Options

State of the Game

2»

Comments

• Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    zamuelpwe said:

There's at least some interesting cause and effect with soloing. Bursts are less popular than other Alerts. There are people who will complain when that's the daily. Yet I can suggest in channel "maybe we can team up and they'll be done" and people won't, despite the fact that it would get them done quickly. I see other situations like that were teaming will solve a problem and they won't take that option.

Yup. I agree with all the comments. I will say that I have a long-term in game friend that I'll run Mechanon with. He does it frequently enough and it's fun. The only issue is that it's over with pretty quickly. He has it down to a science and so it goes fast.

The burst issue annoys me. Folks have gotten used to bosses that die in seconds. So the burst bosses can actually be a little harder to take down (especially for lowbies). People hate that. They want to be fast.

Personally, I believe CO needs a complete content overhaul. But have zero illusions that will happen. For one the community would have a mini-revolt. They like their super-easy content. Not to mention, the game has limited development resources. Like I said, I'm accepting of where the game is right now. We get a decent amount of development and I get to play super-heroes. Works for me.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited April 2018

The burst issue annoys me. Folks have gotten used to bosses that die in seconds. So the burst bosses can actually be a little harder to take down (especially for lowbies). People hate that. They want to be fast.

People would tolerate slower if the burst rewards weren't worthless.
  • Options
    zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User

Personally, I believe CO needs a complete content overhaul. But have zero illusions that will happen. For one the community would have a mini-revolt. They like their super-easy content. Not to mention, the game has limited development resources. Like I said, I'm accepting of where the game is right now. We get a decent amount of development and I get to play super-heroes. Works for me.

I actually don't think it needs a complete revamp. I think it would help if the Crime Computer got a revamp. It's just that even that will take a ton of work. What I do wonder is if they've found a way to make their basic mission design simpler. It would be nice if the quarterly lockbox and powerframe revamp also came with a new mission.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • Options
    darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User

People would tolerate slower if the burst rewards weren't worthless.
    Radiation rumble folks seem to do all the time. The Pyramid one, hell to the no.
  • Options
    zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    I'm still not actually bothered by Pyramid of Power. If anything, I think it's more interesting than Radiation Rumble but is marred by poor boss choices. Plus, the original On Alert devs thought it was a good idea to only do two different Burst missions when that really wasn't a good idea.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    You'll reach a point in the game's main story stops progressing. It hasn't for years. That's probably the only disappointment I have with the game.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    What even is the game's main story? o3o
    You know, that's a really good question thinking-face_1f914.png​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    grievehartgrievehart Posts: 192 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

I would say the return of Destroyer.

First signs, Black Talon, destroid factory and several little hints spread here and there in missions or lore.
    VB crisis ending
    Nemcon
    Resistance AP
    Nightmare invasion and QWZ warzone.

There are a lot of other cool and important story arcs, but i would say Destroyer is the main one
  • Options
    Well, that got wrapped up nicely o3o he returned and then we farmed him for his clothes.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    On the off-chance this isn't just sarcasm (which, as you're aware, doesn't translate well across cyberspace):

You start off as a newbie hero, facing off against street-level threats like the Westside gangs. By the end of Westside, you've faced your first exceptional threats - the alien Worldburner known as "Ludwig", and the watered-down Death Dragon. Then you're asked to help out with one of two ongoing crises that appear to need a superhuman touch, either the force-bubble and Irradiate attacks at Greenskin Base or the mystically bad weather assaulting Force Station Steelhead. (You can, of course, opt to do both.) After helping resolve those crises, you're asked to help out with other threats looming over those areas. You can get them pretty well pacified after a time; at that point, UNTIL asks for your help with strange happenings on Monster Island.

Pacifying Monster Island, of course, can take quite a long time, especially if you run various side missions (Lemuria, for example, doesn't seem to be part of the main storyline, but is easily available if you're into that sort of thing). Once you've mastered that, you can then return to your old haunts in Millennium City, where as an established hero you're asked by your new friend Dr. Silverback to assist another of his friends, Juryrig, who's come to MC seeking to assist a Vibora Bay club owner.

By the end of those missions, you've inadvertently assisted a major villain in getting hold of a really big macguffin (although frankly it's not your fault - if Caliburn weren't such an arrogant, closemouthed jerk, he could have told you what was up about two missions in). You're then called upon to travel to Vibora Bay, Florida (which looks oddly like parts of Louisiana, but we'll let that slide, okay?) to try to hold off the literal biblical Apocalypse. Ultimately you fail, and the various members of the Champions either die or are corrupted by Therakiel the Half-Angel in the process. In a last-ditch effort to save the world, you and Juryrig work together to complete and power his experimental time machine, and send you back in time about six months (I think) so that you can head off the End of the World before it can really get rolling.

From there, you're supposed to pacify the various gangs and other elements in VB that Therakiel exploited in your future; I have yet to complete that storyline, so I don't really know where it goes from there, or if that just kind of peters out.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Well, that got wrapped up nicely o3o he returned and then we farmed him for his clothes.
    That's Shadow Destroyer from Multifaria though

The REAL Dr.Destroyer is still being obsoleted after the ending of Resistance​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Well the VB stuff is basically wrapped up. You beat the big bad, and if you finished every mission in the zone then daily quests there represent your part in the ongoing fight against those gangs and what not, which I guess become a more or less permanent fixture in the local ecology.

Was Unity before or after VB was added?

Oh also, how do the APs fit in there? And wouldn't the nightmare invasion be the most recent event in the timeline? I noticed that you really only included leveling mission content ( I'm guessing because you know it so well :p )
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    And yet ... we never actually get to fight the Big D himself. Always been a major disappointment to me.

spinnytop said:

First signs, Black Talon, destroid factory and several little hints spread here and there in missions or lore.
    VB crisis ending
    Nemcon
    Resistance AP

There are a lot of other cool and important story arcs, but i would say Destroyer is the main one
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    avianos said:

The REAL Dr.Destroyer is still being obsoleted after the ending of Resistance​​

Yes.
    As far as i know, his only move after Resistance AP was taunting people of Detroit in a broadcast during anniversary event, and sending some Mega Ds to distract us.

And yet ... we never actually get to fight the Big D himself. Always been a major disappointment to me.

Same for me. But maybe it's better this way. As long as he's not farmed on a daily basis, and leave in panties crying in qliphoth like the Shadow usurper, then i suppose he stays badass.
    Tag teaming with him in Resistance was awesome.

I wish a long life to this game, but if things turn bad someday, i hope we'll get some kind of "end of the world" event during the last hours, with a dev coming with a dr Destroyer char and a broken build to kick our asses and kill us all.

• Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    So mug a 20ft man.

I think we have been playing GTA
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

spinnytop said:

VB crisis ending
    Nemcon
    Resistance AP

Some of those are Shadow D not the real thing.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    jonsills said:

Pacifying Monster Island, of course, can take quite a long time, especially if you run various side missions (Lemuria, for example, doesn't seem to be part of the main storyline, but is easily available if you're into that sort of thing).

Actually it turns out the Lemurian presence on MI is not a minor coincidence.
    jonsills said:

Once you've mastered that, you can then return to your old haunts in Millennium City, where as an established hero you're asked by your new friend Dr. Silverback to assist another of his friends, Juryrig, who's come to MC seeking to assist a Vibora Bay club owner.

By the end of those missions, you've inadvertently assisted a major villain in getting hold of a really big macguffin (although frankly it's not your fault - if Caliburn weren't such an arrogant, closemouthed jerk, he could have told you what was up about two missions in). You're then called upon to travel to Vibora Bay, Florida (which looks oddly like parts of Louisiana, but we'll let that slide, okay?) to try to hold off the literal biblical Apocalypse. Ultimately you fail, and the various members of the Champions either die or are corrupted by Therakiel the Half-Angel in the process. In a last-ditch effort to save the world, you and Juryrig work together to complete and power his experimental time machine, and send you back in time about six months (I think) so that you can head off the End of the World before it can really get rolling.

From there, you're supposed to pacify the various gangs and other elements in VB that Therakiel exploited in your future; I have yet to complete that storyline, so I don't really know where it goes from there, or if that just kind of peters out.

The main VB doesn't have a major story. Therakiel is around, but without the relics he had in the Apoc he's no Cosmic threat. Large parts of the story are related to the GoT style politics between the gangs, and helping the local police maintain some semblance of order. Most fun moment for me so far is when you beat up Red Snake. :D
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

Some of those are Shadow D not the real thing.

All in fact.
    Wich is why i choose to say "return of Destroyer" and not return of Dr destroyer.
    From the start, the game talks about Destroyer. The Qularr attack has been triggered by Black talon, a Dr D.'s lackey.
    Dr D. was presumed dead in detroit battle but there are rumors of his return, mysterious sighting of him. But he seems strange, new armor, affinity with magic, something he despised. So npc in game wonder if Dr D. is still alive or if somebody else took his mantle to claim his throne.
    The definitive answer comes in Resistance. The true Dr D. returns here.
    Everything else the game presented you as "the return of destroyer" was in fact the emergence of Shadow Destroyer.
    Qularr attack, destroid factory reactivation, karkaradons base in lemuria, mysterious sightings, all that was Shadow Destroyer actions.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Well the VB stuff is basically wrapped up. You beat the big bad, and if you finished every mission in the zone then daily quests there represent your part in the ongoing fight against those gangs and what not, which I guess become a more or less permanent fixture in the local ecology.

Was Unity before or after VB was added?

Oh also, how do the APs fit in there? And wouldn't the nightmare invasion be the most recent event in the timeline? I noticed that you really only included leveling mission content ( I'm guessing because you know it so well :p )

The APs, the Nightmare Invasion, and other such events aren't part of the "main story", they're Special Crossover Issues that are later ignored by the writers, kind of like the various DC Crises that always seemed to be reset before the year was out. Same for UNITY; it doesn't tell a story with any sort of progression, it's just a group of fights in a more-or-less random order.

The "main story" is a storyline through which your character progresses and, if you're into actually portraying a character, grows. The various missions that aren't part of that storyline can be important to growth as well, but they aren't can't-miss issues of your personal comic, they're more like, say, that weird issue of Action Comics back in the day where some supernatural force organized a superhero-supervillain baseball game. It was fun, sure - but if you never read that issue, you still wouldn't have missed anything about, for instance, the Batman-Joker dynamic.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    What's weird is that to become what he is now Shadow D siphoned energy out of Therakial in the last part of the VB crisis, but we supposedly stopped that from happening but he became what he is now anyway. So in a way the nightmare invasion is a part of the main story, in a weird timey wimey kind of way.
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    I do feel like the nightmare invasion should/does fit into the storyline somewhere... I mean isn't that what the badguys in the QWZ are there for? Attempting to break into champs reality in order to invade it with giant horror chickens and now we've got to occasionally come together to fend them off?

• Options
    spinnytop said:

What's weird is that to become what he is now Shadow D siphoned energy out of Therakial in the last part of the VB crisis, but we supposedly stopped that from happening but he became what he is now anyway.

I think he didn't siphoned anything from therakiel. He just blasts his poor face.
    His empowered form (the one with the strands shoulders looking like wings) is what he looks like when he unleash all powers the kings of edom lend him. That why he can still use it when time is reversed and VB apocalypse canceled.
    beezeeze said:

I do feel like the nightmare invasion should/does fit into the storyline somewhere... I mean isn't that what the badguys in the QWZ are there for?

It is into the main storyline.
    The nightmare invasion, people killed, mayhem and terror caused by horrors and giant chickens in MC during event is what allowed Shadow destroyer to become the Eidolon of destruction.
    Terror siphons in MC absorbed that energy and Terror batteries in QWZ retrieved it for Shadow D. personnal use. Thats why he is giant and so powerfull in QWZ now.

Everything in the video game is canon to the video game universe, missions, events, APs, CSs, unity, everything.
    A lot of things in the video game probably diverge from the pnp universe.
    Even if these two universes have a lot of things in common, they are two separate entities, exactly like walking dead comics and walking dead tv show, or marvel comics and MCU, DC comics and DC animated universe.
    Everything that happen in the video game is canon to the video game universe, and that even if original writers from pnp game do not like it, or even if some events design mess with pnp players roleplay.

So yeah Nightmare invasion, and QWZ are part of the video game universe main storyline. Even if some people prefer to ignore it (it's your absolute right, but it changes nothing) , even if the story told is honestly very minimal and not very good, it's in the video game universe main storyline.

• Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

That's sort of what I mean by the game missions need a revamp. I know there's probably no money for it, but the game needs a really good story editor/content person. I recall when STO got a really good story overhaul a few years ago. It tied up all the Klinglon, Romulan, and Fed story lines quite nicely. Plus all the missions were made re-playable. That plus putting decent rewards in the story arcs made a huge difference. Because people replay the storylines to get complete sets of things.

I know it's a not likely, but I'd like to see the same thing done for CO.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    capspectacularcapspectacular Posts: 12 Arc User
    I've been playing the game on and off for a few years. It was actually my first MMO with Star Trek Online being the only other major MMO game I have played; so, my overall MMO experience is limited. For the most part, I have liked that game but not without a few complaints. I enjoy making new characters and acquiring new costume sets the best, and the play is easy enough. I do dislike repeating the same beginning storyline over and over again, however, and I would like it if there were options to start in different locales, and strangely enough, I think it would be nice if there were more to do on the Westside. I prefer to have my heroes operating in places that match their motif.

The ability to build a nemesis is pretty cool. I would like to be able to pick the nemesis' weapons if he is using weapons, and I think it would be cool to have the option to customize their henchmen, but most that are more requests than complaints. As far is RP and general socializing goes, I don't really do much of that mostly because I am seldom on often enough or long enough to take advantage of them. This is mainly do to the busyness of my real life. For the same reason, I avoid doing missions that require teaming up with a lot of players.

You do have the option of joining super groups. For the most part, the advantage to that is as extra costume slot and the ability to have a shared banking ability. There isn't even an option to design the super HQ, which I think would be cool, but again, that is more a request than a complaint. Overall, I find myself keep coming back and enjoy the game, and I hope it continues to find ways to grow, but from what I have gathered from listening to the community is that the devs have inherited a messy program that is difficult for them to make the necessary tweaks that would really send this game into orbit.