What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Release Notes 12/20/2023

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,094 Cryptic Developer
edited December 2023 in Release Notes
Winter Event
Starting 12/21:
  • Black harlequin can be found causing trouble in Millennium City.
  • The Griffon Collar costume will be available in the event store.
  • Snowflake Weapon Auras will be available in the event store.
  • New Mission: Complete Making Naughty Nice mission 10 times, rewards the Star Jacket costume.

Starting 12/28:
  • The Griffon Head costume will be available in the event store.

Finkle Foundry
  • Added Icefall power variant device as a possible drop.

Lockbox
Starting 12/21 the Electro Swing lockbox will be available!

New to this lockbox:
  • Electro Swing Costume Set
  • The Longshadows Loyal Sidekick
  • Ultimate Sonic Boom Generator Power Variant Device
  • PDA Emote
  • Drink Cheer Emote

• Electro Swing Costume Box
  • Electro Swing Hair 1
  • Electro Swing Hair 2
  • Electro Swing Hat
  • Electro Swing Tiara
  • Electro Swing Collar
  • Electro Swing Scarf
  • Electro Swing Neckla
  • Electro Swing Jacket
  • Electro Swing Vest
  • Electro Swing Shirt
  • Electro Swing Bracer
  • Electro Swing Gloves
  • Electro Swing Emblem
  • Electro Swing Belt 1
  • Electro Swing Belt 2
  • Electro Swing Pants
  • Electro Swing Drape
  • Electro Swing Dress
  • Electro Swing Feet 1
  • Electro Swing Feet 2
  • Electro Swing Cane
  • Electro Swing Pistol

Sonic Aura Box
  • Sonic Full Aura
  • Sonic Full Aura (Black)
  • Sonic Full Aura (White)
  • Sonic Full Aura (Rainbow)
  • Sonic Head Aura
  • Sonic Head Aura (Black)
  • Sonic Head Aura (White)
  • Sonic Head Aura (Rainbow)
  • Sonic Chest Aura
  • Sonic Chest Aura (Black)
  • Sonic Chest Aura (White)
  • Sonic Chest Aura (Rainbow)
  • Sonic Hands Aura
  • Sonic Hands Aura (Black)
  • Sonic Hands Aura (White)
  • Sonic Hands Aura (Rainbow)
  • Sonic Feet Aura
  • Sonic Feet Aura (Black)
  • Sonic Feet Aura (White)
  • Sonic Feet Aura (Rainbow)

Glimmer Weapon Aura Box
  • Melee Weapon Aura: Glimmer (Dual)
  • Melee Weapon Aura: Glimmer (Dual) (Black)
  • Melee Weapon Aura: Glimmer (Dual) (White)
  • Melee Weapon Aura: Glimmer (Dual) (Rainbow)
  • Melee Weapon Aura: Glimmer (Single)
  • Melee Weapon Aura: Glimmer (Single) (Black)
  • Melee Weapon Aura: Glimmer (Single) (White)
  • Melee Weapon Aura: Glimmer (Single) (Rainbow)
  • Melee Weapon Aura: Glimmer (Right)
  • Melee Weapon Aura: Glimmer (Right) (Black)
  • Melee Weapon Aura: Glimmer (Right) (White)
  • Melee Weapon Aura: Glimmer (Right) (Rainbow)
  • Melee Weapon Aura: Glimmer (Left)
  • Melee Weapon Aura: Glimmer (Left) (Black)
  • Melee Weapon Aura: Glimmer (Left) (White)
  • Melee Weapon Aura: Glimmer (Left) (Rainbow)

ZEN Store
Starting 12/21:
  • A 20% bonus ZEN sale will be active for 2 weeks starting at 10am.
  • For the next 2 weeks the Magnificent keypack will be running.
  • For the next 2 weeks the Cryogenic keypack will be running.

Winter Keypack
  • Cost: 1800 ZEN
  • 20x Cosmic Keys of POWERS
  • 1x Peacock Tail Costume
  • 25x Kigatilik's Wrath mods
  • 3x Triumphant Recovery
  • 5x Safeguard Catalysts
  • 10x Healing Device Plus
  • 10x Energy Surge Plus

Trade Paperback Store
  • Added Bulwark Armor.

Alert Bonus
  • Starting 12/21, this event will be active for 1 week.

Story Bonus
  • Starting 12/28, this event will be active for 1 week.

Costumes
  • Fixed an issue with the male jacket chest option causing certain jackets to display improperly.

Powers
Sonic Boom Generator
New Adv (2): Chance too apply Stun to targets. Chance increases if they are Disoriented.

New Power: Sonic Beam
  • Tier 3 Gadgeteering
  • Deals Sonic damage.
  • Chance to Disorient target.
  • Adv (2): Reduces cooldowns of your Gadgeteering powers by a small amount every hit.
  • Adv (2): Increases damage if the target is affected by Deafening.

Devices
Ultimate Sonic Boom Generator
  • Scales off of Sonic Boom Generator.
  • Deals sonic damage in an area effect.
  • Stuns targets.
  • Applies Deafening.
  • Creates a Sonic Distortion field, increasing all Sonic and Gadgeteering power damage against foes standing in the field for a short time. This effect applies differently from a regular resistance debuff, and does not diminish in effectiveness if other debuffs are active.

Icefall
  • Scales off of Fault Line.
  • Deals cold damage to targets in front of you.
  • Chance to chill targets.
  • Chance to apply Hard Frost to primary target. Chance increases if affected by Cold Snap.
​​

Comments

• Options
    maldanaanmaldanaan Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited December 2023
    What time will the Making Naughty Nice mission become available to pick up? 11AM EST tomorrow? Or midnight PST tonight? Or some other time?
  • Options
    vonqballvonqball Posts: 926 Arc User
    I was wondering what the new ultimate PVD was supposed to interact with.. sonic beam looks to be the answer. Nice to see a new power.
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    Any FREE Respecs in the wind for these changes? Doubtful that any ice characters are using Fault Line already.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited December 2023

Tier 3 Gadgeteering
    Deals Sonic damage.
    Chance to Disorient target.
    Adv (2): Reduces cooldowns of your Gadgeteering powers by a small amount every hit.
    Adv (2): Increases damage if the target is affected by Deafening.
    YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    After 10 years, my Sonic DPS can finally have a decent single target Sonic dps power! Literally, I made him on 3 August 2013!

and It's single pistol gadget device too! Finally! The NPC exclusive power is ours :grin:
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    shapey#5696 shapey Posts: 57 Arc User

Tier 3 Gadgeteering
    Deals Sonic damage.
    Adv (2): Reduces cooldowns of your Gadgeteering powers by a small amount every hit.

Very glad to see a new power, finally. It was starting to feel like it'd be nothing but PVDs until the next power revamp which is... god knows when. Moreover I think a lot of people are glad to see a power like this, something for Sonic damage to actually do. I did test it a little bit, and it's perfectly fine (so far), but might I suggest buffing it just a tad? It's not underpowered but it isn't very competitive with other ranged maintain powers' damage, coupled with the fact that Sonic damage only has 1 debuff.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Lockbox
    Starting 12/21 the Electro Swing lockbox will be available!
    Excellent Musical genre of choice and great sidekicks Aesthetic!
    https://youtu.be/V_5qcSZBvYA?si=qmLrG8Io30ucg4RM
    https://youtu.be/DZlfIlhjD4E?si=jRkzAU2t-IAeryFR

Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie that Swing, Gimmie that Swing, Gimmie that Swing

I need to praise the decision to finally design Duo sidekicks like Harajuko Twins

Really digging the Longshadows' vibes
    Icefall

Scales off of Fault Line.
    Deals cold damage to targets in front of you.
    Chance to chill targets.
    Chance to apply Hard Frost to primary target. Chance increases if affected by Cold Snap.

I love it!
    It's EXACTLY the Ice attack I have been waiting for years to exist in CO

Shame it became possible as a PVD but... oh well
    Sidenote to viewers: Sidekick's attacks on the Icefall exhibition GIF below are outdated, they were placeholders on PTS

YEZp3je.gif
    Just posting the GIF here as well for everyone who wants to see the PVD's aesthetics!
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited December 2023
    This new Electro Swing costume set is pretty nice from what I saw on the PTS. The chest pieces actually stretch very well with body sliders without tearing. Looking forward to unlocking it all.

I feel like this Icefall exists just to justify the Earth set's existence.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,434 Arc User
    Good to have a new power that isn't a PVD. Guess the devs are enamoured of sonic now? Was hoping that Earth would get some love.

Don't forget to turn on Fusion Week. Always happens Christmas week.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    No Holiday Henchmen drops from the stockings this year? I think I just heard the value of stockings hit rock bottom. ROFL!
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,392 Arc User
    Are we getting that key pack later?
  • Options
    ghost#7389 ghost Posts: 29 Arc User
    yep, no keypack and no Zen sale...yet
    Characters: Cybrax - DJ of SinAmatic Entertainment Radio - http://my.powerstream.live:8800/
  • Options
    ghost#7389 wrote: »
    yep, no keypack and no Zen sale...yet

Saves us money!​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • Options
    circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,919 Arc User
    edited December 2023
    avianos wrote: »

Tier 3 Gadgeteering
    Deals Sonic damage.
    YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    After 10 years, my Sonic DPS can finally have a decent single target Sonic dps power! Literally, I made him on 3 August 2013!

and It's single pistol gadget device too! Finally! The NPC exclusive power is ours :grin:

Hope that means gadgeteer set is getting it's power revamp/new stuff soon, not just a single power.
    Psi.
  • Options
    ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 664 Arc User
    Could Sonic Boom Generator also get a little sphere range buff? As a Range AoE it is rather pathetic. The Sphere is basically melee range, which makes sense around you like Eye of the Storm, it is also 10 foot. But as range, It's still so pathetic, if I go for the new power I use Hyper Voice for now instead, wish I could use the Sonic Boom but so sad state still. Even as Tier 1 AoE it's so weak compared to other AoE's of the same Tier.

Also, shouldn't Deafening sort of be passive already? We got like 3–4 powers in total using Sonic Damage. Unlike other damage type which is far wider spread. At least make the Adv only 1 point too? Or add it on things like the stun grenade? Also, Sonic Device could need it maybe too?

While I am happy, we FINALLY got a new Gadgeteer power using the blaster/pistol, it is still a little disappointing to see it being released so half-baked. Hope to see more synergy and variety for more freedom.

Also, just trowing ideas around too, maybe a slow advantage like repel to the Sonic Beam, or a Burn Trough like the Eye Laser so it can be used like TGM and Assault Rifle as mini AoE?

Happy Holidays tho, thank you for this nice Update.
  • Options
    thisiscraftaaathisiscraftaaa Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited December 2023
    Now that I've actually done a little Powerhouse testing with it, I'd like to talk about the new power, Sonic Beam.

In short? It... really needs a buff.

Fundamentally, I understand the concept: it's almost 1:1 to Assault Rifle, but does slightly lower base damage in exchange for a minutely smaller energy cost on initial tick, and being able to move around at full speed. In a vacuum, there really isn't anything wrong with that. But the problem is when you start accounting for outside variables and interactions, of which I'll raise multiple, in quotes to package them together easier.

And yes, I'm aware that this is literally a 1:1 to Rapid Shots but with 30% base damage on Deafening as an adv instead of 40% base damage on self-root as an adv. But, honestly, Rapid Shots... kind-of works as it is? I feel like Rapid Shots' self-root should give a 50% base damage increase instead, or else have a "base damage ramps up over consecutive full maintains" adv like 2GM has, but otherwise it's... passable if entirely redundant. (Sonic Beam is slightly worse than Rapid Shots, and Rapid Shots is slightly worse than Assault Rifle, and Assault Rifle is already kind-of a "bare minimum" type deal for a lot of late-game content.)

Now, onto my three points.
    One! compared directly to Assault Rifle, Sonic Beam actually lacks flexibility. You'd imagine that an impossibly minutely lower energy cost and full mobility would make it more flexible than Assault Rifle in exchange for slightly less damage, and in a vacuum, that's absolutely correct. But once you factor in how to use them both correctly, that gets flipped on its head. See the following...

Currently, our sources of Deafening application are... passable at best and pitiful at worst. Reasonably, there are exactly three options to use: Sonic Boom Generator, Hyper Voice and Sonic Arrow. The first is a 1.67sec+0.83sec charge+activate charged power, the second is a 3-second (0.67s activation time) maintain power, and the third is a 1.83sec+0.67sec charge+activate charged power. All three of these only provide Deafening through an Advantage that costs 2 points, and when taken, the former two can only apply Deafening on full charge/full maintain, while the latter is the only power capable of applying on a partial charge or tap. These are our only ways to get Deafening.

Inversely, Assault Rifle benefits from exactly three different things instead of just one thing applied by one of three things:
    - Furious (which Assault Rifle's 30% base damage adv scales with 1-to-3 stacks of in increments of 10%, and which provides a 300-point trickle-heal when damaged while any stacks are present; this is sourced from Munitions powers.)
    - Armor Piercing (which debuffs Piercing+Crushing defenses versus Deafening's Sonic and only counts on a player-by-player basis, and is sourced from Munitions and Archery powers.)
    - Frail Armor (IIRC this was introduced with the archery rework; this is a pure Piercing defense debuff that is shared amongst all players on a target, and sourced from Munitions and Archery powers.)
    All of these have methods of application AND refreshing at both 50' and 100', though their mobility and how long it takes them to apply or refresh varies. Of note, however, is that two of three (Furious and Armor Piercing) have a method of completely free application (Furious and Armor Piercing) that take no advantage points, while Armor Piercing's specifically works on taps. If allowing for Advantages then all three have application and refreshing methods that work on taps.

The optimal application method is, in terms of utility: either R3 Bullet Hail or R3 Submachinegun Burst; your dedicated muni AoE attack providing initial stacks at a variable rate that can be refreshed entirely in-set, or in terms of speed, in-set: Rocket Launcher with the Red Hot Fury advantage taking exactly 3 seconds between charge and activation for initial application of all 3 stacks of Furious | out-of-set: Howl from Bestial at R3 applying 3 stacks of Furious in 0.83 seconds. Then utilize Burst Shot with Taking Names (plus any other rank/adv of your choice) for a 1-power 2-point 0.5-second-tap application+refresh of Armor Piercing and 0.5-second-tap refresh of your 3 stacks of Furious. Shotgun Blast with Armor Piercing and Breaching Round is a 1-power 4-point 0.67-second-tap is an alternative that does minutely less damage for its activation time in exchange for a larger AoE. Both of these are restricted to 50' range but do not self-root, allowing an Assault Rifle user to weave in and out of range to apply/refresh and retreat. Lastly, for Frail Armor application, ideally use Holdout Shot with Frail Armor (50' range, 1sec tap, self-roots while using) or optionally (especially if going out-of-set) Desperation Shot from Archery, which does comparable damage for its activation time, has 100' range, 1.67sec activation time and self-roots while using.

Having said all of that, there are other ways to cut corners too, like using Frag Grenade for Armor Piercing if not using Furious (relevant for 2GM users who don't need it and get their own for free just for existing or for Blade Barrage users who might potentially prefer the reliability of the DoT over the extra crit chance, though that's more of an issue for parsers to enjoy arguing back and forth over and for casuals to enjoy one way or the other their own preferred way.

Now, having said all of that, if you're using Assault Rifle at its intended R2+Furious instead of R3ing it to use a PVD instead, let's compare the absolute ideals, and remember, Assault Rifle does slightly higher base damage than Sonic Beam, and both their Advs (Deafening/Furious) provide the same 30% base damage increase, so will be neglected here:
    Sonic Beam buffing requires, in the hypothetical most ideal situation: 0.67sec every time, and gives: 18% Sonic defpen.
    Assault Rifle buffing requires, in the hypothetical most ideal situation: 2.33sec the first time setup, 1.5 sec every time after, and gives: 33% Piercing defpen, 15% Crushing defpen, 4.5% flat Critical Chance increase (ignores all DR,) and +300 points of healing every 3 seconds while taking damage.
    If only using the holy meta of Assault Rifle minimum effort, then buffing requires, in the hypothetical most ideal situation: 1.33sec the first time setup, 0.5sec every time after, and gives: 15% Piercing defpen, 15% Crushing defpen, 4.5% flat Critical Chance increase (ignores all DR,) and +300 points of healing every 3 seconds while taking damage.

While it might seem like a disadvantage that Assault Rifle takes more setup time, there's more to note:
    You can get slightly longer initial application time but the same refresh time by just using your dedicated AoE power (R3 Submachinegun Burst or R3 Bullet Hail) to effectively save a power slot and two to four advantage points. (If you're using Flamethrower as a dedicated AoE, or Shotgun Blast, you might have problems here, but if you're using Flamethrower you're likely running a whole different build in the first place.) Certain powers (I'm looking at you, Howl from Bestial) allow you to apply stacks of Furious to other players, so hypothetically if you were playing with someone using this power (and there's a few different situations TO use it for for other people) you wouldn't have to worry about initial application whatsoever, though since you can't guarantee someone having this power, building assuming someone else will give you Furious stacks is ill-advised. And if utilizing the minimum setup method (ignoring Frail Armor) then it's not a question of setup time any more because your multiple different options of refreshing your 4.5% crit chance and trickle-healing AND applying your 15% defpen in two thirds of a second or less tend to blow that same amount of time for just 18% defpen out of the water. And your only other options for that 18% Sonic defpen take 2.5 seconds to 3 seconds to apply every single time. And, additionally, while the advent of Sonic Beam will see gadgeteer-hopefuls running it for the first time, way more people will be applying Frail Armor than they will Deafening, because, between 2GM, Assault Rifle, Blade Barrage, Rapid Shots and more, there's a bunch of potential different builds between Munitions, Archery and even a little bit of Gadgeteering that will want Piercing defpen, but- since genuinely nobody uses Havoc Hammer- the only reason there is to apply Deafening is explicitly for Sonic Beam builds.

Let me briefly mention that when I say this, I also mean to define Assault Rifle itself as, for all its benefits here, being... rather mid compared to alternative powers. All these utilities are the only things that let it almost keep up with something like Soul Beam, while Power Armor still unequivocally stomps, and both the PVDs for Assault Rifle (which I'll get into shortly) are a flat-out upgrade over Assault Rifle anyways. Assault Rifle on its own is mainly used as a stepping stone to Assault Rifle PVD builds, by themed munitions characters, and by Soldier ATs who are restricted to reasonably operating out of Munitions alone. (And would you look at that, Soldier has all the powers necessary for full Assault Rifle setup! God, I love that AT.)

Having said all of that, I think I've made my biggest single point for Sonic Beam needing a buff. Because, let's be honest, "it's weaker because it's a lower-tier power that requires 3/4 powers to take instead of a higher-tier power that requires 5/6 powers to take" isn't a valid reason; the power was just added and could easily be a 5/6er instead, and it's already primed to replace the weird-and-wonky-and-fun-but-not-particularly-good Pulse Beam Rifle as Gadgeteering's mainstay single-target damage source. So, let me get onto my other, thankfully-shorter points here!

Two! Assault Rifle's PVDs completely invalidate the existence of Sonic Beam.

Okay, okay, hear me out here. My first belief is that neither of these PVDs are overpowered, as much as they are quite good. The Qularr Toxic Rifle may out-DPS Assault Rifle through and through, but in turn a proper Soul Beam build still out-DPSes it noticeably (at least in my experience,) maintaining the idea of "lower damage but more mobility." The Frosty Ice Rifle may out-DPS Assault Rifle through and through, but in turn, it doesn't even do as much damage as the Qularr Toxic Rifle does, let alone something beefier (going back to the Soul Beam example,) and its primary use is Chilled application for Shatter shenanigans (or maybe Rimefire Burst shenanigans if you're feeling spicy and/or like taking a break from THAT one's usual setup.)

Both of these PVDs throw the whole Furious issue out the window, and both their damage types (Toxic/Ice) only have one singular debuff to their name, so in the case of both, you're only maintaining one specific debuff that keeps them going. But, here's the thing. Both of them are still more beneficial/useful by far than Sonic Beam's only good source of Deafening.
    Qularr Toxic Rifle either uses Will-O', doesn't care about refreshing and does higher damage by keeping it simple and easy, or uses Infernal Blast to refresh all poisons (maintaining that 30% bonus damage as well as Deadly Poison stacks, and potentially Noxious Poison if you're using an applier like Defile or Corrosive Pit) along with some other form of Debilitating Poison application (usually Banishment or, now, I suppose, the Venom Shock PVD, which to my knowledge still applies the initial Debilitating Poison even if you don't have Ego Blade Breach, letting you burn 300 SCR and 150 GCR to save a device slot and just maintain it that way. Very good.
    Frosty Ice Rifle... well, that whole set is limited to Ice Blast for reasonable application of Hard Frost, but, in the case of pure Frosty Ice Rifle builds, still just needs an 0.5 second tap- much like the Qularr Toxic Rifle- to refresh all stacks of Chilled and apply/refresh Hard Frost, and in the case of what Frosty Ice Rifle is best at (setting up for Shatter) then that sweet sweet R2+Hard Frost Ice Blast is preferable. Also very good.

My point here is: both of these are essentially Assault Rifle R3+30%, contrasting vanilla Assault Rifle R2+30%, which is slightly stronger than Sonic Beam R2+30% to begin with. They're all just as compatible with Targeting Computer as they are with the relevant Toxic/Ice passives and depending on your build can be used with either, so "Targeting Computer saves Sonic Beam though!" isn't a valid argument here. Now, normally, normally, that's fine, right? Not every power can be the same. Sonic Beam is cheaper than Assault Rifle energy-wise and is more mobile, after all!

Except that, well... both Assault Rifle PVDs are too. While they aren't as cheap as Sonic Beam, both are slightly cheaper than base Assault Rifle when I looked at them to make the comparison. Both minutely but both noticeably, Qularr Toxic Rifle's initial energy cost is infinitesimally lower while the maintain cost is the same, and Frosty Ice Rifle's initial energy cost is higher than Qularr's but still infinitesimally lower, and the maintain cost is comfortably lower. These aren't game-breaking at all, they're very negligible normally, but they take away from one of Sonic Beam's clear gimmicks: "the easier-to-use weaker Assault Rifle but in Gadgeteering instead." But... that's fine, right? By level 40, energy costs usually aren't an issue if you aren't using an obscenely power-hungry setup, even in just junk starter-40 gear! So really, it's just that Sonic Beam is going to be much more friendly for leveling builds that are naturally energy-starved even in Heirlooms! (Let's exclude that 2GM is better for that anyways since that's kind-of besides the point.)

Well, see, when I said that "both Assault Rifle PVDs are too," I wasn't just talking about the energy costs. Both Assault Rifle PVDs allow full mobility much like Sonic Beam does, contrasting Assault Rifle's slowed/half mobility. Now, personally, I'm of the mindset that powers that have half-mobility like Assault Rifle and Flamethrower should have that movement penalty removed (we've got enough "inhibit your movement just to be able to do your jobs" powers in just about every single ranged set in the game as it is,) but while it's still there, it does stand that one of Sonic Beam's gimmicks is that you can move fully while using it in exchange for it only being somewhat weaker than Assault Rifle. And, see, moving fully is a good thing! It lets you squeeze in extra damage on Eido during yellow orb phases when running back and forth during bad orb spawns (this can theoretically save a failing Eido,) it lets you reposition in anticipation of trash wave spawns that come from reliable locations like in Therakiel's Temple or out of dangerous locations while still doing damage like in Therakiel's Temple, Teleios Ascendant, Cybermind and beyond. It's why self-rooting ranged users and especially self-rooting melee users (rest in RIP Annihilate enjoyers, you will be RIP) have much, much worse times in these sorts of content comparatively. They aren't unplayable really (outside of TA Gravitar, whom I utterly loathe and despise) but the tradeoff is, generally, more damage if you're stuck still, less damage if you can move around constantly, and having to stop attacking to un-stick and get out of a sticky spot is part of what keeps those sorts of powers balanced. But, when both Assault Rifle PVDs already fill the "Assault Rifle but you aren't having an asthma attack" niche already, gimping Sonic Beam just kind-of feels... dumb? Like it's trying not to hurt the feelings of the two PVDs or something? After all, there are ways to give Sonic Beam more of an even edge to Assault Rifle without it also invalidating the Assault Rifle PVDs in terms of utility or raw damage output. And don't get me wrong, I do like Sonic Beam. It just reads like punches were pulled with it that very clearly didn't need to be, and makes Sonic Beam kind-of mid when it's very close to being amazing.

Three! Sonic damage lacks a viable AoE counterpart to this power.

Now, yeah, yeah, this might seem minor compared to the first and second issues, and it... kind-of is, but. It ties back into both the first and second issues. See, as much as you can judge powers in a vacuum, it'll fall flat the moment you start taking them into play. The first two issues I raised above were just that: taking these powers out of the vacuum to look at them more practically. And a huge part of being out of the vacuum is the issue of mixing (or not mixing) damage types. Sonic is by far the least utilized damage type and still is, even with a bad few-months-old PVD and this new cool-but-middling single target power. Our sources of sonic AoE damage wind up being... primarily two of the same three debuff appliers I mentioned back in point one, plus some minor/negligible things like Thunderclap's Collateral Damage advantage, the limited-by-cooldown Sonic Arrow that you're already likely using to apply Deafening in the first place, or the Power Chord ultimate that are in no way reliable damage sources on their own. (And yes, I am aware of the new Ultimate Sonic Boom Generator PVD; that falls under the same category.) Reasonably? Reasonably? you're using either Sonic Boom Generator (especially now that there's an Ultimate PVD for it) or Hyper Voice for your AoE damage if sticking to Sonic damage. And there's a problem with each of these.

Sonic Boom Generator's damage output and AoE are both plain bad. Its damage itself is, point for point, only slightly higher than something like Submachinegun Burst or Bullet Hail (which as a Sonic Beam user, you are almost guaranteed to be using for reasons I am getting into shortly.) Throwing Blades and Ricochet Throw, both Gadgeteering AoEs just like Sonic Boom Generator, outpace its damage significantly, with Ricochet Throw being a middling low-tier (IIRC no power requirement?) buggy AoE blast erroneously listed as a single-target attack, and Throwing Blades being a 3/4 power just like Sonic Beam or Sonic Boom Generator itself. Throwing Blades is more expensive to use energy-wise, but both cover a much, much larger area, with Ricochet Throw being more of a series of conjoined 1-target-cap circles and Throwing Blades just being a pleasantly wide cone. Meanwhile, Sonic Boom Generator's AoE is a pitiful 10' sphere. Being mobile and firing out to 100' does not save this area-of-effect from being so utterly miniscule that it will almost never hit more than two mobs at a time, since mobs are usually spawned spaced out apart from each-other and also have a tendency to scatter in opposite directions when their aggro is drawn by a hero close to them. At least that I've seen, melee cone/sphere AoEs and PBAoEs are double what actual ranged AoEs are, easily tested in the Powerhouse: a 10' melee AoE like Reaper's Caress (or any melee combo with a wide cone, ease of testing and all) used will hit enemies that are... well, 10' away from you in all directions the AoE covers. Use Sonic Boom Generator (or any other 10' sphere, Sonic Arrow is another good example) and it will not reach that same mob, suggesting that while the 10' (or 15' for HW) of melee attacks is radius, the 10'/15'/etcetera of ranged attacks is instead diameter. And since mobs space out so aggressively that melee AoEs often won't hit all of them... well, imagine playing with a melee AoE that only reaches out to 5' instead. (Namely, imagine every single power having Neuroelectric Pulse Generator's range.) That's what something like Sonic Boom Generator is stuck with, without the burst damage utility of something like Neuroelectric Pulse Generator. Once again, being able to move around while using Sonic Boom Generator doesn't mean squat when Sonic Boom Generator is only hitting one thing at a time- and thus, you might as well just use Sonic Beam instead- anyways.

Hyper Voice is Might. It might seem odd that I put it like that. "UUUNGHH MIGHT THEREFORE BAD" or something stupid. But let me put it this way. Targeting Computer is to all ranged technology powers what Night Warrior is to all charge-spam builds outside of odd nice circumstances. A must-have that's just flat-out way better for your DPS than other passives that just give you a generic damage buff of some kind or other. If you skip out on Targeting Computer just to use Electric Form or Quantum Stabilizer, you're losing a large portion of your damage output with Sonic Beam in exchange for Hyper Voice doing slightly higher baseline damage than Bullet Hail or Submachinegun Burst with a slightly wider cone to it. But if you keep Targeting Computer then Hyper Voice won't even do the same amount of damage that Bullet Hail or Submachinegun Burst will, before factoring in the high Furious application chance at R3. And that's to say nothing of comparing it to other Technology AoEs, like the aforementioned Throwing Blades and Ricochet Throw powers, which depending on the build and situation you can get even more out of. So if you use this, you either sandbag your single-target DPS power, or sandbag your AoE power. Otherwise, you're stuck mixing Sonic and non-Sonic. (And on top of that, this being from a different powerset means you'll have to slot two set damage mods unless you just don't care about your AoE much if at all, which isn't the worst, plenty of generically good builds mix sets anyways (like Qularr Toxic Rifle + Epidemic needing both the Muni and Infernal set mods for a topical example given my prior points, but still means you're eating up a slot that could go to some other set mod, or a Veteran's Core of Might, or a Qliphothic Energies, or just a generic discount or cooldown or max-energy mod.)

Now, I'm not saying this just to defend themed builders who don't want to work outside their theme. Usually, I actually really don't like that mentality at all, the "oh my character is super strong and super fast so he only has two different Speed TPs and he doesn't have a Block, no I don't waste my time Blocking when I could be DPSing with my End-stacked Enrage Burning Chi Fist with R2+Righteous Fury adv and no Ghostly Strikes, and I keep stopping to use my EB every 4 seconds because I didn't even take an EU (I wanted Stone Shot instead,) what do you mean?" type deal. But, genuinely speaking, it is quite helpful when your AoE and single-target powers do the same damage type. It means using your AoE will hamper your effective DPS slightly less, and SOMETIMES, AoE powers might benefit from the relevant debuffs you put on your primary target in some other way too. It's small but it can be noticeable, either in the case of aggressively parsing every tiny decision you make or simply in that defense debuff you just threw up on a crowd of mooks at once with an AoE debuff applier making them die JUST fast enough that you didn't have to stop and block a battery of damaging charged attacks that would have otherwise eaten another two or three seconds of your time, which does absolutely compound over hours, tens of hours, hundreds of hours of play with a given build. And, on top of that, powers matching visually is just plain pleasing to the average gamer monkey-brain. It's the simple fact of the matter.

With that all said, the issue is you're likely going to either be using Ricochet Throw or Throwing Blades for your AoE powers. Ricochet Throw isn't bad but isn't the kind of thing you want to rely on late on into the game, and Throwing Blades kind-of has an... "well if you're already using it, why not pick up Blade Barrage PVD next Nighthawk Event and use that as your (sort-of) single-target attack instead? Oops, did you just accidentally no more Sonic damage? Better start throwing on two different Piercing debuffs now!" issue. Otherwise, otherwise, if you're not using those, then you're likely using Submachinegun Burst or Bullet Hail. Or hey, if you're feeling spicy, maybe even Torrent of Arrows! (Not Storm of Arrows though. That poor power needs a buff badly itself.) But once again, you're leaving both your intended damage type and your intended powerset, though at least these all work with Targeting Computer.

Now! Having said all this, I... might have made it sound like Sonic Beam is this totally hopeless and un-salvageable mess of a power, but it really, really isn't. There are a few simple, easy fixes I'd like to suggest that would make Sonic Beam- and some of these other weak/bad Sonic powers- a little more useful, as well as some bigger changes that would rewrite more of how Sonic Beam- and again, potentially other Sonic damage powers- work. I'm not suggesting that every single one of these would and should be applied at once; only that some of them could be applied/added together and that I'm trying to stir up ideas, keep that in mind when some pairings look like they might be busted-strong.

Simple changes to Sonic Beam could include:
    Making the "Sonic Bombardment" adv only 1 point (as long as it excludes ults from its cooldown reduction.) This makes Sonic Beam more useful when throwing around effects like Toxic Nanites, or when using Resurrection Serum, Tanglecoil Launcher and Entangling Mesh, yada yada, etcetera etcetera, without just being a straight DPS upgrade and without relegating it to "the power you take when you forget Rapid Shots already exists and already uses a more commonly-used and commonly-debuffed and versatile damage type, and don't want to be slowed down by Assault Rifle."
    Making Sonic Amplification's bonus slightly larger (say, 40% instead of 30%) and making it make the power cost slightly higher, to put it more up in the realm of Assault Rifle through and through (while letting Rapid Shots keep its gimmick, as much as that poor power needs a buff too with the unfortunate state it's in right now.)
    Making Sonic Beam a narrow cylinder AoE with the same range instead of a single-target power, increasing the energy cost slightly and putting it in the realm of "slightly better than Assault Rifle for AoE but not as powerful for single-target."

Simple changes to other Sonic damage powers could include:
    Make the Deafening on full charge/maintain inherent to Sonic Boom Generator and Hyper Voice, and change their respective Deafening advs so that they instead immediately apply Deafening to all targets hit on tap instead of full maintain.
    Widen the AoE of Sonic Boom Generator; it should be at least 15' but considering how poor its damage is and considering its competition, it's more deserving of 20'.
    Buff the damage of Hyper Voice slightly; if you're using it alongside Sonic Beam then you're either giving up Targeting Computer and losing a huge chunk of Sonic Beam's damage or you're still using Targeting Computer which makes Hyper Voice worse than really dinky low-damage AoEs like Bullet Hail and Submachinegun Burst. Make it something like one third stronger so that it can at least compete with them.

More complex changes to Sonic Beam could include:
    Introduce a new advantage, "Precision Acoustics," a 2-point adv that removes Sonic Beam's Disorient application chance but makes Sonic Beam gain 30% base damage against targets affected by Disorient, and provides/refreshes a buff that gives you an extra tick of Sonic damage roughly equivalent to your Sonic Beam's strength (minus this adv specifically) to your next Sonic attack that isn't Sonic Beam; said buff being meant to be an extra damage spike on Hyper Voice or Sonic Boom Generator use to provide a little more outside utility as well as make up for having to maintain/charge them for Deafening (as it currently is) and for Sonic Arrow for the same full-charge respectively, as this adv would require Disorient to work. Intended to be added alongside Surround Sound.
    Introduce a new advantage, "Surround Sound," a 3-point adv that gives Sonic Beam a 20% bonus in base damage (putting it on par with a rank but preventing the user from going R2 AND Precision Acoustics as well) and turns Sonic Beam into a 15' sphere AoE with 100' of range. Full damage and Disorient application chance is applied to the primary target, but half damage and half Disorient application chance is applied to secondary targets. If the primary target is affected by Deafening, the damage and Disorient application chance are increased to full, mirroring the primary target. This comes packaged with a moderate energy cost nerf/increase and a movement speed penalty while maintaining (similar to Assault Rifle or Flamethrower.) Intended to be added alongside Precision Acoustics.
    Introduce a new advantage, "Catchy Tunes," a 1-point adv that deals an additional 5% of Sonic Beam's damage as Ego Damage to the target (or all targets if paired with Surround Sound) and upon full maintain, applies a weak DoT to the target(s) affected that cause them to emanate tiny pulses of Sonic damage to enemies within 10' of them, similar to a slightly weaker Noxious Poison. (May or may not play distorted Foxbat singing while firing.)
    Introduce a new advantage, "Smooth Tunes," a 1-point adv that grants Sonic Beam 5% bonus critical chance and matching critical severity for 8 seconds upon fully maintaining, or refreshes/replaces this buff if it is already present.
    Introduce a new advantage, "Migraine," a 2-point adv that increases Sonic Beam's base damage by 10% as opposed to the 20% of an extra rank, but gives it a 20% chance per tick to apply one stack of Stagger, and causes it to refresh all stacks of Stagger on a full maintain.
    Introduce a new advantage, "Power Metal," a 1-point adv that gives Sonic Beam a 5% chance per tick to apply one stack of Furious to yourself (and another 5% chance of applying one stack of Furious to yourself as well as up to four allies within 10' of you,) and causes Sonic Beam to refresh all of your own stacks of Furious on full maintain.
    Introduce a new advantage, "Hearing Loss," a 1-point adv that removes Sonic Beam's Disorient chance, but allows it to fully refresh Deafening on a full maintain.
    Introduce a new advantage, "Harmonic Convergence," a 3-point adv that adds a heal component to Sonic Beam that functions as a Life Drain, healing at a strength comparable to a R1 Life Drain/Mind Drain/Life Essence each tick and healing up to five allies within 20' (including the user if they are within range.) If paired with Cellular Resonance, both Harmonic Convergence and Cellular Resonance ticks are applied to the primary target, while Harmonic Convergence ticks are applied to up to four secondary targets surrounding them. Intended to be added alongside Cellular Resonance.
    Introduce a new advantage, "Cellular Resonance," a 2-point adv that turns Sonic Beam from a single-target damaging power to a single-target healing power, and causes an extra rank to increase how powerful the healing effect is. In this state, non-rank advs do not apply, except for Harmonic Convergence. When used alongside Harmonic Convergence, Cellular Resonance suffers no healing penalty. Cellular Resonance can self-target to apply the healing of Cellular Resonance (and potentially Harmonic Convergence) to one's self. Intended to be added alongside Harmonic Convergence.

More complex changes to other Sonic damage powers could include:
    Introduce a new defpen debuff that pairs Sonic with something else, likely either Electric or Particle. I don't know what powers could apply this by default or apply this through an adv, but it does feel like a safe bet that at the very least both Sonic Boom Generator and Hyper Voice could have advs to apply them, making up for their needing to charge fully to apply, at least speaking solely of Sonic powers applying it and not anything potential others.
    Introduce more/new Sonic damage powers to fill more niches that Sonic is lacking, like (good) dedicated AoEs, as an alternative to buffing old ones. Cone-AoE sound guns with built-in Deafening application chance, potentially?
    Introduce a new adv to Sonic Boom Generator, "Afterparty," a 2-point adv which causes this power- when fully charged- to leave behind a 15'-wide Pyre Patch type effect that lasts for 10 seconds, dealing low Sonic damage and causing enemies it hits to emit pulses of Sonic damage that damage themselves and up to four other targets within 10' of them. On expiration, this Sonic pyre patch refreshes any Deafenings present on the targets it hits.
    Produce an entirely new slotted passive that functions similarly to Targeting Computer, but for all Sonic powers instead of all Technology powers. (Potentially trade the damage resistance bonus of Targeting Computer for a small sum of defpen to help Sonic regain a little ground in terms of damage output, or replace Lock On with a constant passive Chance+Sev buff to Sonic damage powers that's present at all times, giving Sonic damage an edge in landing decisive first blows?)
    Potentially discard Disorient entirely for Sonic powers, in favor of creating some new debuff all Sonic powers would apply or interact with that fills a similar niche to Stagger, providing a minute all-damage defense debuff on affected targets, allowing Sonic to play a little more into general and group utility instead of forcing it to directly compete with other, more damaging sets to be the dozenth DPS on the block?

These are just a few ideas thought up off the top of my head while doing other things and lurking around the Powerhouse. There are many more potential options for giving Sonic Beam more of a place than "Assault Rifle but worse, oh wait, Rapid Shots is already that," and I'd just like to see Sonic as a damage type get some love, Sonic Beam get to shine more, and have a viable laser-beam-esque weapon to use that isn't just Pulse Beam Rifle. (Which, coincidentally, also already fills the niche of "Assault Rifle but worse, OH WAIT," and is really the heart of why I wrote this in the first place; even Pulse Beam Rifle makes Sonic Beam redundant at best.)

Please buff cool technology-scream-pistol. I beg.

(Post updated to fix a few typos and a spot where I said "100 GCR" when I meant "150 GCR" and was having a mental breakdown.)
    Post edited by thisiscraftaaa on
    Defender save my soul, for I have sinned...
  • Options
    Nice novel
  • Options
    Sonic Beam's values are based on these attributes:
    100ft range
    Free moving
    Single target

As far as single target powers go, it is on the lower end for damage because it has those listed attributes. Powers that have shorter range, root, reduce speed, etc get damage bumps based on the severity of the disadvantage. (I am aware of the anomaly that is power armor).

What is not considered when making a power like that is availability of debuffs, energy unlocks, etc, as that can all change with an addition of a new power that fills whatever gap there is. It does create a scenario where a power underperforms due to those gaps, which is typically why I don't really like to just add new powers without an accompanying revamp to ensure whatever needs are met, but time has unfortunately been scarce for full scale power adjustments.

I've largely resorted to making PVDs to fill in lack of power additions, (as they take a fraction of the time to create than any full-fledged power, are great reward options and are something archetype characters can make use of), but I wanted to add something for the sonic damage type that would bring it within range of other types, even though there are still glaring holes in its utility.

There will be other additions to help mend those gaps hopefully next year, and perhaps other single target powers that have restrictions on them that would allow for higher damage output, but I cannot promise any sort of eta.​​
  • Options
    All those fractions spent on PVDs will eventually sum to the time that could have been spent on a revamp with powers that all characters on an account can use.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options
    spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 634 Arc User

• Tier 3 Gadgeteering
    • Deals Sonic damage.
    • Chance to Disorient target.
    • Adv (2): Reduces cooldowns of your Gadgeteering powers by a small amount every hit.
    • Adv (2): Increases damage if the target is affected by Deafening.
    ​​

The visuals for Sonic Beam are very nice!
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    100ft range
    Free moving
    Single target

As far as single target powers go, it is on the lower end for damage because it has those listed attributes. Powers that have shorter range, root, reduce speed, etc get damage bumps based on the severity of the disadvantage. (I am aware of the anomaly that is power armor).

What is not considered when making a power like that is availability of debuffs, energy unlocks, etc, as that can all change with an addition of a new power that fills whatever gap there is. It does create a scenario where a power underperforms due to those gaps, which is typically why I don't really like to just add new powers without an accompanying revamp to ensure whatever needs are met, but time has unfortunately been scarce for full scale power adjustments.

I've largely resorted to making PVDs to fill in lack of power additions, (as they take a fraction of the time to create than any full-fledged power, are great reward options and are something archetype characters can make use of), but I wanted to add something for the sonic damage type that would bring it within range of other types, even though there are still glaring holes in its utility.

There will be other additions to help mend those gaps hopefully next year, and perhaps other single target powers that have restrictions on them that would allow for higher damage output, but I cannot promise any sort of eta.​​

That's the big thing, like I started out my post with, yeah. Looked at in a vacuum, Sonic Beam is fine as it is. More mobility for slightly lower damage on otherwise identical powers? Nothing wrong with that, and I am both happy to see Gadgeteer get another, more generally-viable single-target attack power, and looking forward to using it in the future. The lack of consideration both for the availability of debuffs and the requirements of the power itself for use are what shoots it in the foot: even considering that Sonic Beam is a genuine 1:1 to Rapid Shots in terms of range and damage output (excluding the advs, where Rapid Shots pulls ahead, let alone Assault Rifle) Piercing has so much utility in both buffs and debuffs that Sonic doesn't have.

To that end, the end of my post has a heap of random suggestions that could be implemented in the near or far future for bridging that gap, but at the bare minimum, looking outside of Sonic Beam itself and assuming that we want to leave Sonic Beam entirely as-is, I'd like to raise that Deafening needs to be more accessible; more methods to apply or at least refresh on a tap since the only one isn't even in Gadgeteering, and we need more/better AoE Sonic powers for Gadgeteering as well. Just making AoE Sonic damage... well, not garbage in-set and out-of-set would be a huge problem-solver here.

(It is worth noting that the Disorient on Sonic Beam (or the Snare on Rapid Shots for that matter) is useless where it matters most; you're generally spamming an AoE on anything and everything that isn't a boss of some kind (and those are immune to both those effects anyways) or else you're killing something so fast that Disorient or Snare don't have time to matter. Everything I say here is said in context of completely ignoring Disorient's existence here because it just plain doesn't matter in actual play, whether you're shooting at an Alert boss, Therakiel or Eidolon. It probably matters more for PvPers, but I'm going to be blunt, I don't consider the PvP side of things because I've little experience with and no interest in it; I'm concerned with the PvE of it alone.)

Having said all that, I'd like to raise one more brief thought! One that just came to mind when writing this. Potentially either a 1-point advantage or else a future PVD for Sonic Beam that converts it to Crushing damage and makes the bonus damage adv (which would be base/inherent instead if it was a PVD I would imagine) scale off Demolish instead of Deafening? Outside of the buggy, scuffed mess that is PA, we're, as far as I can recall, entirely lacking for ranged single-target Crushing maintains, and given how there's already some slight (and slightly weird) overlap with Might, another direction to take Sonic Beam could be letting it work with Crushing instead, which would also have the benefit of more compatibility with Might, Munitions AND even a little bit with the non-toggle portion of Power Armor, as well as access to more debuffs, which it sorely needs.

One quick little edit: I'm saying all of this with the understanding that these are not the kinds of wide changes you can just casually make in a week; my thought process is that these sorts of changes could come incrementally over a long span of time, and that's my hope; Sonic Beam eventually becoming more of a viable side-grade in the future rather than "slight-to-low-moderate downgrade for the theme that is STILL Gadgeteer's best single-target damage power with that in mind."
    Post edited by thisiscraftaaa on
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    There is a large disparity in how debuffs are applied across sets. For example, arcane has hex of suffering, which applies the magic damage debuff baseline, is a click power, a DoT, and has some nice utility advantages. It's wonderful, please don't change it. Infernal and Arcane share wisp, which is also good, 100' range and has some nice advantages. These stand in contrast to a set like Darkness.. where you need to full-charge lower damage powers to apply devoid. It's easy to keep up after that with dimensional collapse, but applying and re-applying are a pain in the rear.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I keep hearing people say Sonic beam is UNDERWHELMING and....
    Are my DPS standards very low or are yours TOO HIGH!?

Im like one of the 5 people in the entire game who build for SONIC DPS and was looking forward for more sonic powers!

Here a GIF of my Sonic DPS I have been having for 10 years and Haven't updated even since we got Hypervoice and Power Chord!
    • I can get 2500-2600 on critical with Rank 2 + Deafening Boost adv
    • Then with Target Locked (failing to get critical until the last hit...)
    • Then with ULTIMATE Sonic Boom's Debuff which makes it reach to 3700 on crtical
    F6zinzS.gif
    I'm satisfied with the DPS from this! I don't see anything underwhelming!
    ALL OSV secondaries, ALL heroics!
    NO DUC! NO Telios Gadget Utility! Good Old EGO Primary stacking!

and speaking of Hypervoice, please do something for the Placeholder art and the ridiculous Repel magnitude mechanics that sabotage the power itself!
    Hypervoice went from my Main DPS power into insufferable AOE

Suggestion: Give Soul Mesmerism adv to apply Defeaning DEBUFF or merge it with the (Glossolalia) ADV
    100ft range
    Free moving
    Single target

Generously surprised the power got Free Movement

Well~ Now Telios Gadget's value has been increased with the addition of the Throwing Knives PVD and Sonic Beam :grimace: Pulse Beam Rifle has no longer the Monopoly!
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Icefall
    • Scales off of Fault Line.
    • Deals cold damage to targets in front of you.
    • Chance to chill targets.
    • Chance to apply Hard Frost to primary target. Chance increases if affected by Cold Snap.
    ​​
    AH I see Icefall and Frost Rifle PVDs were added to GCR/SCR Store and are gated behind Perks! :+1: That's awesome

whats not awesome is those new perks NOT being retroactive... all those Finkle Foundry run went to waste.. :weary::weary:
    :weary:
    What does the perk required for Icefall is? 25 Finkle Foundry runs?
  • Options
    gammabreakergammabreaker Posts: 230 Arc User
    Regarding Hyper Voice and its repel magnitude: Please leave that as the default, but perhaps add a 2 or 3 point advantage that removes the Repel but increases the damage of Hyper Voice drastically.

The intense repel is what makes it fun, like Shadow Embrace throwing mobs behind you. :D
  • Options

whats not awesome is those new perks NOT being retroactive... all those Finkle Foundry run went to waste.. :weary::weary:
    :weary:

Unfortunately there was no tracker in place to keep count of Clarence and Finkle runs, (there was for Nightmare and Liberated).​​
  • Options
    I keep hearing people say Sonic beam is UNDERWHELMING and....
    Are my DPS standards very low or are yours TOO HIGH!?

I would say yours are rather low within the context of lategame/endgame and non-casual content in particular. Not in general, not everywhere else, just specifically in that context. What you posted there is... honestly, working entirely as expected based on what the folks in this thread who've tinkered with the power and gotten a feel for it expected? Which is entirely acceptable for casual content! But. Something like Assault Rifle (or even maybe Rapid Shots) with stock 40-blue primaries (in R4s or R5s) and stock 40-purple secondaries already act as an "acceptable minimum, do not show up if you have anything less" lowest-rung-to-reach for things like Teleiosaurus or Eidolon or TA and Moreau's Laboratory (maybe even TT) and so on, stemming from both having a higher damage potential both on their own AND because of their damage type and what buffs they do or don't use, all just... putting them ahead of Sonic Beam. And that's without getting into the whole "matching AoEs" thing I talked about in my own review, and acknowledging how both all sorts of PVDs as well as plenty of normal/baseline powers blow them out of the water in turn.

Event content? Fine! Alerts? A-Okay! Sonic Beam is more than acceptable for these sorts of things already, and I look forward to using it for those sorts, just like I've already seen others using it for them! My concern stems more from the fact that as it is, this feels like it's in the exact same boat as Pulse Beam Rifle: not capable of putting enough DPS out on its own to outweigh it having poor synergies both in-set and out-of-set AND being set up innately poorly for running most of the kinds of content where how well you perform / what you bring actually matters.

I do want to see a wall of Sonic Beams boring a hole through every single world boss out there and I want to not feel like I'm personally dooming an already-slow TT team to endless enrages and wipes because I'm using the funny scream-beam pistol instead of sucking it up and just building my fourth PA or third Soul Beam, but just comparing Sonic Beam to its competitors, I do not feel safe using it for these more intensive things unless I've overgeared it beyond the sort of safe and reasonable minimum that many similar powers work fine at, juuust like Vengeance spam builds, Pulse Beam Rifle builds, TK Lance builds, so on and so forth. (And if I've already overgeared it then I've reached the point where I'm likely never actually using it outside of the same kinds of casual content like events that, paradoxically, are the places where it's still safe to use undergeared in the first place, since I've got enough geared characters with better baseline powers already that those are the ones that come out to play when "come TT with us" or "please send help to dino, we're failing checks bad.")

That's just my impression from testing it and comparing it numbers-wise though, mainly to its direct competitors of Assault Rifle and Rapid Shots (with the kinds of builds that usually accompany those powers instead of just in a vacuum, and of course Sonic Beam's closest available parallels to those.)
  • Options
    ultronyte#7191 ultronyte Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited December 2023
    Regarding Hyper Voice and its repel magnitude: Please leave that as the default, but perhaps add a 2 or 3 point advantage that removes the Repel but increases the damage of Hyper Voice drastically.

The intense repel is what makes it fun, like Shadow Embrace throwing mobs behind you. :D

Agreed. While it is fun, the repel is so counter-intuitive in a team setting. I'd love to be able to remove it through advantages, maybe switching out the repel for a stun. But maybe that's asking for too much.

• Options
    ansharkisharansharkishar Posts: 7 Arc User
    hi4n07682ant.png
    8dmgkouz1vb7.png

Female Electro Swing Hat only comes with the hair attachment, but not the goggles.
    Male Electro Swing Hat shows both options.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I'm personally dooming an already-slow TT team to endless enrages and wipes because I'm using the funny scream-beam pistol instead of sucking it up and just building my fourth PA or third Soul Beam,

Not on topic, but just wanted to say that this is one reason I don't do TT. Feels like too much of a need for restricted cookie-cutter builds. I want a bit more felxability in the kinds of builds I can use. Not completely stupid ones, but not ones that should adhere to a narrow format. Happy if others enjoy them (though there should have been a more casual-friendly version of the CO culimination, but that boat has sailed); just not something for me.​​
    Post edited by jaazaniah1 on
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    "Season's Greetings" Title doesn't work. I have a character who doesn't have the title, can purchase it from the vendor, but the item says it is not usable.
  • Options
    gammabreakergammabreaker Posts: 230 Arc User
    Agreed. While it is fun, the repel is so counter-intuitive in a team setting. I'd love to be able to remove it through advantages, maybe switching out the repel for a stun. But maybe that's asking for too much.

A stun-switching advantage would be a great addition to breath weapons that stun. Something like 20% per tick + 100% vs Disoriented targets.