test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions Online Player Numbers - June 2022

I know that "the game is dying" is an awful forum cliche, but gosh it's quiet at the moment.

It has always been bad when the US is asleep but right now (1000 UK time on a weekend) there are 40 players total in Millennium City. Steam Charts (which I know are unreliable, but even so) report a consistent average of less than 100 players for the last few months, which is the lowest ever. There's no-one running Cosmics in Canada or MI, and unless I've missed some mass Eidolon event there is simply *no-one here*.

Anyone know what the deal is? Some mass exodus caused by something or other? SG drama? Power changes? Newer, better games? Half the players were Vladimir Putin (I notice a particular drop in February?)? Or is it just the game population has dropped below some critical level where you can't even keep the Alert queue running any more?

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    The population does "feel" a bit lower than usual at the moment, but there are no events running and Harmon Labs is done for another couple months. I'll be curious to see how much things pick up for the 4th of July.

However, at ca. 8:00 am EST today in the USA we had enough people for 1 kiga, 2 apes and 2 dinos. Yesterday the cosmics happened every 4 hours and I saw at least 2 attempts at Eido (I know the one in which I participated was successful; left after that).

We're just in that spiral where the company doesn't want to invest more in the game unless they see players spending money, and I think quite a few players are not spending money because they don't see any development or have already bought most everything the game has to offer that they want (at least that's the case for me). About all I buy anymore are catalysts. I remember a time, not long ago, when every other week there was a sale. Now they are few and far between. Not sure if that is a decision from on high or the CO team just forgeting. They might try having sales more often again. I do wonder how much money they have actually made/saved since getting rid of subscriptions? Once upon a time people bought vehicles, but since the heavy-handed nerf a few years back that turned them into just travel devices I doubt that they make anything much on those. They are trying to figure out a way to get people to buy keys for lootboxes, hence putting powers there (some would say pay to win), rather than finishing the power revamps, which I wager most people would prefer.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • zwipezantherzwipezanther Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    Haven't had issues with cosmic wait times on my end (Pacific Standard Time). I know a lot of people went back to work/school/traveling now that COVID restrictions have lightened up, so that could have affected the population at certain hours of the day.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Haven't had issues with cosmic wait times on my end (Pacific Standard Time). I know a lot of people went back to work/school/traveling now that COVID restrictions have lightened up, so that could have affected the population at certain hours of the day.

That's the point, though. There is no point trying to do anything in the game until the US is around, and even then things only really liven up in the very late evening, UK time. There doesn't seem to be a European game community around any more, which is a shame.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    According to the MMO Populations site Champions is the fastest growing of the Cryptic games at the moment, at 1.24% per month (STO is 0.72% and Neverwinter only 0.48% growth). On the other hand, CO still has the smallest population of the three and if the trend continues it would be a long time before it caught up:

Ranking / Game / Daily Player Count

27 / Neverwinter / 2.81M

29 / Star Trek Online / 2.64M

94 / Champions Online / 65.31K

The site tracks 130 games btw.

edited July 2022
    They should do some kind of cross-game promotion between CO, STO, and NW.

For example, hit level 40 in CO and you get an exclusive mount in STO or NW, or something along that line.

Or crossover type events where a NW boss appears in CO, or vice versa.
  • I am surprised Gearbox isn't looking at ways to advertise the game with shows like The Boys or Invincible.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Posts: 10 Arc User
    I am surprised Gearbox isn't looking at ways to advertise the game with shows like The Boys or Invincible.

They would be better off trying to advertise during the Arrowverse shows (if they last much longer) or Marvel, The Boys is pure deconstruction of the genre instead of being a true superhero show, though Invincible might work since it is a kind of hybrid between superhero and a deconstruction of the superhero genre.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    For a bit of perspective, this clip from an interview with one of the devs for Path of Exile has talks on numbers of players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-mA55WPVKc

The initial team he's talking about is almost certainly larger than the current CO dev team.
  • servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    CO has enough missions and content at varying levels. The problem isn't that. The problem is THEY'RE MOSTLY NOT REWARDING TO DO. Just look at the rewards for doing the bulk of them: XP and recogs. Why would anyone bother with them when they can just do Alerts?

Alerts were an ok idea, but it was (pardon my French) half-assed, effectively killing any interest in doing Missions in the various maps. Same reason PVP is null. There aren't any worthwhile rewards in exchange for the Acclaim currency.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Everytime with this. I hate this talk like listening to my parents discussing separation.

Here is from the hundred other times we talked about this. There is more but whatever:
    etc

Same time next year or nah? LoL.

I said it was a cliche! But I had noticed that the number of active players was even lower than the number of players in the game - there were loads of people standing around in Ren Cen posing and no-one actually playing. Which is a bit disappointing, because I log in knowing I can't get any daily Alerts going and I'm probably going to get bored and log out again. I keep coming back to Champions with good intentions to stick around, and after 10 minutes of nothing happening I go and play something else.
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    The joy I get from this game is mostly creating OC and tributes. As for the playing aspect it's either an event or Alerts. I understand the whole AFK nation. I too sometimes log on after work but so tired I just fall asleep on my PC. To just chill ain't so bad.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • rojan1987rojan1987 Posts: 37 Arc User

For example, hit level 40 in CO and you get an exclusive mount in STO or NW, or something along that line.

I agree
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    rojan1987 wrote: »

I agree

Licensing issues.
    They can't just add Vecna to the Halloween event without getting the okay from WotC. They can't just have Klingons invade Millenium City without getting the okay from Paramount or CBS or whoever.

And the okay might not even be that difficult to get, but it would almost certainly cost them money, and I doubt that anyone has much faith that a Klingon invasion of MC is going to bring money into CO.

Even a crossover promotion would likely only increase the population to the extent that people would play to get the reward.
    I get a new STO ship, let's call it a Millenium class cruiser, if I level a hero to 40 in CO during an event? Okay, I come in, I play, I level my toon, and...? I am pretty sure that every STO and NW player knows that CO is here.
    Any new people that come here to get the ship likely do so *JUST* to get the ship and then go back to STO. Or they came here from Neverwinter *JUST* to get the companion or whatever and then they go back to NW.

I think if they were inclined to play they would have at least checked it out by now. Same with PWI, Torchlight Infinite, Forsaken World, etc. They are all there on the ARC login.
    I see what you're saying, but the point is not to promote NW or STO to CO.

The point is to expose CO to the bigger games' playerbase.

Another major MMO company does in-game events to promote other games within their company library. Cryptic owns some CO IP if Im not mistaken, so it shouldn't be an issue for CO characters like Dr Destroyer or Witchcraft to make occasional cameos in NW or STO via event quest chains.

I.e. Witchcraft NPC shows up in Protector's Enclave (The Millennium City equivalent in NW). Talisman somehow escaped through a rift into NW and she needs help getting her back. Really simple quest but the exposure to CO characters and background makes for memorable advertising.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    Another major MMO company does in-game events to promote other games within their company library. Cryptic owns some CO IP if Im not mistaken, so it shouldn't be an issue for CO characters like Dr Destroyer or Witchcraft to make occasional cameos in NW or STO via event quest chains.
    The problem there is that the owners of those other IPs (WotC for NW and Paramount for STO) are likely going to object against having some other IP inserted into a product for their IP. Simply because it doesn't benefit them at all to allow advertising a competing product without some sort of monetary compensation.

And yes, CO is competing with NW and STO simply by virtue of all three being MMOs.