test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gloves of the Sniper???

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited November 2019 in Items and Crafting
So someone asked me how Gloves of the Sniper worked and rather than try to remember what I knew about it a year ago I decided to go into the powerhouse and test them. I'm more confused now than when I started the test.

Following are the bonus damage amounts I saw:

Tapped Defile: 4%
Charged Defile: 3.7%
TK Assault: 8.5%
Lash, 1st attack: 10.1%
Lash, 2nd attack: 9.6%
Lash, 3rd attack: 7.7%
Vicious Cyclone: 7%
Venomous Breath: Didn't proc it at all
Life Essence w/ damage advantage: Didn't proc it at all
Curse: 9.6%
Will-o-Wisp: Didn't proc it at all
Charged Condemn: 7.5%
Tapped Condemn: 8.4%

Activation Times:
Condemn 0.83
Defile 0.67
Lash 0.5/0.5/1
Everything else 0.5
Curse 1
Will-o-Wispe 0.5

Charge Times:
Defile 1.83
Condemn 1.67

It says it scales with activation and charge times, but if it does it appears to do so in an inverse fashion; i.e. charing makes the damage bonus smaller. It also says it scales with activation time but in that regard the bonuses are all over the place. I didn't note any change at different distances beyond the minimum distance required to proc it at all.

So uh... the way that Gloves of the Sniper works is.... 0_0 *blank stare*

EDIT: someone said a thing so I checked what happens to the damage bonus if I rank up TK Assault to rank 3. The bonus damage went down to 5.6%. So... the more base damage an attack does, the less bonus it gets????????

Comments

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The damage proc from sniper gloves is not based on the damage of the base power, it's just a constant multiplied by the activation time of the power (and your ranged physical damage bonus, I believe).
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    The damage proc from sniper gloves is not based on the damage of the base power, it's just a constant multiplied by the activation time of the power (and your ranged physical damage bonus, I believe).

If this is true, then shouldn't the results be a lot more consistent than they are? After I did these someone else started testing the gloves on PTS and got similarly wacky all-over-the-place results.

Also if they're not based on the damage of the base power, then why did the result change when I ranked up the power I was using? Other person saw the same phenomenon.
  • Options
    spinnytop wrote: »

If this is true, then shouldn't the results be a lot more consistent than they are?
    No, because you're looking at the wrong numbers. Instead of looking at the percent increase, look at the absolute number.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

If this is true, then shouldn't the results be a lot more consistent than they are?
    No, because you're looking at the wrong numbers. Instead of looking at the percent increase, look at the absolute number.

I'm looking at the percents because that's what tells you if the gloves are even worth using. Makes sense now though why they're all over, the gloves don't work like the Slicers.
  • Options
    I'm looking at the percents because that's what tells you if the gloves are even worth using. Makes sense now though why they're all over, the gloves don't work like the Slicers.
    Ah... yes, they don't. Pretty sure whether they're worth using depends how much crit you already have but haven't made a real serious effort to compare.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Tested and it lines up with what you said, times give more or less consistent amounts.

Without Form

Full charge Defile: 182
    Tap Defile: 56

Curse: 73
    Lash: 36/36/73

Full Charge Condemn: 182
    Tap Condemn: 75

With Form
    Full Charge Defile: 332
    Tap Defile: 89

Curse: 133
    Lash: 66/66/133

Full Charge Condemn: 332
    Tap Condemn: 110

So with 25% form damage bonus:
    0.5 = 66
    0.67 = 89
    0.83 = 110
    2.5 = 332

So that's the long and short of that. None of this is really useful though, what's useful is the percentages above which show that on average, with nuke powers that you would typically use in a rotation, the damage increase from using sniper gloves is going to be between 4-5%. Caveat being that with PA powers, the internal CD makes it less than that as a percentage of all 3 maintains.

What's interesting is that this means that Sniper Gloves are better for lower damage powers that wouldn't normally be used as nukes, since they get the same damage bonus as a nuke would. So that's one thing they have that Slicer's don't. I guess u3u
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    the character I actually use them on spams stuff like soul beam and other maintains.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    I have them on all of my ranged characters, but I banked them, it's too difficult to judge how far away to stand to get the bonus. The fang of wrath is a much more consistent, reliable piece to put in this slot.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    qawsadaqawsada Posts: 739 Arc User
    nbkxs wrote: »
    I have them on all of my ranged characters, but I banked them, it's too difficult to judge how far away to stand to get the bonus. The fang of wrath is a much more consistent, reliable piece to put in this slot.
    I have to agree with this. In cosmic fight, any range above 50ft also means that you're not getting an aura. That and most of the fight in Kiga and Ape are in close proximity when it comes to range attack. Outside cosmic, if there is no tanks around, chances are, you are going to get aggro and those bosses or enemies will just close in on you, messing up the Sniper Glove's advantage.