test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How do you feel about Lemuria and Monster Island?

2»

Comments

• Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Monster Island is just strange. Unless there is an actual issue, why is anyone even there? In-game justification, I mean.
    UNTIL can watch the place from afar. They have technology for that. Satellites can keep watch from afar and a few robots/drones could wander/fly around and keep a watch on things from the ground, and then there could be a monitoring station on a nearby island and/or a ship off the coast and that would be better than what they have now.
    If they detect that Moreau or Viper or whoever are up to no good there then they call on us to help. Fine.

Robots could be damaged, of course, and it could be incidental, but, again, a drone or another robot could check that out. Tracking tags could be used to keep robots out of the general areas of the big monsters. Drones and satellites could still keep watch over those areas so if there is something happening it would be noticed. Not like Elder Worms or Viper or whoever wouldn't have their own problems with the cosmics if they tried to work out of their territory.

Arrange a deal with the manimals to stay off the island as long as the robots/drones are left alone.

When our "heroes" show up to fight Qwyjibo and Dino-Mom, we aren't the good guys in that scenario. Monster Island is their home and they are no threat to anyone except maybe some idiots that needlessly built a base there.

MI shouldn't even be a location in my opinion. It should be a number of disconnected mission maps.

I realize that they were/are working from the Champions sourcebooks, but they own the source now, so it could be whatever they want.

To clarify, Monster Island was little more than a passing reference in Champions PnP books before Cryptic Studios bought the IP. Although mostly extrapolated from precedents already in the lore, almost all details in the zone that you see in CO were added by Cryptic when they chose to develop it.

That said, there are things on MI that could be very dangerous to the world if they fell into the wrong hands. The giant monsters themselves are living weapons used in the past by other parties besides the Qularr. The Qularr technology left on the island is highly advanced and worth studying, and guarding. Andrithal and Echinocos Shore are repositories for perilous secrets of ancient magic. Dr. Demogaard's experiments could add biological weapons to VIPER's arsenal. While Dr. Moreau is creating sapient beings for use as slaves and cannon fodder, and for sport by ARGENT; worth stopping for humanitarian reasons if nothing else.
    Post edited by bulgarex on
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    bulgarex wrote: »
    Monster Island is just strange. Unless there is an actual issue, why is anyone even there? In-game justification, I mean.
    UNTIL can watch the place from afar. They have technology for that. Satellites can keep watch from afar and a few robots/drones could wander/fly around and keep a watch on things from the ground, and then there could be a monitoring station on a nearby island and/or a ship off the coast and that would be better than what they have now.
    If they detect that Moreau or Viper or whoever are up to no good there then they call on us to help. Fine.

Robots could be damaged, of course, and it could be incidental, but, again, a drone or another robot could check that out. Tracking tags could be used to keep robots out of the general areas of the big monsters. Drones and satellites could still keep watch over those areas so if there is something happening it would be noticed. Not like Elder Worms or Viper or whoever wouldn't have their own problems with the cosmics if they tried to work out of their territory.

Arrange a deal with the manimals to stay off the island as long as the robots/drones are left alone.

When our "heroes" show up to fight Qwyjibo and Dino-Mom, we aren't the good guys in that scenario. Monster Island is their home and they are no threat to anyone except maybe some idiots that needlessly built a base there.

MI shouldn't even be a location in my opinion. It should be a number of disconnected mission maps.

I realize that they were/are working from the Champions sourcebooks, but they own the source now, so it could be whatever they want.

To clarify, Monster Island was little more than a passing reference in Champions PnP books before Cryptic Studios bought the IP. Although mostly extrapolated from precedents already in the lore, almost all details in the zone that you see in CO were added by Cryptic when they chose to develop it.

That said, there are things on MI that could be very dangerous to the world if they fell into the wrong hands. The giant monsters themselves are living weapons used in the past by other parties besides the Qularr. The Qularr technology left on the island is highly advanced and worth studying, and guarding. Andrithal and Echinocos Shore are repositories for perilous secrets of ancient magic. Dr. Demogaard's experiments could add biological weapons to VIPER's arsenal. While Dr. Moreau is creating sapient beings for use as slaves and cannon fodder, and for sport by ARGENT; worth stopping for humanitarian reasons if nothing else.

But none of that is more secure because there is an UNTIL base over here, a few agents over there, and a handful more spread out in all sorts of strange places.

All of it could be watched remotely with UNTIL keeping strike teams on a nearby ship, island, and/or undersea base.

Something happening? Send in the team and call for super-heroic back-up. In the meantime, no UNTIL personnel are in danger of being stomped by a giant monster that is just wandering around minding it's own business.

I am in no way saying that there shouldn't be MI missions. I am saying that the way it was designed is just not smart given the technology available in this universe.

Send us in to stop some big Lemurian plot? Fine.
    Viper sent a team to the island? We'll handle it.
    If Argent being on the island presents a threat then UNTIL could absolutely end any permanent presence they have there and we heroes could help.

But Manimals? It's their island. They also don't feel like a high-level threat to me...

=============

"What's your story, hero?"

'I pieced together a bio-tech armored suit using reverse-engineered Qulaar tech. It has served me well against Dr. Destroyer and Mechanon, and as I have grown in experience the suit itself has developed new abilities, as if it is learning along with me.'

"Wow. That's amazing."

'Thanks. How about you?'

"Oh, I found this ancient sword when on an archaeological expedition and when I touched it I gained the powers of the ancient god Ares. Superior fighting skills, super strength, invulnerability, that sort of thing. It came in handy when I found myself face-to-face with Firewing.'

'Impressive. Nice to have you on my side. We'll need to... OH NO! LOOK OUT! A RAT MAN!'

=============

Yeah. Just not feeling it.

And the giant monsters? Fighting them is not heroic. They are not even portrayed as being a threat to anyone.

Kigatilik is a demon god that wants to freeze the world. Qwyjibo and Dinomom are big animals that want to walk around their territory.

There is a clear difference there.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    But you've given up on this game, so it's not super clear why the interest in MI?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    But none of that is more secure because there is an UNTIL base over here, a few agents over there, and a handful more spread out in all sorts of strange places.

All of it could be watched remotely with UNTIL keeping strike teams on a nearby ship, island, and/or undersea base.

Something happening? Send in the team and call for super-heroic back-up. In the meantime, no UNTIL personnel are in danger of being stomped by a giant monster that is just wandering around minding it's own business.

I am in no way saying that there shouldn't be MI missions. I am saying that the way it was designed is just not smart given the technology available in this universe.

Send us in to stop some big Lemurian plot? Fine.
    Viper sent a team to the island? We'll handle it.
    If Argent being on the island presents a threat then UNTIL could absolutely end any permanent presence they have there and we heroes could help.

But Manimals? It's their island. They also don't feel like a high-level threat to me...

=============

"What's your story, hero?"

'I pieced together a bio-tech armored suit using reverse-engineered Qulaar tech. It has served me well against Dr. Destroyer and Mechanon, and as I have grown in experience the suit itself has developed new abilities, as if it is learning along with me.'

"Wow. That's amazing."

'Thanks. How about you?'

"Oh, I found this ancient sword when on an archaeological expedition and when I touched it I gained the powers of the ancient god Ares. Superior fighting skills, super strength, invulnerability, that sort of thing. It came in handy when I found myself face-to-face with Firewing.'

'Impressive. Nice to have you on my side. We'll need to... OH NO! LOOK OUT! A RAT MAN!'

=============

Yeah. Just not feeling it.

And the giant monsters? Fighting them is not heroic. They are not even portrayed as being a threat to anyone.

Kigatilik is a demon god that wants to freeze the world. Qwyjibo and Dinomom are big animals that want to walk around their territory.

There is a clear difference there.

For my part, overall I don't disagree with you. To be honest, I tend to think of CO as the red-headed stepchild of the PnP Champions Universe. Some of the former just doesn't make as much sense as the latter.

In that vein, the giant monsters as presented in CO are rather small and feeble compared to their PnP analogues, which have devastated whole cities. They were designed by the Qularr to be aggressive and territorial. Even after the Qularr defeat some have managed to escape and go on rampages, only stopped by coordinated action between the military and multiple superheroes.

As for the Manimals, MI isn't "their" island. Almost all those living there were created by Dr. Moreau to be his slaves. The Manimals in the Feral Tangle are escapees, still being hunted for recapture by Moreau's VIPER allies, or for sport by ARGENT's wealthy clients. Father Elk was the leader of the first generation of Manimals, born at Moreau's original lab on Beast Mountain in the Ukraine. He came to Monster Island to try to help free the new beast-men from Moreau's control.
  • Options
    piontest#9391 piontest Posts: 44 Arc User
    bulgarex wrote: »
    For my part, overall I don't disagree with you. To be honest, I tend to think of CO as the red-headed stepchild of the PnP Champions Universe. Some of the former just doesn't make as much sense as the latter.

In that vein, the giant monsters as presented in CO are rather small and feeble compared to their PnP analogues, which have devastated whole cities. They were designed by the Qularr to be aggressive and territorial. Even after the Qularr defeat some have managed to escape and go on rampages, only stopped by coordinated action between the military and multiple superheroes.

As for the Manimals, MI isn't "their" island. Almost all those living there were created by Dr. Moreau to be his slaves. The Manimals in the Feral Tangle are escapees, still being hunted for recapture by Moreau's VIPER allies, or for sport by ARGENT's wealthy clients. Father Elk was the leader of the first generation of Manimals, born at Moreau's original lab on Beast Mountain in the Ukraine. He came to Monster Island to try to help free the new beast-men from Moreau's control.

This stuff is fascinating. It's too bad more of this stuff isn't in the game proper.
  • Options
    revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    My ongoing issue with MI & Lemuria is that too many of my Urban Crimefighters end up having to go there. There's no in-town mission content between Dr. Silverback and Vibora Bay. So unless I want to do roughly seven levels worth of alerts, I'm stuck. Spider-Man and Nightwing get one-off stories in exotic locales like these, but not a full year run.
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • Options
    piontest#9391 piontest Posts: 44 Arc User
    My ongoing issue with MI & Lemuria is that too many of my Urban Crimefighters end up having to go there. There's no in-town mission content between Dr. Silverback and Vibora Bay. So unless I want to do roughly seven levels worth of alerts, I'm stuck. Spider-Man and Nightwing get one-off stories in exotic locales like these, but not a full year run.

Agreed. Most zones are HEAVILY under utilized. I have no idea what's on the east side of MC beyond Destroyer's factory. And I don't remember ANYTHING from Vibora except some spooky mansion somewhere, even though it's my favorite looking zone by far.