test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Poll: What does it take for a person to no longer be considered a new player?

As per the title, choose an option you think would work for what you think. Please share your thoughts on why you feel this way.

Poll: What does it take for a person to no longer be considered a new player? 41 votes

The character level determines it.
0%
The amount of time they put in determines it.
24%
yvonnedjonsillsthemightyzenithgradiispinnytopmarkhawkmanjonesing4kamokamidarqaura2waybig#9760 10 votes
Their skill level and ability to adapt and learn the game mechanics determines it.
31%
blazer2001lezard21wingedkagouticriswolf09sahadiamxchaosdrgnz43revanantmorituricptmassive1avianosthewinxfairymagpieuk2014gentlegiantvexxshredmonkey#6879 13 votes
There is no such thing as a new player. This is CO after all.
12%
jojenmaihemdraognchaelknarf#9213taidra220 5 votes
A combination of the above.
31%
gtw891morigosadeadman20soulforgernbkxsjasinblazetheravenforcewarcanchmuffinluv#1945shadowolf505cinderskyeserebusworldsflagpole#4268 13 votes

Comments

• Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    Personally for me, it takes a combination of time and skill. Though, there is a point that to much time overrides their lack of skill to determine if they are a new player or not. Typically, for me, the cut off is around 100 hours played if they are unskilled. If they are skilled, the cut off for me is around 20 hours.

I do not consider level, for a new player, once they get out of the tutorial, which can be done in less than an hour, could turn around and buy the level 30 boost package along with ten 1 level boosts and hit level 40 before their second hour even hits. They would not have learned much at this point and would still be a new player.
  • Options
    gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    Their skill level and ability to adapt and learn the game mechanics determines it.
    Until the player starts making their own builds and having their own ideas with their dedication of time and skill, can't consider 'em new anymore!​​
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Generally when you see people refer to a "new" player, it means that player has not grasped the basics of gameplay, and has not achieved a certain level of comfort with the game's controls and systems. Considering how simple the basics of CO's gameplay are, it would mean that players are no longer new within their first few hours of gameplay. At that point they then start to accrue knowledge and familiarity ( or not ) until they qualify as "experienced".

As for skill level, there are players who have been playing for years who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag and who balk at the simplest of instructions, needing hand holding on every little thing. They don't qualify as new. Character level sort of goes hand-in-hand with time put in since it takes time to level up, so naturally by the time you level to 40 you would no longer be new - level up packs are a special case in which a player bypasses this. I'm not sure how CO being CO would somehow cause the concept of newness to exist, the game isn't that special.​​
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    When they have found the forums and made their first complaint.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I'm not sure how CO being CO would somehow cause the concept of newness to exist, the game isn't that special.​​

That was more or less a sarcastic addition due to the few times I've seen people say that CO never gets new players.
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    When they have found the forums and made their first complaint.

Ha! Fair enough.
  • Options
    shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    Basically the last one for me because you can have skill from other games but not put in the same amount of time or something.
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • Options
    Basically the last one for me because you can have skill from other games but not put in the same amount of time or something.

Mm, the OP wasn't specific was it. New to video games? New to MMOs? New to CO? New to a certain part of CO? I assumed new to CO.​​
  • Options
    shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    It just mentions "the game" which would be CO but I mean, my statement still stands my take on it. CO is a few buttons anyways, the only thing you need to learn is the rotation (if doing endgame) or lore maybe. Not really much to learn honestly.
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    It just mentions "the game" which would be CO but I mean, my statement still stands my take on it. CO is a few buttons anyways, the only thing you need to learn is the rotation (if doing endgame) or lore maybe. Not really much to learn honestly.

Stats, skills, how mechanics of different powers interact with each other, good ways to level, good ways to earn resources, devices, vehicles, queues, teaming up, how/when/how long to BLOCK!, 80 different kinds of currency, where and when certain events happen, etc.

It's not the most complex game, but if you're really trying to make a powerful character and play it well, there's some research to be done.
  • Options

Mm, the OP wasn't specific was it. New to video games? New to MMOs? New to CO? New to a certain part of CO? I assumed new to CO.​​

Yeah, that is something I forgot to take in consideration. Technically, I am talking about being new to CO. But, this opens up a different type of question.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Yeah 'd say it's when they decide they want to learn how to play the game well.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    What kind of dumbass question is this? A new player is someone thats playing the game for the first time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    nepht wrote: »
    What kind of dumbass question is this? A new player is someone thats playing the game for the first time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The question is when they stop being a new player, not what is a new player o3o​​
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    New as in noob? When they understand the basic mechanics of targeting, blocking, aggro management, etc. When that happens... can be level 6, can be someone with multiple level 40s.
  • Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    I say it's a combination of skill, and time; when they complete one character in full gear + mods, and have a reasonable understanding of all 4 cosmic battles, and at least know about all of the other content IG; and have done at least one full rotation of all the custom alerts.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Day 2?
  • Options

As was pointed out, was not asking what makes a player new, but what does it take for a new player to not be considered new (to CO).
  • Options
    soulforger wrote: »

As was pointed out, was not asking what makes a player new, but what does it take for a new player to not be considered new (to CO).

The second time you load up CO as your no longer a new player. Because you've played it before.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    soulforger wrote: »

The second time you load up CO as your no longer a new player. Because you've played it before.

Ok, that works.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    It's about the amount of skills they developed to learn the game

They can spend 80-100 hours playing on Tailor and Roleplaying but knowing nothing about the basic battle mechanics and the power progression system, this makes them still newcomers for the Core system of the game​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    avianos wrote: »
    It's about the amount of skills they developed to learn the game

They can spend 80-100 hours playing on Tailor and Roleplaying but knowing nothing about the basic battle mechanics and the power progression system, this makes them still newcomers for the Core system of the game

If they spent 80-100 hours that means they made it through the tutorial, which means they've been exposed to the core systems of the game, meaning they're not new. Basically anyone who has made it through the tutorial is no longer new to the game.

One thing we can for sure can conclude from this thread is this: By the time they hit lvl 40, players have been "not new" for quite a while.​​
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    If they spent 80-100 hours that means they made it through the tutorial, which means they've been exposed to the core systems of the game, meaning they're not new. Basically anyone who has made it through the tutorial is no longer new to the game.

One thing we can for sure can conclude from this thread is this: By the time they hit lvl 40, players have been "not new" for quite a while.
    The CO's Tutorial is lackluster (doubt it will prepare them for the power progression in ATs and different battle tactics on bosses) and a new player can get to lvl 40 by getting carried in Alerts and only use Energy Builder ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    NO JOKE This happened​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    avianos wrote: »
    The CO's Tutorial is lackluster (doubt it will prepare them for the power progression in ATs and different battle tactics on bosses) and a new player can get to lvl 40 by getting carried in Alerts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They'll have learned everything they need in the tutorial to battle those bosses. Even if they are lucky enough to get carried through 100% of the Grabs they queue for, watching experienced players will teach them things as well ( especially watching me ).

When they hit 40 they might be new to endgame, but that's not what this poll was asking. By the time you hit 40, you could only be new to CO if you had someone else playing the game for you that whole time. I'm pretty sure you can't even buy level up packs before you finish the tutorial.​​
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I've seen new players do really well. Better than me.

I've also seen vets not do well. Including me.

I don't think either skill level or knowledge is a measure of how new a player is. And both new players and vets go through periods of time when they are better off by either increasing their knowledge or increasing their skill level via practice to apply that knowledge.

New player just means someone who has not played much. It doesn't mean that they don't know what to do or that they are not capable of doing it. Regardless of knowledge or skill level, I would say that after their 1st month in the game, a player is no longer new.
    Post edited by kamokami on
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    *looks at Spinnys' post count* ... 100 more than that.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    warcanch wrote: »
    *looks at Spinnys' post count* ... 100 more than that.​​
    *Spinny sneezes on Warcanch and accidentally knocks him through a mountain* :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    kamokami wrote: »
    I've seen new players do really well. Better than me.

I've also seen vets not do well. Including me.

I don't think either skill level or knowledge is a measure of how new a player is. And both new players and vets go through periods of time when they are better off by either increasing their knowledge or increasing their skill level via practice to apply that knowledge.

New player just means someone who has not played much. It doesn't mean that they don't know what to do or that they are not capable of doing it. Regardless of knowledge or skill level, I would say that after their 1st month in the game, a player is no longer new.

Quoting Boss Man for actual truth. A player should not be judge on length of time played. They shouldn't be judged full stop.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Quoting Boss Man for actual truth. A player should not be judge on length of time played. They shouldn't be judged full stop.

I'm judging you o3o
    hbpzUbq.jpg​​
  • Options
    waybig#9760 waybig Posts: 76 Arc User
    The more time you invest playing the more knowledge you gain, then the more comfortable you play, after some time they won't be considered as new player.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    What's "good" have to do with "new"? My roommate's been driving cars for over half his life, but the only place I'd be happy having him behind the wheel is going through a warzone (he kept his colonel alive in Iraq, after all).

If you've been playing for a while, you're not "new" any more. I'm not some guru of gameplay in CO, but I sure ain't "new" in any sense of the word... :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    The more time you invest playing the more knowledge you gain, then the more comfortable you play, after some time they won't be considered as new player.
    This is true, learning to tank takes practice and more importantly learning from your mistakes.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    There is no such thing as a new player. This is CO after all.

I'm judging you o3o
    hbpzUbq.jpg​​

No, going on that picture you judged yourself.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!