test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Powers animations ranking

grievehartgrievehart Posts: 192 Arc User
Currently powers works this way:

-Rank1: standard animation, (weak and visually underwhelming)
-Rank2: improved animation, (better but still not epic)
-Rank3: best animation,(light, sound, epic delight for small and grown)

So power animation is currently determined by rank of the power. Understandable but unfair in my opinion.

Wouldn't it be better if animation was dependant of points spent in power instead of just ranking ?

-0 points: standard animation
-2 points: improved animation
-4 points: best animation

Considering recent powers review added a tons of advantages, buff, debuff, synergies and various things which sometime are more interesting than simply ranking the power, It should be a nice move to let people who choose advantages access to good animations too. And it doesn't penalize people who choose ranks instead of advantage. So it would be profitable for everyone.
People should not be forced to choose between advantages and esthetics. Especially tanks or pvper with agro or block breaking advantages.

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Good suggestions.
    Advantages should allways add some effect to the Powers. ((((Power Replacers)))) :#
    We just know that won't be happening. Making multiple versions of one Power etc. Devs don't like screwing around with powers/ranks/advs.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    Preferably with an option to use the less visually overwhelming/complicated versions if needed. (Looking at you, Phoenix Flight!)
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • Options
    grievehartgrievehart Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited July 2017

"Advantages should allways add some effect to the Powers. ((((Power Replacers)))) :#
    We just know that won't be happening. Making multiple versions of one Power etc."

Not what i had in mind. Even if ressurecting power replacers effects would be great, with auras or special mods for example. But it's not what i am talking about.

I was talking about the animation ranking of all powers.
    You know, you buy a power in powerhouse, it has the standard animation. Then you invest 2 points in rank 2 to gain 20% damage, the animation of the power changes. Then you invest 2 more points in rank 3 (20% more damage) and you have the final version of the power animation, colourfull and nice.
    What i'm suggesting is to modify the general condition trigerring the animation change for all powers:
    Instead of being the ranks 2 and 3; i'm suggesting to change that condition to be the amount of points invested in powers, whatever that points have been invested in ranks or advantage.

I'll take an example:

Currently:
    Power lightning arc:

No ranks bought: weak animation

Rank 2 bought: moderate animation

Adv bought: weak animation

Rank 2 + adv bought: moderate animation

Rank 2 + rank 3 bought: best animation

Adv1 + Adv 2 bought: weak animation

That is how things works now.

Now what i am suggesting:
    Power lightning arc:

No points spent: weak animation

Rank 2 bought (so two points invested) : moderate animation

Adv bought (so two points invested): moderate animation

Rank 2 bought + adv bought (so four points invested): best animation

Rank 2 bought + rank 3 bought (so four points invested): best animation

Adv 1 + Adv 2 bought (so four points invested): best animation

That is what i'm suggesting,

Points spent determining the animation of powers instead of just ranking

• Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    this would be rather neat.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Even better would be to either allow the players to set the desired animation (harder to code) or just give every power the cool-looking FX by default (easier to code, but the 3 people who like minimalist powers would whine)​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).