test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

High Noon 2019 was a huge letdown

As the title suggests this year's High Noon event was a major disappointment and now i'm gonna QQ all about it on the forum. Let's compare the rewards to previous years.

For February 2017, the event store featured: Gunslinger Archetype, ASCII's Precision Mod, Iron Horse Grav Bike, Military Pose Emote, Revolver Weapon Skin Unlock, Branding Iron Device, Yodel Device, Whistling Aura, Quicksilver Aura.

Then in August 2017 the event store featured: Mecha Horse Head, Steampunk Hat, Steampunk Pistol, Steampunk Belt, Steampunk Holsters, Titanium Horse.

February 2018 the event store featured: Fingerless Gloves, Card Sleeve, Tech Eye, Eye Patch, Neckerchief, and the ankle knife accessory.

November 2018 the event store featured: Steampunk Mask, Gear Sword.

Then for this year, the event store featured: Rustbucket Helmet, Undercut Hair, Dino Maw Helmet.

Now obviously the devs are gonna have a preference when it comes to new costume pieces, such as all the new animal heads made to appeal to the furries of CO (and the Casual Sweater with a hole in the back specifically for tails) and even though I don't have proof i'm pretty sure making the Harajuku emotes available to male heroes was done specifically to appease to them as well. The cycle of new costume sets seems to go tech/fantasy/furry, tech/fantasy/furry. Some pieces even blend those genres as evident with the Dino Maw Helmet.

I get that the primary villains we face in High Noon are cowboy robots, but the devs are entirely too fixated on tech costume pieces. Blockbuster, Cybernetic, Alien Armor, Corrosive.. High Noon is supposed to be tailored toward the Western genre but now it's being adulterated as yet another tech genre offshoot. Swords and robot helmets aren't what people picture when you talk about a spaghetti Western film. Even costume sets with a Western theme are being hijacked by technology! (the Cyber Cowboy costume set) We face Mechanon in a specific mission in space to unlock a perk for his costume pieces, we fight Mechanon Liberators in Millennium City park for a chance to receive more robot costume drops, and we battle a Mechanon a third time doing the High Noon event in Snake Gulch. We were earning Snakebucks to unlock regular costume pieces, but now it's even more TECH TECH TECH! Ya think we could get a break from robots for once?

This displeases me because High Noon is the only event what appeals to me personally. Dark Tower and Red Dead Redemption 2 came out a while back and the devs completely failed to capitalize on the popularity they brought by creating similar content for us in CO. As you can see above, the rewards have been getting increasingly fewer and leaning more toward technology. When you think about a Western movie, what cliches do you immediately think of? A sombrero, poncho, cigarillo, maracas, tumbleweeds, and revolver fanning pistol shootouts yes?

268x0w.png

Well sorry to disappoint, but we can't create our favorite Sergio Leone homage in CO because the costume pieces don't exist. If you ask me, this seems like a tremendous oversight. There are decades of spaghetti Western films out there to choose from but for some unexplained reason, the devs decide to focus on the Steampunk genre to draw their inspiration. There's even a perfectly good duel-pose attack that ASCII Oakley and robots use that we don't even have access to. WHY? The hard work of animating a new power is already done, let us have it as an unlockable power! You could put it in the Recognition vendor store and it'd be a perfect fit for this yearly event.

I've made two High Noon event idea posts so far, the most recent being: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/discussion/1212281/high-noon-2019

Sadly, the devs have stated they can't/won't look at our ideas unless players are specifically asked to send them in, such as during a contest. Unfortunately based on my poll to request a new lockbox/costume set contest, players are vehemently opposed to the idea due to the last one not going exactly the way they hoped. So i'm forced to sit back and watch my most favoritest event in CO trundle in the wrong direction with no way to have my voice heard by anybody who could make these suggestions a reality.

In conclusion, I am completely dejected that my birthday event was such a letdown. People were saying the Halloween event was disappointing but to me High Noon 2019 can be summarized as the 20 second raspberry noise a balloon makes when you let the air out of it.

OB8Y9kH.gif

Comments

• Options
    bringmeaslabbringmeaslab Posts: 187 Arc User
    Well, you got tumbleweeds, at least.
  • Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    Who cares? Less stuff to grind. If you don't want the stuff from the shop, don't play it?
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Considering I pretty much slept through it this time around, I'm glad there wasn't anything good. ;)
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    I do agree that more USA southwest type costume pieces belong in this event store.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    High Noon has never had rewards that interested me, so I guess I have an even worse version of your problem since it's also mechanically my favorite event. I still do it for fun now and then.​​
  • Options
    nbkxs wrote: »
    Who cares? Less stuff to grind. If you don't want the stuff from the shop, don't play it?

Somebody didn't read the post. I already have max 800 Snakebucks on many toons but don't have anything to buy that isn't more robot pieces. I didn't even do the event last month since I was capped on event currency.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Solution is to level up another half a dozen characters ;) Then you can cap them at max currency too.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    lan#8253 lan Posts: 34 Arc User
    For some reason, I stopped getting Snake Bucks for most the missions the last week or so. Not sure why.

But there was nothing I wanted to buy with them anyway.
  • Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Well, that's life. Disappointment is a constant thing.
    And Steampunk theme is really played out.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Well Spanish and Native American themes haven’t been yet.....ya know....they could try to do actual western stuff
  • Options
    lan#8253 lan Posts: 34 Arc User
    Mexican/Central/South American stuff would be cool.

Chihuahua AFs! ♥ Yo quiero!

Ponchos, Sombreros, Charro suits, Sarapes, Huipils, ... those skirts the women dance in and those pointy boots whatever they're called. Oooo...

Macuahitl axes! (a flat, bat-length paddle with blades inlaid along the edges)

Flying Llama cycles! :)
  • Options
    lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    Tech Fantasy Furry is an awesome SG name doe. calling dibs for it next time I log in!​​