test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Best silver solo archetypes?

A while back I played a glacier, but I recently started playing Champions again and I'm interested in trying something different. I had a quick try of an unleashed but found that I was dying every time i took on more than 1-2 opponents. The higher level I got the more often I died. I've tried doing some google searches about this but everything I find is from 5+ years ago. So, other than the glacier, are any of the other archetypes playable solo, or is glacier really the only option?

Comments

• Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,392 Arc User
    Anything with self heals or with CON as a super stat. That allows you to survive most basic encounters and because the AI is pretty stupid you can wait around after an encounter, slowly heal back to full, before getting into another fight.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Honestly, Glacier is probably the best of the initial free ATs for solo due to Invulnerability. :(
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    Didn't they add a few new free ones? If so, maybe they'd be good as well.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    I would still say the Unleashed just because you get Eye of the Storm + Blade Beyond the Veil and a heal. Most enemies have no way to deal with flying enemies, so a Soldier with flight can be effective. It also has a weak heal now. Always have some healing potions.

Not sure what you're trying to solo. I've leveled most of the free ATs with a combination of solo missions and alerts. I probably couldn't solo the last part of Steel Crusade or anything with Roin'esh in it with just anything though. The Desert Crisis can suck due to the ridiculous aggro radius everything has outside.

Zero of the new ATs are free. They have been adding the ability to get some of the premium ATs by grinding the crap out of events though.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options

Didn't they add a few new free ones? If so, maybe they'd be good as well.

No. None of the new ones are free which is unfortunate because more options to lure in new players, even if those players never plan on paying a dime, is very good for any game. Free players are actually providing something beneficial--they bring life to the game. They are content in a sense.

I really wish Cryptic would just make all ATs free, and I say that as a LTS player. The game would be so much healthier as a result, and it'd probably be a lot more profitable in the long run compared to whatever (likely small) profit spikes they get each time they put a new one up in the shop.

The event grind option is better than nothing I guess, but a brand new player isn't going to do that when they're still learning the game, as well as whether or not they they like it enough to stick with it.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    balekinbalekin Posts: 2 Arc User
    sterga said:

I would still say the Unleashed just because you get Eye of the Storm + Blade Beyond the Veil and a heal. Most enemies have no way to deal with flying enemies, so a Soldier with flight can be effective. It also has a weak heal now. Always have some healing potions.

Not sure what you're trying to solo. I've leveled most of the free ATs with a combination of solo missions and alerts. I probably couldn't solo the last part of Steel Crusade or anything with Roin'esh in it with just anything though. The Desert Crisis can suck due to the ridiculous aggro radius everything has outside.

Zero of the new ATs are free. They have been adding the ability to get some of the premium ATs by grinding the crap out of events though.​​

I'm still in westside with my Unleashed. Things like doing the prison break, or the mission where you have to protect the ping pong balls from Foxbat's ambush, are pretty much impossible. Even regular stuff on the street, I may be able to take out one or two enemies, but then I need to teleport out to heal up. I'm just finding the Unleashed to be incredibly squishy, and the dps output doesn't make up for it. This game really doesn't seem to be solo/casual friendly.
  • Options
    eviltwintwoeviltwintwo Posts: 351 Arc User
    This is a fantastic argument for lowering the price of freeform characters for Silver players. Cryptic could make some money, Silver players would have more options.

I know you can grind out Questionite and trade it for Zen, but Cryptic doesn't make money that way. Also, I am myself a (usually) solo player (since 2013) and have never had any significant Questionite. There's probably a thing or two Cryptic could do about that, too, even if it were significantly slower than getting Q from alerts.
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    I know you can grind out Questionite and trade it for Zen, but Cryptic doesn't make money that way.

Yes, they do. That Zen comes from other players who have paid for it (either directly or through Gold/LTS).​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kjodellkjodell Posts: 83 Arc User
    try the behemoth
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    [[Quote originally did not appear; deleted because it had already been replaced.]]
    Post edited by eviltwintwo on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    kallethen said:

I know you can grind out Questionite and trade it for Zen, but Cryptic doesn't make money that way.

Yes, they do. That Zen comes from other players who have paid for it (either directly or through Gold/LTS).​​

=================================

Okay let's try this again, since my previous post inexplicably vanished. It would be nice if it didn't reappear later since I was a little angrier than I needed to be before replying; if it does pop up, I'll delete it.

I am well aware that zen is bought since I have bought zen. There was no need to be condescending.

But on the chance that I really wasn't clear on my meaning, I was specifically referring to Cryptic making money off people buying freeform slots. The zen sitting on the questionite exchange is "old money", spent by people who do not necessarily fit into this group. Cryptic does not make money off the questionite exchange.
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    - The Blade and the Unleashed both get BCR and some Dodge now. They might feel a little weak early level but get much better at PvE later on.

- The Glacier or the Behemoth are sturdy from the get go. DPS is a little subpar but can be compensated for with stats and mods later on.

- The Soldier - does great dps out of the gate.. and has access to some minor buffing right now thanks to a few updates.

I always recommend Silver Players check out the updated AT Guides on the Pro Boards CO forum:
    http://champions-online.proboards.com/thread/3351/silverwolfx11s-updated-guides-misc

You'll find updated info about how to build and play AT's there.

Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    Bountiful chi resurgence is a healing ability the unleashed can get at level 17 and it will make doing missions solo much easier. Unleashed was my first level 40 character and honestly I think it is one of the better ATs. While still low level it might seem like a slog but just remember to block often and try not to draw more than 2 or 3 badguys at once.

• Options
    edited June 2017

But on the chance that I really wasn't clear on my meaning, I was specifically referring to Cryptic making money off people buying freeform slots. The zen sitting on the questionite exchange is "old money", spent by people who do not necessarily fit into this group. Cryptic does not make money off the questionite exchange.

That's nonsense, of course they do and that's why it exists in literally every cryptic game (and something similar exists in many MMOs in general)

Whether the Zen is spent directly in the C-Store or sold for questionite, cryptic still makes money off it.

Credit Card => Zen => C-Store Item
    Credit Card => Zen => Questionite*

* The questionite seller is the one who finally consumes the Zen in the C-Store, but that's irrelevant. Somebody still paid cryptic to purchase it in the first place.

If I want to spend money to buy a c-store unlock, that's literally no different than if I want to spend money to buy questionite. Either way, I'm purchasing Zen.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    aesica said:

That's nonsense, of course they do and that's why it exists in literally every cryptic game (and something similar exists in many MMOs in general)

Whether the Zen is spent directly in the C-Store or sold for questionite, cryptic still makes money off it.

Credit Card => Zen => C-Store Item
    Credit Card => Zen => Questionite*

* The questionite seller is the one who finally consumes the Zen in the C-Store, but that's irrelevant. Somebody still paid cryptic to purchase it in the first place.

If I want to spend money to buy a c-store unlock, that's literally no different than if I want to spend money to buy questionite. Either way, I'm purchasing Zen.
    Aesica, I am seriously tempted to flag you. This point is off topic, and it has already been made by someone else.

In my original reply, I was SPECIFICALLY REFERRING TO PEOPLE SPENDING MONEY TO IMMEDIATELY BUY FREEFORM SLOTS. That is, to money BEING spent, not to money that is already spent and is sitting on the Q exchange. Zen can only be bought ONCE. After that, if it sits in place, it's just another in-game currency.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Aesica, I am seriously tempted to report you. This point is off topic, and it has already been made by someone else.

In my reply, I was SPECIFICALLY REFERRING TO PEOPLE SPENDING MONEY TO BUY FREEFORM SLOTS. That is, to money BEING spent, not to money that is already spent and is sitting on the Q exchange. Zen can only be bought ONCE. After that, if it sits in place, it's just another in-game currency.

Don't forget to report yourself as well, since you're just as off topic. Anyway, let's not be petty. I just want to explain basic mmo economics.

Since you mentioned freeform slots specifically:

Credit Card => Zen => Freeform Slot

vs

Credit Card => Zen => Q-Exchange => Person 2 trades Questionite => Freeform Slot

Seriously, there's no difference. Cryptic still made money from the freeform slot sale because somebody bought Zen for it. The difference is literally just "I buy a freeform slot for myself" vs "somebody else buys me a freeform slot in exchange for ingame shinies."
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Things like doing the prison break, or the mission where you have to protect the ping pong balls from Foxbat's ambush, are pretty much impossible. Even regular stuff on the street, I may be able to take out one or two enemies, but then I need to teleport out to heal up. I'm just finding the Unleashed to be incredibly squishy, and the dps output doesn't make up for it. This game really doesn't seem to be solo/casual friendly.

The Prison Break Open Mission is best done by a character with an AoE attack - which the Unleashed doesn't have at low levels. Give it a miss until you're over the level of the enemies.

Otherwise my advice would be - block more. Make sure you're watching for your enemies' attacks (anything with more than one segment in its health bar will have a special attack which does more damage and may knock/hold you. These come with a tell which appears over the enemy's head when they're charging the attack. Block!) Make sure you've got your healing devices and that you know how to use them. Finally, make sure you've got a full set of Primary and Secondary gear slotted. You'll get these as drops from enemies and mission rewards. Pick the ones which give you extra CON if you need life, REC if you need energy, STR for melee and EGO for ranged. It can be done!

Best AT for openers is the Soldier, now that it has that shield advantage on SMG. The Radiant is also fun at lower levels (it has a self heal...) although people don't always read the manual (I didn't).
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    I am well aware that zen is bought since I have bought zen. There was no need to be condescending.
    I am not sure how my post was condescending. I used no insulting words that I am aware of. All I said was that Cryptic is making money off of the Zen entered into the Zen exchange.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Don't discount the Radiant for solo players. If you learn how to use it you can solo a large chunk of content without worrying about buying a ton load of health stims.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    lordgrimmwoodlordgrimmwood Posts: 38 Arc User
    The Marksman can be fun as well, just make sure to take the advantage of the quarry passive, it heals you when an enemy is defeated.
    tumblr_os83d5SraI1spm248o1_540.jpg
  • Options
    nepht said:

Don't discount the Radiant for solo players. If you learn how to use it you can solo a large chunk of content without worrying about buying a ton load of health stims.

Yup. I've played a solo Radiant from 1-40 the old fashioned way. My only disappointment was that it sucked during cosmic. For some bizarre reason my Soldier does way better during Cosmics than a Radiant does. The Radiant just doesn't have the burst healing needed to fulfill the healing role. I did manage to make it work.. but it took way more effort than the soldier did.

YMMV
  • Options
    kallethen said:

I am not sure how my post was condescending. I used no insulting words that I am aware of. All I said was that Cryptic is making money off of the Zen entered into the Zen exchange.​​

"That Zen comes from other players who have paid for it."

I interpreted this as meaning, "You're too stupid to have already known that." THAT'S why I considered it condescending at the time.

Honestly, I had forgotten about this--had too many real-life things on my mind over the past few days. At any rate, I am convinced now that you did not intend to insult, and I apologize for my misinterpretation.
  • Options
    nepht said:

I have to second this. I've actually beaten Chimera on Monster Island solo with a Radiant--at equal level or one below him. Ironically, when I was trying to fight the bunches of little guys leading up to him, that's when I had trouble. If you learn a few tactics and apply them well, you can solo reasonably, though teaming might be more fun at times.
  • Options
    aesica said:

Aesica, I am seriously tempted to report you. This point is off topic, and it has already been made by someone else.

In my reply, I was SPECIFICALLY REFERRING TO PEOPLE SPENDING MONEY TO BUY FREEFORM SLOTS. That is, to money BEING spent, not to money that is already spent and is sitting on the Q exchange. Zen can only be bought ONCE. After that, if it sits in place, it's just another in-game currency.

Don't forget to report yourself as well, since you're just as off topic. Anyway, let's not be petty. I just want to explain basic mmo economics.

Since you mentioned freeform slots specifically:

Credit Card => Zen => Freeform Slot

vs

Credit Card => Zen => Q-Exchange => Person 2 trades Questionite => Freeform Slot

Seriously, there's no difference. Cryptic still made money from the freeform slot sale because somebody bought Zen for it. The difference is literally just "I buy a freeform slot for myself" vs "somebody else buys me a freeform slot in exchange for ingame shinies."
    Seriously, you're still missing my point. My point has nothing to do with any of this being wrong. This is right, and I never said otherwise. Well, it's not important enough to continue trying, especially since this was days ago. See ya.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    balekin said:

A while back I played a glacier, but I recently started playing Champions again and I'm interested in trying something different. I had a quick try of an unleashed but found that I was dying every time i took on more than 1-2 opponents. The higher level I got the more often I died. I've tried doing some google searches about this but everything I find is from 5+ years ago. So, other than the glacier, are any of the other archetypes playable solo, or is glacier really the only option?

All of the archetypes are playable solo, though some will be more painful than others; the Unleashed is a fairly typical melee dps setup. However, if you're inexperienced or out of practice, a defensive passive or mobile ranged dps will be easiest (for free ATs, that means behemoth, glacier, soldier). If you're willing to go for a premium AT, last I knew the Savage was EZ mode.
  • Options

balekin said:

All of the archetypes are playable solo, though some will be more painful than others; the Unleashed is a fairly typical melee dps setup. However, if you're inexperienced or out of practice, a defensive passive or mobile ranged dps will be easiest (for free ATs, that means behemoth, glacier, soldier). If you're willing to go for a premium AT, last I knew the Savage was EZ mode.
    The Savage is still hands down the easiest of the AT's to play the entire game with. It has great STATS, excellent spec tree choices, and fairly powerful passive in Regeneration. There's some controversy about Regeneration being a good passive, but honestly I've never had a problem using it in any content. If you don't mind melee the Savage is a good buy for someone learning the game.

I bought the Savage and then geared it up with leveling gear from the questionite store - and it was the most painless leveling experience of any AT that I played. That was a few years ago -- and the Savage is even better with all the upgrades the Bestial set received not so long ago. I imagine leveling up a Savage now must be pretty damned awesome.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Rank 3 Block isn't enough?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

Why can't all Archtypes have similar as the Savage than? You claim is well designed why aren't all of them.

Most of the archetypes are designed for team play; the Savage is designed for solo play. It's an inferior tank to a real tank, and inferior dps to a real dps, but it's tougher than a dps and does higher damage than a real tank.
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    The Savage was completely over the top for a while - health regeneration while blocking, good damage, and a sequence of attacks which culminated in a massive self-heal effect. They have nerfed it since then but it's still very good.

The Soldier is an instructive AT to play; make sure you read the guides to blocking and targeting (precis: what happens to your character is decided earlier than you think) and keep moving and blocking. Mine is still my go-to character for lolz when I'm bored.
  • Options
    zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    Playstyle is also important. I enjoyed my Glacier but the Behemoth is one of the few characters I've deleted (granted there's been a number of changes since then). Overtime you start to pick up quirks on how different ATs work so there's some situations where a "worse" AT will be more comfortable based on range, power activations, etc.

As far as melee, you simply can't charge in at low levels. Early game also has a weirdly high number of ranged focused enemies who tend to run away while fighting.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    For all around survivability The Impulse with Personal Force Field as passive works very well. You won't do as much damage as the pure DPS classes but you'll literally need no heals after level 14 when you pick up IDF.
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    Glacier and Behemoth is my fav.