'Nuff said.

CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
And playing by myself since Aug 2009
Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Wait! We need to crank up the CGI and boost the edginess of the costume. Practical?? What? You mean rave intensity hero!

Like I haven’t been able to watch Titans but man....those costumes are fantastic. Same for most of the new WB shows. DC needs to learn from themselves...like they just don’t get what they are doing.

How can you make awesome costume design on TV and fail so hard on movies.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    Wait! We need to crank up the CGI and boost the edginess of the costume. Practical?? What? You mean rave intensity hero!

Like I haven’t been able to watch Titans but man....those costumes are fantastic. Same for most of the new WB shows. DC needs to learn from themselves...like they just don’t get what they are doing.

How can you make awesome costume design on TV and fail so hard on movies.

Movie producer mentality. They want that massive budget to be spent on spectacle, so the costume designers are given more money than they need and told that the supersuits have to look expensive. And that’s how you get The Flash in a suit of “armor”, covered in fiddly bits that serve no purpose except to increase aerodynamic drag.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    Rob Zombie said it best he told his people he was giving them a small budget because it forced them to be creative
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    He actually looked so awesome, they brought him back to "Elseworlds" crossover...
    arrowverse-elseworlds-john-wesley-shipp-the-flash-1144544-1280x0.jpeg

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    How does the flash stay dressed anyways. Shouldn't all his clothes get torn off any time he goes super fast? Or is this one of those "actually his super speed is magical, so no" kind of things?​​
    I could answer that, but it's all in the comicbooks. You should read more, so asking silly questions wouldn't take so much of your time.
    :#
    edited December 2018
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    I could answer that, but it's all in the comicbooks. You should read more, so asking silly questions wouldn't take so much of your time.
    :#

But reading the comics would take more time than me asking the question and you answering it.

Also DC is boring when it's not Batman. "run fast man" is a lazy character with a dumb costume.​​
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Okay, Mr. Hard of Thinking, we'll dumb this down for you so you don't have to "waste your time" reading superhero comics in order to answer a question about a superhero on this here superhero-MMO message board.

The Flash doesn't just "run fast" - what he does, is he taps into one of the fundamental forces underlying the DC universe, the Speed Force. It basically "shifts" him into an entire new way of moving and perceiving reality, at a much higher speed than is usual. He isn't "moving fast", he's moving through the Speed Force, so things like inertia and wind resistance aren't factors for him. That's why, when the Brothers pitted the worlds against each other in the Amalgam storyline, the Flash easily defeated Quicksilver in a foot race - Quicksilver projects a force field that protects him, but still runs through normal space and is limited to about the speed of sound, while the Flash uses the Speed Force and can run at near the speed of light without worrying about relativistic effects or Cherenkov radiation.

As a side effect, the Flash has several ancillary powers (that means powers that are implied by his main ability, rather than being separate powers of their own, so you're spared having to work really hard by using a dictionary). Among them, he can detect the basic vibrational frequency of matter, then align his body's own vibrational frequency so as to slip the molecules of his body through the empty spaces between the molecules of, say, a wall. (Obviously, this doesn't work on all substances, but it's fine for dealing with such common construction materials as concrete or brick.) He can also generate small-scale local atmospheric disturbances, what he thinks of as "mini-tornadoes", by moving his arms quickly enough; this isn't enough to use as a main attack, but can be used to, for example, cushion someone's fall from a height.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited December 2018
    Right the Speed Force, that's the thing I heard about. So basically magic u3u

PS - no reason to be so butthurt just cause I don't like The Speed. He's a lame hero and I'm right to not care.​​
    But enough to comment, got to hit them post goals
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Next, Spinny will be saying that DC needs a Magickal Kat Gurl.
    (besides Catwoman)

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    Next, Spinny will be saying that DC needs a Magickal Kat Gurl.
    (besides Catwoman)

Everything needs a magical cat girl. Bat Man is close enough tho.​​
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    > @spinnytop said:
    > How does the flash stay dressed anyways. Shouldn't all his clothes get torn off any time he goes super fast? Or is this one of those "actually his super speed is magical, so no" kind of things?​​

If you're going to apply "realism" to comic books then realistically tights-wearing superheroes and supervillains in general should end up butt-naked at the end of a fight, since realistically clothing isn't going to withstand getting hit by all those superpower attacks.

If you think speedster-type heroes are lame, that's fine. The reasoning you're using to justify that opinion though is pretty ridiculous.
    edited December 2018
    jennymachx wrote: »
    If you're going to apply "realism" to comic books then realistically tights-wearing superheroes and supervillains in general should end up butt-naked at the end of a fight, since realistically clothing isn't going to withstand getting hit by all those superpower attacks.

Well no because quite often there are explanations for why their clothing can take the rigors of battle. Quite often when there isn't, their clothing does in fact get ( tastefully ) torn apart during combat. Comic books in general are actually pretty good about this. Maybe not when they started, but over time I saw explanations popping up. Also there's quite a few heroes who don't actually get hit much, so that's why their clothing stays in okay shape. It is generally understood however that heroes has reinforced clothing - they're not running around in actual plain-as-day spandex. That would just be silly and wouldn't make sense at all!
    If you think speedster-type heroes are lame, that's fine. The reasoning you're using to justify that opinion though is pretty ridiculous.

Well Jenny, since you like to make mention of this when it happens, I will go ahead and point out that you're putting words in my mouth now. The Flash isn't the only speedster in all of comics.​​
    edited December 2018
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Well no because quite often there are explanations for why their clothing can take the rigors of battle. Quite often when there isn't, their clothing does in fact get ( tastefully ) torn apart during combat. Comic books in general are actually pretty good about this. Maybe not when they started, but over time I saw explanations popping up. Also there's quite a few heroes who don't actually get hit much, so that's why their clothing stays in okay shape. It is generally understood however that heroes has reinforced clothing - they're not running around in actual plain-as-day spandex. That would just be silly and wouldn't make sense at all!

That seems pretty selective and arbitary. We are talking about comic book superheroes and the suspension of disbelief that comes with those right? Super-duper resilient materials can be made into a thin layered body-hugging costume that can withstand direct contact with things like extremely hot laser beams and penetrating lightning, but somehow it's silly when similar fantasy materials are used to withstand the rigors of running super-duper fast. Okay then?
    Well Jenny, since you like to make mention of this when it happens, I will go ahead and point out that you're putting words in my mouth now. The Flash isn't the only speedster in all of comics.​​

The more well-known Speedsters from comic mediums other than DC seem to use The Flash as a blueprint, and that includes wearing of tight costumes that should tear under real world circumstances.

I guess The Flash is the only one that looks dumb to you? That's fine, I take back the generalization. I just find the whole "clothing should tear apart from running super fast" reasoning in a superhero world pretty absurd when real world rules don't always apply to that.

Post edited by jennymachx on
    edited December 2018
    but somehow it's silly when similar fantasy materials are used to withstand the rigors of running super-duper fast. Okay then?

Yet again, more words being put into my mouth here. I will remind you that spandex is not a fantasy material, it very much exists in our world, so me calling spandex silly does not qualify as me calling "similar fantasy materials" silly, when those fantasy materials are reinforced clothing that can withstand super powered attacks.
    I guess The Flash is the only one that looks dumb to you? That's fine, I take back the generalization.

That's fine, I know you're just making these false generalizations and putting words into my mouth because you want a fight. After all, it would be pretty silly to start an argument with someone for asking a question and not liking the flash, so you would have to fabricate something for the argument to actually be about. I'll keep pointing out that there's no argument to be had, feel free to take notice at any point.

Jon has an excuse for reacting the way he did. You've never mentioned anything like what he has though, so I can't say the same for you.
    edited December 2018
    Yet again, more words being put into my mouth here. I will remind you that spandex is not a fantasy material, it very much exists in our world, so me calling spandex silly does not qualify as me calling "similar fantasy materials" silly, when those fantasy materials are reinforced clothing that can withstand super powered attacks.

The kind of spandex The Flash wears is able to withstand not only the rigors of super speed but also super powered attacks, both in comic books and other mediums based off comic books. People who read comic books and watch shows like DCAU Justice League realize this easily from watching just a few episodes.

Pretty silly to compare the durability of real life spandex to the fictional type superheroes wear when said durability is and has always been shown to be a lot more resilient in comic books and those shows. You seem to like playing a superhero-themed MMO so I'm assuming you've at least explored some of those? You've acknowledged that "reinforced clothing" is a thing, so why can't this be applied to spandex, something that plenty of superheroes wear?

This isn't me putting words in your mouth. This is me telling you that you're missing the point and possibly being intentionally disingenuous like you so often do when making these sort of arguments.
    That's fine, I know you're just making these false generalizations and putting words into my mouth because you want a fight. After all, it would be pretty silly to start an argument with someone for asking a question and not liking the flash, so you would have to fabricate something for the argument to actually be about.

Yeah yeah, pot, kettle. The person who is a habitual instigator around these forums is saying that I want a fight? Give me a break.
    Pretty silly to compare the durability of real life spandex to the fictional type superheroes wear when said durability is and has always been shown to be a lot more resilient in comic books and those shows.

Since you missed it, I'll go ahead and point out that I already said that:
    It is generally understood however that heroes have reinforced clothing - they're not running around in actual plain-as-day spandex.

We're saying the same thing now... so, where's the argument?

Yeah yeah, pot, kettle. The person who is a habitual instigator around these forums is saying that I want a fight? Give me a break.

Well, I've pointed out that there's nothing to argue about and you're still trying to argue. That's just what the situation is. If you don't want a fight, stop trying to pick one? That would help to make it look less like you're instigating a fight.​​
    edited December 2018
    It is generally understood however that heroes have reinforced clothing - they're not running around in actual plain-as-day spandex.

We're saying the same thing now... so, where's the argument?

So you're acknowledging that it's generally understood that heroes have reinforced clothing and are not running in plain-as-day spandex (which in turn obviously means they don't get torn off easily), yet at the same time are saying that The Flash's clothing should get torn off every time he uses his super speed powers.

So does The Flash have reinforced clothing or is he exempt to this rule?

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Well, yes and no.

He wears the usual "I can get hit with a lightning bolt and all it'll do is knock me down, but it won't melt this so-called 'spandex' outfit" clothes. He's also protected from the effects of inertia and wind resistance by the Speed Force.

No superhero is wearing realistic clothing. That's why Superman isn't naked half the time, and why Bruce Banner's pants only rip at the bottom when he transforms.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited December 2018

Why are you asking me the question that I basically asked in the thread earlier? If I knew the answer I wouldn't be in here asking questions o3o makes sense don't it?​​
    Post edited by spinnytop on
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Well, yes and no.

He wears the usual "I can get hit with a lightning bolt and all it'll do is knock me down, but it won't melt this so-called 'spandex' outfit" clothes. He's also protected from the effects of inertia and wind resistance by the Speed Force.

No superhero is wearing realistic clothing. That's why Superman isn't naked half the time, and why Bruce Banner's pants only rip at the bottom when he transforms.
    Some comics actually say the Superman's outfit takes on his own durability somehow, just because he's wearing it.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited December 2018
    I think it was Byrne's reboot that introdiced "forcefield" around Supes. His tight outfit was surrounded by it but not his cape, since his cape got torn up, alot. And the costume was made of kryptonian fabric, which made it more durable, under the sun. Now he's wearing somekind of kryptonian battlearmor.