test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cosmic snowballing

aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
edited December 2017 in Suggestions Box
There seems to be a lack of a middle ground for the difficult of cosmic fights. This is felt most clearly at Eido, but the other cosmics have the same problem. All the fights have a certain performance bar that your team needs to clear. When your team has a higher performance things snowball quickly into easy mode, but when your team struggles it feels like your being punished for struggling and end up failing.

Of course there are exceptions, but the fights are designed a bit to strongly in a way that promotes this snowballing effect. I would like future content to move away from that a bit.

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Ok... how?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    As an example, fights could have non combat related objectives that give the team time to regroup.

But all in all I don't think it's my place to come up with how to exactly handle the fights. I think the sentiment "try to avoid difficulty snowballing" wasn't given enough attention in the cosmic designs so far. And it is important to voice such concerns long before we get any new content.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    I clicked because I saw "cosmic snowballing." The lack of pictures is disappointing.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    gradii said:

Why don't they just try making combat mechanics which actually work and are fun like plenty of other games do? the CO team could really benefit from researching some of these.​​

Example plz.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Well, let's analyze the concept of "snowballs" a bit.

For Eido it's clear what is meant here. When we don't get those green orbs down, they pop. This kills some people, and debuffs the rest, meaning that the next reds or greens that come out we're going at them with even less potential than we did the ones that popped on us. At this point Eido will regen lots of health until he goes back to the phase where he summons portals. Now we have portals, greens show up during portals, people are getting killed by portal beasts, greens aren't dpsed enough and they pop. It becomes an extremely difficult situation to recover from.

Kiga doesn't really have a snowball ( odd considering he's Mr. Cold ). Each time we screw up it doesn't really lead to a downward slope of decreasing ability to recover. If we mess up on the Ice Tomb, everybody dies. If someone dies to storm, the fight just gets longer, but we're still in the same shape we were before. If dogs get loose, it's a game over unless that can be recovered very quickly, and if it is recovered then we're right back on course. Even if the tank goes down, all that's likely to happen is either a game over or a lengthening of the fight, but nothing really changes to disadvantage us. The period where dogs get loose and start eating everyone can feel like a snowball situation, but in actually it's just an immediate game over.

For Ape, hitting the hearts just lengthens the fight. People dying to his aoe, fire patches, or fireball also just lengthens the fight by temporarily lowering our damage output. What can lead to a snowball is if the tank goes down and Ape's position goes bad, in which case hearts will spawn too close to him. However the way to fix this is one of the oldest mmo tropes in the book, "stop dps and let the tank regain aggro", so no real issue there.

At Dino again missing a DPS check just makes the fight longer. Folks not blocking well and ending up dead or stunned during the dps check also doesn't really count as a snowball, because it's entirely temporary and the only end condition it leads to is a missed DPS check, which just makes the fight longer. The only real snowball here is if either of the tanks go down. However if there aren't people above a given "skill threshold" present then that's likely to just lead to a swift game over rather than a disadvantaged period of recovery attempts. Again the period of time where the Dinos are going around eating everyone can feel like a snowball situation, but it is again just an extended game over.

Overall Kiga, Ape and Dino don't really have any excessive amount of potential "snowballing" and the conditions that lead to what they do have are very basic to the trinity structure of the game. So really that leaves us with Eido. While we are setting crazy records like 4:20 in clearing him atm, that's with a group that largely consists of people that have cleared the "skill threshold" the OP mentions. However, would it be appropriate to design content that is meant to be only clearable by those people without such problems to solve? The idea that only players who clear a certain skill threshold can clear certain content in video games is not a particularly unusual one, and in this case even with this in place the intended audience for the content is burning through it. I don't think a design goal is to make Eido more accessable to people below that skill threshold, so I'm not certain that removing this skill check is really a good idea. After all, even with all this in place we do sometimes manage to recover even from that nightmare.
    Post edited by spinnytop on
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

Overall Kiga, Ape and Dino don't really have any excessive amount of potential "snowballing" and the conditions that lead to what they do have are very basic to the trinity structure of the game..

Those don't have strong mechanics where if your team struggles it gets more exponentially more difficult, but they still have it the other way. They all have a performance bar, and if your team clears that bar they all snowball into easy mode.

In future content I think the devs should think a bit more how the fights keep at certain difficulty level even if all the damage checks are made and you block the big AoEs or the lava under your feet. I think Eido was a good first attempt at that, but the Eido approach has its own problems and is still (to) strongly dependent on damage checks.
  • Options
    Well, if your suggestion is "The devs should think of new ways to make combat more consistently challenging" then I have full confidence in telling you that they probably spend a good amount of time doing exactly that. It is their job after all, and from what we've seen it's clear this bunch takes their jobs seriously. Also I'm sure the whole thing where one week we're calling content impossible and the next we have it on farm is something they've noticed.

Like I've said in the past, it seems that the more specific a suggestion is the more useful it is. Very general suggestions don't give them much to work with. Plus a lot of the current issues of snowballing into easiness is because the balance pass isn't complete and we keep finding ways to exploit what hasn't been reworked yet. I wouldn't call a bunch of people using the Fist AT as qualifying for "passing the skill threshold".
  • Options
    I have been quite specific, my suggestion is to spend more effort trying to avoid difficulty snowballing when developing future content. I trust our devs to be able to make new mechanics without me having to spoonfeed them.

Going from impossible to easymode farming, by improving the team setup or organization slightly, is exactly why I've made this thread. So while the devs might already try to keep fights at a consistent difficulty, that hasn't worked out great so far.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I think a Cosmic designed along the lines of the giant robot for High Noon would be super awesome.

There are stages, jobs, roles, and a variety of mechanics, including a giant but non-lethal AoE (the massive repel).

I am looking forward to the next Cosmic.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    blockwaveblockwave Posts: 329 Arc User
    High Noon gives a role to pretty much every role possible, off-tank,cc,healer,dps,main tank.
    It’s a cool fight just for that.

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I'm not sure what a non-snowballing but still possible to fail fight would look like. In general, you can enforce "sorry, you aren't good enough to beat this fight" by either resetting the entire fight (wipe), or resetting to an earlier stage in the fight (heals, etc). It's possible that full wipes are preferable to the partial resets we get in CO (that's what the link Gradii gave recommends, and there's something to be said for that), but it's the opposite of how I understand the OP.

There's pretty much four ways to lose a fight:
    • Immediate Fail: you do something wrong, and you wipe immediately, resetting the fight. Examples: Failure to kill Living Fire/Ice in Fire and Ice, dogs going rogue at Kigatilik, ice tomb detonations at Kigatilik.
    • Cascading Fail: you do something wrong, and as a result of your mistake other things go wrong, likely resulting in a wipe in a minute or two. Example: at Eidolon, a bunch of characters die in a Red phase, and Eidolon heals, causing him to trigger a Yellow phase. Ressed characters are down dps, so Yellow orbs are still active when a Green phase triggers, and rampaging adds cause the Green phase to also fail. Somewhere in this process the healers and/or tank die.
    • Slow Fail: you do something wrong, and as a result of your mistake the fight resets to an earlier stage. You can continue fighting, but if you make too many mistakes, the fight never actually progresses. Examples: healing mechanics at all of the Cosmics.
    • Timer Fail: you fail to beat a timed fight. Examples: of the regular Cosmics, only Eidolon has a timer at all, but most event cosmics have timers.
    Which of those failure modes is most acceptable?
  • Options
    blockwave said:

High Noon gives a role to pretty much every role possible, off-tank,cc,healer,dps,main tank.

It’s a cool fight just for that.

Yeah, it was the first thing where I actually got into tanking. I started showing up with Tanya and tanking one of the mini-bosses.

Well, I was actually trying to kill them. But hitting them in the face repeatedly is a great way to build aggro. :D Since I was typically soloing them I only managed to take off a third or so of their health. Well, one particularly long run I managed to get Fred down to half-ish.

Regen tanks are great for fights where you don't want to have a healer heal the tank constantly. Obviously it requires a fight where the tank can avoid dying without a healer, but hey.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    *deleted*

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    gradii said:

Oh god anything but the awful high noon where not everyone even gets to fight the boss.​​

Everyone who wants to fight the boss gets to fight the boss. When I show up with a big tank, or DPS, I go and fight the boss. When I show up with an aura-based support toon, off-tank, or CCer, I go deal with towers.

Doesn't it work that way for you?

• Options
    I guess someone doesn't understand that not everyone even wants to fight the big boss. Hell, I wish there were more towers.

Anyways, back to the OP, the "snowballing uphill" issue is something that hasn't been solved in all the time that games have existed, even before they went digital. Simply put, once a player has figured an encounter out that's that, there's really no way to bring them back. In group based content, having a bunch of these players is always going to yield dramatically different results than having a bunch of players who haven't figured it out. Whether you're playing dark souls or building a bridge, this holds true.

So long as encounters require skillful behaviour to pass through them, there will eventually be a point at which players have internalized that behaviour. In fact the "snowballing upward" effect can't really be considered a problem, as it is the reward that players enjoy for having mastered an encounter. The way that games generally solve this issue is by having something for those players to continue on to so that they don't stick around and carry all the new players through it.

So the specific solution would be tiered instanced content. Make even more difficult content with new exclusive rewards where players can control who shows up, and make it time consuming enough that the players who are up to that level will not want to return to the previous content. It has to be instanced in order to prevent unqualified players from showing up, and it has to be time-consuming to ensure that players must focus on this content and have no time for the previous content. The rewards would also need to exclusive to this content to ensure that qualified players are doing only this content to get them.

Preferably this would still be scaling content so that the number of players could be variable just like with cosmics so that everyone who is qualified can come, and so the run can happen without needing to get a specific number of people.

This would then help to keep the challenge in each tier of content more consistent. It would also make the skill growth of players more consitent than it is now since it removes the ability of people to get dragged along by players who have already mastered the content, as this generally stunts the growth of the players being dragged.
  • Options
    Yeah, really. I wish I had a full record of the lengths the devs of Avengers Alliance went to to try and keep players from soloing group bosses. The devs gave you full participation credit as long as you did 5% damage. But... the better players, myself included, would go and try as hard as they could to kill them by themselves.

I did it, in part, because I knew not all of my allies had the ability to do so. In part it was because I just love curb stomping things.

Yeah, the devs kept finding new ways to annoy the players. But we kept finding new ways to smash faces.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    gradii said:

When I show up with a big tank, or DPS, I go and fight the boss. When I show up with an aura-based support toon, off-tank, or CCer, I go deal with towers.
    Doesn't it work that way for you?

Absolutely not. WHenever I go to fight the big boss not enoguh people are covering towers and we all die.​​
    The solution seems obvious. :p

Tank Fred to death!
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    gradii said:

A Cascading fail is superior, and the slow fail is the absolute worst, with the instant fail in close second.​​

I agree about cascading fails. That's one thing I like about Eido, it can potentially layer several failures on top of one another to create a situation that's extremely difficult to recover from.

As for slow fails, the cosmics don't really have those. There's nothing you can do early on at any of them that is going to lead to a long fight that is impossible win. The closest thing would be the dogs at Kiga, but it's not going to take very long for that to kill everyone. In fact, if someone can screw up the dogs but keep them controlled enough that the fight continues for a significant amount of time then it's feasible that they can either keep that up for the whole fight or even recover from it.

Instant fails would actually do one thing that that article you posted says is a good idea. Rather than slow fails, our cosmics will end up in a situation where the players aren't making any progress. Doesn't qualify for a slow fail since it's not going to lead to a fail state, and in fact at any given moment players could show up that quickly make the fight successful. For the "no progress" situation, having the cosmics just kill everyone after a certain amount of failures would solve the issue. For example, after a certain number of failed dps checks, Dino enrages. Ape and Kiga could both have an enrage timer that ticks up when they're above a certain amount of health, so if they're constantly getting healed due to player mistakes then eventually they're going to enrage and kill everyone.

This would let the players know that it's just not gonna happen and that they need to change something if they want to succeed, rather than just flailing hopelessly against the boss for a long time. This wouldn't necessarily require that the boss go on cooldown either. Just resetting the fight so that folks can address the problem, switch roles, call in reinforcements, or see if somebody doesn't know what they're doing wrong. Players generally won't stop the fight like this themselves so some sort of prompting from the game would be helpful.
  • Options
    I think the cosmics might be improved by replacing most of the healing with offensive boosts when a check is failed. For example, failing a dps check on Teleiosaurus could disable block for 3s and reset the cooldown on spine burst (so everyone gets to eat an unblocked spine burst. Which is technically survivable but...).
  • Options
    edited December 2017

I think the cosmics might be improved by replacing most of the healing with offensive boosts when a check is failed. For example, failing a dps check on Teleiosaurus could disable block for 3s and reset the cooldown on spine burst (so everyone gets to eat an unblocked spine burst. Which is technically survivable but...).

That seems like a bit much. One failed check shouldn't end in a fail state. It should take several failed checks to cause something like that to happen. After all it's not so uncommon to have a failed check here or there but still have a relatively timely victory. This would mean that the preceeding failed checks would still need some other sort of punishment.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

That seems like a bit much. One failed check shouldn't end in a fail state.

Well, perhaps some other nasty effect instead, but it has to be pretty nasty (or have cascading nasty effects) -- if you're avoiding use of healing effects, the only other way to cause failure is to cause a wipe. This can be a single check that results in a fail state (e.g. tomb explosions at Kiga) or one can result in a fail state due to interaction with other effects.

Incidentally, somewhat opposite from this, one solution to the original problem posed above is boss mechanics that are based on damage taken instead of timers (or a hybrid of the two), meaning the high dps group that's burning through everything has to deal with special mechanics more often than the slower group.
  • Options
    gradii said:

Why would you punish players for having higher dps? in most games those players are rewarded by having to do LESS mechanics.​​

We're trying to answer the OP. One of the snowballing consequences, on the positive side, is that once a Cosmic fight is figured out, folks bring better and more optimized builds, refine the mechanics, and blaze through the hardest fight in the game in under five minutes.

A mechanic that makes speed runs harder would be an impediment to "positive" snowballing.

• Options

spinnytop said:

That seems like a bit much. One failed check shouldn't end in a fail state.

Well, perhaps some other nasty effect instead, but it has to be pretty nasty (or have cascading nasty effects) -- if you're avoiding use of healing effects, the only other way to cause failure is to cause a wipe. This can be a single check that results in a fail state (e.g. tomb explosions at Kiga) or one can result in a fail state due to interaction with other effects.
    Maybe a buff that gives the boss a shield instead of HP regen? possibly have the shield do something like boosting damage while active?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

gradii said:

Why would you punish players for having higher dps? in most games those players are rewarded by having to do LESS mechanics.​​

We're trying to answer the OP. One of the snowballing consequences, on the positive side, is that once a Cosmic fight is figured out, folks bring better and more optimized builds, refine the mechanics, and blaze through the hardest fight in the game in under five minutes.

A mechanic that makes speed runs harder would be an impediment to "positive" snowballing.
    There IS a fight that already does this... sort of. NemCon's boss fight. The boss becomes invulnerable and starts a minion summoning phase based on damage taken.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    As I see it, the biggest "problem" with the fights we have now is that with enough dps you can overpower them, but with a just a little less dps they are impossible. Once you fully clear the required dps bar things are quickly getting very very easy. The only way to avoid that with the current setup is to constant keep adjusting dps checks so that they are always exactly difficult enough for the "playerbase". Problem is of course there is a widely varying performance between teams and over time.

A few examples to how that can be avoided
    - add more dynamic difficulty scaling
    - make the combat performance bars "fuzzier"
    - add more non-combat mechanics to keep a certain challenge level even after the combat performance bars have been cleared
    Post edited by aiqa on
  • Options
    aiqa said:

As I see it, the biggest "problem" with the fights we have now is that with enough dps you can overpower them

Only Eidolon and Teleiosaurus have meaningful dps checks; you can take out tombs in Kigatilik with two dps who are paying attention to what they're doing, and you only need dps at Qwyjibo to deal with CC mistakes.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Sometimes tombs even get killed accidentally! Cylinder/cone maintains seem to do that a lot.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited December 2017

aiqa said:

As I see it, the biggest "problem" with the fights we have now is that with enough dps you can overpower them

Only Eidolon and Teleiosaurus have meaningful dps checks; you can take out tombs in Kigatilik with two dps who are paying attention to what they're doing, and you only need dps at Qwyjibo to deal with CC mistakes.
    That doesn't exactly make the situation any better. Those fights just have the dps bar so low they are almost always in easy mode.
  • Options
    gkvector#0573 gkvector Posts: 11 Arc User
    > @aesica said:
    > I clicked because I saw "cosmic snowballing." The lack of pictures is disappointing.
    >
    > ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)​​

I clicked because it's the Holiday Season and I saw "snowball" O_o
  • Options

> @aesica said:

> I clicked because I saw "cosmic snowballing." The lack of pictures is disappointing.

>

> ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)​​

I clicked because it's the Holiday Season and I saw "snowball" O_o

Well... Kigatilik does not have snowballs. He prefers Ice Tombs. Qwyjibo likes balls... made of lava. Teliosaurus... smashes anything even remotely round.... especially skulls. Eidolon had a fondness for magic orbs... that blow up.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    gradii said:

But it would be worse than the snowballing itself. Right now players are rewarded for performing well with faster runs, this would literally punish good performance.​​

Those players are still rewarded with a faster run. Personally I welcome this type of challenge. Eido is already becoming a bit boring because of how consistently and quickly we clear him, and I would love this sort of reactive difficulty where the harder you go the harder the boss goes. Trust me when I say that the Eido crowd isn't going to be thinking about toning down their damage output to make the fight easier and longer. If anything people would keep trying to crank their dps up even more just to brag about how we still beat him after making him insanely difficult.
  • Options
    blockwaveblockwave Posts: 329 Arc User
    Not sure if it’s in the subject, but increase the HP of Frost Tombs, and add an heart to ape that needs to be taken down or he gets a buff in dmg,resistance,etc. Need some challenge for cosmics, it’s just a grindfest right now.

• Options
    Not sure that would solve the specific issue the OP brings up.
  • Options
    I think additions to Cosmics (or a new one entirely) that had some non-combat mechanics (especially non-DPS, non-healing) would be really welcome.

This could include:
    * searching for clickie items
    * traveling somewhere quickly
    * using environmental cues to do a quick "puzzle" (like click or move items in a particular order)
    * saving NPCs
    * dodging environmental effects

There are encounters in game that already use these mechanics. I would like seeing them with a Cosmic

• Options
    nevyn34nevyn34 Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited December 2017

I think additions to Cosmics (or a new one entirely) that had some non-combat mechanics (especially non-DPS, non-healing) would be really welcome.

This could include:
    * using environmental cues to do a quick "puzzle" (like click or move items in a particular order)
    * saving NPCs

There are encounters in game that already use these mechanics. I would like seeing them with a Cosmic

That's pretty much Elder Scrolls Online. The gameplay there turned into "Don't stand in stupid". Just patches of death you had to avoid or dodge roll out of. Not extremely hard but it was challenging. We have the block mechanic but I don't know about dodge rolling.

Current Roster:

Frostbiter (Freeform Ice DPS)
    Battle Hazard (Unleashed AT)
    Glacial Tyrant (Glacier AT)
    Silver Mantra ( Freeform Single Blade DPS)
    Magnetros (Freeform Heavy Weapons/Lightning Hybrid)
  • Options
    nevyn34nevyn34 Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    gradii said:

nevyn34 wrote: »

This could include:

* saving NPCs

That's pretty much Elder Scrolls Online. The gameplay there turned into "Don't stand in stupid". Just patches of death you had to avoid or dodge roll out of. Not extremely hard but it was challenging. We have the block mechanic but I don't know about dodge rolling.

I've played ESO and there were other mechanics. you must not have got far enough in the game.​​

Depends on what you call far. I have about 420ish CP and was running vet dungeons with my guild. But enough about me, how you doin?

Edit: Arrgh what is up with hitting the quote button? $%^&
    Current Roster:

Frostbiter (Freeform Ice DPS)
    Battle Hazard (Unleashed AT)
    Glacial Tyrant (Glacier AT)
    Silver Mantra ( Freeform Single Blade DPS)
    Magnetros (Freeform Heavy Weapons/Lightning Hybrid)
  • Options
    Oh oh someone talked about another game Dazee played and triggered him again ( odd since that person was saying the mechanics in question were good ). Anyways...
    nevyn34 said:

No dodge rolling. Blocking, movement powers and travel powers are what we have instead of i-frame rolls. The movement powers would be the closest, though they don't have any i-frames and the fact that they don't update the position of your hitbox until the end of the power makes them iffy for actual dodging. But hey who needs to dodge when you have super speed? :D
  • Options

This could include:
    * saving NPCs

This is what I like about the cowboy robot OM and Nightmare Invasion OM. both of them have a feature where you have to do something other than "tank and spank".
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters