test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions Online: Nightmare Invasion Event

edict#8422 edict Posts: 108 Cryptic Developer
Champions!

BEWARE!

Strange otherworldly creatures have started invading Millennium City, and you need to stop them! A mysterious stranger called Golden Seraph has appeared in Renaissance Center, pleading for assistance in stopping this invasion. Who is behind this new invasion, and what does it ultimately mean?

The event will run Thursday, May 4th, 8 am PT to Thursday, May 18th, 8 am PT.

To participate in the Nightmare Invasion Event, put together a team of 3 to 5 heroes of levels 10+, then talk to Golden Seraph in Renaissance Center to learn more about the missions and special rewards!

The event only runs for a limited time, so face your Nightmares and get your rewards while you can!

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Will this be the usual type of 2 week event where the first week is kind of a dreary grind to get fairly small amounts of currency, followed by a 2nd week with greater rewards? If so, it would be really, really, really nice to explain the nature/differences in the two weeks both here and on the News part of the web site. Some players get discouraged by the meager awards in the first week and give up on the endeavor, and miss out on things they may actually want.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    Champions BEWARE!

You risk your eyesight health with this event​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,386 Arc User
    Feels like they may have tweaked this event to make it even less solo friendly
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    guyhumual said:

The missions to hunt portals and siphons were not directly changed, but both horrors and elder worms were updated with the release of the Qliphotic Warzone, and those changes affect this event as well.
  • revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User

guyhumual said:

The missions to hunt portals and siphons were not directly changed, but both horrors and elder worms were updated with the release of the Qliphotic Warzone, and those changes affect this event as well.
    In short, yes. Q-Zone enemies do not belong in Millennium City. I'm not sure they belong on Monster Island, but that ship has already sailed, hit an iceberg, and sunk to the accompaniment of an orchestral film score.
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    Whoever greenlighted the changes to this event clearly did not think things through and their employer should reconsider allowing them to have final say on these kinds of matters.

First off, the Shadow off the Colossus daily mission:
    With the number of people needed to complete this, things can get more than a bit laggy. Lag and a boss that can repeatedly one shot multiple players is never a good combination. This is worsened by the distance between respawn points and the location of the world event, which can result in players dying, being autokicked from their team when they respawn, and running back to discover that there's no longer an available team for them to rejoin.

Gateway to Nightmare:
    This should not have Qliphothic Warzone spawns if the NPCs are going to be in their current configuration. Doing so just results in players being chain CCed and KBed while the NPCs are chain bubbled. These are groupings that can cause difficulty for many players when in their seperate configurations in the Warzone. Stacking them on top of each other only magnifies the challenges they present and, while I hadn't tried doing one of these by myself on an AT, I think it's a fair assessment to say that most will find this mission nearly impossible for an AT to do by themself. If it's going to be kept with the current configuration of NPCs, it should probably be put in some sort of instance so it doesn't interfere with the leveling of players. I can understand wanting to have this in the main city zone but, it can either be easily accessible for everyone to do or, it can be designed to encourage teaming. It really doesn't work to try and make it be both at the same time.

The Worms Turn:
    Out of the three, I've found this one the easiest to do. Having said that, I think that the difficulty of it should be scaled back or, like with Gateway to Nightmare, it should perhaps be put in some sort of instance so it won't interfere with the level progression of players. The only real complaint I have about it is the same complaint I have for the entire event.

Rewards:
    This is where the big problem lies with this event. Each mission rewards 15 Elysium coins and the open world event rewards 7. At that rate, you have to do each mission 12 times to get anything costing 300 Elysium coins. Given that each mission can only be done once a day, this means that multiple high level characters are somewhat needed to get more than one item from the vendor and that anyone wanting an item that costs more than 400 coins will need to farm the open world event incessantly. The end result of this is that anyone trying to get multiple items from the vendor, or items that cost more than 400 coins, are going to have to turn grinding out missions and open world events into an all day, every day thing for the duration of this event. This alone is enough for some players to decide that it's just not worth the effort needed to get anything and not even bother with the event, thereby making it even more difficult for others to find teams to run the missions with.
    arimikami said:

Rewards:
    This is where the big problem lies with this event. Each mission rewards 15 Elysium coins and the open world event rewards 7. At that rate, you have to do each mission 12 times to get anything costing 300 Elysium coins. Given that each mission can only be done once a day, this means that multiple high level characters are somewhat needed to get more than one item from the vendor and that anyone wanting an item that costs more than 400 coins will need to farm the open world event incessantly.

Not quite right, there's three daily missions at the moment, all for 15, plus 7 for the nightmare, so that's 52 per day if you only fight the nightmare once. So, 8 days to get anything costing 400. Still outrageous of course, that's more then a week of missions to get one costume unlock, but not quite as bad as the scenario you paste here. There's also random coin drops as well. On the whole I agree competently, most of the costume parts are over priced, coin is under rewarded, and seeing as most players are not going to be able to solo these events it means there's a whole new bother of trying to find teammates and working with them to get your dailies complete. Find if you already have friends I suppose, but bothersome for folks that just want to play for a few minutes, or folks that don't speak very good English.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Meh, I did it 3-man yesterday easily.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Always the way with current events; a ever-smaller number of people going "meh, too easy", and everyone not bothering.
    Wanna know what I want? Holy Water. The rest is meh.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    guyhumual said:

arimikami said:

Rewards:
    This is where the big problem lies with this event. Each mission rewards 15 Elysium coins and the open world event rewards 7. At that rate, you have to do each mission 12 times to get anything costing 300 Elysium coins. Given that each mission can only be done once a day, this means that multiple high level characters are somewhat needed to get more than one item from the vendor and that anyone wanting an item that costs more than 400 coins will need to farm the open world event incessantly.

Not quite right, there's three daily missions at the moment, all for 15, plus 7 for the nightmare, so that's 52 per day if you only fight the nightmare once. So, 8 days to get anything costing 400. Still outrageous of course, that's more then a week of missions to get one costume unlock, but not quite as bad as the scenario you paste here. There's also random coin drops as well. On the whole I agree competently, most of the costume parts are over priced, coin is under rewarded, and seeing as most players are not going to be able to solo these events it means there's a whole new bother of trying to find teammates and working with them to get your dailies complete. Find if you already have friends I suppose, but bothersome for folks that just want to play for a few minutes, or folks that don't speak very good English.
    You're right about me being off on the number of days it would take. Chalk it up to not enough sleep. As you said though, the point remains that the rewards are way too few given the difficulty level of the event and, I say this as someone with multiple characters that can solo most of it with relative ease. Even with it taking 8 days to get an unlock, that's for an event that only lasts for 14 days, meaning that people have to run it repeatedly on multiple characters if they want more than one or two unlocks, turning it into an all day grind. Personally, I think rewards should be doubled and coin drops from kills needs to be vastly increased. I ran all the missions on multiple toons yesterday and saw a grand total of 3 coins drop among all the characters I ran it on.

I don't think anyone was commenting on how hard or easy this is in groups, I think two or three person groups were the norm for silvers last year, I think people were commenting on how much more difficult this is now to solo. I'm sure for most silver players soloing these dailies was never an option in the first place. I got nothing against teams, I just don't like being forced into one.
    arimikami said:

guyhumual said:

arimikami said:

Rewards:

You're right about me being off on the number of days it would take. Chalk it up to not enough sleep. As you said though, the point remains that the rewards are way too few given the difficulty level of the event and, I say this as someone with multiple characters that can solo most of it with relative ease. Even with it taking 8 days to get an unlock, that's for an event that only lasts for 14 days, meaning that people have to run it repeatedly on multiple characters if they want more than one or two unlocks, turning it into an all day grind. Personally, I think rewards should be doubled and coin drops from kills needs to be vastly increased. I ran all the missions on multiple toons yesterday and saw a grand total of 3 coins drop among all the characters I ran it on.
    Oh I agree completely, I wasn't thinking you were at all wrong in your post, just that your math was a bit off.

guyhumual said:

I don't think anyone was commenting on how hard or easy this is in groups, I think two or three person groups were the norm for silvers last year, I think people were commenting on how much more difficult this is now to solo. I'm sure for most silver players soloing these dailies was never an option in the first place. I got nothing against teams, I just don't like being forced into one.
    Um... well... this game has lots of stuff that requires teaming... Like event bosses.

Also... is it just my imagination or are the Nightmare chickens smaller this year?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    They are smaller, yes; like 50% smaller.​​
    [NbK]XStorm
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Twice as powerful for half the size.....bargain!
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited May 2017

guyhumual said:

Um... well... this game has lots of stuff that requires teaming... Like event bosses.
    No, I get that, and I'm not complaining about group stuff, what I am upset about is them taking something that I could solo with a lot of effort last year and made in nearly impossible to solo this year.

Also... is it just my imagination or are the Nightmare chickens smaller this year?

Twice as powerful for half the size.....bargain!

I don't know, maybe I didn't face it at full power, but I didn't find the chicken that much harder at all this year. The hardest part about fighting him is getting into a zone before it starts and getting back into the zone if you should crash.
    guyhumual said:

I don't know, maybe I didn't face it at full power, but I didn't find the chicken that much harder at all this year. The hardest part about fighting him is getting into a zone before it starts and getting back into the zone if you should crash.

I don't notice that much difference in power for the bosses, though the adds are a lot more difficult to clear from the orbs.

guyhumual said:

I don't notice that much difference in power for the bosses, though the adds are a lot more difficult to clear from the orbs.
    Yeah, pretty much. I'm not even sure how much harder the adds are. The shields people keep talking about seem to be soap bubbles.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Pretty sure the shield can stack and with four enemies that can cast them, it ends up being insanely strong. Then, of course, you have that massive AoE that will kill you if you don't block and plenty of mobs to make sure you can't. And how every tiny thing can stop you from turning the damn orbs off. Getting an AoE debuff applied to you stops the interaction bar. Orb duty blows.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    sterga said:

Pretty sure the shield can stack and with four enemies that can cast them, it ends up being insanely strong. Then, of course, you have that massive AoE that will kill you if you don't block and plenty of mobs to make sure you can't. And how every tiny thing can stop you from turning the damn orbs off. Getting an AoE debuff applied to you stops the interaction bar. Orb duty blows.​​

I never considered orb duty, yes, I bet that's harder these days. For some reasons Cryptic took the complaints about the event being too hard last year and said to themselves: "Hmm, how do we fix the event being too hard? I know! Tougher mobs!"
    Enh, wasn't that hard last time I did it.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters

Yeah, pretty much. I'm not even sure how much harder the adds are. The shields people keep talking about seem to be soap bubbles.

Shield-penetrating DoTs vastly increase the annoyance of managing orbs, and there's something throwing around energy drain attacks now.
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    It's pretty rough, and there's so much in the store that I want.

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I find orb duty kind of strange. There have been plenty of times I've walked up to orbs to disable them, thinking I'd have to fight some adjacent mooks, but they didn't even notice me and I just turned off the orb. Anyone else experience this?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    That's because somone else got their agro​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    If you're non-combative, they won't target you a lot of the time and will instead go after the closest person who's actually fighting.

Yay for MMO logic. enemies ignore the guy who actually doing useful things to focus on the walking distraction.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited May 2017
    Horrible mob difficulty besides (SERIOUSLY WTF!?) and the lack of interesting stuff in vendor (more Skulls? no thanks)

This event is really poor optimized

Memory leaks, crashes, lag spikes

along with the eye-bleeding forced brightness on the enviroment and the team-up group bugs

This is really dissapointing​​
    Well they've managed to take a sub par event and make it worse. I mean the rewards last year weren't great, but I managed to get almost everything I wanted, and there's nothing really good added this year. With the spike in difficulty that makes it unplayable for 99% of my toons (and I do have over 100 toons) I have no reason to play this event.

Also, anyone interested in going gold? This is a reason not to bother. Even with a level 40 free-form you not going to be able to solo this without gearing up with the top level gear. They've made silvers and gold subscribers equal. Good job on that.
    edited May 2017
    Honstly, events are suppose to be casual break from endgame stuff (cosmics and warzone) NOT ON THE SAME DIFFICULTY

You guys are REALLY stressing out your playerbase, that's the word to describe this STRESS
    guyhumual wrote: »
    Well they've managed to take a sub par event and make it worse. I mean the rewards last year weren't great, but I managed to get almost everything I wanted, and there's nothing really good added this year. With the spike in difficulty that makes it unplayable for 99% of my toons (and I do have over 100 toons) I have no reason to play this event.

Also, anyone interested in going gold? This is a reason not to bother. Even with a level 40 free-form you not going to be able to solo this without gearing up with the top level gear. They've made silvers and gold subscribers equal. Good job on that.

I'm trying to do the dailies with all my characters with a single Vehicle which... i THINK I have geared well (not really, its not 100% optimized for such difficulty) I guess i have to get a mark 2 vehicle with all rank7-9 mods and mark 3 weapons

I still die thanks to the STUPID CHEAP Knocks and Stuns
    on FF optimized characters it can take 15 to 30 minutes to solo the dailies because of cheap deaths i cannot counter

It's way too late for me to go Gold​​
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Probably an oversight. If the mobs get adjusted on Thursday's patch, we'll know it was. If not, well...​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    My biggest complaint involves the Nightmare Demolisher's completely unnecessary buttload of damage reduction. Miniboss-level foes with defensive passives are annoying enough to deal with as it is, but layering on additional resistance to AoE and ranged damage is just stupid and leads to people skipping it after killing everything else. AoE resistance is semi-justifiable, but ranged resistance is just outright horrible and something that I seriously hope doesn't spread to other parts of the game.

The characters I clear this stuff with are tanky and have decent self-healing so it's all doable, but with those things as beefy as they are, I don't know how a more squishy dps character (especially ranged thanks to the extra resistance) is supposed to be able to kill this stuff before getting splattered themselves.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    edited May 2017
    Ok Im getting more and more dissapointed and irritated with this event

This year I actually decided to farm with many characters for the AURAS and the Inspire devices mainly, for theme
    • the auras are underwelming,
    • they are either too transparent and can be hardly seen (Light Tendrils Aura which CANNOT EVEN STACK despite this would make it look more visible, and on certains colours it's almost invisible)
    • they DO NOT scale correctly with the characters' body size, they even get blocked by jackets
    • [Inspire] and [Chilling Roar] have really unsatisfying animations and visuals.
    • The inspire devices affect only 5 Max players despite the fact the device from the Cowboy event, [Yodel] ,affects max 10 players

Im upset, i wasted time doing the dailies on multiply characters every day to get the auras, being constantly irritated from the Qwarzone MOBs difficulty, and the result is not as great as it was advertised

all this while getting eyeshored from the horrible brightness effect forced in MC

i got Valerians costumes and Holy Water last year, and i definatly dont have any interest in animal skulls and vehicles​​
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 736 Arc User
    I'm just surprise that the Bone Spikes Long/Short does not have a Back Slot option when I look at it.
  • blockwaveblockwave Posts: 329 Arc User
    Why Legion armor drops ?

edited May 2017
    Way to inject your off topic where it doesnt belong​​
  • xacchaeusxacchaeus Posts: 308 Arc User
    is it over yet?
    xacchaeus wrote: »
    is it over yet?
    the event ends in 17th May​​