when the word comes up, or even when thinking of X-Men characters in general. I have to specifically be reminded that he exists in order to go.. "Oh, yeah... there IS an X-Men character named that. There's also one in the Buffy universe...(which Im more likely to remember and actually own the entire series in DVD :tongue:)"

Not saying there isn't oddities in the naming filter, but some of the ones that are in there have some pretty good logic behind it.

EDIT: Though we also have to remember that most of the names in the 'denial' filter are also likely taken in a Superhero context - how many characters in a superhero context do you know named 'Angel'? I can count 6 and at least 4-5 of those are Marvel and that's just off the top of my head.

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Basic rule-of-thumb here - Incidence of frequency in common vernacular = the harder it is to trademark a name. As frequency goes down, the easier it is to trademark the name in addition to the character itself.

Commonly used words/names (Thor and Zeus, for example, are used with great frequency in a broad array of texts and fields; Nova is an astronomical term and used HEAVILY in the field; Etcetra) are harder to trademark the words themselves, and have a harder time proving that any one particular incident is related to that specific trademark.

Uncommonly used ones are a bit easier to trademark, and thus easier to defend in court (as it doesn't show up near often enough, and thus the chance that it's referring to some other thing is significantly lessened - or that's the case that can be made).

Rarely used ones are, likewise, even easier then that to trademark, and usually won't make it to a court in the first place.

We can continue to argue semantics about it, but that's the gist.

I don't think the name filter really has anything to do with frequency of word usage.

Sure, people say "nova" a lot, but I hear the word "tomorrow" a lot more. :)
    biffsig.jpg