test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

AoED getting lots of threat again?

kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
I know that the AoED power's extra crit damage (the Ebon Lightning strikes) used to count threat to the AoED user, and that this was changed a while back to have that threat count to the attacker who triggered the damage.

I suspect something recently reverted that change. Last night when I was playing my pet master build (who has AoED), I was aggro-ing threat from the whole room full of baddies the moment I stepped into the room after teammates already started the fight. I didn't even fire off a healing or damaging power and a dozen mobs were dog-piling me.

Can somebody verify that something did indeed change and that it's not just my imagination?​​
100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    Was it STE? I'm pretty sure sentinel aura alone will get you killed almost instantly in there. If it wasn't STE, then that sounds pretty weird.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    No, it was Nemcon that I especially had trouble with. However, I think I've noticed it elsewhere too. I'll try some other things and see how it feels.​​

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Just ran STE with AoED and didn't notice any unusual amounts of threat. I was doing the consoles for the turrets and NPCs largely left me alone. Do you have Sentinal Aura? The constant aoe healing from that tends to get aggro from a bunch of stuff.
    I tried AoED without Sentinel Aura, and my aggro seemed normal, too. I didn't have pets, though. I think I have another AoED build with pets, but I don't remember if it has Sentinel Aura. I'll try to remember to check later.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Maybe it is Sentinal Aura then. Though I don't recall it drawing that much threat before either.​​

I've seen it cause trouble even in grabs, but it's usually not noticeable unless your teammates can't fight their way out of a paper bag. Nemcon and STE both have rooms with dozens of mobs that are all aggressive from the start, which is extremely rare. If they weren't in a combat state, they would probably leave healers alone.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The thing about healing aggro is that it isn't that much in absolute terms, but it hits all enemies, and any threat is more than none, so all unengaged enemies home in on the healer.
    That doesn't explain what is "activating" them, though. You don't normally aggro an entire map with healing. Groups that haven't been engaged at all stay passive. In Nemcon, npcs activate them in that first room, and in alerts, you might have a pet or player pull an extra group or two. In STE, it's harder to figure out what's causing it.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    That doesn't explain what is "activating" them, though. You don't normally aggro an entire map with healing. Groups that haven't been engaged at all stay passive. In Nemcon, npcs activate them in that first room, and in alerts, you might have a pet or player pull an extra group or two. In STE, it's harder to figure out what's causing it.
    My impression of how StE works is that in part 1 there are four sets of mobs (one in each corner) that are grouped for aggro purposes (hitting any of them activates them all), but not for respawn purposes (they can respawn even if some members are still alive). This tends to result in a continuous chain of incoming mobs as they respawn before their engaged members have been totally wiped out.
    I thought they weren't wiping threat when they died, but what you are saying seems more plausible.

My AoED pet build turned out to be in retcon limbo, so I guess I can't test that against Sentinel Aura.