test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

how would you improve the game?

Comments

• Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User

First thing I'd change is I'd hire more staff-- the game is under-staffed and unfortunately it shows.

Might want to put the brakes on there. First, where are you going to get the money? Considering how hostile this player base is about supporting their game they don't want to die, but do their level best to not support it, so where exactly are you going to get the money for them to hire more staff for Champions? Developers do not work for free.?

Do you ever relax? This is a fantasy excerise... a "What would I do if.." scenario. It's not reality, just people blue-skying and having fun. So in my blue-sky fantasy world that's what I'd do. People having fun and chatting or just shooting off wacky ideas doesn't have to be serious.

Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    To be fair, that's also one of the things I would do: hire more staff. As for where the money would come from, probably PWE. Part of this thing would be me convincing them that the game needs more staff and them agreeing to invest.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

To be fair, that's also one of the things I would do: hire more staff. As for where the money would come from, probably PWE. Part of this thing would be me convincing them that the game needs more staff and them agreeing to invest.

photo hgytf.jpg
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Try the auction exchange, you can spend your in-game currency there on gear that more closely has the stats you want

There's not much in the AH these days - I keep trying to gear up characters and finding little more than junk in there. It's not surprising as adding things to the AH is a pain; neither the Desert nor Canada Zones have access to it and since they zapped the free TP to Ren Cen going back has become a bit of a chore. Adding more AH points might help. The other alternative is to use the Crises missions as gear-givers... so that by the time you've completed the chain you've got a new set of Primary gear, level appropriate.
  • Options
    ramthananaxramthananax Posts: 128 Arc User
    Aside from the really big and obvious fix- outsource content authoring to the players by implementing the ability for us to make our own missions- one thing I'd really like to see is for freeform to be truly freeform:

If I want to take multiple energy builders, let me. This would be great for shapeshifting characters.

If I want to take multiple energy unlocks, let me. I'd love to make a guy who absorbs all forms of energy.

Let me buy as many travel powers as I want, whenever I want them, and let me rank them up whenever I want. It won't break the game, I promise.

Break the link between Strength/Melee and Ego/Ranged. Don't force us to specialize into ranged or melee.

Get rid of the chargeup requirement on self-buffs. It's just annoying (plus, I really hate it when someone bumps me when I'm charging it up and I have to start all over again).

Make energy builders worth ranking up. If I want to have a fully-ranked energy builder, let me. While you're at it, make all of the tier one powers more useful.

Stop being so afraid of control powers. Telepathy should be the control powerset- but since bosses are pretty much immune, you're stuck doing subpar damage against them. If you have to, do what you did with knockback powers (if a target is immune to knockback, make it take more damage).

The replayability in this game is making new characters, since the missions never change (my eyes bleed every time I go through the Westside series of missions). Since we're supposed to make new characters, let us really make new characters.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    oh well, the foundry would fix like 99% of the no new content issues. sadly cryptic seems to be closing down the foundry for all its games, CO doesn't have it, NW foundry is broken for like 1 year already, and the newer console versions of NW don't even have it. I would make sooooooooooooooooooo many new maps and stories if we had a working foundry... </3
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    reiwulf said:

oh well, the foundry would fix like 99% of the no new content issues.

The record of user-generated content in MMOs is poor (you mostly get farms). User-generated multiplayer content only really seems to work when it doesn't generate any transferable rewards (thus, it works for PvP and RP maps, and it works when people can run their own personal servers like with the Bioware version of NWN).
  • Options
    eviltwintwoeviltwintwo Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Farming missions have their place (at least for certain players), but user-generated content isn't limited to that. In City of Heroes, I created a 5-arc Architect Entertainment mission called "Perception" which, if the player(s) read the clues, would actually have an interesting story aspect. Other AE creators did the same. Honestly though, making farming missions is easier (which is why there are so many), and I did do that--but Perception was my favorite because I put so much effort into it. Player-created content in CO would be the same, probably--a lot of farm-fluff, with a few jewels here and there; part of the fun would be finding the jewels by trying missions or talking with other players.

EDIT
    One negative on a mission with actual story--in CoH's AE system, only the person handling the missions actually got to read the user-created clues and contact dialog without jumping through a hoop or two. That made it far too easy for the rest of the team to miss the story. If CO ever did anything like Architect Entertainment, I'd definitely want it to address that.
  • Options

I'd improve the game by finding a company who cares to carry it onward. But unfortunately in the real world neither Perfect World or Cryptic is this. Outside of that I'd improve it by shutting it down let the superhero debacle that has infected mmorpgs for years die a good death.

#AlternativeFacts
  • Options
    I played (endured) NW for years only because of the foundry. I made 10+ quests in there and people enjoyed them a lot! so just because there's people making crappy quests it doesn't mean that there aren't fun and entertaining quests to do. there were AWESOME quests back when the foundry in NW was actually working. many, even superior to the official NW quests.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    And for CO I wouldn't even care if foundry quests didn't give either items or experience, only the story is enough reward for me, compared to repeated grinding of official quests... :(
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User

Break the link between Strength/Melee and Ego/Ranged. Don't force us to specialize into ranged or melee.

point: the actual gain there at high end is miniscule because of diminishing returns. my main is str toxic, and she's a chainsaw. the acrual problem here, imo, is passives. ain't really a lot good out there for mixed range dps, last i checked. granted, that was a while ago, since i just got back last night.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options

Try the auction exchange, you can spend your in-game currency there on gear that more closely has the stats you want

There's not much in the AH these days - I keep trying to gear up characters and finding little more than junk in there. It's not surprising as adding things to the AH is a pain; neither the Desert nor Canada Zones have access to it and since they zapped the free TP to Ren Cen going back has become a bit of a chore. Adding more AH points might help. The other alternative is to use the Crises missions as gear-givers... so that by the time you've completed the chain you've got a new set of Primary gear, level appropriate.

Yes, expanding the Auction House to all "normal" zones would help, I wouldn't put one in Q-Zone as that wouldn't make sense. Maybe then people would sell a few pieces of gear instead of unloading them at an NPC.

And I did look in the AH for the gear with stat combinations I needed, and found more or less the same stuff that wasn't helping. It wasn't a bad idea to look though.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Aside from the really big and obvious fix- outsource content authoring to the players by implementing the ability for us to make our own missions- one thing I'd really like to see is for freeform to be truly freeform:

If I want to take multiple energy builders, let me. This would be great for shapeshifting characters.

If I want to take multiple energy unlocks, let me. I'd love to make a guy who absorbs all forms of energy.

Let me buy as many travel powers as I want, whenever I want them, and let me rank them up whenever I want. It won't break the game, I promise.

Get rid of the chargeup requirement on self-buffs. It's just annoying (plus, I really hate it when someone bumps me when I'm charging it up and I have to start all over again).

Make energy builders worth ranking up. If I want to have a fully-ranked energy builder, let me. While you're at it, make all of the tier one powers more useful.

Stop being so afraid of control powers. Telepathy should be the control powerset- but since bosses are pretty much immune, you're stuck doing subpar damage against them. If you have to, do what you did with knockback powers (if a target is immune to knockback, make it take more damage).

The replayability in this game is making new characters, since the missions never change (my eyes bleed every time I go through the Westside series of missions). Since we're supposed to make new characters, let us really make new characters.

It might be nice, if you have a character that you use in different roles, to have different EB's and unlocks. (Many support builds rebuild energy fine w/o an unlock, though they still aren't a bad idea.)

Maybe energy builders should be set to max rank without advantage points; they can automatically go to rank 2 at level 12 and rank 3 at 25. (Actual advantages could be left as is.) Or maybe energy builder ranks should only cost 1 pt rather than 2.
  • Options

I'd improve the game by putting it in capable and caring hands. In other words anyone besides Cryptic Studios or wtf there name is.

#AlternativeFacts
  • Options
    You think cryptic studios/PWE is capable and caring spinny? I disagree with that. I've played both neverwinter and CO, and in specially in NW, they have refused to do anything that doesn't generate them inmediate revenue. that's not caring to me :/

the foundry has been unusable in NW for around a year, not counting that after each new module (every 3-4 months) the foundry was down for half the time. The foundry is something that made NW special, and different from most MMOS, giving the players the ability to create stories, maps, enemies, NPCs, etc. it was a great way to have our creativity to generate content for others to play. it was a win-win scenario. But because cryptic's metrics showed that the foundry doesn't make direct, meaningful revenue, it has been unusable for a year and in the backburner even for more. that's NOT caring hands for me to be honest.

We all know cryptic's gotta make money, it's not a charity. but when their metric only look for direct revenue, instead of also looking for indirect one (for example many of us foundry authors wouldn't even had played the game if not for the foundry, therefore every $ we spent on there was thanks to it), and even more, gutting the sole feature that players loved and made your game unique and special instead of a generic moneygrab, it doesn't show care for your product or your players.

So, no, I don't think they're caring. capable? maybe, I don't know the specifics of that. but caring definitely not.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    But finding a company that is going to make an 8-year-old game in a niche market with a small population into their top priority is fantasy, not reality.

It frustrates me that many people who've have worked on this game have obviously taken very little pride in their work, but I think the current powers-that-be are doing their best with what they have. It's not a passion project for PWE, but it won't be for anyone with means.
  • Options
    reiwulf said:

You think cryptic studios/PWE is capable and caring spinny?

Absolutely, and their actions indicate as such. An uncaring company would have dumped this title long ago. An incapable team would be unable to function with so little resources on such a tight schedule.
  • Options
    they continue with this game because it still earns them revenue, at least enough to keep it alive. don't doubt that the second this gives them red numbers they'll drop it. (as most company would, probably).
    like I said, if they cared about their players they wouldn't have dropped the foundry a year ago in NW.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    reiwulf said:

they continue with this game because it still earns them revenue, at least enough to keep it alive. don't doubt that the second this gives them red numbers they'll drop it. (as most company would, probably).

CO makes just enough to keep itself running, but not enough to generate profit - an uncaring company wouldn't consider that worth keeping around. Hell an uncaring company would drop a game that was generating some profit for not generating enough profit. If Cryptic looks like an uncaring company to you, then you haven't looked at the business world much.
    reiwulf said:

like I said, if they cared about their players they wouldn't have dropped the foundry a year ago in NW.

Do you know why the troubles with the foundry persist?
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    I wouldn't expect CO making just enough to keep itself running and not enough to generate profit being an actual criteria for the game to have been up this long by now. Profit has to be made on some level to warrant keeping the service running when investment-vs-returns is a factor. Just breaking even is never a good thing to indicate in financial year end reports.

The game has been up for coming to 8 years by now. When it comes to MMORPGs, that's already a milestone considering how many countless MMO games have crashed and burned in much shorter time. A decline in population numbers and market relevance is something unavoidable as a MMORPG gets older with profits getting lesser, and development will unavoidably suffer and slow down, unless it's based on a very popular and recognizable license. The Champions license isn't something I consider very popular and recognizable. It's very niche.

With all these things considered, this game's development trends thus far for the past few years shouldn't come off as a surprise and I don't see how it's a sign of PWE / Cryptic being "uncaring". If there's any sure-sign of them being uncaring, it would be absolutely zero development being put in the game for a number of years to render the game into true "life-support" mode, and that hasn't happened so far.
  • Options
    darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

reiwulf said:

You think cryptic studios/PWE is capable and caring spinny?

Absolutely, and their actions indicate as such. An uncaring company would have dumped this title long ago. An incapable team would be unable to function with so little resources on such a tight schedule.
    Pretty much this. COH which had more content and a larger team and more resources at the time, was unceremoniously dumped.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Do you know why the troubles with the foundry persist?

The best answer I have received is that the Devs don't know what's wrong. They did a regular season update and now the asset library part of the NW Foundry gives you blank lists and they haven't figured out why yet.

This is not to say that you can't use it at all, but it makes it extremely difficult to make new projects, since you're limited to default costumes, and can't place new props. I think you might be able to dupe props you already had placed, but you can't place new ones.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    That sounds like quite the pickle. I can see why someone would be tempted to use that as a basis for arguing that the devs are incompetent - if said someone had never worked in software development.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    the devs in NW have literally said they don't give priority to the foundry because it doesn't generate direct revenue. that's basically a quote of what they said.
    they either don't care enough to fix the foundry, or they don't know how to fix it, (for over a YEAR!)meaning they're either not caring enough or not competent enough. simple as that.
    Post edited by reiwulf on
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    faredawg1faredawg1 Posts: 15 Arc User
    Revert everything back to before the Dodge nerf. The game was fun and more populated then.

Stop Nerfing stuff.

Stop punishing creative players who end up making builds that dont fit in the tiny box the Devs thought it should be limited too.

Make everything the way it was 2-3 years ago when people actually liked playing this game. Before the mass exodus.

Advertise that the game is back to it original and better form in hopes that players are willing to give this game a chance again.

Remove anyone who is in a postion to have made the decisions that have changed this game to it current, pathetic form.
  • Options
    @ faredog: yeah, no. worst idea ever.

That would never get approved by anyone in a position to do it. It's pretty much the opposite of videogame development and would probably trigger a mass-exodus.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    faredawg1faredawg1 Posts: 15 Arc User
    Then let it die. Better to burn out, then to fade away. Cut it off before its nothing but decayed flesh. Its almost there now. I came back for an hour. It was offensive to experiance.
  • Options
    opalflameopalflame Posts: 207 Arc User
    faredawg1 said:

Then let it die. Better to burn out, then to fade away. Cut it off before its nothing but decayed flesh. Its almost there now. I came back for an hour. It was offensive to experiance.

Well that would explain a lot. There's no way you could have tried out all the changes in just an hour. If you actually looked at the changes they have made, you would see that they are actually balancing stuff and that they aren't just nerfing everything. Dodge can still be very effective and you can still be creative with builds.
    Ink@Opalsky in game
  • Options
    thfinalnightmarethfinalnightmare Posts: 15 Arc User
    I just popped in Champions for the first time in almost three years and I really love all the changes and new content.

So I'm actually not sure, make the older costume pieces look as as the new is all I can come up with.
  • Options
    There IS one thing I'm hoping will make a comeback. Power replacer gear. I mean... there's a UI element dedicated to it and quests that force you to use quest items for it.... Also a lot of the old items had costume unlocks associated with them.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Being able to punch Citizens in the face would be nice.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    nepht said:

Being able to punch Citizens in the face would be nice.

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • Options
    for the record, I still think there's many possible ways to improve the game that wouldn't require much work.
    but I fear even that is beyond what the devs are allowed to do with CO.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    doctordnadoctordna Posts: 23 Arc User
    @reiwulf Hello my friend, good to see you are active in the only Cryptic game this guy can still play. ;)

Someone online tonight was biotching about the color palette and wants a color wheel. I guess they want to make naked people? ? ?
    I don't have an issue about colors, but here is my short solution to any player who has eyeball problems. First and foremost, I should say, color is a matter of perception and people "perceive" color differently.
    1. Take 2 shots of the color palettes, the one for skins is slightly smaller than the other for clothing.
    2. Open both in Gimp or some other imaging software.
    3. Use color select to get the value of the skin you plan to use. It should show up as a color code (FDB19A) or a percentage of Red, Green, and Blue.
    4. Next search for it in the other palette. It is simple as that.
    Here is my example;
    image image
    While Jade Storm is not nude, she does wear some very revealing clothing. Remember kiddies, naked people have very little influence in society.

Played "Star Trek Online" from 2011 - 2016
    Played "Neverwinter Online" from 2014 - 2016
    Still playing "Champions Online" on Linux Kubuntu 14.04 OS
  • Options
    nice to see you around! and yes I play CO, not much but it's fun to create the characters I want... even if that's pretty much most of what I do.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    velocity1993velocity1993 Posts: 1 Arc User
    Easy:

-add spear, water, nature power sets
    -add some more sliders to match STO's level of customisation
    -maybe town down the zen prices a teeeny tiny bit... especially for stuff like retcon
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    If i was a dev i would live stream myself playing the game and interacting with other players, during events and gatherings. I would show off the detail of the tailor and easy flow of the powers and mechanics....then get testimonials from people in game. To help promote it...on google, twitter, facebook and youtube. Then air the video at a gaming shows/cons. Cryptic needs to give this game more attention, you only get out of something what you put into it. Many of us have been loyal and want to see this game excel and be around for a long time!

^but let me introduce them to pvp! >: 3

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Devs have done a few live streams in the past . . . maybe two years ago?

It's a good idea

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Posts: 409 Arc User

If i was a dev i would live stream myself playing the game and interacting with other players, during events and gatherings. I would show off the detail of the tailor and easy flow of the powers and mechanics....then get testimonials from people in game. To help promote it...on google, twitter, facebook and youtube. Then air the video at a gaming shows/cons. Cryptic needs to give this game more attention, you only get out of something what you put into it. Many of us have been loyal and want to see this game excel and be around for a long time!

^but let me introduce them to pvp! >: 3

Yep, livestreaming and vids at cons would be a great way to promote the game cheaply. They should also show off one of Champs greatest strengths - the variety of costuming/character gen along with auras. No other game even comes close to this level of customization (well, except other Cryptic games :tongue: ).

Awesome picture BTW, Catstar. ;)
  • Options
    Kaiserin should do a live stream uwu I'm sure she would love to be bombarded with questions in the chat that she can only answer with the phrase "Cryptic maybe" `D`
  • Options
    One thing I've noticed lately: Inertial Dampening Field is the only toggle power you have to wait until a later level to get on a FF character. My question is, why?

Think about it: If you are playing a tank, IDF is not going to make easy content easier. It's powered by your level and super stats. It won't break anything if you take 3 block damage instead of 4. Even at 15, when you get your 3rd SS, you won't have high enough stat numbers to break the game. You'll just do less damage, and lose less HP on hit.

Oddly enough, it was a non-tank (using Medical Nanites) that made me think of this. While certain fights were still easy enough, there are a few mobs who debuff you, which can be a bit annoying to a squishy character. Once I got IDF, I did a little better, but it would have been nice not to have to wait for it. I wound't have had to wait for a damage toggle, or for Compassion.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    - win big in a lottery... 10x in a row.
    - buy company
    - up the staff. ALOT.
    - engine upgrade
    - expand Nemesis system (more layers of personality traits; different motivations towards the hero; different mission sets based on Nemesis origins (no hightech Doomrays for Undead Archmages anymore)).
    - More and bigger open world zones with more interior and side-diversion fluff stuff (MC has a million coffee shops but none serving). It makes the world alive and can be a staging ground for armed robberies etc.
    - Secret ID system (with minigames and some personal quests)
    - usable vehicles (non flying, with wheels on the ground) that are not character morphs (i.e. GTA5)
    - customizable sidekick
  • Options
    ohwll#5698 ohwll Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    - Customisable vehicles / vehicle tailor / vehicle paintjobs
    - More beast outfits
    - More outfits in general
    - More diverse body customisations / more sliders
    - Weapons for Unarmed and Might ATs, like gloves or knuckles, but really extravagant ones, just like swords are really massive and unique
    - More extravagant skills for Melee ATs. Why should only ranged ATs get super glowy spectacular skills?
    - HEX-type colour picker
    - More Celestial damage skills
  • Options
    Inertial Dampening Field is the only toggle power you have to wait until a later level to get on a FF character. My question is, why?

IDF is an area/team buff. That's quite powerful for a toggle form; the only other similar powers with such broad effects are slotted passives. It also stacks (to a limited extent), so in a multiplayer environment the DPS characters can trade a reduction in their individual damage for a pretty strong reduction in collective damage taken. It makes quite a difference, so the power is restricted to a higher Tier. Otherwise you'd get lowbie teams with IDF steamrollering everything....
  • Options
    like they don't do that already, assuming everyone knows what they're doing?​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    I still find myself using it during Grab Alerts with low-level team mates. If they wipe during the intial part of the encounter then activating IDF usually helps them out a great deal.