test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question about Copyright Rules and Parody/Fan Fiction OC's

I know a little bit about Copyright Law and Fair Use, but I'm not sure if PW/Cryptic take these into consideration for their rules. I wanted to post some examples and see if anyone knew whether or not they're allowed in the game. I wanted to submit a ticket for this to ask the devs, but there's no option for it. All the options for either reporting something or different technical issues.

Ex1: A parody character named Super Old Man and his character looks like a really old man with balding grey hair, a blue suit, underwear, and a red and yellow S, and a red cape.

Ex2: A fan fiction Original Character named Jack who is dressed like him belongs in a show like Attack on Titan, Bleach, Dragon Ball etc; stories where multiple characters wear similar uniforms/outfits. I know we see a ton of original Saiyan characters running around, but I have no idea if these are against the rules.

Ex3: A completely original character with an original name and a costume inspired by a character. Like a character that is dressed like Chucky from Child's Play, but looks nothing like the actual character. Basically, cosplay.

The only thing that is clear is that a name and costume/character is clearly copying a copyright character. But this other stuff isn't too clear. All all those original Super Saiyan characters being Bad Named or are they allowed? I've tried searching, but couldn't find any threads asking any of these questions.

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Answers:
    1. Parody
    2. Fan Fiction character
    3. Inspired
    'Nuff said.
    Enjoy the game and customisation.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    Nothing here is against the rules. Bit of fun, maybe not the most clever or well-thought out, but to each their own.

I always encourage a lot of creativity and expression on CO. It's based on a table top RPG, and gives us one of the most powerful character creators in gaming history. Why not do something special and unique with that?

Why not take the time and growing pains to create something entirely yours, that belongs in and compliments the Champions setting?

Gimmicks and cheap, obvious parodies will only take you so far.