test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Shield Defensive Mod

jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
As is well-known PFF, Mindful Reinforcement, Protection Field and Redirected Force are not exactly stellar performers. Maybe someday, when the relevant power sets are reviewed, there will be revamps that make them more useful. I wanted to toss out the idea that maybe a defensive mod could be in introduced that could in someway buff the shield mechanics of these powers.

I am not a wiz at game mechanics, but I was thinking that different ranks could boost the hits points of shields, add an increasing amount of inherent damage resistance, and add/boost shield regeneration . I guess that RF would just see an increase in DR. Could something like this work to make these more viable options for endgame?
JwLmWoa.png
Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!

Comments

• Options
    shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    Well, PFF can be used right in Endgame as can the other powers you mentioned. It's mainly about how you make a build to use the full potential of them. I for one can actually want to see this happen but not for only shield powers, maybe make it a GCR/SCR vendor mod that works like the Regen core for defensive slots. That way, a DPS could use it if needed as well as a tank.​​
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Sure. some people can get use out of them. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a PFF tank at a cosmic. Not saying that some brave souls haven't tried, I just haven't seen them.

I was imagining the mods as a gcr/scr things, but specifically for shield powers.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    Nice plan man, I'm all for this.​​
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    Bringing PFF to a cosmic run is probably the worst thing I've tried. I can't think of anything else that really tops that.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Sure. some people can get use out of them. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a PFF tank at a cosmic. Not saying that some brave souls haven't tried, I just haven't seen them.
    It can be done, it's just barely better than tanking without a passive.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    It can be done, it's just barely better than tanking without a passive.

Pretty much this. I always used to say that if you can run content without a passive, then you can run it with PFF.

I've only ever tanked in TA because championshewolf (Silverspar) forced me to :tongue: , and I'm not even built to be a tank on my PFFer.

As for PFF in Cosmics...the lack of innate resistance for the shield layer is a massive problem. Something which I discussed on my suggestion thread for Force (PFF included).

I hope that when it comes time for Force to be reviewed they have time to make PFF a real defensive passive by buffing its mechanics, but we'll see.
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
    These mods would be nice. Right now PFF has no way to be directly healed other than PS. That is a problem. Another problem is that its Regen will often just fail entirely once it is depleted at which point you are HP tanking without any reprieve. My own PFF tank takes various measures to make this work and are ok but they are not my strongest tank by a wide margin.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    These mods would be nice. Right now PFF has no way to be directly healed other than PS. .

Not quite.

PFF is only "healed" by Field Surge.

Protection Field doesn't heal it, just stands in front of it until it's destroyed.

PFF is always going to have this issue re:healing, since allowing it to be healed via conventional means would mean that it could easily become OP, with the amount of healing that healers can pump out (which is kind of necessary given the impacts we are expected to deal with).

I don't think it would be too much to ask for special shield heals mind you...
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    These mods would be nice. Right now PFF has no way to be directly healed other than PS. .

Not quite.

PFF is only "healed" by Field Surge.

Protection Field doesn't heal it, just stands in front of it until it's destroyed.

PFF is always going to have this issue re:healing, since allowing it to be healed via conventional means would mean that it could easily become OP, with the amount of healing that healers can pump out (which is kind of necessary given the impacts we are expected to deal with).

I don't think it would be too much to ask for special shield heals mind you...

Oops, I meant Field Surge. I thought it was called Power Surge because I wasn't looking at it.

I really do not see why it is so OP. All PFF does is provide extra HP for all intents and purposes. You know what the difference between a PFF user with 10K HP and 10K Shield and a Invulnerability user with 20K HP is? One of them wasted a passive slot.

We let healers heal our HP stupid fast so why do their bubbles not count towards PFF? It is just stupid really.