test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Include Super magnifier in DisruptiveFX / Show or hide other's auras

drinkingchocs#2294 drinkingchocs Posts: 26 Arc User
edited March 2022 in Suggestions Box
Please include Super magnifier in DisruptiveFX. I'm tired of being forced to see things I don't want to see.
"Only those who want to enjoy" this kind of thing should do it, and "only those who want to see it should see it".
I don't understand why we can't switch it on and off. Is there any inconvenience in making it selectable?

And by using this device, most auras also have huge effects. Not only is it visually distracting, but it also has a minor negative impact on PC performance, doesn't it?
neN9W2J.png
Is there any other MMO where a particular player is so assertive? No, I don't think so.
The option to simplify or hide the effects of other players and their companion pets is an essential option for MMO games where people are crowded in the same place.

I am not saying that this device should be erased from the game. However, if there is freedom of fashion, there should be freedom for those who see it. If you have a good reason for not letting people choose to turn it on and off, please let me know.
I haven't said anything wrong about this and there should be nothing to argue about.
Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

Comments

• Options
    omega2764omega2764 Posts: 36 Arc User
    er? I thought there was a toggle to switch off these in options? I know it was there when the new magnifiers went live as I checked if it was on or off.
  • Options
    h4forumsh4forums Posts: 268 Arc User
    I've had this character a long time, using this exact setup, with no issues. Very disappointing people only recently decided to take issue with it. I guess its human nature to find things to complain about.
  • Options
    > @h4forums said:
    > I've had this character a long time, using this exact setup, with no issues. Very disappointing people only recently decided to take issue with it. I guess its human nature to find things to complain about.

The reason no one has made an issue of it so far is either because they didn't want to cause any unnecessary trouble, or because people aren't paying that much attention to you.
    In response to your desire to be noticed, I am featuring you here with a picture. I hope you will thank me for that.

But unfortunately, the content of this discussion is as the title suggests, and you are just one obvious example of why you want to turn off these effects. So I'm not going to talk any more about your boring gag character this time.
  • Options
    > @omega2764 said:
    > er? I thought there was a toggle to switch off these in options? I know it was there when the new magnifiers went live as I checked if it was on or off.

I'm sorry if you didn't get what I was trying to say. I am not referring to the recently added Mega Magnifier, but to the existing Super Magnifier. This one is visible to everyone regardless of whether DisruptiveFX is on or off, and the effect is only applied during non-combat situations.
    What I'm trying to say is that this should be included in the DisruptiveFX as well as the supermag, and the effect should be selectable on or off.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    > @h4forums said:
    > I've had this character a long time, using this exact setup, with no issues. Very disappointing people only recently decided to take issue with it. I guess its human nature to find things to complain about.

Oops, I just noticed the topic you started. It was already closed, so I can't quote it.
    For the record, I didn't report you. I would have, if they would have taken the reason of being an eyesore as a valid reason, though.
  • Options
    I'm getting mixed messages here. If people are not paying attention to my character then it is a non-issue isn't it? Like everyone else here I have a variety of characters, some are loud and some are subtle. Last I checked, having this kind of variety is part of what makes the character editor awesome. I rotate through them, casuals, mechas, monsters and enjoy them all. In the above screenshot you posted, this is a non combat area where many other players also display large characters with bright auras. You're trying to portray me as some sort of troll who is out to make people miserable, and that is far from the truth. I just like to show off what I think looks cool, like everyone else.
  • Options
    > @h4forums said:
    > I'm getting mixed messages here. If people are not paying attention to my character then it is a non-issue isn't it? Like everyone else here I have a variety of characters, some are loud and some are subtle. Last I checked, having this kind of variety is part of what makes the character editor awesome. I rotate through them, casuals, mechas, monsters and enjoy them all. In the above screenshot you posted, this is a non combat area where many other players also display large characters with bright auras. You're trying to portray me as some sort of troll who is out to make people miserable, and that is far from the truth. I just like to show off what I think looks cool, like everyone else.

If you think this is cool, that's fine. But your character is blatantly annoying. Normally, you should be able to notice that this effect would be annoying to some people and be considerate of others.

No, it's not just Rencen. I remember the other day in the Clarence battle, you kept showing up in the same form as in that screenshot. That was really, really annoying.

Other players? No, so far no one has been as flashy and annoying as you. If there were, I would have attached a screenshots same as well. I have DisruptiveFX turned off all the time, so if I turn it on, maybe there are other people who are outrageous, but at least I can't think of any other player who uses Super magnifier who is dressed in a messed up way, other than you.
    As I said in the beginning, if you think this is cool, that's fine. On the other hand, there may be people who think you are cool. It's a big world.
    The problem is this game system that allows to force it on others.
    For example, everyone has their own tastes in music and movies. If they are played forever because "it's good music" or "it's a good movie," it is impossible not to feel uncomfortable.

Only those who want to see it can see it, and those who don't want to see it can hide it. This proposal of mine can perfectly meet the needs of both sides.
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    h4forums wrote: »
    I've had this character a long time, using this exact setup, with no issues. Very disappointing people only recently decided to take issue with it. I guess its human nature to find things to complain about.

No, you haven't.

The many blinding auras is a recent addition. This is extra annoying, over the: large size, large wingspan.

When you are out doing "your thing", fine, be and do whatever. But, when you show up like this for large group content, this character is very annoying.

Personally, if I could hide your character by putting you on ignore, I'd do it. I'm not going to dance around the subject. This character is INTENTIONALLY setup to be as overtly annoying as possible.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Yesterday he claimed he was banned from the game, so this should no longer be an issue?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    > @jaazaniah1 said:
    > Yesterday he claimed he was banned from the game, so this should no longer be an issue?

I did see him in game after that post.
    Whether he comes back or not doesn't matter to me though.

I'm a little off topic just because of him, but the main point is as the title says. He is just an example of the need for this change to be included.

Fun features like this that are fancy and not directly related to the game deserve to be able to be turned on and off.
    It's better to have the choice than not to have it, so questioning it is questionable in itself.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Yesterday he claimed he was banned from the game, so this should no longer be an issue?
    Yeah I got unbanned after contacting customer support because it was due to mass reports about "harassment", not the auras and magnifiers themselves. I think the reports were misleading because I didn't harass anybody. I also thought it was a permanent ban so I wanted to give a farewell.

warcanch wrote: »

No, you haven't.

The many blinding auras is a recent addition. This is extra annoying, over the: large size, large wingspan.

When you are out doing "your thing", fine, be and do whatever. But, when you show up like this for large group content, this character is very annoying.

Personally, if I could hide your character by putting you on ignore, I'd do it. I'm not going to dance around the subject. This character is INTENTIONALLY setup to be as overtly annoying as possible.​​

The character has been around a very long time with the magnifier and same looks. The bright auras though, were added when those came out, because I saw other people using the auras and really liked how they look. Maybe you didn't notice it until I added the auras? It is certainly set up to be bright and colorful, not specifically to annoy people. In your case, consider the character macros you are known for. I've always thought they were funny and added to your characters, but other people might think you're intentionally being annoying. So you should reconsider whether something you don't like is actually something meant to be annoying.
    >
    For example, everyone has their own tastes in music and movies. If they are played forever because "it's good music" or "it's a good movie," it is impossible not to feel uncomfortable.

Only those who want to see it can see it, and those who don't want to see it can hide it. This proposal of mine can perfectly meet the needs of both sides.

This is a great example to use. In music, sometimes there are dissonant sounds which are awful to some people, but beautiful to others. There's experimental music using werid sound effects that some people say is garbage, and other people find it amazing. Same with art, some people find beauty in strange clashing colors and jagged shapes, while other people insist thats fake art, and real art is only baroque and impressionist style paintings. Same for TV shows, and media entertainment in general. Its subjective, and no one's taste should override anyone elses. I truly love how this character looks and think the auras fit him very well.
  • Options
    > @h4forums said:
    > This is a great example to use. In music, sometimes there are dissonant sounds which are awful to some people, but beautiful to others. There's experimental music using werid sound effects that some people say is garbage, and other people find it amazing. Same with art, some people find beauty in strange clashing colors and jagged shapes, while other people insist thats fake art, and real art is only baroque and impressionist style paintings. Same for TV shows, and media entertainment in general. Its subjective, and no one's taste should override anyone elses. I truly love how this character looks and think the auras fit him very well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I like to listen to experimental music, like the work of Mille Plateaux and Force Inc in the early 2000s, or 12K for ambient, Raster-noton etc.

I really liked those kind of music. So I would play this stuff for other people and they would say, "This is just noise and it's going to give me a headache," or "A song without vocals is not music".
    It made me sad that no one understood me, but I realized that this was each person's taste and personality. Since then, I have never recommended any of this music to anyone, and have kept it to myself.
    I feel bad for those music.

I know this is off topic, but I wanted to talk about consideration for others. That's an extreme example, though.
    You are now spreading noise that only a tiny number of people can understand. No one is saying anything to you, so you assume that everyone understands and tolerates you. You have your own problems, but it is undoubtedly the game system that makes this possible.

If you've been reported enough to be banned, then far more people than I can imagine have been offended by you.
    As I said earlier, I did not report you. so I am not included in that count.
  • Options
    I know the character has been around a longish time. As stated, the many auras are newer. And, in my case, I find them very annoying and disruptive when you are at the same large group content as I.

The difference between my macros and your light show is, when asked, I don't do them. And I don't rely on others needing to put me on IGNORE, which I'm pretty sure some people do. I understand it when this happens.

The rest of your points are subjective. Of course, so is my complaint about being annoyed or disrupted by your character. However, TOS allows me submit a report if I feel that you are disrupting my gameplay. Same can be said for others reporting me for my macros. It would be up to the responding GM (not Dev, don't know why everyone thinks the Devs handle this) to make a decision.

I'd rather not have to get into a pissing contest. I'd prefer that you take it upon yourself to understand my concern about your light show DURING these large group content missions. Sure, show up all glowy and parade around for a bit. But, when it's time to get to the nitty gritty, turn it all off, please. Or tone it down a considerable amount.

Which, iirc at one or another Cosmic, sometimes your auras go away. Whether this is due to the encounter and the spaghetti code or you taking the other players' concerns into consideration, I don't know.​​

• Options
    Which, iirc at one or another Cosmic, sometimes your auras go away. Whether this is due to the encounter and the spaghetti code or you taking the other players' concerns into consideration, I don't know.​​

Perhaps there is a display limit to the aura. That's just a guess, though.
    My PC is spec'd well enough to run this game, but even so, the FPS drops significantly when a large crowd gathers during a Cosmic battle or event or something.
    The weird thing is that this number barely fluctuates whether I increase or decrease the graphics settings. On the other hand, there is no indication that the aura depiction is simplified no matter what settings are used.
  • Options
    They go away because the standard magnifier doesn't work in combat. IMHO this is working as intended because it lets me use my full display out of combat, and then not distract people during combat. I've started firing my powers at 100' to have it disable a bit further away, before closing the distance, out of consideration for others. Without the magnifier, its just a plain glowy aura that shouldn't be bothering anyone.

• Options
    However, TOS allows me submit a report if I feel that you are disrupting my gameplay. Same can be said for others reporting me for my macros. It would be up to the responding GM (not Dev, don't know why everyone thinks the Devs handle this) to make a decision.​​

I agree with this completely. Its fine to report disruptive gameplay and let the GMs decide on necessary changes. However, what I take issue with is people misrepresenting my magnifier and auras as "harassment" and proceeding to coordinate an abuse of the report system to cause bans.

I would like to mention that many of the runs I've taken this character on have run smoothly, because it contributes to the battle, and didn't actually disrupt anyone's gameplay once the battle starts. With this in mind, I do not believe it can be considered "disruptive".
  • Options
    GMs are only human. Even though they have guidelines to follow, I've seen anecdotal evidence of quite different handling of similar cases.

The Devs have opened the door on "disruptive" FX and auras already. Removing or toning down what can be seen on large and super-large bodies, usually NPCs.

Personally, I don't like the way your character bothers me visually. I'd like some way to tone you down or make you less bothersome to me, while still allowing you to see your full selection. I would appreciate the Devs tagging those, and probably several other, auras as Disruptive FX so that I can turn them off on my screen. I'd like them to do the same for Earthquake and some other powers, too.​​

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Honestly, the real problem is that there are several bugged auras that overscale (when your character gets bigger, the aura gets much much bigger).
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    I wonder if the devs would do anything if, say, 50 players stood around RenCen 24/7 with super magnifiers and large/loud auras going? Personally, I spend no time idling there, so this is really not an issue for me.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    The result of causing trouble for a lot of people was temporarily judged in the form of a ban, but apparently he hasn't learned anything at all.
    What can I say... He lacks a great deal of humanity.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/E0UjUIJ.png[/img]

GM was unbanned him immediately, but it is true that there were a certain number of Reports. This should not be forgotten and they should understand what is perceived as annoying about him.
  • Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    I don't care that he looks like that, that's fine, I do care that I can't click around him, and that he takes up the entire screen. So, I will say that I do want to be able to shut off super mag as part of the disable fx options.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    I actually thought this positioning avoided the clicking issue. I guess I have to be higher in the air then. Not really sure where the hitboxes overlap.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I actually thought this positioning avoided the clicking issue. I guess I have to be higher in the air then. Not really sure where the hitboxes overlap.
    All costumes with large wings have obnoxious hitboxes, so removing the wings from your costume would be a good start.
  • Options
    I like how the wings look though. In the meantime here is an example of higher elevation positioning so that hopefully people arent blocked from clicking the mission npcs or each other. I don't have a direct way of checking but I think for a normal sized toon, i would just be rays of light coming down unless they look up.

Ii4F4l7.jpg

I've also taken to voluntarily turning off the super magnifier pre-battle in open missions to alleviate some of the complaints. Hopefully these changes are sufficient since I really would rather not change my cosmetics.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    > @pantagruel01 said:
    > All costumes with large wings have obnoxious hitboxes, so removing the wings from your costume would be a good start.

> @h4forums said:
    > I like how the wings look though. In the meantime here is an example of higher elevation positioning so that hopefully people arent blocked from clicking the mission npcs or each other. I don't have a direct way of checking but I think for a normal sized toon, i would just be rays of light coming down unless they look up.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I've also taken to voluntarily turning off the super magnifier pre-battle in open missions to alleviate some of the complaints. Hopefully these changes are sufficient since I really would rather not change my cosmetics.

See, it is no longer pointless to ask him to improve, is it? He doesn't seem to understand what's wrong with him. He's pathologically self-centered and can only see his own world, so you can see that it's useless to say anything to him.

> @nbkxs said:
    > I don't care that he looks like that, that's fine, I do care that I can't click around him, and that he takes up the entire screen. So, I will say that I do want to be able to shut off super mag as part of the disable fx options.

Yes, that's right. In the first place, it makes no sense at all if only he improves and that is far from the original subject. I also overextended the topic, sorry for that.
    So, I'm done complaining about his appearance. In the most obvious example of annoyance combined with a dazzling aura and super mag, he stayed in the role until the end even though he was banned in the middle. Should I give him a labor of love?

I don't even know if dev is looking here, but I hope this suggestion of mine reaches them and they feel the need to do so.
    Post edited by drinkingchocs#2294 on
  • Options
    omega2764omega2764 Posts: 36 Arc User
    I'll take a flashy aura over the downright hostile disruptive players that plague the game any time.
  • Options
    rojan1987rojan1987 Posts: 37 Arc User
    if the people say the aura is to bright I must agree with them