test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reaper's Caress vs. Slash: Just To Be Sure

ninjapiffninjapiff Posts: 282 Arc User
Alright, from looking at and testing the new Slash SB combo, I've come to this conclusion: Slash is kinda like the old version of BSN's Shred; 25% chance to bleed on first hit, 25% chance on 2nd hit, and 50% chance on third. Slash's bleed chance production, additionally, doesn't seem to be affected by Focus stacks like Reaper's Caress is, which I suppose makes Slash slightly better for cross-powerset building.

As for raw damage, it appears that Slash does slightly more damage per hit, though Reaper's Caress hits twice on the third combo swing, making RC deal the most damage per combo. Slash's cost is lower than RC's, though (as of right now), Slash doesn't have any advantages besides the Shredded one. RC has that same advantage as well as Accel. Metab. and iirc another that I can't recall right now.

As it stands right now, I don't think Slash is "better" than Reaper's Caress. It might work better for some, and might prove to be worthwhile in Str-based Enrage builds (would be nice if Slash had some sort of knockdown, hmm?) but as long as you're using Focus Reaper's Caress will be better.

Oh, and I've noticed that sometimes on the 2nd swing of Slash your weapon will mysteriously morph into the new Knife weapon skin.
It makes sense, if you don't think about it.

Comments

• cheesesloppycheesesloppy Posts: 245 Arc User
    The way it looks, Reaper's Caress for Focus builds, Slash for everything else. Also another valid point, Caress is .3 > .4 > 1sec for activation times. Slash is .4 > .4 > .63. Another idea is that you can take both if you wanted to. Take Slash because it's faster for the Shredded adv, make Caress rank 3 for maximum damage.
  • ninjapiffninjapiff Posts: 282 Arc User
    That's pretty much what I had thought, yeah.

As for the bit about activation times, don't forget that although the 3rd swing of Caress takes 1 second, it strikes twice. Overall, Caress will most likely hit the target more often than Slash in the same amount of time.
    It makes sense, if you don't think about it.
    They're pretty much equivalent, numbers' wise, but Slash is great for non-finesse toons, like swinging a small knife. Reapers' Caress is probably the best melee animation in the game, but it practically demands a katana. I think having both options is great, allows for different types of toons.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    I'm not even sure why they chose to add a redundant ability like Slash. All that really needed to happen was a change to Reaper's Caress to make it not so dependent on Focus-based forms for bleed application. Something like 25%/25%/100%, or even 0%/0%/100% would be just fine.

As things stand now, Slash is pretty unimpressive compared to RC, especially its attack arcs: 180/180/30 vs RC's 240/240/360. Really, that 30 degree arc on the final hit has to be a typo or something.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • friezalivesonfriezaliveson Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I can tell you that Shred only hits 3 targets, RC hits 5, Slash also hits 5 but it bleeds for 25%, where as Shred(on LIVE) bleeds for 20%, and RC only bleeds for 15% chance. From a basic stand point.

Though all three have a Shredded Advantage just under different names, names don't matter, I'm always told that you want to rank 2 it with a shredded debuff for more physical damage penetration. Can't go wrong with that. I'm going to remove Shred on one of my alts and put in Slash, I have the imaginary melee weapons so I'm sure it will be bomb. o3o

I use a non-focus bleed toon the one with AoTB/WoTW, so that's fine as is.
This discussion has been closed.