test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tank - Unarmed MA/Darkness Build?

unkomanplusunkomanplus Posts: 19 Arc User
I played this game wayyyy back in the day, and now I don't know much about it. Lifetime sub from the first few months.
The game is MEGA different now.

The only character I had got to 40 before coming back for this past holiday event was a Dex based, kick based MA fighter with some Darkness/Supernatural. I had him in the tank role, so I could use Regen. I recently tried to figure out the system and respec him into an MA DPS, but his survivability was terrible, and I didn't really know what I was doing.

Now I've learned a bit more and would like to put him back in a tank role, if possible. Doesn't have to be optimal but something utilizing fear effects and chi kicks. Maybe some kind of life drain? I like some "shadowy" stuff for flavour, like the lunge and block, but if it doesn't really work then it doesn't really work.
(I also have NO idea what gear to go after or really where to get it anymore, ha ha ha. Got to buy it from SOME vendor? Which one, and where? Or pick it up from certain missions?)

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    I'd try to help you, but I seem to be shadowbanned.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited January 15
    Well, you could go w/ an older setup of using Spirit Reverb paired w/ Void Shift's Fear adv, if you wanted to incorporate more Darkness attacks (instead of just having them for utility), or just devote it more to MA using one of its EUs instead. Here's an example build using the former, but let me know if you want more of an MA-focused build instead:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Tank)
    v3.45:38

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Master (Str: 8, Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 18: Martial Focus (Str: 5, Dex: 5)
    Level 21: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Shadow Bolt
    Level 1: Shadow Embrace (Rank 2, Draining Shadows, Challenge!)
    Level 6: Spirit Reverberation
    Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Form of the Tempest
    Level 14: Dragon Kick (Spectral Dragon Tail, Dragon Rush, Challenge!)
    Level 17: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares, Challenge!)
    Level 20: Thundering Kicks (Rank 2, Demolishing Strikes)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Imbue
    Level 35:
    Level 38: Devastating Strike (Commanding Presence)
    Adv. Points: 32/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (2/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

The last 3 powers can be w/e ya want (and you can drop the Ult if you don't have it unlocked)

For AoE, it can use SEmbrace as its main attack (which will also help heal you), and use charged DK and/or TKicks when up-close (and Void Shift for the lunge and Fear apply). For single-targets, use Void Shift to apply/refresh Fear, TKicks to apply/refresh Demolish, and otherwise use charged DK as filler. Resurgence and ERush can also help heal you (Resurgence as a big & instant heal, and ERush as a smaller maintenance heal).

If playing solo or doing easier content, then R3 Regen could also work well as the defensive passive, and you could also consider Con PSS w/ Resilient, FMF, Adren Rush, and Armored (CON/Dex/Rec setup, still Con-focused). I also went w/ Wardicator for the specs for the crit bonuses w/ FotTempest, but they could be a number of things using a combo of Protector, Warden, Sentry, Vindicator, and/or Guardian (and Protector Mastery is also a good option). Regardless, it gears mostly for Con, w/ some Dex and Rec (and prob some cost discount on gear).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    unkomanplusunkomanplus Posts: 19 Arc User
    Thank you so much! I decided to go for the Protector, and am still toying with it, but I was able to survive way better and do some so-so tanking when I started to get the hang of it.
    I think when I gear up to get my HP more in the 14-17k range it'll be pretty sweet.

I did end up taking Rebirth right at the end. What do people think of that one?
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    Alright. Well, as a Tank self-rezes aren't as good cause you lose all aggro on death, and you can't easily 'taunt' it back. It's still okay for easier content where the stakes are lower, though you're less likely to die there in the first place (and in some cases you can just Recover and run back). It's also worth noting that, unlike other self-rezes, Rebirth also deals your full health in dmg over time, though if you have Support helping you then that can be negated in a group setting.

Also, if you don't have Devastating Strike available, then it can be helpful to replace it w/ a different Ult that has a 1-pt threat adv, since that threat stacks w/ Challenge and can be nice for securing aggro (if threat is an issue).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!