test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Photobucket Alternatives?

jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
So, now that Photobucket has screwed us all over I need a new image sharing service. What are others using that they can recommend?
JwLmWoa.png
Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!

Comments

• Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Yeah, I second imgur.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    doctorevilfacedoctorevilface Posts: 91 Arc User

So, now that Photobucket has screwed us all over I need a new image sharing service. What are others using that they can recommend?

What happened with Photobucket?
    Lemon-Scented Evil.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

They decided that to have third-party hosting for your images, you will have to subscribe for $400 a year.

They sneakily implemented it without warning too.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    imgur and it's been much easier
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Seems to be working free for me.
    They limited the storage space? And put it behind moneywall?

Yup. Fckd up my pictures also. trying to save what i can and move somewhere else.
    Post edited by flyingfinn on
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Seems to be working free for me.
    They limited the storage space? And put it behind moneywall?

No, they stopped you from embedding an image or photo onto another website unless you pay a $400 yearly subscription.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/30/photobucket_charging_400yr_3rdparty_pgs/
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    While Imgur's super good and lightweight and fast and everything, it's not usable for uploading and sharing costume files like these since it erases the extra costume metadata in the jpeg when it's uploaded:

imgbb.com seems to perserve the metadata and seems pretty minimalistic, so I recommend using them for any costume file uploads.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    bluhman said:

While Imgur's super good and lightweight and fast and everything, it's not usable for uploading and sharing costume files like these since it erases the extra costume metadata in the jpeg when it's uploaded:

imgbb.com seems to perserve the metadata and seems pretty minimalistic, so I recommend using them for any costume file uploads.

Good info there bluh, thanks.

zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Photobucket has been utter garbage for years. I'm surprised anyone uses it for anything.

Aside from imgur, there's also PostImage, which is similar but more barebones. I use it sometimes.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    People kept saying that but I never had any issue.
  • Options
    shadowzero66shadowzero66 Posts: 331 Arc User
    PostImage also preserves the file name (and I assume the metadata) when uploaded, so there's that.
    Grind for the Grind God! Tokens for the Token Throne!
  • Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Imgur is by far the best alternative, just hope they won't pull a Photobucket on us.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Another vote for imgur. I recently switched to them when imgbox shut down, and have had no issues whatsoever. Oh, wait, one small one that it thinks my larger .gifs are video, but I can dig down and get the real .gif link with little trouble.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Many thanks for the suggestions. Going to give Imgur a try for now. At least my sig is back to normal :)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Imgur is the BEST
    create an account and organize your pictures
    I had been using it 3 years now and left Photobucket to burn
    They decided that to have third-party hosting for your images, you will have to subscribe for $400 a year.

They sneakily implemented it without warning too.

God I knew that Photobucket was full of greedy scumbags, but that goes too far. This certainly won't help them with their competitors, in fact they just dug their own grave

also who still using Photobucket nowdays instead of Imgur?​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    doesn't Facebook have gallery's for people to post albums and stuff??

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2017

Imgur is by far the best alternative, just hope they won't pull a Photobucket on us.

Well photobucket was largely based on the principle of being a site to share actual photos on - like, normal people photos, not internet gifs and game screenshots. The reason it gained traction in the first place is that it was one of the better options for uploading any kind of image back in the mid 2000s, as it didn't compress your pictures into splotchy jpeg hell or your animations into crumbly 16-color gifs. Its resorting to its current tactics basically to offset the modern-day challenges that would be posed for a site trying to upload and store jpeg photos with like 10k resolution; by advertising a ton to offset hosting costs and including features that most average users wouldn't need, like photo-effect filters and editing. The core demographic the site is for is for people who literally want to print their pictures onto coffee mugs and t-shirts or as like actual pictures on their wall. The costs of supporting those features are offset now with disabling hosting of images offsite, or the amount of ads encountered when trying to browse through galleries.

Imgur is so strongly rooted in internet culture that trying to integrate actively intrusive popups and features to print your latest uploads as portraits (i.e. your animated gifs of a lizard drinking water or a post of some people talking online about grammar) would probably be more detrimental and pointless than useful for the kind of users on that site. Those also wouldn't be things you'd want to print as eternal keepsakes because a lot of that stuff becomes irrelevant the very next day! Instead, most of the expenses are aimed towards keeping servers running and hosting their gallery (which doubles as a weird social media situation), while also displaying ads as banners and integrated entries in the gallery.

Basically, hosting images for use online is one of the core purposes for why Imgur exists, and so that's why it probably won't become horribly bloated in the future, as that'd be an extremely poor move for their target demographic.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    bluhman wrote: »
    Basically, hosting images for use online is one of the core purposes for why Imgur exists, and so that's why it probably won't become horribly bloated in the future, as that'd be an extremely poor move for their target demographic.
    To elaborate further, the imgur dude stated in an ama that he quite literally made the site in response to how annoying/crappy other image sharing sites were. I'd be legitimately surprised if he ever decided to steer the site down the same road as photobucket, imageshack, tinypic, and the other subpar services that inspired the creation of imgur in the first place.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Thanks for the heads-up - I'd been using Photobucket, but haven't had occasion to visit the site for a while. I think I'll check out Bluh's recomendation of imgbb. Never heard of that one before, but Bluh's word is fairly trustworthy, I think... :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!