test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Haha, I'm a spammer!

124»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Deadpool's regeneration is about as broken as Logan's. Constantly supercharging his cancer and fixing the damage it causes at the same time. All the kids that worship and clone him seem to care only about the fact that he's insane and breaks the fourth wall. You could probably count on one hand the number of deadpool clone players that actually know why he's called Deadpool.

keep in mind all taht stuff is new retconned BS. In the old days it was simple. He had cancer. He was also among the worlds best mercs and had no one and nothing to care about him. THey made him an offer. they used Wolverines DNA to create a retro virus. It wasnt a one shot and done thing. It was applied in stages. During that they tortured the hell out of him, burning, skinning, breaking out his teeth are all just a few of the things he had mentioned in the earlier days. This was why he was so scarred up because the healing factor didnt repair old scars and the earlier attempts didnt make him quite so unstoppable.

The wolverine healing factor issue is alot more complex since they stated it was actually always godly but the mere presence of adamantium in his system kept it under constant strain limiting it to about a 3rrd of its power. It was further stressed to the point of not working for some time after Mags ripped it all out. And then was actually kick started by getting deadpools blood in him during a fight.

Back then ofcourse fans still debated on whether the bone claws where natural or his body/healing factor compensating for the absence of the metal ones, which had in various soruces previously been described as being forged of adamantium and most felt that they had been implanted specifically during the bonding process, not just some random side effect.
    edited September 2011
    Bah, shotguns. High power anti-zombie crossbow ftw. Easier to repair, easier to get ammo for (up to and including making it yourself), and silent.

...not that shotguns don't have a place (if they already know you're there, further stealth measures have diminished purpose), or that firearms in general are a bad sell (reloadability), but they have some significant downsides depending entirely on the level of infestation/apocalypse you're dealing with. Gotta be prepared for all situations!

Working on my rapid reload feat here lately...
    edited September 2011
    if you have really strong legs.... holding a closet door as a shield and running through the mass can be effective..... but there is no room for error.... or slippery shoes.

edited September 2011
    Bah, shotguns. High power anti-zombie crossbow ftw. Easier to repair, easier to get ammo for (up to and including making it yourself), and silent.

...not that shotguns don't have a place (if they already know you're there, further stealth measures have diminished purpose), or that firearms in general are a bad sell (reloadability), but they have some significant downsides depending entirely on the level of infestation/apocalypse you're dealing with. Gotta be prepared for all situations!

Working on my rapid reload feat here lately...

first reloading shot gun ammo is EASY. making Gun powder is EASY. And I own a black powder Howdah to just for extra end of the world short on supplies going low tech style readiness.
    edited September 2011
    Guns are illegal here. Police shout: "Stop or we'll shout stop again!".... and the criminal scum freeze in their tracks in terror. :rolleyes:
    edited September 2011
    ArtMonster wrote:
    if you have really strong legs.... holding a closet door as a shield and running through the mass can be effective..... but there is no room for error.... or slippery shoes.

Depends on crowd density. There are some crowds that even with a big enough head start/forward momentum/weight (IE: ramming a car into it full bore) isn't going to get you very far and eventually you will be bogged down. And have the further problem that you're now surrounded on all sides. On top of that, you're exposed on the sides and back for the duration of the rush, and unlike people, most zombies a) lack self-preservation and thus a desire to get out of the way and b) laser-focus and thus tend to react slightly faster (counter-intuitive) to the situation by simply not caring and just turning toward the food source.

Can work, certainly, but it's not a long-term plan you'd seriously wanna rely on.

(P.S.: Sorry, sorry. I'll stop. I've played a LOT of All Flesh Must Be Eaten in my day.)
    edited September 2011
    no need to apologize.

zombies are my cultural lore of choice :)

edited September 2011
    No need to apologise for Zombie especially over BloodMoon™.

Best thing about Zombies is they nearly always leave a tip...... of some sort or another.
    edited September 2011
    skytomcar wrote:
    first reloading shot gun ammo is EASY. making Gun powder is EASY. And I own a black powder Howdah to just for extra end of the world short on supplies going low tech style readiness.

I don't recall saying anything about reloading a firearm to be difficult - it's likely a misunderstanding, as I was more pointing out that firearms in general have higher reloadability factors (from experience) then a crossbow would. Also, gunpowder can be easy to make, but unless you're dropping back exclusively to archaic forms of firearms (in which case you start eating reload issues to the face again), BULLETS in the conventional sense require a bit more finesse and raw materials that you may not have ready availability to.

You can make an 'acceptable' quality crossbow bolt out of a far wider variety of materials that are also, conveniently, far more widely available. :D

Also, the good quality ones are reusable (provided you can retrieve the bolt).

There's always going to be trade-offs in any form of zombie defense you pick up (and that's the key thing to remember here), so putting all your eggs in one basket is a bad plan in general (you should be putting them in a few baskets). :3
    edited September 2011
    Also, the good quality ones are reusable (provided you can retrieve the bolt).

Mumsie's Tip of the Day™: Plenty of elastic cord (similar to children's mitten elastic) tied to the end of crossbow bolts make a handy and efficient automatic retrieval process.
    edited September 2011
    Guys, if anyone ever read the Zombie Survival Guide (like I did, beign the good boy scout I am), then you'd know that while guns are nice and extremely effective, blades don't need reloading. Of course, they DO need sharpening and regular maintenance, and require you to get close, but that's when you tape a sword to a stick and have one of them "sword-stick" thingers. You know... a sticksword!

Seriously though, if zombies attacked, it'd probably be like the end of Shawn of the Dead or Dead Rising 2 - you'd have people who would be bleeding hearts about "their plight and the poor, poor starving maneaters that you can save for just a dollar a day." Hell, with our world, they'll probably make it illegal to hurt the living dead or some crap.
    edited September 2011
    Mumsie's Tip of the Day™: Plenty of elastic cord (similar to children's mitten elastic) tied to the end of crossbow bolts make a handy and efficient automatic retrieval process.

That limits your range and alters trajectory, though! Also has the potential for an Unintended Slapstick Accident wherein the bolt snaps back towards your general direction with force. >_>
    edited September 2011
    That limits your range and alters trajectory, though! Also has the potential for an Unintended Slapstick Accident wherein the bolt snaps back towards your general direction with force. >_>

Unintended nothing.

CLOWN MUSIC GO!
    edited September 2011
    Calsetes wrote:
    Hell, with our world, they'll probably make it illegal to hurt the living dead or some crap.

I think that is the most realistic portrayal of the living dead in a modern setting.
    edited September 2011
    In defense of wolverine, he started developing real depth sometime after Weapon Alpha's introduction (later Vindicator of Alpha Strike, UXM 109) and developed nicely as a character until Chris Claremont stopped writing, or thereabouts. It was all down hill from there. AFAICT, Claremont is the only writer who actually understood what made Wolverine work as a character.

(This is not an uncritical endorsement of Claremont's writing in general, i realize his prose can be rather purple, but his characters *worked*).

Regarding his virtual invulnerability, well, there's a reason Wolverine's loved ones keep dying on him - you hurt him through others. Admittedly, before his healing factor went crazy-nutso he was more interesting...

Essential Wolverine reading: UXM ~120 (meets Mariko Yashida), UXM 172-174, Wolverine Vol 1 1-4 (miniseries), UXM 205, UXM 251-254ish (formation/developement jubilee-logan relationship - logan has always worked best as a mentor). Yes, i use the name Logan. I don't particularly care to follow whatever crazy Marvel is up to in the last decade++
    edited September 2011
    skytomcar wrote:
    And then [Wolvie's healing power] was actually kick started by getting deadpools blood in him during a fight.
    Sounds like the origin of Dinosaur Soldier (in Axe Cop) to me - Flute Cop and Axe Cop were fighting a dinosaur, and Flute Cop got some dinosaur blood on him, turning him into Dinosaur Soldier. (Later, Dinosaur Soldier got some avocado on him and became Avocado Soldier, but was later restored by using a uni-man's horn to wish.)

(In case you're never read Axe Cop, the story is done by a five-year-old, now a six-year-old, and the art is done by his now-30-year-old brother.)
    edited September 2011
    Calsetes wrote:
    Guys, if anyone ever read the Zombie Survival Guide (like I did, beign the good boy scout I am), then you'd know that while guns are nice and extremely effective, blades don't need reloading. Of course, they DO need sharpening and regular maintenance, and require you to get close, but that's when you tape a sword to a stick and have one of them "sword-stick" thingers. You know... a sticksword!

Seriously though, if zombies attacked, it'd probably be like the end of Shawn of the Dead or Dead Rising 2 - you'd have people who would be bleeding hearts about "their plight and the poor, poor starving maneaters that you can save for just a dollar a day." Hell, with our world, they'll probably make it illegal to hurt the living dead or some crap.

Sledgehammers and lengths of pipe don't need sharpening. :D Difficulties include weight, the amount of space required to swing with lethal force, and some durability issues depending on choice of materials (carbon-fiber handle and a steel head goes a bit farther than the traditional methods, but is also a bit harder to replace).

AFMBE also makes fun of that, with the Zombie Rights Activist pre-generated archetype and even a few scenarios covering having to deal with those kinds of loonies ("Zombies are people, too, man!").

Seriously, though. The Zombie Survival Guide goes in-depth to all of these issues, and points out that Redundancy and Versatility > Focus, as long as you're absolutely sure you can carry or transport all your crap with alacrity to avoid the undead (though it makes very specific assumptions about the type of zombie that they expect you to run into, and go so far as to tell you this out of the gate and make mention of this every now and then in specific sections).

At the bare minimum, you want at least one hand weapon of some variety (preferably two - one for standard encounters and one for closer, tighter confines), a medium-range firearm (or two - better if the ammunition is interchangeable between the two, to save how much you have to carry around), and one 'stealth' long-range weapon (bow, crossbow, etc.) at all times. Bare minimum. The more you can get away with, and still be able to carry food/medical supplies and ammunition, the better.
    edited September 2011
    At the bare minimum, you want at least one hand weapon of some variety (preferably two - one for standard encounters and one for closer, tighter confines), a medium-range firearm (or two - better if the ammunition is interchangeable between the two, to save how much you have to carry around), and one 'stealth' long-range weapon (bow, crossbow, etc.) at all times. Bare minimum. The more you can get away with, and still be able to carry food/medical supplies and ammunition, the better.

That sounds like a lot of prep work - can't I just lay with a woman who wasn't clean and get that Burning Love Love Finger thingy from that one Gundam show? Sounds much easier, and only requires a salve to be carried after the zombies recede...

Seriously though, forgot about blunt weapons. Probably also a good choice, but they increase the risk of spatter hitting you, which could also be a huge risk depending on how the zombification is passed along. Blades still have drawbacks also - a removed head is still a threat because it can bite you, so it's best to somehow take the top off at the jawline. Then, the worst he can do is eyeball you or shoot snot out of his nose at you.

Wait, wasn't this whole thing about how Smacks got muted and Wolverine sucking? How the hell did we end up here?
    edited September 2011
    All I need to fight of a zombeh hoard is a Combat knife and one green herb . The trick is to stab em in the knees then run like the wind >:C
    edited September 2011
    Melee weapons are, generally, more of the 'last ditch' type. You really just want them there in the event you need to remove an obstacle FAST - the best possible weapons in this instance are going to be things like fireman's axes, crowbars, and sledgehammers for that very reason. If you're in a position where you have to get into a dedicated melee fight with a zombie, you have most emphatically done things wrong. However, carrying things that can easily double as a weapon in some manner of effectiveness just for such occasions is a good policy.

Also, the above stuff takes maybe ~6 hours of shopping* and 3 hours/week to weapons training that also gets you some exercise! Everybody wins. Except the zombies, but nobody cares about them winning anyway. (This message brought to you by the Society for Human Survival)

As to the topic change... Nobody expects the Derail Inquisition!

*Plus or minus time to file and get the paperwork saying you're allowed to own and operate a firearm and any 'sport' hunting weaponary you pick up.
    edited September 2011
    Nepht wrote:
    All I need to fight of a zombeh hoard is a Combat knife and one green herb . The trick is to stab em in the knees then run like the wind >:C

Or if it's like Dead Island, kick them in the face, then pop the top like a bottle of soda. Or just drive your car really, really fast.

Seriously, that game is so fun.
    edited September 2011
    As to the topic change... Nobody expects the Derail Inquisition!

In a token effort to re-rail:
    Smackwell wrote:
    This system is so broken. I wonder if this reporting tool griefs more than it cuts out spammers. *snip*

Yes I agree, an effort should be made to temper this system and how it sees zone-chat.
    /signed.
    edited September 2011
    Indubitably. o.q Abuse of this system is out of hand and needs to be rectified post-haste to eliminate vile miscreants from perpetuating their selfish oppression of those that would dare speak out against them!
    edited September 2011
    10 Chars...
    edited September 2011
    LOL, always wondered how that worked.

Here they yell "Stop, and we'll shoot!!!"....

Goes further too. On those rare occasions the cops DO carry guns in the old country, people get VERY antsy about it. I know I did. That recent spate of riots was triggered over a police shooting, in fact.

I'm still finding it hard to adjust to seeing cops happily carry sidearms. Guess I've not gone native yet :D
    edited September 2011
    LOL, always wondered how that worked.

Here they yell "Stop, and we'll shoot!!!"....

I thought it was: "Stop, or we'll - *BANG BANG BANG* - shoot!"
    edited September 2011
    speedknob wrote:
    I thought it was: "Stop, or we'll - *BANG BANG BANG* - shoot!"

Close. More like
    *BANG BANG* STOP! *BANG* OR WE'LL *BANG BANG* SHOOT!! *BANG* :D

1 plus 2 plus 2 plus 1...or was it 1 plus 2 plus 1 plus 1?
    edited September 2011
    Eleric wrote:
    Close. More like
    *BANG BANG* STOP! *BANG* OR WE'LL *BANG BANG* SHOOT!! *BANG* :D

1 plus 2 plus 2 plus 1...or was it 1 plus 2 plus 1 plus 1?

Diplomacy and negotiation are always most effective after several minutes of sustained automatic weapons fire.
    edited September 2011
    Galeforce wrote:
    Diplomacy and negotiation are always most effective after several minutes of sustained automatic weapons fire.
    You should email that to Howard Tayler, creator of Schlock Mercenary. It would make a good addition to the Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries.
    edited September 2011
    Beldin2 wrote:
    When did that all started ? When i read comics it was in the late 70s to early 80s .. and there nobody ever even
    died in any Marvel Comic .. at least i can't remember.

Wonder Man. It's all Wonder Man's fault.

Nobody knows why they did it. The day Wonder Man died was the greatest day in history.

The day Wonder Man came back (the third time) was the prologue to the saddest era in comics. Nobody knows why they did it.

:(
    Galeforce wrote:

Darn tootin. "Exessive Force" is relative; people complained when one dude got shot 40 something times and ended up hospitalized, saying that was way more than enough. If you're trying to kill something, and it walks away, you have not used enough. Whatever the emotions and belief structure and morality and whatever behind the story and all that aside, the number of bullets is secondary to the desired outcome, and the desired outcome, per the training is, "you do not aim your gun at something unless you intend to destroy it." There's no such thing as "only kill him a little."

But! if a state can enforce the law without the use of firearms all the better.
    edited September 2011
    I have reached the conclusion from the 'facts' in this thread.

that police are indeed....wolverine zombies.

edited September 2011
    I heard it on the internets, it must be true!
    edited September 2011
    Pion wrote:
    But! if a state can enforce the law without the use of firearms all the better.

Oh I completely agree. Yes, you get absolutely no argument out of me there. Firearms are a barbaric and outmoded form of law enforcement.

Orbital bombardment is SO much more effective.
    edited September 2011
    Galeforce wrote:
    Oh I completely agree. Yes, you get absolutely no argument out of me there. Firearms are a barbaric and outmoded form of law enforcement.

Orbital bombardment is SO much more effective.

Effective but messy.
    edited September 2011
    stjobe wrote:
    Maybe we should have some penalty for misuse of the Report Spam button?
    Like, if after review it turns out the person you reported didn't spam, YOU get hit with a 24-hour silence.

That'd be fun. Or at least zone chat would be a lot quieter :)

Anyway, seems like someone needs to have a look at the auto-silence code.

24 seems to light for misusing the report function and probably greifing some one in the process I would make it several days maybe a week.
    edited September 2011
    You know, maybe if whenever you push it, a dialog box comes up that says "This tool is intended solely to report Gold Spammers. If you use this tool to report players not spamming gold selling, you will be punished." it might not be used so frivolously.
    edited September 2011
    Smackwell wrote:
    You know, maybe if whenever you push it, a dialog box comes up that says "This tool is intended solely to report Gold Spammers. If you use this tool to report players not spamming gold selling, you will be punished." it might not be used so frivolously.

Ideally a dialog box would work as intended and be an effective deterrent. However if the players that are abusing the report spam feature are more or less the same ones that ignore/don't read the rules to begin with then the dialog box won't be anything but another button to press to get that doggone Wolverine hater in zone chat to shut up.

Of course it will come back to bite them eventually but they'll still have wrongfully silenced a few players in the meantime.
    edited September 2011
    Smackwell wrote:

If it says "Gold Spammers", people will be all "Well he is a GOLD player and he IS spamming".
    edited September 2011
    Smackwell wrote:

People don't read "don't make copyright characters" and "that name is restricted", I don't think they'd read that either
    edited September 2011
    Sekimen wrote:
    If it says "Gold Spammers", people will be all "Well he is a GOLD player and he IS spamming".

Rofl .. and next somebody would complain why we don't have a tool to report Silver-Spammers :D
    edited September 2011
    Yup definitely agree - I think that all is needed is the ignore filter.Any `report` function seems totally stupid to me.

I mean lets be honest Internet+Zone chat+mmo+eejits with nothing better to do=bad idea

I cant understand how the developers didn`t see that giving people the chance to report each other wouldn`t get abused every which way possible.

I got mass ignored on Canada Crisis just for telling some twit to naff off and stop following me and killing all my mobs.

Apparently an opinon is a dangerous thing on CO...

And people wonder why I keep my head down in-game, almost never engage in zone chat (as in maybe two sentences in the last year on zone chat), and why I tend to solo most of the time... Because I have opinions, and that makes me a bad person!
    edited September 2011
    10 Chars...
    edited September 2011
    Because I have opinions, and that makes me a bad person!

Well, duh. It's the internet - everyone's opinions are facts, except for the people who know their opinions are opinions and not facts, which only furthers that their opinion is a fact. It's basic mathemagic!
    edited September 2011
    Ideally a dialog box would work as intended and be an effective deterrent. However if the players that are abusing the report spam feature are more or less the same ones that ignore/don't read the rules to begin with then the dialog box won't be anything but another button to press to get that doggone Wolverine hater in zone chat to shut up.

Of course it will come back to bite them eventually but they'll still have wrongfully silenced a few players in the meantime.

True, the griefers would likely keep doing it, but yeah, if the GMs ever got around to it, they'd get punished. A good punishment would be removing their capability to use that tool ever again.

But at least it would cut down on the frivolous use.
    Sekimen wrote:

Ha, you're probably completely right. Different wording would be in order. :)
    Issmir wrote:
    People don't read "don't make copyright characters" and "that name is restricted", I don't think they'd read that either

That's why I had a similar suggestion for the character creator. When you hit NEW, a big-**** warning comes up telling you not to make copyrighted characters or you'll be punished.
    Calsetes wrote:
    Well, duh. It's the internet - everyone's opinions are facts, except for the people who know their opinions are opinions and not facts, which only furthers that their opinion is a fact. It's basic mathemagic!

But... my opinion is fact. Wolverine sucks! :D
    edited September 2011
    Hey sorry that this has happened to you. Something does need to be done considering all of the report spam griefing being placed upon the CO community..
    edited September 2011
    What they really need instead of just a "report spam" button is a "Report indecent conduct" button so we can get rid of people such as one idiot that was spewing a bunch of anti-gay bigoted bull$#!+ in zone chat today, people with attitudes like that don't belong in our game, and we need a way to get rid of them. If report spam isn't the proper way, then give us a way to do it, the GM's aren't on 24/7.
    edited September 2011
    Hey Smackwell, this one's for you! I scanned it in from a page in the only stack of comics I have. It sums it up pretty well, I totally agree with it, and I'm sure you will too.

Attachment not found.

I had to crop a lot of the page to fit it inside the requirements for attaching images on the forums here.

After screaming that the girl says "and he smells like beers! I want to go with the tall shiny metal guy! Or the cat monkey guy!" while Colossus leans on Beast in the background, the two of them smiling at the situation. Then Emma Frost and Scott Summers are in the psychic ball room place (I forget it's name, I'm not an XMen fan) and Scott asks "What's he doing now?" Emma says "He's... he's actually visualizing disembowling you. It's quite disturbing. And she's asking for ice cream."

It's from the Runaways comic. I bought the whole series for research material for a project.