test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

need a dev's insight

so i keep seeing people say they are going to miss CO. is this game getting shut down? I want to know before I invest in the premium pack or anything else.​​

Comments

• Options
    omega2764omega2764 Posts: 36 Arc User
    Some believe that Gearbox will shut down CO when they take over. I have seen similar comments on Neverwinter.

But we have no idea what will happen and could be they keep CO around, or not. Or something else.

Personal guess is that they will keep it around as its low maintenance and is still earning money.

Of all things Neverwinter and Star Trek are on shakier ground as both are external IPs and those are notoriously fickle. Moreso if the new owner has to re-negotiate the license payments on those IPs.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Any time there's a significant change at a game studio, you can expect the new owner to re-evaluate the existing products, so it's certainly a higher risk period than average, but the most likely outcome remains 'nothing of particular note'.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    *laughs in Lifetimer* For 12 years of GAEM ISH SHUTTIN DAOWN!

And here's an insight...
    So, I specifically asked yesterday if Champs was in any danger, and was told, "no," pretty emphatically. I have to say, "right now," because we can't ever make statements that could be interpreted as promises that something will never, ever happen, but as far as I know, Champs is going to be around for a while.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    I was thinking of buying some Zen during the sale, but think I'll wait until the dust settles a bit. I'll just cash in Q in the mean time.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    omega2764omega2764 Posts: 36 Arc User
    flyingfinn wrote: »

And here's an insight...
    So, I specifically asked yesterday if Champs was in any danger, and was told, "no," pretty emphatically. I have to say, "right now," because we can't ever make statements that could be interpreted as promises that something will never, ever happen, but as far as I know, Champs is going to be around for a while.

That is good.
    So that just leaves NW and STO. It is unlikely either IP holder would mess with the deal. Luckily Cryptic was not doing a Games Workshop IP. ow. I've been playtester and minor graphics for no less than two games that GW yanked the agreement out from under at the 11th hour. Then again both IP holders for NW and ST have been fickle in the past. So will be interesting to see where this goes.
  • Options
    rojan1987rojan1987 Posts: 37 Arc User
    omega2764 wrote: »
    flyingfinn wrote: »

And here's an insight...

That is good.
    So that just leaves NW and STO. It is unlikely either IP holder would mess with the deal. Luckily Cryptic was not doing a Games Workshop IP. ow. I've been playtester and minor graphics for no less than two games that GW yanked the agreement out from under at the 11th hour. Then again both IP holders for NW and ST have been fickle in the past. So will be interesting to see where this goes.

I do hope that STO won't be shut down cause I play STO and I like the game