test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can you still be a Dps (the Impulse) with PFF?

highwire9715highwire9715 Posts: 15 Arc User
I like playing Impulse as a dps, but my lack of survivability is starting to get on my nerves. Can a dps Impulse take PFF over KM without losing too much dps or is KM required no matter what?

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I wouldn't take the Impulse for dps (or really anything) atm. You can make a hybrid dps FF using PFF and do alright, though you won't get anywhere near the dps when using a dps role w/ a proper offensive passive.

Force is also a very lopsided set atm- either you can go to the extremes of affording heavy FC use and ur dps is decent, or you can't and its not great. Throwing in Crushing dmg debuffs from other sets can help, though (something the AT can't do ofc).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

I like playing Impulse as a dps, but my lack of survivability is starting to get on my nerves. Can a dps Impulse take PFF over KM without losing too much dps or is KM required no matter what?

The Impulse is pretty much bad at everything; PFF is the worst defensive passive in the game, offensive passives in hybrid role are gimpy, and just to be special, your signature power (force cascade) disables your offensive passive.
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User

Couldn't help myself, it felt appropriate, but as mentioned above, Dedicated DPS requires an Offensive Passive and be in a Offensive Role to be classified DPS but you can still do damage, it's just better otherwise, until Force gets a review that is, until then, hang in there baby.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Welcome to the problem of this game's gross tank/dps survivability imbalance. ;)

Personally, I suggest forgetting the impulse to use something better. If you want dps-themed AT with better survivability, maybe look into the Void. It has a bunch of self healing tools in its kit, plus Ebon Void (Rank 2, Voracious Darkness) is one of the best blocks in the game. The main drawback is that you're stuck with a darkness/edgelord theme.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    gradii said:

No, your damage will be absolutely terrible, its already not good with Kinetic Manipulation due to lack of a proper damage form.

This right here exactly. No.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    The impulse with PFF instead of KM is more for survivability, sure it will take you a bit longer to kill mobs, but remember that after level 14 absolutely nothing other than Viper brickbusters will do any significant damage to you.

@Powerblast in game
  • Options
    darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    chuckwolf said:

The impulse with PFF instead of KM is more for survivability, sure it will take you a bit longer to kill mobs, but remember that after level 14 absolutely nothing other than Viper brickbusters will do any significant damage to you.

till you get to level 40 and dip your toe into endgame stuff. lol

• Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    The poor Impulse. It's not bad solo, but you'll feel severely under-powered on teams.

For ranged dps Id choose (in no particular order of importance):

- The Void
    Access to self-healing, good dps, and a deceent block.

The Soldier
    Fantastic ranged dps with a block, threat wipe, plus the new "Wall of Bullets" advantage on Submachine Gun Burst!

The Scourge
    Another AT with fantasitc DPS, plus self-healing options with Resurgence and the Healing Rune advantage on Condemn. And of course there's AOE Epedimic spam!

The Icicle
    Good ranged dps with lots buffs/debuffs to help with damage. I've seen this AT score highly in open world content.

For more information about AT's check out: http://champions-online.proboards.com/thread/3351/silverwolfx11s-updated-guides-misc You'll find better information about AT's and how to build them on Pro-Boards then you will on the official CO boards.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Seconded to the above. To get the best out of the Force set you need two Toggle Forms (Conc/IDF IMHO), an AD/AO and a passive which doesn't get disabled by Force Cascade. And the Impulse doesn't have those choices. Lack of survivability is a problem with several DPS ATs (the Inferno and Tempest are pretty painful, as well) but there's not too much you can do with the powers you've got.

Re: The Soldier / Wall of Bullets. I don't find it that useful, tbh. It scales with the wrong stats. My Gunslinger (who is current level 20) has a shield x4/x5 stronger on Bullet Spray/Wall of Bullets than my level 40 soldier does on SMG/Wall of Bullets.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    No. Until they do a pass on Force powers and gussy up the Impulse it's really not good for anything other than memes.
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited March 2017

aesica said:

Welcome to the problem of this game's gross tank/dps survivability imbalance. ;)
    .​​

No, that was CoH. The great thing about CO is that you can make a stone cannon instead of just glass cannons. I have a Fire/DPS with 450 CON and truckloads of Offense/Defense that stands up just fine while still doing decent DPS. I mean, a stone cannon may not have the kek dps that a glass cannon does, but you can make a solid DPS that can stand up to some serious damage while still being able to output rude amounts of DPS.

But still, to do decent DPS, you need an offensive passive. I used to run my Force character with Quarry when I was leveling her and she could tankmage like a mofo. Once I get to endgame, figuring out what to do with Force is a more difficult proposition, but up until 40, she pwned.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

No. Until they do a pass on Force powers and gussy up the Impulse it's really not good for anything other than memes.

and the meme's for it aren't even that good either. :p:p:p