test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PSA: Subs and LTS pay 1$ for additional freeform characters.

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
Making sure people are aware of this. If you are Sub or LTS you don't need to buy FF slots to make additional FF characters. Just like always, the regular character slots can be filled with FFs by you. I've seen some confusion/misinformation going around about this and want to make sure this is clear. I bought a regular slot and verified that I could fill it with a FF character. Nothing has changed in this regard other than the fact that the price of these slots is now 100 zen.

Comments

• soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    Yeah, I've seen some people asking about that. I keep telling them they will keep their current FF characters as long as they are gold members (LTS have it easy in this department).
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    I don't care about your facts or logic!!1!1!1uno!!!

qiVZabQ.gif​​
  • stealthriderstealthrider Posts: 86 Arc User
    To be clear, they're not actually FF characters. They're FF until your sub lapses, then they're locked. Not actual FF slots. Still no word at all about what they're doing with lapsed subs and their Gold slots, if the plan is still to get rid of subscriptions.
    Let's not pre-rabble till said change is brought into the table again​​
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    lezard21 wrote: »
    Let's not pre-rabble till said change is brought into the table again​​

NO!PRERABBLE!PANIC!BURNITALLDOWN!REVOLUTIOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!
    animated_fire_by_nevit.gif
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    To be clear, they're not actually FF characters. They're FF until your sub lapses, then they're locked. Not actual FF slots.
    And that's exactly as it's worked all along. No surprises there.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • stealthriderstealthrider Posts: 86 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    To be clear, they're not actually FF characters. They're FF until your sub lapses, then they're locked. Not actual FF slots.

Misleading thread title. But with who posted the thread, that's no surprise either I suppose.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,394 Arc User
    edited June 2018

Well not quite Jon, now you have to pay a dollar to get them, which isn't something that'd have really bothered me. I mean I want the company to make money and if this lets' them make money then I'd be fine with the change. I'd grumble a bit but the new cost on something we used to get for free isn't that big of a deal. Not a fan of the dishonesty in the change though. The fact that there's now a cap and I can't get more character slots now even with money is kind of the end of the game for me though.

Misleading thread title. But with who posted the thread, that's no surprise either I suppose.

Yep, pretty much.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Thank god the marketing guys have players to make threads like this for them.

Who doesn't love some good, old-fashioned, honest marketing.

NQry4tL.jpg
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    So hey if I start shilling for cryptic/pwi what kind of perks are we talking about?

edited June 2018

guyhumual wrote: »

Yep, pretty much.
    Thank god the marketing guys have players to make threads like this for them.

Who doesn't love some good, old-fashioned, honest marketing.

NQry4tL.jpg

You guys are joking right????

The thread title is not saying "You can buy a new character slot that is bought by either a LTS or Gold Sub that works essentially like a FF slot/character would for $1 now and you couldn't before"

What the thread title is saying is "You can buy a new character slot that is bought by either a LTS or Gold Sub that works essentially like a FF slot/character would for $1 now while you had to pay $14 for 2 character slot that is bought by either a LTS or Gold Sub that works essentially like a FF slot/character would before"

No wonder you get so easily triggered when you even fail at reading comprehension.

Look guys, we found the 3 cases where stupidity was not a bliss!​​
    Post edited by lezard21 on
    edited June 2018
    Here, let me hold your hand and guide you on how to read the OP
    spinnytop wrote: »
    If you are Sub or LTS you don't need to buy FF slots to make additional FF characters. Just like always, the regular character slots can be filled with FFs by you. I've seen some confusion/misinformation going around about this and want to make sure this is clear. I bought a regular slot and verified that I could fill it with a FF character. Nothing has changed in this regard other than the fact that the price of these slots is now 100 zen.

Man how I hate the new BBCode the forum uses cause stupidity this bad warrants font size = 48​​
    edited June 2018

What's misleading about it? It says freeform characters, not Freeform slots. Learn to read scrub, the only troll here is whoever taught you english.
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    O.O​​
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
    beezeeze wrote: »
    So hey if I start shilling for cryptic/pwi what kind of perks are we talking about?

It's great, they give you the ability to not whine like a spanked infant over video games. I see a lot of people in this thread who should sign up.

edited June 2018
    No wonder you get so easily triggered

bouWTsb.gif

Hmmm..... who's triggered now? ;)
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    bouWTsb.gif

Hmmm..... who's triggered now?

I don't know, maybe people who are triggered? fish-2.gif​​
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
    edited June 2018
    Definitely me. The sound of crying babies triggers me. Hard.
    I don't know, maybe people who are triggered? ​​

Undoubtedly.

zrdRBy8.png
    edited June 2018
    Well not quite Jon, now you have to pay a dollar to get them

Would I have bothered to make the thread if everything was exactly like it was before and nothing changed? Yeah, the price went down. I pointed that out in the OP.
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    I give up really. Some people are bound and determined to be unhappy about this. The fact is, I think we can all safely assume cryptic is getting out of the subscription business model. Businesses are allowed to change with the times, and hopefully the changes they make are good. Note, I said hopefully =).

There are people with almost 200 character slots, who are unhappy they can't have more. Even though it's pretty standard to limit character slots in every known MMO-style game out there. Part of that is Cryptic s fault for letting something unsustainable go on for so long.

But at the end of the day, things are changing. Players can either accept things are changing and be thankful that Cryptic compromised with us. Or dig their heels in the sand and refuse to accept it. Neither choice matters. Change will come regardless. *shrugs*.

As for me, like many others I bought my FF three-pack. Hopefully, the FREE premium pack for former subscribers still happens.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
    riverocean wrote: »
    Part of that is Cryptic s fault for letting something unsustainable go on for so long.

A mistake they have made many times before, with largely the same result every time. Let's hope they learned and never make it again.

You guys are joking right????

The thread title is not saying "You can buy a new FF slot for $1 now and you couldn't before"
    Indeed you couldn't, because those 1 dollar character slots you used to get for free.
    What the thread title is saying is "You can buy a new FF slot for $1 now while you had to pay $14 for 2 slots before"
    It is amusing that someone complaining about other's reading comprehension posts "You can buy a new FF slot for $1" which is wrong, you can get a new character slot for $1 but you need to be gold or LTS and have under 100 character slots. FF slots have dropped in price, but they're still like $30 bucks.
    No wonder you get so easily triggered when you even fail at reading comprehension.

Look guys, we found the 3 cases where stupidity was not a bliss!​​
    And hey, I found a special snowflake so eager to correct others they made an **** out of themselves. That's embarrassing.

edited June 2018
    Well not quite Jon, now you have to pay a dollar to get them

Would I have bothered to make the thread if everything was exactly like it was before and nothing changed? Yeah, the price went down. I pointed that out in the OP.
    Hmm, is your name Jon?

Edit: the misleading part BTW is the use of the word "freeform" when you should have just called them character slots. As a gold or lifetime subscriber you have the choice of making an archetype or freeform, if your gold status drops and you become a sliver, that character slot can only be used for archetypes.
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    No wonder you get so easily triggered

bouWTsb.gif

Hmmm..... who's triggered now? ;)

I mean..I should be happy you're right in catching them on their irony but this is worrying.I mean, every time they talk on this subject, they're wrong. That...just is jarring. I figured it legitimately can't be possible but every single post they've ever made on this topic/relating topics is uninformed and blatantly wrong. Not even different opinion/agree-to-disagree. No. Just wrong.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited June 2018
    Edit: the misleading part BTW is the use of the word "freeform" when you should have just called them character slots.

I don't really care what you thought I should have typed. What I typed was 100% accurate. Deal with it.
    beezeeze wrote: »

One of the perks is becoming an enemy with half the population of CO and a friend of the other half.
  • colonelmarikcolonelmarik Posts: 185 Arc User
    I'm confused... I'm reading bits and pieces of this on the forums, but I'm not seeing any links to any official statements.

I gather they're going to get rid of subscriptions? And what are they replacing them with? What happens to all my freeform characters? I gather from this thread that they'd remain available unless my sub lapses... but they're getting rid of subs, so I'm confused. What happens to those characters if I'm not subbed? They lock out (since I would be a silver player), but if there's no way to resub (with subs being discontinued), how do I get access to them?
    Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

Crafting, Exploration and Interaction as it should be:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1108521

It is amusing that someone complaining about other's reading comprehension posts "You can buy a new FF slot for $1" which is wrong, you can get a new character slot for $1 but you need to be gold or LTS and have under 100 character slots. FF slots have dropped in price, but they're still like $30 bucks.

vb7IFSN.jpg
    kaNV81A.gif

I mean, I literally can't hold your hand any tighter
    And hey, I found a special snowflake so eager to correct others they made an **** out of themselves. That's embarrassing.

NO U​​
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    I'm confused... I'm reading bits and pieces of this on the forums, but I'm not seeing any links to any official statements.

I gather they're going to get rid of subscriptions? And what are they replacing them with? What happens to all my freeform characters? I gather from this thread that they'd remain available unless my sub lapses... but they're getting rid of subs, so I'm confused. What happens to those characters if I'm not subbed? They lock out (since I would be a silver player), but if there's no way to resub (with subs being discontinued), how do I get access to them?

Assuming that they use the first proposed plan for discontinuing subscriptions (since they haven't released any new info since), subscriptions would be replaced by nothing. They would add a "premium pack" of services that gives you the ability to change power colors, comes with some costume sets and character slots. Correct, your freeforms would remain available until your subscription lapses. You would have the option to continue subscribing even past the date of this change, but if your subscription were to lapse, you could not ever subscribe monthly again. Lifetime subscriptions would remain available indefinitely, so that would be a way to get your characters back.

When it was brought up that simply recreating your characters in a bought Freeform slot wasn't a valid option since character-bound unlocks and gear and such would have to be deleted from the original character, Cryptic answered that they'd look into creating a service that would convert a regular character slot into a Freeform slot, but this would come down the line when they could figure out how to do this.
    biffsig.jpg

Unless they removed the announcement, you should check the news for the game on either the arc website or the arc launcher. As it stands, that plan has been put on hold. We have no idea what is happening at this moment. And, most likely they will just apply a change without alerting people ahead of time.
    soulforger wrote: »
    And, most likely they will just apply a change without alerting people ahead of time.

Except

They already did.

Heck you are even telling the other guy in this very post to go look for the topic where they alerted people ahead of time

Are you feeling ok?​​
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    Except

They already did.

Heck you are even telling the other guy in this very post to go look for the topic where they alerted people ahead of time

Are you feeling ok?​​

He probably meant, 'without alerting them immediately ahead of time', which they didn't do. They sorta told us 3 weeks ago that they were probably going to do something, but they weren't sure what, and they'd have to speak to their manager... and then put these changes out with the latest patch without much (any?) further notice. Knowing that the earth will eventually be destroyed is different from knowing that there is a meteor that's going to make impact in a week.

But, you should know that the rest of humanity got together, and we all think you're a real hero for policing the entire forum and trying to make people look stupid. Everyone is talking about your incalculable value to the forums, the game, and existence itself. In short, the work you've put in these last few days has been the single greatest achievement in the history of mankind. Please never stop.
    edited June 2018
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    we all think you're a real hero for policing the entire forum and trying to make people look stupid.

He's not trying to make anyone look stupid, they're doing that all on their own. He's actually trying to help them to stop being stupid, with gigantic flashing signs. It might not be working, I think the signs need to flash harder, and maybe be bigger. I mean for crying out loud, some people around here can't tell the difference between the word "character" and the word "slot"... I'm sure that sort of thing can lead to terrible consequences down the road.
  • folv#5303 folv Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    My assumption based on my observation of both the forums and the discord channel is that Spinny has much less interest in the game itself as they do with their social status with the devs. I've seen discord-channel conversations between the them and Spinny, so I know they communicate. Why it's ever something being denied is beyond me, but whatever. I don't really care all that much to go much deeper than that. Feel free to snap back with a typical snarky remark. But as i've stated before, you have been fairly transparent due to your your inability to balance your ego that seems to get a boost every time you make an argument based on "inside" info often used to bolster your positions. You can't have your cake and eat it to, and you would earn a little bit more respect if you didn't just keep trying to play both sides of the fence constantly depending on the conversation. You also tend to passive aggressively insult virtually everyone you come in contact with.. certainly that doesn't help things either. You treat people and their opinions like crap so obviously that all gets returned in kind. But I digress.

But lets cut through the crap and just look at what is LIKELY going on here (clearly subject to being wrong, as I hope it is). It seems that they've decided to break their initial release down into "phases" in an attempt to make this whole situation a littler easier to swallow. That is a fairly typical business strategy. Phase 1 was the introduction of character/FF slots and a (more) affordable price as we just saw as that was one of several concerns. I assume this is a move made to soften the blow of their initial plan to remove character slot unlocks and roll out the premium packs in wake of sub-removals. There is no reason to significantly reduce their profits on this sale item unless it were laying the groundwork for some other change; I say this because no one was really complaining about it beforehand. If this wasn't the case then I imagine they would have gladly explained that by now as it would only serve to calm the player base. We've gone weeks without much word, and as always the players are left to speculate. They are playing their hand close to the chest, giving as little info as possible in order to encourage sales. As was stated earlier, the mantra of "Gold subs get $1 character slots!" becomes obsolete if said character slots become locked out off free-form due to subscription removals as was the issue earlier this month. Because of this, I am urging everyone I know that is is subbed NOT to buy slots until we know one way or the other if they are going through with the sub-removal because then we would be right back at square one with all of the issues we've endlessly discussed weeks ago. I'd love for them to come out and shut down this theory, but so far all we've been treated as to as of late is the endless squawking of Spinny... and that hardly inspires much confidence.

Assuming that these changes are in fact moving forward in an unspecified time frame, the character slot limit is going to be enforced, and the level-40 unlocks and subscriptions removed, then perhaps they should consider making the achievement of level 40 a means to an end for obtaining freeform status for character slots. I know that they mentioned that FF was something they were looking into providing an in-game route towards, and this is one way to do it. Albeit, it's generous. I'm not going to deny that. I just can't think of any better way to handle this whole mess... (and again, understand that I am offering this suggestions somewhat nonpartisan considering I would be unaffected by this as an LTS). I do understand and empathize with the reality that this still doesn't address the concern players with over 100 character slots have, and I honestly don't have an answer to that. It's something they were allowed to build upon for nearly a decade, and stripping it from them now will always be considered a bit of a low blow no matter how it's approached.
    Post edited by folv#5303 on
    folv#5303 wrote: »
    I've seen discord-channel conversations between the them and Spinny, so I know they communicate.

You've also seen conversations between them and a bunch of other people. Are you going all butt nuts conspiracy theory on them too? lel
    But, you should know that the rest of humanity got together, and we all think you're a real hero for policing the entire forum

I am the forum police? Cool! Do I get my own patrol to drive around MC going WOOOO WOOOO WOOO WOOO?
    and trying to make people look stupid. Everyone is talking about your incalculable value to the forums, the game, and existence itself. In short, the work you've put in these last few days has been the single greatest achievement in the history of mankind. Please never stop.

Did I now? The series of events I remember was Foxi making a PSA for new or confused LTS/Gold subs so that they wouldn't waste money buying a FF slot when buying a regular slot would have the same effect of creating a FF character so long as they are subbed. Then a bunch of people saw who the OP was, and went "FOOOOOXIIIIII!!!emot-argh.gifemot-argh.gifemot-argh.gif" and started shitposting and twisting words to confuse people when the information, as I pointed out using multiple visual aids, was pretty clear in the title and OP.

But no, the OP was Foxi and he disagreed with me that one time in the past in another topic, ergo he is a troll, and also he is ok with the current changes so that means he is friends with the devs or an actual dev himself in disguise and probably he was the one that ordered subscriptions to be changed. Yeah, that sounds more plausible. emot-tinfoil.gif

Also, I didn't try to make anyone look stupid, they did that themselves and I just pointed people's attention to it. Kinda like how a circus' showman points the dumb monkeys doing tricks to the audience.

So feel free to angrily shake your fist as I drive off WOOOO WOOOO WOOO WOOO

Your friendly neighbourhood Forum Police Officer,
    Lezard​​
    And thus it came to pass that Lezard was triggered, once again.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    And thus it came to pass that Lezard was triggered, once again.

Yep :). Hey now, it's not healthy to get so mad lezard, y'know...they DID release that info that gaming disorder is officially a thing now. Maybe you should make a visit to your doctor/see what's up
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited June 2018
    Yeah, ouch, I'm super triggered. You guys got me good this time normal-38.gif

Also props on using a mental disorder as a joke as part of your comeback retort. 10/10 classiness, heck you might even be the first guy to make a joke with it \o/

edit: Ok, I lied I DID get triggered at the fact that there is no proper Police Officer hat costume in game cause I want to recreate the awesome avatar foxi made for me. Kaiserin plz for 4th July event, thanks ^_^​​
    It's amazing how mad some people get when it's pointed out to them that they misread a thread title. Why would someone need to troll when people get tilted that easily?
    edited June 2018

vb7IFSN.jpg
    kaNV81A.gif

NO U​​

But I wasn't addressing Spinny's post, I was addressing yours. Again, reading comprehension. Please try reading what people are saying and who they are talking to before flying off the handle. I already addressed what I thought was wrong with Spinny's post.
    Good, those gifs need to be shown more cause I think some people still don't get it. Bit odd that someone quoting them doesn't get it though... like I said, bigger, more flashing. Maybe add some colors?
    edited June 2018
    riverocean wrote: »
    Some people are bound and determined to be unhappy about this.

Probably the most insightful response in this thread. Some people just can't wait to get negative, they live for it. If you turned their frown upside down the ends would just droop back down into an even bigger frown.
    It's amazing how mad some people get when it's pointed out to them that they misread a thread title. Why would someone need to troll when people get tilted that easily?

Can't speak for others but I'm not mad, I pointed out my problems with the title of the thread, why I thought it was misleading, but I'd say I'm more amused more than anything. Nothing wrong in my books with telling people that character slots are now only 100 zen but the problem is the use of the word "freeform" and I think that's what has some people objecting.
    edited June 2018
    Can't speak for others but I'm not mad, I pointed out my problems with the title of the thread, why I thought it was misleading, but I'd say I'm more amused more than anything. Nothing wrong in my books with telling people that character slots are now only 100 zen but the problem is the use of the word "freeform" and I think that's what has some people objecting.

Well what you have to ask yourself is this: would the title being "Character slots are now 100 zen" have in any way conveyed what the post was meant to convey? If anything that would be misleading since the topic is specifically that subs and LTS can acquire more freeform characters with the 100 zen slots and don't need to buy freeform slots.

A thread that simply states "Character slots are now 100 zen" would be pointless since that information is clearly available in the update notes and I haven't seen anyone who is confused about this fact. On the other hand, I have seen people who think subs and LTS will need to buy FF slots to get more FF characters. I doubt I would catch those people's attention with a thread titled "Characters slows are now 100 zen".
    The thread title is not saying "You can buy a new FF slot for $1 now and you couldn't before"​​
    This is what I was correcting. You cannot buy a Free Form slot for $1, you can buy a character slot for 100 zen, which if you're gold or lifetime subscription you can use to make a Free Form character, but that's not a FF slot
    What the thread title is saying is "You can buy a new FF slot for $1 now while you had to pay $14 for 2 slots before"
    Is that what you were saying Spinny? That Free Form Character slots now only cost $1? Because if that's what you were saying you are wrong, however I suspect you were trying to tell us that character slots are only $1 and it's lezard21 that's wrong.
    edited June 2018

vb7IFSN.jpg
    kaNV81A.gif

NO U

But I wasn't addressing Spinny's post, I was addressing yours. Again, reading comprehension. Please try reading what people are saying and who they are talking to before flying off the handle. I already addressed what I thought was wrong with Spinny's post.

So wait, the issue was that I used the word "FF slot" instead of the word "A character slot that is bought by either a LTS or Gold Sub that works essentially like a FF slot/character would" when referring to something that was completely clear in the OP thus completely unaffecting the sense of my sentence? And that mixup was your entire basis to deconstruct the validity of my argument?

Geez I might be the Forum Police, but you are the Grammar Police normal-47.gif​​
    Post edited by lezard21 on
    edited June 2018
    s that what you were saying Spinny? That Free Form Character slots now only cost $1? Because if that's what you were saying you are wrong, however I suspect you were trying to tell us that character slots are only $1 and it's lezard21 that's wrong.

Lezard is irrelevant because this:
    Edit: the misleading part BTW is the use of the word "freeform" when you should have just called them character slots. As a gold or lifetime subscriber you have the choice of making an archetype or freeform, if your gold status drops and you become a sliver, that character slot can only be used for archetypes.

Was not in response to lezard, it was in response to me. You say that the use of the phrase "freeform characters" is misleading here, and that's where you're wrong.
    edited June 2018

Well what you have to ask yourself is this: would the title being "Character slots are now 100 zen" have in any way conveyed what the post was meant to convey? If anything that would be misleading since the topic is specifically that subs and LTS can acquire more freeform characters with the 100 zen slots and don't need to buy freeform slots.

A thread that simply states "Character slots are now 100 zen" would be pointless since that information is clearly available in the update notes and I haven't seen anyone who is confused about this fact. On the other hand, I have seen people who think subs and LTS will need to buy FF slots to get more FF characters. I doubt I would catch those people's attention with a thread titled "Characters slows are now 100 zen".
    I don't think that'd be a pointless title at all, some people might not be aware of the price change, I mean not everyone follows the release notes, and some folks might be so upset about one change they might have missed this other one.

I do think you're correct that some folks might not realize that if they're gold or LTS they don't need FF character slots to make FF characters, but maybe you should have either addressed that in the body of the post or made two PSAs. That's just my 2 cents.