test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lifetime Subscriptions

2»

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    In terms of disappearing character slots, the key thing is: subbed start with 8 slots. F2P start with, iirc, 2. If you were to buy a slot while subbed, and then let your sub lapse, your number of available slots will be... 3. However, you can still have filled (but unusable) slots from when you were subbed, so it can appear you have 8 characters. The F2P limit actually limits how many silver slots you can have (I don't think un-converted gold characters are supposed to count, but not sure).
  • stealthriderstealthrider Posts: 86 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Sticker Shock doesn't apply to LTS anyway. You don't have to buy it to play Champions Online, you can do that for free. You don't have to buy LTS to have a Freeform, and soon you won't even have to buy it to have power coloring. So simply put, if the price on the sticker is too high for you, stop, take a breath, don't get "shocked" and instead use your brain to realize how completely optional LTS is and how it's only for people who love this game. If you don't love this game and you don't see yourself playing it actively for years, LTS wasn't for you, so pass on it. No shock required.

Some people love cycling and will drop the price of an LTS on a new bike. You don't love cycling? Well then you won't do that. ( note, 200 bucks is actually cheap for a bike, real bike enthusiasts spend way more than that ).​​

OK, sure, sticker shock doesn't apply. It doesn't apply to any F2P game, clearly. Or any game. Or anything at all. It's just a myth that totally doesn't exist. Not a real thing at all. People spend whatever for whatever, just because, without any consideration at all. Liking something is the only thing that matters. In fact, it's a wonder that prices aren't higher, since everyone that enjoys the game at all will clearly pay thousands at a time. Everyone that doesn't spend that much on the game clearly doesn't love it enough, anyway, so their money doesn't even matter and they should just be playing something else. Who needs them, anyway; if they don't think the game is the best thing ever created they clearly aren't deserving of playing in the first place.

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    OK, sure, sticker shock doesn't apply. It doesn't apply to any F2P game, clearly.

Now you're starting to understand. After you said this you took a hard left into nonsense territory though.​​
    > @spinnytop said:
    > stealthrider wrote: »
    >
    > OK, sure, sticker shock doesn't apply. It doesn't apply to any F2P game, clearly.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Now you're starting to understand. After you said this you took a hard left into nonsense territory though.​​

No, the fact that you think sticker shock doesnt apply to F2P games is the nonsense bit. I don't know why I bothered engaging you again, it was obviously a mistake.
    No, the fact that you think sticker shock doesnt apply to F2P games is the nonsense bit. I don't know why I bothered engaging you again, it was obviously a mistake.

It was a mistake, but not for the reason you think.​​
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    Sticker shock still applies, what your thinking of is barrier to entry, similar reaction(ish), but different. Luckily you don't need a LTS to play so we're not in barrier to entry territory, but sticker-shock? Yeah. Gonna use BO4 as an example. Their digital deluxe enhanced edition(how the hell did someone think this was a good name? No really?) Has a $200 price tag. It's not a barrier to entry(I.e not being able to play the game if you don't buy the edition), but there is a sticker-shock because, I mean $200 is a lot to ask at once on it's face to the casual player. Granted, BO4, as an aside is trying to strong-arm its' players into buying the deluxe edition and enhanced editions of the game because they don't want to alienate the players, and spending $100 at once is the only way to do so :lol:.

TL:DR: LTS does have sticker shock, but definitely not barrier to entry. Granted, not for those whose mind are made up about getting one(usually the ones here since ~'10), but to a casual player it's a sticker-shock more than likely.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    If you love CO, then you don't feel the "sticker shock". If you feel the "sticker shock" then LTS isn't for you. Thankfully you can still get everything LTS provides... but if you end up playing the game for a long time, not getting LTS will cost you more. Oops!​​
    If you love CO, then you don't feel the "sticker shock". If you feel the "sticker shock" then LTS isn't for you. Thankfully you can still get everything LTS provides... but if you end up playing the game for a long time, not getting LTS will cost you more. Oops!​​

That's an extreme view though. And it does apply to the hardcore player really. But again, this isn't about them it's about casual players. Not getting LTS over multiple years will cost you more, but that's typical/basic long run economics. Someone who loves CO can still feel a sticker-shock. To say otherwise implies you can't love the game, which is pretty false. That's like saying someone who doesn't spend $300,000(a bit extreme for an example but still) on a ring/wedding for their S.O doesn't love them, which of course, would be false.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited July 2018
    xcelsior41 wrote: »
    Someone who loves CO can still feel a sticker-shock. To say otherwise implies you can't love the game, which is pretty false.

No. If you plan to actively play the game long term you don't feel the "sticker shock" because the price looks totally worth it. What is possible is planning to actively play the game long term and just not having 200 bucks, but if you did have it to spend you would. I was in that position for several years after I started playing.

If someone plans to actively play the game long term and thinks the price of LTS isn't worth it, then one of the following is true:

- their definition of long-term isn't actually long-term
    - their math is bad
    - they know it's worth it but they think they can lower the price with forum posts and pay less than it's worth​​
    Someone who loves CO can still feel a sticker-shock. To say otherwise implies you can't love the game, which is pretty false.

No. If you plan to actively play the game long term you don't feel the "sticker shock" because the price looks totally worth it. What is possible is planning to actively play the game long term and just not having 200 bucks, but if you did have it to spend you would. I was in that position for several years after I started playing.

If someone plans to actively play the game long term and thinks the price of LTS isn't worth it, then one of the following is true:

- their math is bad
    - they know it's worth it but they think they can lower the price with forum posts and pay less than it's worth​​

Well, gonna agree to disagree here, but have fun with that.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User

- their math is bad

Sticker Shock is seeing a price and thinking it's too high, based on what YOUR individual budget is. You can still think CO is a great game, would love to buy it, know it has long term value, but have other more important things to spend $200.00 than a video game.
    edited July 2018
    darqaura2 wrote: »
    Sticker Shock is seeing a price and thinking it's too high, based on what YOUR individual budget is. You can still think CO is a great game, would love to buy it, know it has long term value, but have other more important things to spend $200.00 than a video game.

So then it's literally just "I can't afford that", which will always be the case for some people so long as it's not free, hence "sticker shock" is a pointless term that just means "not everyone can afford everything".​​
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    It means that seeing the sum total all at once is shocking enough to stop you from buying. A person who buys a $3 coffee every day might balk if you asked them for $1000 on January 1 to cover their coffee for the year.

So then it's literally just "I can't afford that", which will always be the case for some people so long as it's not free, hence "sticker shock" is a pointless term that just means "not everyone can afford everything".​​

How have you not grasped this by now? It's not a matter of can't afford it, it's not a matter of not liking the game enough. People have price limits for everything. A person can absolutely love bread and have an infinite amount of cash but still not want to spend $20 on a loaf of bread. If the price is too high relative to what the person believes the product's value to be and it exceeds that person's hard limit of what to spend on such a product, they will not buy it. They will not save up for it, they will not care how much it may save them long-term, they simply will not bother and will choose to spend (or not spend) their money on something else.

That same person may buy 300 $1 Freeform character slots, but they'd never buy a $300 LTS. Does it make rational sense? No. It's not rational. It's sticker shock. There's plenty of literature on the subject. Read some.
    edited July 2018
    If the price is too high relative to what the person believes the product's value to be and it exceeds that person's hard limit of what to spend on such a product, they will not buy it.

So it's literally the thing I said many posts ago. The person doesn't like the game enough to spend 200 bucks on it, so they won't. Other people do, and they will. Not sure why you keep arguing that it's not that.
    That same person may buy 300 $1 Freeform character slots, but they'd never buy a $300 LTS.

Gee this sounds really similar to the point I made about how you can buy everything in LTS one by one instead of getting it all at once through LTS ( minus veteran rewards ). You're not even arguing against what I'm saying.​
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    It means that seeing the sum total all at once is shocking enough to stop you from buying. A person who buys a $3 coffee every day might balk if you asked them for $1000 on January 1 to cover their coffee for the year.

They would probably balk at that because it's not a good deal. On the other hand if you asked them for $500 to cover their coffee for the year they would definitely consider it because it's a good deal, and what they get from that deal has value to them. On the other hand, if you don't like coffee that much and you're not sure that you're going to drink coffee everyday, or you might just stop drinking coffee for several months at a time then for you it's no longer a good deal.

Hell, to a coffee lover they wouldn't be shocked, they'd be overjoyed, i.e. "only five hundred bucks?". Thinking a price is too high isn't a universal reaction that kicks in at some arbitrary number and depends on the individual, their values, and their budget.

It's very simple. As the value you place in something rises, so does the amount you're willing to invest.​​
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    Okay, so you don't understand the concept. Noted.

Seriously, it's like talking to a brick wall.

Well, best case is to agree to disagree. I've had plenty of debates where two parties fail to see eye-to-eye on a topic or reach a middle-ground at least, so the only logical option really is to agree to disagree.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    It seems, in fact, that he does understand the concept. The other concept which needs to be understood, of course, is the concept that value is not an absolute. "It's not worth the price to me" =/= "sticker shock".

"Sticker shock" is a term generally used to describe the shock on seeing that something is horribly overpriced. For instance, a first-time homebuyer might start looking at what they consider an "ideal" home, only to be shocked to discover that the down payment they'd need just to get their foot in would be thousands, or even tens of thousands, of dollars.

Nobody's being "shocked" by the price of an LTS - it's just that to some people, the benefits simply aren't worth $300/$200. To me, they were. The value isn't absolute, it's relative to what you personally want more. (This concept is also the basis of trade - I have way too many of these shiny rocks, you want shiny rocks but grow a lot of potatoes, so the potatoes are worth less to you than shiny rocks are, while to me the shiny rocks have less value than the potatoes. Let's trade!)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sticker shock

Definition of sticker shock
    : astonishment and dismay experienced on being informed of a product's unexpectedly high price
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited July 2018
    Yeah see, going by the very definition of it, it does not apply here because of that one very important part where it says "unexpectedly high price". So if the only thing that you saw was the price without knowing anything else about it, that means you had no expectations about the price because you never even saw the product first. If you saw what LTS contains and saw the price ( which I'm sure is infinitely more common ), it wouldn't be unexpected either since you saw all the things it gives and you would have to know that it's not going to be cheap. You would realize that the 8 slots alone are already 240$ worth, and on top of that you're getting a price reduction on additional slots of like 97%, and then you start adding in all the other stuff you get too. If you have functional math abilities, the only thing you would be shocked at is how amazing of a deal LTS is.

It's like claiming that a 12 month sub plan would induce sticker shock in someone. People don't just see a biggish number and gasp in horror. No, they look at the number, compare it to the product, and make a value vs cost assessment. In this case because the price is more than reasonable, no sticker shock. If LTS was like $1000, then it might rattle some feathers.

Yeah sure not everyone can or wants to drop 200 bucks on a game. However those same people upon seeing what an LTS gives would have to acknowledge the price is fair and in no way unexpected.​​
  • kyastralkyastral Posts: 342 Arc User
    hmmm....

Interesting...

"Your sense of value when making a purchase depends upon deep your pockets are." 'Nuff Said.

Basically I agree with spinny; many people see the inital price of an LTS or 12 month service and see the upfront cost and not the perk/benfits that are included with that price. Even if someone does see the value, a purchase will not be made if the money is not available.

Many people dismiss an expensive item/service as "Sticker Shock" when the truth is that they cannot afford it.
    Like many others, I waited until there was a sale on the LTS so I could afford to purchase it. I maintained a Gold membership until then, because the value of the Gold Membership was suitable for my budget.
    edited July 2018
    kyastral wrote: »
    hmmm....

Interesting...

"Your sense of value when making a purchase depends upon deep your pockets are." 'Nuff Said.

Basically I agree with spinny; many people see the inital price of an LTS or 12 month service and see the upfront cost and not the perk/benfits that are included with that price. Even if someone does see the value, a purchase will not be made if the money is not available.

Many people dismiss an expensive item/service as "Sticker Shock" when the truth is that they cannot afford it.
    Like many others, I waited until there was a sale on the LTS so I could afford to purchase it. I maintained a Gold membership until then, because the value of the Gold Membership was suitable for my budget.

But...they LITERALLY gave a definition of sticker shock. Like, exact definition verbatim. I didn't see anywhere in that definition listed "...because you can't afford it(which, you also don't know if they can or can't by the way.)". Barring any other disagreements, that's the least reasonable assessment to make at all. But hey, next time you go to a store and if you see an object of objectively subpar quality being inflated in price, look at it as you can't afford it.

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited July 2018
    But hey, next time you go to a store and if you see an object of objectively subpar quality being inflated in price, look at it as you can't afford it.

On the other hand, you appear to completely agree with what I was saying, i.e. it has to do with the value of the item. LTS obviously does not fit the description of "an object of objectively subpar quality ", especially not compared to its price, so sticker shock does not apply.

On yet another hand, you appear to disagree with this guy:

Cause he's talking about having sticker shock towards something that you clearly see as having value/quality. Unless he's saying someone is going to walk into a store and see an object of objectively subpar quality , and think to themselves "Man, I really love that thing". So this guy would probably suggest you leave out the part about "objectively subpar quality", but hey you can take that up with him.

Also you disagree with this guy:

Since he's both saying it has to do with if you can afford it or not AND saying the item doesn't have to be an object of objectively subpar quality ​​
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    The term "sticker shock" also implies that you are, well, shocked by the price. The price of an LTS is pretty well-known already, though, so "sticker shock" doesn't apply any more than I would experience "sticker shock" on seeing the price tag on, say, a Bugatti.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    Is anyone feeling sticker shock about the 60% off sale price?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    ugkkdrC.gif

CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »

I'd say if anything keep it like this permanently. It's damn good price, which, of course, won't happen.

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited July 2018
    jonsills wrote: »
    The term "sticker shock" also implies that you are, well, shocked by the price. The price of an LTS is pretty well-known already, though, so "sticker shock" doesn't apply any more than I would experience "sticker shock" on seeing the price tag on, say, a Bugatti.

Sticker-shock applies to new players. I think we're looking at it from a veteran perspective, in which case, unless you've literally subbed and never looked at the LTS page(kinda impossible before, and definitely now), it doesn't apply. I believe that's what has been the issue the whole time from my perspective :lol: meant to clarify that. For new players, yes it most certainly applies. Even moreso now.

See I've actually had experience in real life with trying to get a new player to try out CO once/they had a case of sticker shock(rather funny to listen to at the time as well :lol:). They were booting up CO and while they waited I told them about sub options at the time if they enjoyed the game since it was far cheaper than throwing $50 for one slot. They saw some of the options, and thought nothing of it. Then they saw the LTS and, in their words, "What the ****?! Hell no! Who the hell charges this much?!" I'd say that's a real life case of sticker shock right there. It was, however, hilarious to listen to.

Post edited by xcelsior41 on

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited July 2018
    Sticker-shock applies to new players.

Yet another qualifier added, and the group to whom this could potentially apply grows smaller and smaller... and we still haven't resolved the contradictions from above.

So "sticker shock" applies to "new players who can't math and/or who don't look at a product before determining if the price is acceptable" - unclear if liking the game plays a role, unclear if being able to afford the price plays a role ( all the 'experts' in the thread appear to disagree on these two factors ). Quite the demographic.​​
  • tempestorm76tempestorm76 Posts: 90 Arc User
    I am shocked that the price is, currently, so low... does that count as sticker shock?
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »

I'd say if anything keep it like this permanently. It's damn good price, which, of course, won't happen.

Pretty much agreed.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    I am shocked that the price is, currently, so low... does that count as sticker shock?

'Sticker shock' is astonishment and dismay experienced on discovering a product's unexpectedly HIGH price. So what you describe is the opposite.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • tempestorm76tempestorm76 Posts: 90 Arc User
    My sarcasm seems to have failed to translate...
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Not at all ;)

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,394 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    At 60% off, with the neutered advantages and rewards, I'd say the price is a bit steep for an 8 year old game. Don't get me wrong, when I bought my LTS 7 years or so ago it was a great buy and I don't regret my purchase, but if I just discovered this game today and wasn't sure how much longer it was going to be up and running, I'm not sure I'd want to shell out that much money for a single game when I could easily get a couple new 2018 games for that price.
    edited July 2018

- their math is bad

Exactly right. I've listed sticker shock earlier as a real life example of someone having it since it seems a foreign idea. Now currently, $120 is a fantastic price. I'd feel if it were left here that'd severely reduce sticker shock across the board.

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited July 2018
    Sticker-shock applies to new players.

Yet another qualifier added, and the group to whom this could potentially apply grows smaller and smaller... and we still haven't resolved the contradictions from above.

So "sticker shock" applies to "new players who can't math and/or who don't look at a product before determining if the price is acceptable" - unclear if liking the game plays a role, unclear if being able to afford the price plays a role ( all the 'experts' in the thread appear to disagree on these two factors ). Quite the demographic.​​

I mean are you an expert? The rest of the example speaks to that qualifier. I mean, what else is there to add? Real life person had real life reaction to price. I amended my statement earlier because you're right, to a veteran player, it is a good deal because they've had time extensively to play the game and observed for themselves the value of FF/LTS as compared to a monthly sub, and as such, sticker shock doesn't apply. A new player is more than likely to experience sticker-shock listed in my example. I did when I was new, the person I tried to introduce into CO did when they tried it, I mean, it is a thing.
    Post edited by xcelsior41 on

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited July 2018
    guyhumual wrote: »
    At 60% off, with the neutered advantages and rewards, I'd say the price is a bit steep for an 8 year old game. Don't get me wrong, when I bought my LTS 7 years or so ago it was a great buy and I don't regret my purchase, but if I just discovered this game today and wasn't sure how much longer it was going to be up and running, I'm not sure I'd want to shell out that much money for a single game when I could easily get a couple new 2018 games for that price.

So how crazy low do they need to go before that speed bump isn't too steep for ya?​​
    guyhumual wrote: »

I gotta say this new price is vastly superior. For $300 I'd be like hell no I'm buying a console/games, but $120? for myself personally I could talk myself into that. 2 games isn't nearly as bad, again, in my opinion, as say one game for the price of 5.

42 40s, LTSer.
    I got LTS YEARS ago during one of the $200.00 sales. Luckily at that time it was right after I got a raise at work. Had I not, I would not have LTS right now. $300.00 was too high, especially for what little content the game had at the time.
    $300.00 was too high, especially for what little content the game had at the time.

So what you're saying is, the price of LTS is more acceptable now than it was a year ago \o/​​