test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

(UI MOCKUP DRAFT) Tailor Custom Palette Concept

bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
edited July 2018 in Suggestions Box
Hi I'd love it if we'd finally be able to change our costume's colors using a fully-modifiable color wheel. Here's my idea for a big color interface that'd let us choose whatever colors we want.

Q: Can the engine handle it?
If you look at one of your costume save files, not by using an image editor, but instead through notepad, you can see that a costume file actually has a lot of data attached to its header. That data is, in fact, all the instructions required to construct your costume.
D4wedXI.png
Now what's particularly stand-out about this file, however, is this section right here:
V7eT3Rz.png
Color values for a given costume part, given in integer values/whole numbers. These four numbers stand for: Red, Green, Blue, and Alpha (alpha is not used and is always max value, 255). If you were to add these numbers together, you'd get a dull greenish-blue shade (the highest value, 97, is blue. The next highest, 81, is green, while the lowest, 49, is red, and balances out the other two).

Basically, the CO engine and costume files have the capacity to store any combination of colors. Anything created from Red, Green, and Blue, ranging from values of 0 to 255, can be created. This'd give us all the colors possible on a computer screen, or around 16-million color combos to use.

So how would we hone this power? With a specialized UI.
YvwyxG3.png
Explaining this UI piece-by-piece:
Previous Colors - Same as on the current UI, shows previous colors that were used.
Advanced Mode Toggle - This tick switches the palette between the default one (just squares of colors), and this one, in case players want to keep their colors simple.
The advanced mode toggle would also show up on the standard UI. Space might need to be made in order to accommodate the extra option.
Color Wheel - The color wheel lets the player select a color within the wheel by clicking and dragging. Shades closer to the edges are more extreme, while ones at the center are more faded, with white being in the direct center.
RGB Sliders - Lets the player control levels or red, green, and blue directly. As a concept, Clicking on the text "Red" "Green" or "Blue" might be nice to allow players to manually type in their numeric value in case they really want to match a certain color.
Color Picker - This is a big one I want to see, even if advanced palette isn't implemented: When the color picker is selected, the player can copy a color from elsewhere on their costume, matching the same RGB values as the part. Of note, this option is disabled when picking skin color, and also will not allow the player to pick the skin color when hovering over the costume either.
HSV Sliders - For alternate color manipulation, the player can use these to change the hue (angle on the color wheel), Saturation, (distance from center of color wheel), and brightness or value (total RGB value).
HSV might also be able to accept numerical values. Hue, would range from 0-360 (since it's position on the wheel), while Saturation and Value would both be 0-100.
Current Color - In a big rectangle, the currently-selected color is shown in the upper right to indicate the shade you are editing or selecting for your costume part. Clicking on this rectangle applies the color to the given costume part.
Custom Palette - The custom palette stores and allows the user to use previously-created or selected colors. The player can save their current color to the custom palette by right-clicking, and use colors off of the palette by left-clicking.
Glow Slider - As with the normal palette, the glow slider shows up only when on a costume part that can accept glow settings.

Q: Can't this be exploited to make characters that look nude? This'll give players complete access to shades of color that match skintones!
Not quite. As an added measure, the advanced mode color picker won't let you pick color values that are within 10 degrees and 10 brightness units of your skin tone. Both have to be true in order to stop a color from being picked, and while the tailor will still let you preview, the change won't stick until you change it to a legal color.
The restriction might seem light, but the way it's applied would allow players to still utilize tailor techniques to create effects such as 'hose shading' for leggings. In addition, even without this restriction, costumes can still be reported and cleared if they violate TOS.
The inability for the color-picker tool to accept skintone is also a deliberate decision to help prevent this from happening.
ANOTHER IDEA: Only apply these rules to the Torso (for females) and Legs (For both genders)

Q: What if this doesn't get implemented?
Well, who knows if it will, it's just an idea. If this can't be put in, at the very least, give us an extra column of color choices for red-orange shades please.
I8HUZu4.png
Thank you for any considerations for the idea.
How to block a user with μblock:
forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))
Post edited by bluhman on

Comments

• Options
    gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    Yoooooo... Elaborative and informative, we absolutely need this~!
    +1 Fa'sho~!
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Pretty please!
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    GOD I WISH​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    :+1: x 1000
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Question. Can that costume file be abu.. er, used to cause insane things to happen to the player's costume? Or does the game try to match it up with server data to prevent us from doing that?​​
  • Options
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Question. Can that costume file be abu.. er, used to cause insane things to happen to the player's costume? Or does the game try to match it up with server data to prevent us from doing that?​​

If the costume file is illegal by the server's standards, it will reset it to a default male/female costume (the yellow/blue tights person). So no, modding your costume files won't get you any cool points.

• Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    This gets my vote a thousand times, although I'd like to suggest adding a text input field to the mockup. This field would show the raw values for the current color in RRGGBB format (hex values) as well as allowing for the player to directly input a value of their choice if they desire.

Basically this:

j8LFdAv.png
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    alt0angel0skalt0angel0sk Posts: 137 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    This gets my vote a thousand times, although I'd like to suggest adding a text input field to the mockup. This field would show the raw values for the current color in RRGGBB format (hex values) as well as allowing for the player to directly input a value of their choice if they desire.

Basically this:

j8LFdAv.png

YES PLEASE, i like this idea, this gets an upvote from me :)
  • Options
    aesica wrote: »

Basically this:

j8LFdAv.png

Good idea! Hopefully the copy/paste function can work for that text field.

• Options
    bumpe because I still want this feature or at least some new shades between red/orange.

• Options
    lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Screw your red-orange nonsense. Give us actual browns aside from "this is discount gray" brown and "wasn't there a rule never to match this with blue pants" brown.​​
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    dark red-orange would be a shade of brown I'd think.

Red-Orange shade with full-brightness/saturation
    Red-Orange shade with reduced brightness and saturation
    Red-Orange Shade that's even darker that I'd probably fairly call brown.

well it's a moot point anyways because if we got a full color wheel UI then we'd just be able to set it to any color we'd like :3

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    That's kinda like trying to make "pastel red"... hehehehe
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters