test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would you like to see the Enrage + Mini Drive nerf reverted?

lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
Starting last Tuesday's patch, these 2 powers no longer work together after almost 9 years of doing so.

If you have Giant Growth adv and a stack of Enrage on you, Mini Drive's Reciprocicating Gizmo won't trigger it's size FX.

The ability of increasing in size in combat is something that attracted a lot of players for their themed characters since it's almost an exclusively unique trait in CO, be it Antman homages, to giant beasts, to just wanting your nightmare inducing costume to stand out in the crowd.

As a player with multiple builds that used these powers, I understand the need of putting a cap to the size a toon can reach to prevent griefing. That is why I fully understand and approve that Magnifier no longer works with Mini Drive, Life Injector, Draysha or Giant Growth, and also that Mini Drive is no longer stackable.

However the size you could reach with Giant Growth + Mini Drive was below the size you can currently get with Magnifier.

Some people have speculated "something something spaghetti code" as the reason why these powers were made so they could no longer stack, yet no official word was given on the matter, nor word on an alternative to counterbalance this change, nor compensation in the form of a retcon for people who had these powers on their builds.

The alternative solution some players suggested is to make all current size effects to apply a global stack with a cap, with your size being dependent on the numbers of stacks; size changing to be a client sided effect; size changing effects to be additive instead of multiplicative, among others.

So the question and discussion of the topic is, would you like to see these changes reverted? Would you like to see them come back but in another way? If so, how?​​

Would you like to see the Enrage + Mini Drive nerf reverted? 50 votes

Yes, I'd like the changes reverted
34%
draognchaosdrgnz43oyo32rugrothrumborsarelfoxguyhumualkozmoz1smashykinsshadowolf505cinderskyesnacito#6758ironman12348waybig#9760pandoraslockboxgigabear#4407david#5102subesan#3467 17 votes
No, I don't want people to be able to grow in combat
42%
nique554jonsillspantagruel01ealford1985colonelwingdeadman20bringmeaslabsoulforgernbkxsrapierwhipcannotdenychialluspinnytopmettrekroughbearmattachkamokamipurin1pwestolemynamecptmassive1gansetseg 21 votes
No, I don't want the changes reverted but Yes, I would like for an alternative way to allow in combat growth
24%
cetas40themightyzenithlezard21revanantmorituriavianosxcelsior41violetnychusgentlegiantvexxdarqaura2mordray001alriidoom1400 12 votes

Comments

• Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    I'd be fine if Recip Gizmo was incompatible with Magnifier, but I'm real crossed that they made it incompatible with Giant Growth. I'm not asking for skyscraper-size, just the same size of Ripper during "The Viper's Nest" mission in Monster Island.(Practically OV-size)

Going big was one of the fun things to do in this game. I would like it to revert back, but I wouldn't mind if there truly is a better growth-in-combat underway.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Since I only have a few characters with Giant Growth and only 1 with a Magnifier, and never used any of the gimmicks/exploits mentioned in various threads, this is kind of a non-issue for me personally. If Kaiserin was willing to lay out in some detail the problems inherent in grow abilities and what actual negative impacts they have on the game I could make an informed vote. But so far she seems to want to stay mum about it.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    No, I don't want the changes reverted but Yes, I would like for an alternative way to allow in combat growth
    Find a workaround it's literally a non-issue. Why hate on growth if you can find a way for it not to be an issue anymore, i've never used growth, but if it can be made to be decent in combat then what's the issue?
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    andondarkmoreandondarkmore Posts: 671 Arc User
    I am of 2 minds on this.

1) Keep the new growth Restrictions and have a "combat presence" aura that works in combat set to grow to X Hight and ONLY X Hight.

2) Revert back but allow MINI driver ADV only one stack. New stacks would refresh duration of growth instead of increase size.

• Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    I can't stand giant characters in any content that positioning and visibility is compromised by them. Being a melee player, we already get the poo end of the stick in so many circumstances, and having someone decide to take up a big chunk of the tiny space melee get is uncool.

That said, if growth effects were nullified at cosmics and similar content, I'd have no problem with how big you are otherwise and would be fine with the proposed reversing of the changes.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    I think that powers-based *growth* in combat is unfair, even if it's purely aesthetic, as it prevents those nearby from also aesthetically enjoying the combat animations of their own characters.

Note that large characters could still be enabled in a fair manner if the tailor size options were expanded to include more height and width.

Outside of combat it doesn't matter. If someone can't see their toon because of a large character nearby then they can just move. But I'm guessing the OOC issues have more to do with performance issues that the devs are seeing in aggregate than anything that individual players are able to measure.

In terms of their silence on the matter, it can be as simple as not commenting on anything that can possibly crash or otherwise negatively affect the game for large groups of people. The risk of arming trolls with information might just be too great.

Either way, I don't feel so strongly on the matter that if the change was reversed I'd be dismayed.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I'm going to be honest, I always HATED the macro effects and found Macro players obnoxious due to the fact they caused me performance issues and blocked my screen during fights
    I tried to use it in my Ganon hommage character, didn't like it so I dropped it

HOWEVER I do not want to see it being remove because I understand that a big part of the community enjoys it (ALSO GIANT FREAKING ROBOTS)
    Perhaps a middle ground solution can be found for this

all this happened close to the release of Ant-Man and the Wasp, ironic​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    solhusetsolhuset Posts: 40 Arc User
    Though I personally dont mind giant characters that much (coming from someone that primarily plays melee) I'm well aware of how frustrating it can be for some players. So with that in mind I'm gonna have to go with a mix of what Biff and Kamo are saying. Nullify it in certain player-heavy content, maybe have the same abilities they use to shut off TP's do it. But increase the sliders a bit, Like, say, increasing the max height from 7.0 to 8.0 I feel would be more than fair.

So with that said I dont feel like theres any voting option that suits me. BigMcHuge wouldnt bother me in a smash alert or other trivial content like that.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    This is like Diablo, where the hero slays the demon and then takes that crystal and jams it into his forehead and just becomes the new demon. You know Diablo is somewhere laughing his butt off after that o3o​​
  • Options
    gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    I'd really rather have Growth be it's own segment in a might rework or something that's more than enrage.
    Otherwise, I'm pretty much retired from using my mains.

Constructively, I agree with Wartrain and Kamokami somewhat. Though how about removing Auras all together, since enlarge toons with the heavy auras (Besides maybe ghost or transparent auras) seem to be an issue?​​
  • Options
    Auras already tend to vanish at cosmics due to the VFX cap.​​
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    If "your" size/wings didn't negatively affect "my" targeting or Tab targeting ability, I wouldn't mind.

I already concede that I can't see my melee character very well at Cosmic fights and that has nothing to do with your size nor wingspan.

However, it does affect me during various >5 mob Alerts or Rampages or Events.

For me, if Targeting were fixed to react properly and NOT target the guy in front of me only after I've tabbed through everyone else in the area, then I have no problem with your size or wingspan.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    Then there should be a "Target allies in combat On/Off" option.
    That'd probably be more beneficial to strict DPSers with no Ally support.​​
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I voted with Spinny!? I take it back!!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    spinnytop wrote: »
    This is like Diablo, where the hero slays the demon and then takes that crystal and jams it into his forehead and just becomes the new demon.

Hey, if you provide me with a user pic I'd proudly use it.​​
    Post edited by lezard21 on
  • Options
    cannotdenycannotdeny Posts: 23 Arc User
    Nah, I can't see why you're against fixing a bug. I thought we were all on board with these type of changes!
    Plus, it's bad for targeting.
  • Options
    To the people that answered No: What would you think about a device like Magnifier that works in and out of combat which effect is client sided only? Kinda like how comic style lining can be toggled on and off and only you can see it, but in device form?​​
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    So pretty much you could be 100ft tall but only you see it?

I mean...if it doesn’t hurt the game, sure.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    cannotdeny wrote: »
    Nah, I can't see why you're against fixing a bug. I thought we were all on board with these type of changes!
    Plus, it's bad for targeting.

The thing is, we haven't even heard how this was a bug or how it was affecting the game performance.

With Wardicator fix, the server was recalculating the offense and defense values ad infinitum, which I can see the Magnifier + Shrinker stacking as a similar case if the game was doing something dumb like calculating your size by applying a % modifier on your current size. Surprise Attack was working despite the enemy being below 90% which the tooltip explicitly said it shouldn't.

I am and have always been in favor of bug fixes. But no official word has been given since the nerfs started.

I have never advocated against changes that may affect the customization or playstyle of other players however. When the changes to sub were first announced I voiced my concern on how this affected Gold subs, and proposed alternatives on how to make the transition more friendly.

Thus, I'm doing the same thing here.
    So pretty much you could be 100ft tall but only you see it?

I mean...if it doesn’t hurt the game, sure.

Yup multiple games use client sided effects, the most recent I can think of is TERA, where you can use a potion that makes you run around in undies but the rest of the game sees you wearing armor normally cause a lot of players are not to keen on the idea of seeing a borderline loli character on her underwear.​​
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    A client-side growth effect wouldn't bother me at all as long as it didn't affect me at all.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    lezard21 wrote: »
    The thing is, we haven't even heard how this was a bug or how it was affecting the game performance. ​​

Whether or not it affects game performance, some still find it annoying for their screen to be covered up by someone else's char. That by itself is enough of a reason to get rid of growth entirely.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    where is the "it's none of my concern" option?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I would probably be okay with growth at cosmics if wings and tails weren't part of hitboxes.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    To the people that answered No: What would you think about a device like Magnifier that works in and out of combat which effect is client sided only? Kinda like how comic style lining can be toggled on and off and only you can see it, but in device form?

Far as I care you can have a device that makes your head sproud a forest of mushrooms with leprechauns dancing on them so long as it doesn't get shoved in my face during combat.​​
    Post edited by spinnytop on
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    To the people that answered No: What would you think about a device like Magnifier that works in and out of combat which effect is client sided only? Kinda like how comic style lining can be toggled on and off and only you can see it, but in device form?​​
    Sure sounds great.
  • Options
    rapierwhiprapierwhip Posts: 125 Arc User
    As long as character collision is a thing in this game, growth needs to be minimized as much as possible if not removed entirely. I've run across enough... really struggling to find a polite word here... growth addicts that wind up blocking doorways, taking up way too much space at cosmics and other fights and such. This is one of the few games that has character collision active and it has caused issues since launch. (Anyone remember the jerks that would push people away from the tailors causing them to lose all the changes they had made to their costumes? Not to mention NPCs doing the same thing. Heck, NPCs in this game still push around PCs like The Rock could push around Steve Urkel.)

The Forumite formerly known as Galeforce.

If you want my money, there is a fairly simple way to get it since I am fairly free with how I spend it. First, produce something I consider to be worth buying. Second, offer it up for sale. Don't lock it behind a gambling scam. If I want something, I am perfectly happy to pay for it. But I will not purchase a CHANCE to get it, When I pay money, I have a perfectly logical right to expect to get what I want.
  • Options
    rapierwhip wrote: »
    As long as character collision is a thing in this game, growth needs to be minimized as much as possible if not removed entirely. I've run across enough... really struggling to find a polite word here... growth addicts that wind up blocking doorways, taking up way too much space at cosmics and other fights and such. This is one of the few games that has character collision active and it has caused issues since launch. (Anyone remember the jerks that would push people away from the tailors causing them to lose all the changes they had made to their costumes? Not to mention NPCs doing the same thing. Heck, NPCs in this game still push around PCs like The Rock could push around Steve Urkel.)

This is not true.

Artificial Life Injector and Draysha Gun do alter your hitbox as easily demonstrated in Cosmics like Dino. But those 2 have already been nerfed and are not the matter of discussion here.

Mini Drive and Giant Growth are purely cosmetic effect and do not increase your hitbox (they do alter your clickable box though). The best way anyone could have tested that is by going inside Vexx (I know it sounds naughty :3)

You can still push people away from Tailor and all over the place with either teleport powers or just by walking into them and pushing them with taps repeteadly, so size has nothing to do with these either.​​
  • Options
    There is however an issue with growth that only you can see. If you're standing there, and I fly up with one of my tiny girl characters and use the computer emote to poke you in the face on my screen, I'll be poking you somewhere on your screen that might shock you.​​
  • Options
    I have to say, I'm quite surprised not many want the change reverted. I'm certain that Giant Growth adv will be removed when Might revamp comes since 0pt adv weren't intended to begin with. I just hope it becomes an aura or device to compensate it.

Never realized majority in this game dislike giants. quite a shock for me.
    mfZ37eB.png
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    As of right now it's at 60% want in combat growth vs 40% that don't want it.

Of that 60%, 35% want it the way it was before, while 25% are willing to compromise and get it in another manner.

And some of the people that voted No later expressed they wouldn't mind it so long as it didn't affect them (ie. client sided magnifier) vOv​​
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I dont have too much of a problem with giant characters, tbh. I would rather like in combat size changes to be made powers.... Perhaps they would be less troublesome if they were AD/AO effects which overlayed the characters VFX, rather like OVs do.
  • Options
    A common reply I'm seeing is a lot of people are saying they couldn't see the Cosmics when giant growth + mini drive was being used.

Save special cases were people timed Mini Drive in order to stack it twice or more, toons were never big enough to obstruct Cosmics, even if 2 or more showed up.

I always do Cosmics at max camera distance though to keep an eye on the surroundings, so the only way I can think people were failing to see Cosmics animations and dieing due to giant toons would be if you played with your camera very up close...which can potentially bring other problems like failing to see Baby's AoEs/breath cone area, failing to see where hearts spawned, and failing to see tombs...

This does do some explaining...​​
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    I kinda don't want the growth to be only visible on client-side UNLESS during combat.

I like seeing you big critters otherwise.

It's when you affect my gameplay (targeting, mostly) that it's a bother.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    I have to ask. Don't people who want to grow to the size of a skyscraper want other people to see them? If no one else can see them won't that just nullify part of the reason they are doing it?

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    A common reply I'm seeing is a lot of people are saying they couldn't see the Cosmics when giant growth + mini drive was being used.

Save special cases were people timed Mini Drive in order to stack it twice or more, toons were never big enough to obstruct Cosmics, even if 2 or more showed up.

I always do Cosmics at max camera distance though to keep an eye on the surroundings, so the only way I can think people were failing to see Cosmics animations and dieing due to giant toons would be if you played with your camera very up close...which can potentially bring other problems like failing to see Baby's AoEs/breath cone area, failing to see where hearts spawned, and failing to see tombs...

This does do some explaining...

People tell you their issue with growth, you imply it either doesn't exist or if it does it's their fault. I'll get to work on that new avatar.

jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    I have to ask. Don't people who want to grow to the size of a skyscraper want other people to see them? If no one else can see them won't that just nullify part of the reason they are doing it?

I imagine for some yes, and for some no. I'm sure there are people who just do it for themselves cause they think it looks cool.​​
  • Options
    darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    If they can make it client-side only so be it. I don't think we lose anything if others can't see that giant sized effect.
  • Options
    revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    I'm going with "give us an alternative that works better with the game engine", with the caveat that if the devs aren't going to bother to do so, I'd rather see it reverted. I only have a couple "large" class characters, but I am annoyed that they are limited to "too large to access doors comfortably", and no longer"can skateboard on flatbed trailers".

(Minor quibble: I Am Cow, no matter what I do with the body sliders, is doomed to being shorter than Vexx, even with all growth effects turned off, based solely on her gender.)
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    I voted this way simply because I like superhero comic book stuff and size changing superheroes are fun.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    *Leans over from behind a building and looks over it at the crowd* o.3.o
    Even tho I haven't used this combo in a while and while I personally enjoyed the growth effect, would be nice to be able to stack it once on Giant Growth effect, otherwise another form of growth can be given, maybe Super Mag Giant Growth Aura idea I've mentioned a few times, so you can use it in and out of combat if that's not feasible or other alternatives that would be better optimized, well, guess we're stuck with the restrictions.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    I want a 0 point advantage on enrage that lets me shrink, so I can stack it with with other stuff that needs to be added so that people can see my awesome smallness.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    I want a 0 point advantage on enrage that lets me shrink, so I can stack it with with other stuff that needs to be added so that people can see my awesome smallness.

Shrinking with every stack of Enrage... beware the tiny squeaker. :D

mfZ37eB.png
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Mostly the problem is being unable to select things due to insane selection boxes in CO, but I have had situations with tells being obscured (btw, mega-destroid stomp device should die horribly).
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    I voted no because here's the thing, I don't want them to waste any more resources on the growth issue. There are a sheet-ton of things that need to be fixed that I would much rather have them spending time on. Every minute they have spent on this up to this point is a complete waste of time, stop farking wasting time on this nonsense.

Also, as pissed as all the giant-growers are that they can't get as big as they want in combat, I am equally pissed that I can't get as small as I want in combat. Actually, as far as I know, there are no shrink-self mechanics that work in combat. The difference is, I never bothered to complain about it because it was just an aesthetic issue for me, and I know that there are more important things to spend limited dev resources on. To be clear, you can still grow in combat, maybe just not as big as you want, but I still cannot shrink in combat at all. I think that if any size-change issue should be fixed, the shrinking issue should come way before the growth issue. But, still and all, both those issues should fall way behind the many other fixes and improvements needed.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    When being a tank at cosmics, or sometimes melee DPS, your view of the combat is obscured by giant toons, unless zooming way out. Even then, you sometimes can't actually see yourself "inside" of the giant toon. Carefully positioning can be important (avoiding tail slaps, winter winds, etc), and giant toons make it rough.

Some players, when asked, use toons with "smaller" costumes at Cosmics, to avoid this problem. Others have maxed-out sliders, wings/tails, and every possible way to grow, and can be kinda jerky when asked to tone it down.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User

You know, I did not think of something like that, but, that would be doable. I just do not think that would be easy to implement.
  • Options
    If the vixen stance for males becomes a thing, and some form of growth is added back in, will we see Vix-Vexx? ;)
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options
    kozmoz1kozmoz1 Posts: 5 Arc User
    I'd be fine if Recip Gizmo was incompatible with Magnifier, but I'm real crossed that they made it incompatible with Giant Growth. I'm not asking for skyscraper-size, just the same size of Ripper during "The Viper's Nest" mission in Monster Island.(Practically OV-size)

Going big was one of the fun things to do in this game. I would like it to revert back, but I wouldn't mind if there truly is a better growth-in-combat underway.

also the fix did not just stop the compound effect of using enrage with GG and Mini drive with RG. Now Mini drive with RG only triggers when using a single target power when you have a target locked. I don't care about the two power together i just want mini drive to work they way it use to. Stop fixing thing and checking to see if your fix complete breaks something else. BTW the last patch to stop the happy deaths didn't work.
  • Options
    spinnytop wrote: »

This does do some explaining...

People tell you their issue with growth, you imply it either doesn't exist or if it does it's their fault. I'll get to work on that new avatar.

Not saying it doesn't exist or that it's their fault, just saying that some people are exaggerating the issue a bit.​​
  • Options
    We're not exaggerating the issue, people were using in-game mechanics to exaggerate it right before our eyes o3o​​