• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
  • Options
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    "So why should people get good?"

Because it's fun to do things you're good at.

There's a lot of material on the subject of fulfillment and happiness...and one of most consistent themes is the above statement. One of my favorite examples of discourse regarding the topic is this highly cited bestselling book:
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13525945-so-good-they-can-t-ignore-you

"Spending time with organic farmers, venture capitalists, screenwriters, freelance computer programmers, and others who admitted to deriving great satisfaction from their work, Newport uncovers the strategies they used and the pitfalls they avoided in developing their compelling careers.
    Matching your job to a preexisting passion does not matter, he reveals. Passion comes after you put in the hard work to become excellent at something valuable, not before. "

In fact, when it comes to games, it would not be a stretch to sum up the act of progression through continued play as "getting good". In that light, you might also re-frame the question to be: "So why should people play games?"

Because it's fun to play games.

• Options
    A very basic aspect of video games is the joy of mastery. It feels good to figure something out and become good at it, and an important part of this is that the thing is not easy - if you can get good at it without trying then you'll never feel that satisfaction. Not everybody feels it as strongly, but it would certainly be ridiculous for someone to try to deny that it is a huge and important aspect of video games. Someone would definitely look like a jack **** if in the end their opinion on the matter boiled down to "people are having fun in ways I don't like and I want them to stop".
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Someone would definitely look like a jack **** if in the end their opinion on the matter boiled down to "people are having fun in ways I don't like and I want them to stop".

Eh, that's actually pretty standard in MMOs, in particular for difficulty issues -- there tends to be an objection to other people getting things with less effort than it took you, and conversely, also an objection to other people getting stuff you don't get.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    I don't know what's going on here other than the fact that I want to strangle the guy in that video. (Or really anything to make him stop talking)​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Jim's just reading stupid crap people post on forums as an appropriately snobby character. The obnoxious is on purpose.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    aesica wrote: »
    I don't know what's going on here other than the fact that I want to strangle the guy in that video. (Or really anything to make him stop talking)
    The fact you didn't realize this is a satire, a really obvious satire and a Take That to Snobby and hardore gamers who Jim dress up as an aristocrat in order to impersonate and mock them, worries me​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    avianos said:

The fact you didn't realize this is a satire, a really obvious satire and a Take That to Snobby and hardore gamers who Jim dress up as an aristocrat in order to impersonate and mock them, worries me​​

Poe's Law.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    scildtrumascildtruma Posts: 76 Arc User
    Thing is with CO is different people are trying to be "good" at different things. PvP, costumes, or RP. Everyone's got a thing. The dude in the video looked so revolting I couldn't watch. I don't let tools like that guy define my gaming experience. Being good for me is walking away from the game feeling good about what I did. Not how someone else defines my play.
    My lvl 40 champs in random order.

=Pieces of Stuff=Knock Dead=Cruel Yule=Cremator=Toys from the Attic=
    =Gnosis Arcanum=Twenty Seven=Kama D=Critic=Creep Freeze=
    =Mangled Man=G.I. John Doe=2D.=Lung the punch drunk monk=
    =By the sword=Scild Truma=Shadow Puppet=Lu-7=Erysichthon=
    =Nimravid=Buzzard Kill=Lorenzini=Schema=

• Options
    scildtrumascildtruma Posts: 76 Arc User
    gradii said:

scildtruma wrote: »

Thing is with CO is different people are trying to be "good" at different things. PvP, costumes, or RP. Everyone's got a thing. The dude in the video looked so revolting I couldn't watch. I don't let tools like that guy define my gaming experience. Being good for me is walking away from the game feeling good about what I did. Not how someone else defines my play.

The sad thing is he's making FUN of people who try and define other peoples game experience and that simple fact went over your head.​​

It didn't. Number 1 I didn't watch the video as I stated but we pretty much have all experienced these types of players. Just giving my very humble opinion on the topic.
    My lvl 40 champs in random order.

=Pieces of Stuff=Knock Dead=Cruel Yule=Cremator=Toys from the Attic=
    =Gnosis Arcanum=Twenty Seven=Kama D=Critic=Creep Freeze=
    =Mangled Man=G.I. John Doe=2D.=Lung the punch drunk monk=
    =By the sword=Scild Truma=Shadow Puppet=Lu-7=Erysichthon=
    =Nimravid=Buzzard Kill=Lorenzini=Schema=

• Options
    edited October 2017
    avianos said:

Here's the thing though. While the fact that it's satire is instantly apparent... that doesn't change how annoying and hard to watch it is. Jim could have been a lot less annoying about how he.... oh wait, we're talking about Jimquisition, no he couldn't ^_^
    gradii said:

The sad thing is he's making FUN of people who try and define other peoples game experience and that simple fact went over your head.​​

Yes, he's making fun of the people who think all gaming experiences should cater to them and their notion of fun. So... you know. You.

So it didn't go over scild's head... but it apparently went over yours.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    kamokami said:

"So why should people get good?"

Because it's fun to do things you're good at.

alert pugging is worlds different when you walk in knowing you can solo it. The most memorable alert I ever did was this bank heist where I and this squishy Batman wannabe ended up 2-manning it, because everyone else left the first time they got KOed. We won anyways.

I'll be honest... I learned a lot about tanking in that alert. Mainly because it was tank or get a team-wipe...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    One of the basic rules of humor - if you have to explain your joke, it isn't funny.

That's why I only tell quantum-physics jokes in select company.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options

alert pugging is worlds different when you walk in knowing you can solo it. The most memorable alert I ever did was this bank heist where I and this squishy Batman wannabe ended up 2-manning it, because everyone else left the first time they got KOed. We won anyways.

I've been in that situation too and it's awesome. I guess I'm weird cause I wish people would leech grab alerts more when I join them :D
    jonsills said:

I'm sure that even if I didn't get it it'd be more entertaining than anything Jimquisition has ever produced u3u
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    avianos wrote: »
    The fact you didn't realize this is a satire, a really obvious satire and a Take That to Snobby and hardore gamers who Jim dress up as an aristocrat in order to impersonate and mock them, worries me
    I know it's satire--something I normally love. What I meant was that his presentation of said satire annoys me for some reason, but that's probably the point.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    Yeah I made it about 20 seconds in. The next 20 seconds were spent in silent regret, and the next 20 minutes were spent in serious reflection about the kinds of life choices I’ve made that would lead me to having watched 20 seconds of that video.

So, I give it a 0/10 for entertainment, and 7/10 for self-improvement.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,067 Arc User
    People should "gid gud" if they want to pursue self improvement in a video game of their choice.

If not, there are other things to do.

If you view self improvement as "get better gear" but don't like how CO has pretty much gated gear behind open world and instanced team content which is of a different difficulty than the rest of the game, then you will have an issue with how everything in CO is panning out.

That issue you have can either be through choice or the unfortunate circumstance of not being within a good time zone or having a flexible schedule which allows you to stay on and run with the majority who run that content. Another problem is if you are comparing yourself to other people (not only is that bloody annoying) but it doesn't always breed a "I'll work to get better!" attitude but can breed negativity and toxicity, which when expressed...well...I'm sure we've seen examples too numerous to talk about.

If you view self improvement as "get better costumes or improve costumes" that is something everyone can do really, provided they are willing to farm for costumes or buy them.

If you view self improvement as "RP better" then you can do that through practice and RPing with other people.

You can either work to pursue your desired self improvement using the means the game provides...or put your energy elsewhere.

Basic thing to remember is that "self improvement" is subjective.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    jonsills wrote: »
    One of the basic rules of humor - if you have to explain your joke, it isn't funny.

What do a priest and a Higgs-boson have in common? They both give mass!

A photon checks into a hotel and the bellhop asks, "can I take your luggage?" The photon replies, "I don't have any. I'm traveling light."

A neutron walks into a bar and orders a drink. "How much do I owe for this?" he asks the bartender. The bartender replies, "for you, no charge."

Two men walk into a bar. "I'll have some H2O!" says the first one. "I'll have some H2O too!" says the second one. The second one dies.

Two atoms bump into each other. "Oh no, I think I lost an electron!" one says. "Are you sure?" asks the other. "Yeah. I'm positive!"

Gold looks into a mirror and admires his good looks. "AU yeah!"

Schrodinger is driving down the street when a cop pulls him over and searches the vehicle. "Sir, did you know you have a dead hooker in your trunk?" the cop asks him. Schrodinger replies, "Well, now I do!"

Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip? To get to the same side!

Why do mathematicians make good carpenters? Because they work well with natural logs!

Oxygen asks Potassium out on a date. It turned out OK.

- - -

...okay so they're not all quantum physics jokes. Anyway guess I'd better stop. :D​​
  • Options
    Heisenberg is driving along in his new sports car when a cop pulls him over. "Sir," the officer asks, "do you know how fast you were going?"

"No," Heisenberg replies proudly, "but I know exactly where I am!"

"You were exceeding the speed limit by precisely 57 miles per hour, sir."

"Great!" Heisenberg shouts angrily. "Now I'm lost!"

• Options
    Your momma is so ugly stuff running from her accounts for the missing 90% of matter in the universe!

Your momma is so fat her first diet is going to be called the Big Crunch!

Your momma is so fat her mouth is called the Event Horizon!

Your momma is so ugly Schrodinger's Cat was all-dead just from looking at her!

Your momma is so fat even neutrinos can't get through her!

Your momma is so dumb she thinks this statement is false!

...Ok, I'll see myself out now.
  • Options
    Now for some low-effort crap:

Is that a hadron in your pants or are you just meson around?

Supercollider? I hardly know her!

16 sodium atoms walk into a bar...followed by Batman.

What do you call a tire made out of iron? A ferrous wheel

Oxygen and Magnesium go out on a date. OMg!

ECPhYZJ.png​​
  • Options
    edited October 2017

People should "gid gud" if they want to pursue self improvement in a video game of their choice.

If not, there are other things to do.

If you view self improvement as "get better gear" but don't like how CO has pretty much gated gear behind open world and instanced team content which is of a different difficulty than the rest of the game, then you will have an issue with how everything in CO is panning out.

That issue you have can either be through choice or the unfortunate circumstance of not being within a good time zone or having a flexible schedule which allows you to stay on and run with the majority who run that content. Another problem is if you are comparing yourself to other people (not only is that bloody annoying) but it doesn't always breed a "I'll work to get better!" attitude but can breed negativity and toxicity, which when expressed...well...I'm sure we've seen examples too numerous to talk about.

If you view self improvement as "get better costumes or improve costumes" that is something everyone can do really, provided they are willing to farm for costumes or buy them.

If you view self improvement as "RP better" then you can do that through practice and RPing with other people.

You can either work to pursue your desired self improvement using the means the game provides...or put your energy elsewhere.

Basic thing to remember is that "self improvement" is subjective.

That was a very well written and informed response to what is essentially a clown crying about how some people have different opinions than him o3o
    jonsills said:

Heisenberg is driving along in his new sports car when a cop pulls him over. "Sir," the officer asks, "do you know how fast you were going?"

"No," Heisenberg replies proudly, "but I know exactly where I am!"

"You were exceeding the speed limit by precisely 57 miles per hour, sir."

"Great!" Heisenberg shouts angrily. "Now I'm lost!"

Given all the other jokes people posted in this thread I feel like you deserve some kind of big shiny belt for that.
  • Options

Your momma is so ugly stuff running from her accounts for the missing 90% of matter in the universe!

Your momma is so fat her first diet is going to be called the Big Crunch!

Your momma is so fat her mouth is called the Event Horizon!

Your momma is so ugly Schrodinger's Cat was all-dead just from looking at her!

Your momma is so fat even neutrinos can't get through her!

Your momma is so dumb she thinks this statement is false!

...Ok, I'll see myself out now.

Yo momma so slow, her de Broglie wavelength is visible at macro frequencies!

• Options
    And now you need a second belt.
  • Options
    gradii wrote: »
    CHEESE!

FOR EVERYONE!​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options

And now you need a second belt.

Jonsils, one of the few champions to hold two belts at the same time, in the same division... and nobody's sure if there was ever even a contender for either of them.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    git
    - A pubescent kid who thinks it's totally cool to act like a moron on the internet, only because no one can actually reach through the screen and punch their lights out.

gud
    -Ordet “gud”, fornsvenska guþ, isländska: goð, gotiska guþ, fornsax., forneng., eng. o. fris. god, fornhögtyska got, tyska gott, är ett gemensamt germanskt ord av omdiskuterad ursprunglig betydelse.

:#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    In Champions Online? No reason at all to "git gud" game is way too easy. Gitting Gud here is just OCD.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    git
    - A pubescent kid who thinks it's totally cool to act like a moron on the internet, only because no one can actually reach through the screen and punch their lights out.
    - A version control system for software development.
    Fixed. :)​​
  • Options
    nepht said:

In Champions Online? No reason at all to "git gud" game is way too easy. Gitting Gud here is just OCD.

Not sure where you got OCD from... that's more of a completionist thing. Here it's more about overwhelming domination. Like putting on power armor, grabbing a mini-gun, getting your pack of cyborg dogs together and heading out to pick a fight with some middle schoolers so you can get a cool new shirt ouo
  • Options
    ZJENEgX.jpg​​
  • Options
    5 hours later... the half naked guy stumbles into the tavern half-dead. The bartender asks him if he's ok and he says "you should see the other guy".

Cut to the street outside where his sword is somehow going in the back of his armor and out the top of his helmet.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    Actually what had happened is that the armor guy raised his arms to swing his sword and his shoulder spikes stabbed his head from both sides and he died on the spot.
  • Options
    Oooohhh.. good one. :)
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

Not sure where you got OCD from... that's more of a completionist thing. Here it's more about overwhelming domination. Like putting on power armor, grabbing a mini-gun, getting your pack of cyborg dogs together and heading out to pick a fight with some middle schoolers so you can get a cool new shirt ouo

Utterly pointless if you ask me. This game is like pick 3 OP moves that work with each other. Spam the three moves one after another until bad guy falls down. Out perform all the players that put imagination into their build. Was doing nothing but that during the Halloween event go so bored I'm taking a couple of weeks off to build trolling devices in Second Life.

Think about that. CO's broken mechanics has made me go back to trolling Second Life. Setting digital fire to brony sims...its the simple things in life.

They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    nepht said:

Utterly pointless if you ask me. This game is like pick 3 OP moves that work with each other. Spam the three moves one after another until bad guy falls down. Out perform all the players that put imagination into their build.

That's changed pretty significantly since 2015. Is that the last time you actually played any content? >w>
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    nepht said:

Utterly pointless if you ask me. This game is like pick 3 OP moves that work with each other. Spam the three moves one after another until bad guy falls down. Out perform all the players that put imagination into their build.

Nobody that I know would still be playing if this was the case. It's easy to reduce anything people do down to meaningless mechanical actions. "Turned on computer, pressed keys for 2 hours, so bored I now watch bad movies on netflix instead"...not really a good description of what you experienced for 2 hours right?

But ok let's roll with it....sure for that char you might spam 3 moves. But if you play a different role you'll spam 3 other moves. There are at the very very least 3 different roles to play and each one has at the super duper minimum 2 very different playstyles and considerations.

That's a good 18 buttons total you could be pressing....all for just one piece of content. FUN!

Also this whole thing about being able to do well means you can't use your concept or theme has got to stop. It's inaccurate and supports the very concept it's meant to fight. Far from impossible, it's being done consistently and by decent % of people. In every parse there is literally only 1-2 people total who are just running a pure meta build depending on if I'm fighting or not...the rest of 20-50 people are all "using their imagination". And of that total pool of 20-50, 5-10 players are at the top end of damage dealt, damage healed, damage tanked.

Performant concept builds are what most people who do well run.
    Post edited by kamokami on
  • Options
    kamokami said:

But ok let's roll with it....sure for that char you might spam 3 moves. But if you play a different role you'll spam 3 other moves. There are at the very very least 3 different roles to play and each one has at the super duper minimum 2 very different playstyles and considerations.

That's a good 18 buttons total you could be pressing....all for just one piece of content. FUN!

Your mind games are too stronk I don't know if your agreeing, disagreeing or taking the piss out of me. I'm tagging out O_O"

• Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    FE FI FO FUM
    I SMELL THE BLOOD OF CASUAL SCUM

• Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I "Got Gut" because I want the shiny endgame costume rewards for my virtual dress up doll simulation game onion-64.gif
    and because i'm enjoying the game when the event farming doesn't suck the everlasting soul out of me

I want my characters to be badass in their respective roles during cosmics either that be DPS or TANK or SUPPORT​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!