test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Has Anyone Suggested?

Has anyone suggested to Arc to allow themselves to building their own hero on Champions Online with skills of their preference instead of having to get a premade one in the list of options of classes for them? Let us pick the skills we want, not for the game developers to do so. Sure, The Void, The Master, The Behemoth and all that are fine but some of us are about variety....and if variety is not a given the game loses it's fun and all people have left is to play with rhe game's templates and make heroes all day and delete them off and make different ones.

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Seriously? this stupid forum doesn't like it when I post links to the wiki?

http://www.championswiki.com/index.php?title=Archetypes

Maybe it's just when all I post is the link? enh, enjoy.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    tempestorm76tempestorm76 Posts: 90 Arc User
    I am confused... none of my characters are anything but exactly the skills and powers that I chose. It is almost like I had the ability to Free Form the design of my characters. Or is there something to this post that I am simply missing?
  • Options
    nevyn34nevyn34 Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    There are special character slots you can get called Freeform slots. You just have to buy them or subscribe to get them.

There are different tiers of accounts and you have to pay for the better ones. FTP gives you 10 silver archetypes and 1 or 2 basic character slots. If you want to do what you want then you're going to have to give some money to the game.
    Current Roster:

Frostbiter (Freeform Ice DPS)
    Battle Hazard (Unleashed AT)
    Glacial Tyrant (Glacier AT)
    Silver Mantra ( Freeform Single Blade DPS)
    Magnetros (Freeform Heavy Weapons/Lightning Hybrid)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    nevyn34 said:

There are special character slots you can get called Freeform slots. You just have to buy them or subscribe to get them.

There are different tiers of accounts and you have to pay for the better ones. FTP gives you 10 silver archetypes and 1 or 2 basic character slots. If you want to do what you want then you're going to have to give some money to the game.

2 slots.

As FlyingFinn likes to say, it's Free For All, not All For Free.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    wisedoom said:

Has anyone suggested to Arc to allow themselves to building their own hero on Champions Online with skills of their preference instead of having to get a premade one in the list of options of classes for them? Let us pick the skills we want, not for the game developers to do so. Sure, The Void, The Master, The Behemoth and all that are fine but some of us are about variety....and if variety is not a given the game loses it's fun and all people have left is to play with rhe game's templates and make heroes all day and delete them off and make different ones.

OP does know about free form slots right?
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2017

Game needs to advertise it better so this never happens again. I had to spend 5 whole minutes photoshopping this o3o
  • Options
    wisedoomwisedoom Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2017

Seriously? this stupid forum doesn't like it when I post links to the wiki?

http://www.championswiki.com/index.php?title=Archetypes

Maybe it's just when all I post is the link? enh, enjoy.

There shouldn't have to be any premiums. People should have at least the experience to try every class for free, sure have some free ones but let some people play some classes to say like, level ten and if not...level 20. Then let them decide if they want to bjuy it. NO one knows what the premiums classes offers and if they're going to get their money's worth when they buy one. I mean, whose bad idea was that to suggest for someone to buy a premium without letting them having to try it, first? You have a future in selling snake oil if you do that.

• Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    wisedoom said:

There shouldn't have to be any premiums. People should have at least the experience to try every class for free, sure have some free ones but let some people play some classes to say like, level ten and if not...level 20. Then let them decide if they want to bjuy it. NO one knows what the premiums classes offers and if they're going to get their money's worth when they buy one. I mean, whose bad idea was that to suggest for someone to buy a premium without letting them having to try it, first? You have a future in selling snake oil if you do that.

The game is free to play no zones or playable content is blocked off to silver players, you don't really need to buy any costume parts as there is hundreds of parts that you can find in game. They have to make money somehow and that somehow is premium ATs and FF slots. What silvers should have access to is the PTS to try stuff out. It feels kinda odd that Cryptic expects players to PAY THEM for the privilege of doing beta testing for them :P

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    The free archetypes allow you to try out a selection of powers from a few of the various powersets we have. Try out a few of those and get a feel for what works and what doesn't and imagine what kind of characters you could come up with by mashing powers from all the different archetypes together into one character, that is what you get when you have a freefrom character. It is very rare but they have given away free freeform character slots in the past, but the main reason why don't just allow everyone unlimited access to freeforms is that it is the primary reason they have to get anyone to pay for a subscription and they gotta make some money out of this game in order to keep the lights on.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    wisedoom said:

NO one knows what the premiums classes offers

Unless they know how to read. The premium ATs are described and you can see their entire power progression before buying. That's plenty of information to make an informed purchase.
  • Options
    > @wisedoom said:
    > Seriously? this stupid forum doesn't like it when I post links to the wiki?
    >
    > http://www.championswiki.com/index.php?title=Archetypes
    >
    > Maybe it's just when all I post is the link? enh, enjoy.
    >
    >
    > There shouldn't have to be any premiums. People should have at least the experience to try every class for free, sure have some free ones but let some people play some classes to say like, level ten and if not...level 20. Then let them decide if they want to bjuy it. NO one knows what the premiums classes offers and if they're going to get their money's worth when they buy one. I mean, whose bad idea was that to suggest for someone to buy a premium without letting them having to try it, first? You have a future in selling snake oil if you do that.

You understand that the f2p model was added to this game a few years into it’s life? It was a subscription game for years with only a trial to get your feet wet with.
    Current Roster:

• Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    No, nobody has suggested this... yet. I predict that you will now travel back a decade in time so that you can tell the original devs to include a freeform system as one of the main pillars of the entire f’n game.
  • Options
    blockwaveblockwave Posts: 329 Arc User
    Hey I understand the player, happened to me too when I started playing, until someone told me about their « freeform » build, mind blowing when you have no idea what it is, then you pick multiples super cool looking powers whitout thinking about dmg and ****.

• Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    If the Questionte rate is 450 per Zen, just grind up to 2,250,000 Questionites and you can get Free Form free. Free Form slot is sold just 5000 Zen. No one force you to pay real money. o3o
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    gradii wrote: »
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Game needs to advertise it better so this never happens again. I had to spend 5 whole minutes photoshopping this o3o

One of the few posts by spinnytop I want to upvote. shame I cant.
    I want to upvote it for those blazing-fast photoshop skills. That's 30 seconds to load the program, 60 seconds to import the image, 30 seconds to find and click the text tool, 15 seconds per character typed, 30 seconds to save the image afterward. Holy crap HOW CAN ANYONE BE SO DAMNED FAST!?

PS: Post intended for light-hearted fun and humor. If you're feeling butthurt, click here​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="monaahiru">If the Questionte rate is 450 per Zen, just grind up to 2,250,000 Questionites and you can get Free Form free. Free Form slot is sold just 5000 Zen. No one force you to pay real money. o3o</blockquote>

It’ll only take you 281 1/4 days. If you wait for a FF sale it drops to 140 3/5. The $25 looks sane by comparison.
    Post edited by nevyn34 on
    Current Roster:

• Options
    edited December 2017
    double post cause my phone hates quotes
    Current Roster:

• Options
    edited December 2017
    nevyn34 said:

If the Questionte rate is 450 per Zen, just grind up to 2,250,000 Questionites and you can get Free Form free. Free Form slot is sold just 5000 Zen. No one force you to pay real money. o3o

It’ll only take you 281 1/4 days. If you wait for a FF sale it drops to 140 3/5. The $25 looks sane by comparison.

^ good stuff.

Or just buy the slot and support the game you like so much that it's worth complaining about o3o
    Post edited by spinnytop on
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    nevyn34 said:

That's if you only play one character or what? Remember questionite can be pooled between characters. Also you can buy questionite crates that bypass the refine limit by giving you straight questionite. So you can probably cut that time down by a lot.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Also Vigilance rewards REFINED questionite.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Basic accounts get 2 silver slots. So we can cut the rates in half. 140 3/5 for full price FF slot and 70 3/10 days for half price FF slot. That doesn't really count time spent leveling those two slots to 40 so they can actually farm Q. I don't really count Vigilance because it's too easy to miss out on and are the players at that time in their account life buying Q crates? Basic info about this game isn't all that easy to come by. Hell, it took me 2 years of asking to find out that you can just click the Socrates button on the map to leave the mission.

In theory it's totally possible. In practice? How many have done this? Not I.
    Current Roster:

• Options
    It's also really easy not to miss out on the vigilance alerts, so I don't see how that doesn't count. If the character in question participates at cosmics or runs TA they might also randomly get drops worth 500g+, so that factors in to how fast they can get FF slots as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I'm assuming these are new or slightly still squeaky players, which I think is a fair assumption. Vigilance requires them to A) Know about it. B ) Run the Custom Alerts as they come instead of having to wait for one to cycle back and C) have an easy go as a new(ish) player with Forum Malvanum (not too difficult) and Cybermind (lol). Do you really think they're running TA? Not sarcasm, just curious.
    Current Roster:

• Options
    Reading quest information or pressing buttons on the UI to figure out what things do is sometimes too difficult for some people.

• Options
    I guess we better show them to the door. No-one better be sub-par in our town!
    Current Roster:

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    nevyn34 said:

But in golf, being sub-par is a good thing!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    nevyn34 said:

I'm assuming these are new or slightly still squeaky players, which I think is a fair assumption. Vigilance requires them to A) Know about it. B ) Run the Custom Alerts as they come instead of having to wait for one to cycle back and C) have an easy go as a new(ish) player with Forum Malvanum (not too difficult) and Cybermind (lol). Do you really think they're running TA? Not sarcasm, just curious.

We don't really have to assume anything. The players are asking how to get free form without paying, and these are the answers. Whether they're new or not, and whether they've been running this content or even knew about it is irrelevant because it's the answer they're looking for, so now they can start working toward it. Also, the questionite grind doesn't start at 40; there's dailies you can take at least around level 10 that grant questionite.

Also, doesn't Cryptic give out a freeform slot around Christmas? Or was that just once?

biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    nevyn34 said:

No way that is way too harsh. Public floggings maybe.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    nevyn34 said:

I've taken players into TA who were playing less than a month. I have some vivid memories of some of them doing better at it than players who have been playing the game for years.
    A) It's right there on the alerts NPC, I'm sure they'll notice it since it's clearly marked as a quest and CO's quest system and UI are fairly standard.
    B) Is this unique to new players?
    C) They're not in there by themselves and they get as many tries as they like, so even if they get stuck with a string of horrible luck they'll get it eventually.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Or just buy the slot and support the game you like so much that it's worth complaining about o3o
    Technically, you're still supporting the game if you buy your freeform slot via the questionite -> zen exchange.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    aesica said:

Technically, you're still supporting the game if you buy your freeform slot via the questionite -> zen exchange.​​

Good.