test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PSA: Subs and LTS pay 1$ for additional freeform characters.

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    guyhumual wrote: »
    don't think that'd be a pointless title at all, some people might not be aware of the price change, I mean not everyone follows the release notes, and some folks might be so upset about one change they might have missed this other one.

Well then go ahead and go make a thread titled "Character slots are now 100 zen" and inform people of that. However, that was not the goal of this thread, hence that title would be pointless for this thread.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,394 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    s that what you were saying Spinny? That Free Form Character slots now only cost $1? Because if that's what you were saying you are wrong, however I suspect you were trying to tell us that character slots are only $1 and it's lezard21 that's wrong.

Lezard is irrelevant because this:
    Edit: the misleading part BTW is the use of the word "freeform" when you should have just called them character slots. As a gold or lifetime subscriber you have the choice of making an archetype or freeform, if your gold status drops and you become a sliver, that character slot can only be used for archetypes.

Was not in response to lezard, it was in response to me. You say that the use of the phrase "freeform characters" is misleading here, and that's where you're wrong.
    No no, that's a separate argument though, well more of a conversation really, here I was addressing you and why I thought the title of the thread was misleading. My argument with Lezard is about his completely incorrect information. I do think calling them freeform characters is misleading but I don't think you called them FF character slots or FF slots. The post you made was accurate. I think it's fine if we disagree, but my posts to Lezard were about correcting him, and so I'm trying to clear up who I'm disagreeing with and who I'm actually arguing with.
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    Stop fighting over me ^_^​​
    lezard21 wrote: »
    So wait, the issue was that I used the word "FF slot" instead of the word "FF character"
    they should be called character slots.
    when referring to something that was completely clear in the OP thus completely unaffecting the sense of my sentence? And that mixup was your entire basis to deconstruct the validity of my argument?
    I wasn't addressing the OP, I was addressing you. I quoted you. You don't get to hide behind the OP when you were the one I was talking to. If the OP had said the The earth is spheroid, and I suggest that it's an oblate spheroid and you say that it's a circle, I can point out to you why that's wrong while not having much of an issue with the OP.
    edited June 2018
    snip

Noted. From now on when I want to say a FF character, instead of typing those evil misleading words and save myself some typing seconds I shall instead type "a character slot that is bought by either a LTS or Gold Sub that works essentially like a FF slot/character would".

I'll go ahead and edit my previous posts and problem solved

edit: Fixed all previous posts normal-30.gif​​
    snip

Noted. From now on when I want to say a FF character, instead of typing those evil misleading words and save myself some typing seconds I shall instead type "a character slot that is bought by either a LTS or Gold Sub that works essentially like a FF slot/character would".

I'll go ahead and edit my previous posts and problem solved

edit: Fixed all previous posts normal-30.gif​​

Character slot, that's all you have to say, it's what the Devs use in their announcement, character slot usage has not changed with these updates. Who can get them and what they cost has changed.
    edited June 2018
    To be fair Lezard, I specifically didn't type "FF slot" in the title because that is a specific thing and if people saw "FF slots 1$ for subs!" they would have gone even more nuts than they are now because they would immediately start shaking their fists in the air how it's unfair that Gold players gets 1$ ff slots. Then we'd be talking them down off that ledge. So in that case, it is important not to type FF slot if that's not specifically what you mean. Did people need to harp on it as much as they did? Well, you seemed to enjoy responding to them so I'm okay with it.

So that's why I wrote "free form characters" so the title would be absolutely 100% clear. I actually almost typed FF slot, then when I was looking at it I realized how misleading that would be, so I changed it before hitting Post. Despite that, it seems that some people read everything on these forums through a filter of their own past grudges, so for them it became murky and unclear because my happy swaying cat face was obscuring their vision. Not my problem, the thread was made for people seeking information, not for people seeking an argument to feed their egos.
    No no, that's a separate argument though

Well it's the only one I've been having with you. I know Lezard is really cool and fashionable ( just look at that avatar! ) but there's no reason we have to try to inject him into every interaction we have.
    Good, those gifs need to be shown more cause I think some people still don't get it. Bit odd that someone quoting them doesn't get it though... like I said, bigger, more flashing. Maybe add some colors?

So this is the reason Lezard got drawn into the conversation I was having with you. You address the argument I was having with him.
    edited June 2018
    You weren't the only one saying the title was mis-leading though. In fact, the other people who said it were being sour dunces about it, so all that was primarily directed at them. The fact that you were harping on what lezard typed so much made it appear that you thought he somehow represented the thread. I mean, me personally, I never realized that what is essentially a typo could be such a big deal that warrants such a fierce debate. Should have just said "For clarity, that should be FF character instead of FF slot", and then Lezard says "Oh right, I'll change that, thanks!", and then we can get back to work on bigger more flashy gifs. You chose to be a bit more confrontational about it and of course that gets Lezard all excited and ready to fight.
    Character slot, that's all you have to say, it's what the Devs use in their announcement, character slot usage has not changed with these updates. Who can get them and what they cost has changed.

Except some people (both old and new) don't know these cause prior to these changes they never had to buy a character slot before. Thus Foxi's PSA topic to clear out people's doubts that, should you buy a character slot while being subbed/LTS, it will work essentially in the same way a FF slot would.

Need I remind you that some people buy Rank 3 Catalysts expecting to transform their Rank 2 weapon system into a rank 3?

The PSA was warranted and there was nothing wrong with the titles phrasing, nor was it misleading.​​
    edited June 2018
    it will work essentially in the same way a FF slot would. ​​

except for the part where you can't use it after you end your subscription o3o you gotta say that otherwise people go nuts and think subs actually get 1$ FF slots.

See this is why I just stick with "Freeform character". It communicates everything it needs to without bringing slots into it. Character slot isn't enough, FF slot is too much. Freeform Character is just the right spaghett.
    Than perhaps a better title should have been "$1 Character Slots can be used to make FF" and explained why this was in the body of the thread.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    A better title is 'Lezard <3 Spinny *kissyface*'

How dare you disagree with his damsel! Joking aside, it's really cute though.
    Also props on using a mental disorder as a joke as part of your comeback retort. 10/10 classiness​​
    No wonder you get so easily triggered ​​
    umXEPCq.png?1
    Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited June 2018
    Than perhaps a better title should have been "$1 Character Slots can be used to make FF" and explained why this was in the body of the thread.

Considering it doesn't mention subs or lts, that title appears to imply that everyone can use those character slots to make a FF. A bit misleading, don't you think? I'm sure there would have been even more "you lied to us ur trullz!" responses if I had made that the title.
    edited June 2018

Considering it doesn't mention subs or lts, that title appears to imply that everyone can use those character slots to make a FF. A bit misleading, don't you think? I'm sure there would have been even more "you lied to us ur trullz!" responses if I had made that the title.

I agree, the title I suggested is far from perfect, but I think the use of "freeform characters" is a bit more problematic, especially when you list it next to the character slot price, and so I just tried to use the correct terms with my suggested title.
    A better title is 'Lezard <3 Spinny *kissyface*'

How dare you disagree with his damsel! Joking aside, it's really cute though.

We don't do that in public. We make oot below Mathews Park's bridge. We like it when the troll watches us.​​
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    Yeah, ouch, I'm super triggered. You guys got me good this time normal-38.gif

Also props on using a mental disorder as a joke as part of your comeback retort. 10/10 classiness, heck you might even be the first guy to make a joke with it \o/

edit: Ok, I lied I DID get triggered at the fact that there is no proper Police Officer hat costume in game cause I want to recreate the awesome avatar foxi made for me. Kaiserin plz for 4th July event, thanks ^_^​​

Oh no I wasn't making a joke I was dead serious, your anger and responses truly did worry me, and I legit think you have it. No jokes there.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    I was totally mad angry yeah, I even broke my hamster normal-6.gifnormal-6.gifnormal-5.gifnormal-5.gif​​
    edited June 2018
    I agree, the title I suggested is far from perfect, but I think the use of "freeform characters" is a bit more problematic, especially when you list it next to the character slot price, and so I just tried to use the correct terms with my suggested title.

The thing is that there's no other term that more accurately states the message. It's about freeform characters and how much LTS/Sub have to pay to get them. "SUBS AND LTS PAY 1$ FOR ADDITIONAL FREEFORM CHARACTERS." contains exactly the information trying to be conveyed, nothing more nothing less. Take parts away and the message is incomplete and misleading, add more stuff and you're adding more than what needs to be conveyed. I mean, I dare say the title is in fact perfect. The fact that it's only people with an obvious grudge towards me who misunderstood anything tells me that the issue lays with those people rather than the title.
    I was totally mad angry yeah, I even broke my hamster normal-6.gifnormal-6.gifnormal-5.gifnormal-5.gif​​

I've never seen you this angry, I'm worried D:
    Well I can't speak for anyone else here, but I didn't misunderstand you Spinny, I simply said the title could be misleading. Also I don't have a grudge against you bu I also don't think you're an honest actor so I usually view your posts with a grain of salt.
    I'm not an actor at all. I'm one of the camera people. Lezard is a key grip.
    edited June 2018
    I've never seen you this angry, I'm worried D:

I mean, people keep saying I am angry, yet I got a cool new avatar, a SG name, and an idea for a costume that motivated me into using my MT again after like what? a year and a half since I sweared I would not tank for public cosmic runs again?

I should get angry more frequent \o/

Obligatory low quality meme:

thats-my-secret-cap-im-always-angry.jpg​​
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User

*Not sure if hamster is a symbolism for something else*
    I mean let's all be honest for a moment. Lezard's new forum avatar is really really cool. Possibly the best thing ever.
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    thats-my-secret-cap-im-always-angry.jpg​​

THANK you for sharing that! It is literally my life's motto. I have needed a meme for it since that movie came out. For some reason the low quality makes it even better.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
    As far as I can tell, as a non-altaholic LTS, this change has zero effect on me, personally. Of course, if it pisses a bunch of people off and they leave the game which then shuts down, that's gonna suck. But, I already have more slots than I'll use if I play another decade.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    The change kind of only negatively effects Altaholics really, no more free character slots and for folks like me with over 100 characters, no more character slots period.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    I'm only up to 42 slots, so for me the new price actually improves things. I may not get a free slot for pushing a toon to 40, but I seldom do that anyway; now I can get up to five free slots per month from my stipend. :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    jonsills wrote: »
    I'm only up to 42 slots, so for me the new price actually improves things. I may not get a free slot for pushing a toon to 40, but I seldom do that anyway; now I can get up to five free slots per month from my stipend. :smile:

A great point made here. I recently saw someone else say that this change means they don't feel like they have to hit 40 on any given character and as a result they can be (even) more casual about how they play their toons.
    The change kind of only negatively effects Altaholics really, no more free character slots and for folks like me with over 100 characters, no more character slots period.
    Yeah, this part also makes no sense to me. To make more money, they have reduced the cost of slots AND limited the number. By reducing the cost, one might guess they are trying to make up the difference in volume. But then, by limiting the number, they restrict their volume, so they can't make up the cost difference. None of this makes any sense.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    I had to go to the SECOND page of googling what "PSA" stands for, in relation to this (and other posts). That's just too much effort for me to understand something.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"

That's how I view it imo, but I understand people being upset, especially those above 100 40s. Granted I would never waste zen like that, but the sentiment I can get behind :p.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • stealthriderstealthrider Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    The question I have is what happens if you're subbed, you purchase one of those slots, you make a character in it and unsub. Do you keep the slot? Prior experience with one of the free slots tells me no. I unsubbed a couple of years ago to play my silver characters, deleted the gold character I'd made in a free slot and was surprised (and pissed) to see the slot completely disappear. Are these slots going to work the same way or not?
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    The question I have is what happens if you're subbed, you purchase one of those slots, you make a character in it and unsub. Do you keep the slot? Prior experience with one of the free slots tells me no. I unsubbed a couple of years ago to play my silver characters, deleted the gold character I'd made in a free slot and was surprised (and pissed) to see the slot completely disappear. Are these slots going to work the same way or not?

You keep the slot, but, the character becomes unplayable till you convert it to silver status (an archtype basically).

If what you say about your vanishing slot is true, that sounds like a bug and you should have sent in a support ticket. And if they did not fix it, than that is bad on them.
    soulforger wrote: »

You keep the slot, but, the character becomes unplayable till you convert it to silver status (an archtype basically).

If what you say about your vanishing slot is true, that sounds like a bug and you should have sent in a support ticket. And if they did not fix it, than that is bad on them.

I know the character gets locked, just wondering about the slot itself. I don't remember if I sent in a ticket back then or if I was too pissed to even play after that.
    There is no circumstance under which a slot should outright disappear from your account
    There is no circumstance under which a slot should outright disappear from your account
    There is one circumstance. When you sub, you get I believe six more slots. If you fill all the slots and then unsub, the system then shows you as having six more slots than you should - they become "virtual slots", of a sort. If you delete a toon, one of those "virtual" slots is subtracted, until you get down to the number of slots a Silver player is "supposed" to have. (Most of mine were purchased, at 1400z for two, so if for some reason my LTS disappeared tomorrow I'd be down to 26 slots plus 16 virtual slots, and each of those virtual ones would disappear one at a time when I deleted a toon. Discovered that when I first subbed for about three months, then went Silver again, then tried to free up a slot to use for a new toon idea...)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

Yknow I don't think they'll phase out subs or add the premium pack again. Reason being, most of the pack(or what probably would be in the pack) is put out in these recent notes. Again, nothing's stopping them from still doing so, but I feel it'd be more work on their end, and I doubt they'll do that.

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited June 2018

I know the character gets locked, just wondering about the slot itself. I don't remember if I sent in a ticket back then or if I was too pissed to even play after that.

hm...if you are down one character slot than you should have (if you remember how many you had back than, and how many you gained since than), you could tell.

Only thing I can think of is a bug.
    There is one circumstance. When you sub, you get I believe six more slots. If you fill all the slots and then unsub, the system then shows you as having six more slots than you should - they become "virtual slots", of a sort. If you delete a toon, one of those "virtual" slots is subtracted, until you get down to the number of slots a Silver player is "supposed" to have. (Most of mine were purchased, at 1400z for two, so if for some reason my LTS disappeared tomorrow I'd be down to 26 slots plus 16 virtual slots, and each of those virtual ones would disappear one at a time when I deleted a toon. Discovered that when I first subbed for about three months, then went Silver again, then tried to free up a slot to use for a new toon idea...)

They (Cryptic) said those slots get locked though, not deleted. So, you'd still see those characters on your character screen, just locked. Till you purchased the slot and a retrain token to convert them to silver. So, they should never vanished.

Wouldn't be right to delete a player's character without consent (unless the reason had to do with breaking rules/laws, but, even than, it is typically just a ban on the account and/or having the toon get turned generic).
    edited June 2018

Mystery solved \o/
    Wouldn't be right to delete a player's character without consent (unless the reason had to do with breaking rules/laws, but, even than, it is typically just a ban on the account and/or having the toon get turned generic).

I think you misunderstood what Jon said. Your character doesn't get deleted without your consent. What happens is you delete the character, and then the slot that character was in ( now empty ) goes away.

The question is, does the slot come back if you re-sub?
    I think you misunderstood what Jon said. Your character doesn't get deleted without your consent. What happens is you delete the character, and then the slot that character was in ( now empty ) goes away.

No, I did not misunderstand, I used the wrong word. What I was meaning was the slot was basically paid (by being gold) for and thus it shouldn't be deleted without a good reason. And going silver is not a good reason. So, it has to be a bug.
    edited June 2018
    No, I did not misunderstand, I used the wrong word. What I was meaning was the slot was basically paid (by being gold) for and thus it shouldn't be deleted without a good reason. And going silver is not a good reason. So, it has to be a bug.

I mean you could extend that logic to "I paid to access my freeforms, going silver is not a good reason to lose access", which is inherently fallible since a Gold Subscription is a rental, not a purchase. If it's a bug so be it, but if it's not a bug then there is still good reasoning for it. Without any data to confirm or deny, whether it's a bug or not is just speculation.
    edited June 2018

I mean you could extend that logic to "I paid to access my freeforms, going silver is not a good reason to lose access", which is inherently fallible since a Gold Subscription is a rental, not a purchase. If it's a bug so be it, but if it's not a bug then there is still good reasoning for it. Without any data to confirm or deny, whether it's a bug or not is just speculation.

Not the same logic, but, close enough. But, they did say your free forms that were not converted would not be playable us converted to silver. They never said anything about character slots being deleted though.

Mystery solved \o/

So not a bug, just another consequence of the terrible system. But what happened to me is precisely what happened to Jon. I deleted a character I didn't care for (one that was an AT, by the way, not a freeform. A Gold AT) when I went silver, intending to make a new character in its place. Once the character was deleted, the slot was gone as well, as if it had never existed. You can probably imagine how pissed I was afterward.

At least it means the purchased slots wouldn't disappear, which is good to know.
    the terrible system

Probably why they're going to get rid of the terrible sub system.
    the terrible system

Probably why they're going to get rid of the terrible sub system.

Which only makes it better if they actually fix what's wrong with it instead of just keeping the same problems, but without the temporary bypass of subbing.

See, there's where your misapprehension sets in. When you have a monthly sub, you haven't "bought" anything - you're renting it. Outright purchase costs $300, $200 on sale.

You can also outright purchase slots, which will remain yours forever. They used to cost $14 for two, with a total possible of 59 purchased. Now they cost $1 each, with a possible total of 100, both purchased and "earned" in-game.

See, there's where your misapprehension sets in. When you have a monthly sub, you haven't "bought" anything - you're renting it. Outright purchase costs $300, $200 on sale.

You can also outright purchase slots, which will remain yours forever. They used to cost $14 for two, with a total possible of 59 purchased. Now they cost $1 each, with a possible total of 100, both purchased and "earned" in-game.

That makes some sense I guess. But, still would not be the right thing to do on their part.
    But, still would not be the right thing to do on their part.

Based on what? You not wanting them to?

Thing is, I bought the game. Still have the box. So having that slot disappear, bug or not, just made that purchase feel more and more like I'd gotten nothing from it.

That's been CO's problem, and the problem with some other F2P games. Older purchases and long-term support mean nothing without either a current subscription or much larger purchase. It makes the game feel like it isn't worth paying for, since your purchase might be worth nothing (or at least substantially less) in the future. Probably sounds familiar to those upset about the LTS character changes, doesn't it.