test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What do Elder Worms look like without the armored suits?

tilartatilarta Posts: 291 Arc User
edited January 2017 in Champions Online Discussion
I started to wonder why an Elder Worm wears a power armor suit.
I had always assumed it is because they are a literal worm without limbs and that's why they wear the suits, so they have hands and the ability to walk.

Someone suggested that it's because only their head transforms and they retain a humanoid body.

But after examining one of their suits closely, that theory didn't hold up:
EWpwaArm
As you can see here, it is a fully mechanical limb, there is no organic limb inside the armor.
So they must be actual worms.

Has it ever been stated or shown what an Elder Worm looks like without it's armor?

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(

Comments

• Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    I always figured they were like this guy:

rsz_weirdweapons2.jpg​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Huh... that still doesn't explain the suit with robot arms. What happened there?​​
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Prosthetics? **** will happen to you in a war. :)
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    nero6879nero6879 Posts: 17 Arc User
    Champions Online may be based off the PnP version, but there are still plenty of distinct differences. Even if you ignore everything below the neck, you can clearly see that Elder Worms in the PnP version is cosmetically different from CO's rendition of them.

In the Soul Siphon Alert, you're tasked with stopping a villain from activating an Elder Worm artifact that transforms people into Elder Worms. The worms that the civilians are transformed into are likely what most Elder Worms look like without their power armor.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    Worms I would guess.
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Sometimes in CO if you do enough damage to destroy an Elder Worm's humidity suit without killing it, you can see it scampering away. Essentially a limbless worm. Which of course begs the question of how they developed tools and technology in the first place; but Cryptic was clearly going for a look rather than logic. In the PnP game it isn't an issue. :p
  • Options
    Well they got all them telepathy powers, they probably used those​​
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    maybe TK too? :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    Well they can push giant heroes around like pillows so I'm sure they could push a bunch of science stuff around until it mashes together into a power suit.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I was thinking they did use their psychokinesis abilities to fabricate a power armor suit, at least inititally.
    These days they probably have a factory that churns them out.

I wonder at what point they used technology though.
    Before that time, it might have been just a regular suit of armor that they had to move with their psychokinetic abilities.
    Which might have put them at a disadvantage, since some of their mental power was being used to animate the armor, they couldn't use it all to fight with.
    Probably another reason they invented the power armor suits, if it moves by itself, then you can dedicate all your mental abilities to defense or offense.

Another possiblity is that they had their human slaves construct it for them.
    Either through mind control or threat of death.
    On occasion, they have mentioned they keep slaves, probably to do all the menial/heavy manual labor they feel is beneath them.

Those creatures in the video aren't Elder Worms, they're Annelid Worms, the equivalent of an trained attack animal.
    You sometimes see them around Elder Worms.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    Well they got all them telepathy powers, they probably used those

This explains why you think the telepathy set is "doing fine" you confuse it with telekinesis.
    I think that person's just lacking in mental prowess in general. ;)​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    gradii said:

spinnytop said:

Well they got all them telepathy powers, they probably used those​​

This explains why you think the telepathy set is "doing fine" you confuse it with telekinesis.
    No I think Telepathy is fine because I'm better at the game than you :'3
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    You three STAP its this type of talk that is going to open a whole can of worms.

You see what I did there? 8D

*tumbleweed* *cricket noises*

Screw you guys ¬_¬

*storms off brandishing a certain middle digit at crowd*
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    nepht said:

It's this type of talk that is going to open a whole can of worms.

And now I'm imagining how big a can you need to put Elder Worms inside.

Although, technically, aren't they already a canned worm?
    They are in a metal suit after all!

Add that to the list of Elder Worm phobias, a can opener!
    I'm just going out to taunt them with one.

That picture of the spaceship was interesting, I didn't think they had spaceflight capability.
    From what the lore says ingame, they've always lived on this planet.
    I am wondering though, if they had the capability, would they start spreading their conquest to other planets as well?

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Nah, Golden Seraph made an oblique comment to the effect they weren't native to Earth.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    tilarta said:

And now I'm imagining how big a can you need to put Elder Worms inside.

The can would have to be pretty big. As extensively described in Champions PnP sources, the Elder Worm are indeed extraterrestrial in origin, with a history going back eight hundred millennia. Half a million years ago they were the tyrannical rulers of half the Milky Way Galaxy. But an eon-long war with the other great galactic power of that era, the Malvans, led to the Worms' near-extinction. Around 150,000 BC one group of Elder Worm, including their hereditary supreme leader (of whom the Slug is a descendant), sought to hide from the Malvans on a primitive backwater planet -- Earth.

The Elder Worm enslaved early homo sapiens and conducted various experiments on them, including forced inter-breeding. (Yeah, I don't like to imagine that either.) :s That's the source of the fragmentary Worm DNA in humans' genetic code allowing the Slug to transform them into Elder Worms. But 100,000 year ago Humanity overthrew the Worm, with the help of our evolving proto-gods and, secretly, the Empyreans. The surviving Worm hid and hibernated until accidentally awakened in the modern era.

There are a few other enclaves of Elder Worm and their servant races hidden on other planets, some hibernating, others active. Some of them retain samples of their technology, including spacecraft, which if assembled together would be formidable. The Slug is unaware of them, but a few of these enclaves have sensed their leader's awakening, and if they learned his location would flock to his banner.

Elder Worm technology is very powerful, but quite alien-seeming to Humans for several reasons, not the least of which is that it often incorporates Qliphothic magic.
  • Options
    BTW even in the PnP version of the setting, where the Elder Worm have limbs, they still frequently wear the suits. They evolved in a hot humid environment, so are very sensitive to cooler temperatures and drier air.