test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What the Community Thinks about PWE and their Handling of the Champions Franchise.

2»

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Re: Marvel history - no, they haven't been around forever. You know what they used to be, back when they created Captain America and a slew of other WWII heroes? That was Timely Comics. They had a young intern named Stanley Lieber, or "Stan Lee" as he called himself in the credits for his first story ("Captain America Foils the Traitor's Revenge", Captain America #3 - Stan always had a flair for the melodramatic).

It's similar to the way that CO came from the beginning of the end of CoX, except that unlike the beginning of Marvel, CO was in a really tiny niche (superhero MMOs just aren't that big a deal, even in the limited universe of MMOs).

Oh, and I just checked - the WildStorm WoW title hasn't published since 2009. There's a WoW-based webcomic, Dark Legacy, that's still publishing but currently on hiatus (the author had a child), but that's really more of a parody of the game; and then there's Looking For Group, which was originally inspired by WoW but has since run far afield from that concept...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    dreadjaws2dreadjaws2 Posts: 58 Arc User

Even more disposable dreck by someone who thinks too high of himself.

Look, I'm just going to ignore you from now on. Despite what you desperately believe, you have nothing smart or interesting to say, and you've been unnecessarily and unwarrantedly rude in each of your messages. Maybe you think that the more you write the smarter you sound, but it's quite the opposite considering that you have nothing of intelligence to say.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User

Some crap that shows just exactly how hypocritical and stupid I am.

I am 100% fine with you ignoring me. You don't seem like anyone capable of having an intelligent conversation anyway.

But you can not dismiss my points by editing my quotes.

That you think that PWE should spend millions of dollars developing a cartoon that would, if they were lucky, end up on a cable channel that 10% of America gets and a much lower percentage ever actually watch, and that that would somehow translate into CO gaining millions of players shows me that you are not a serious thinker.

Action figures? Seriously? Action figures are the key to making this game a hit? That's beyond nonsense.

Just because I said things that were contrary to your little fantasy about how yet another volume of a Champions comic book would have people running to get into the game doesn't make me rude.
  • Options
    combatclown81combatclown81 Posts: 86 Arc User
    5 attempts? COH, CO, DCUO and what else?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

No, Marvel and DC have not been around forever.
    But they are also not in the MMO market.

So you're saying DCUO isn't an MMO? o_o'
    spinnytop said:

New areas, nemesis overhauls, new powersets, new bosses, maybe new hideouts. That sort of thing.

Yeah, spinny crossed out the parts we don't have....
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User

So you're saying DCUO isn't an MMO? o_o'

No, I am saying that it is neither developed nor published by DC.
    There's a Marvel game as well but same deal. Marvel doesn't operate the game.

They control the license which gives them a great deal of power over some things if the MMO companies expect to keep the games going, but they are not involved in the nuts-and-bolts of the game.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Deleted a post. You made some decent points but you need to use nicer language if you want your post to stay up. Nothing against the message of your post at all; be as negative as you want, but using that kind of language will guarantee your post will be deleted.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    dragoshawdragoshaw Posts: 4 Arc User
    I know I don't have as much experience in this but given a previous answer I receieved on a post I made I feel compelled to reply.

It could be alot worse. I just came from A very bad nostalgia trip in Anarchy Online which I have played off and on since high school. That game is now getting 0 updates. We got a very lucky exploit fix update (which fixed very few exploits) after 6 months of no update. The game company that makes it (funcom) even admitted that it's not getting any new updates and it's basically just being allowed to run as it is because it still makes a profit at the moment. So yeah they could be doing more probably but it's better then the nothing other old games are getting.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    thank you mithros for going over it point by point.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    tau41tau41 Posts: 83 Arc User
    I like the game. I'm not especially impressed with PWE's handling of things, but also not especially livid about it. Consider me ambivalent.

I do think that turning all the new content into a torture grind fest is the continuation of shooting themselves in the foot, though. "Whoa, I can get this cool thing!...if grind every single day for two months...WTF."

I'm a lifer who's played since the game came out. I built a travel device, if you remember those. I am ten million percent certain I am not the only person who looks at the raw grind to get a SINGLE item and checks out at the door.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    Ambivalent: having mixed feelings or contradictory ideas about something or someone.

People use it a lot when what they actually meant was something like "neutral" or "don't feel strongly either way".
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    tau41 said:

I like the game. I'm not especially impressed with PWE's handling of things, but also not especially livid about it. Consider me ambivalent.

I do think that turning all the new content into a torture grind fest is the continuation of shooting themselves in the foot, though. "Whoa, I can get this cool thing!...if grind every single day for two months...WTF."

I'm a lifer who's played since the game came out. I built a travel device, if you remember those. I am ten million percent certain I am not the only person who looks at the raw grind to get a SINGLE item and checks out at the door.

i also built the 3 basic travel devices and i remember the grind for plans of parts, then the parts to make new plans, then the major grind to actually make the travel device.
    and the amount of people who said not to take crafting, it was all grind and not worth it.
    strange how those same people liked to buy the items off crafters.

i have no problem with the cost.
    i thought the old cost for heroic gear was stupidly cheap.
    1 set of easy missions for about 40mins per day for 6 days. there's your 3 peices of L40 gear.
    costumes- well you can go farm them the old way and see how long it takes you.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg