test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

moved the game folder and now it is downloading it all again?

I had to move the champions online folder, and now I can't play the game, it tried to redownload the whole thing again.
is there something I can do so it recognizes it is still there instead of having to wait for 5 hours or so for it to download again and having 2 game folders on my HD using up space? :S
natesig.jpg

Comments

• Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    Do you use a shortcut to start CO? If so, did you update the shortcut or check the path it takes to ensure that it calls to the right location? You may need to create a new shortcut from the new location and try running it then. I used to have 3 different CO installations (for whatever reason) and they would all call to the same location, regardless of which one I was trying to use.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I use the direct launcher, in the champions online_en folder, not a shortcut. but when launching the launcher, it tries to redownload everything. :S
    and If I execute it from the game client itself, it stays at "connecting to account server" and then disconnects.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    My guess now is the launcher doesn't recognize the new location, instead trying to download to the old one. Perhaps see if that's true or false?

If it isn't, then try to get the launcher to run Force Verify instead so it can do a proper check of the game's integrity. If it is, then there's a pathing problem which may need a PC restart before I resort to the use of the Registry.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I had a similar issue when I tried moving my game folder to another local disk. My best guess is that the launcher software is dependent on a relevant Windows registry entry only recognizing the directory path that the game was originally installed on.

Therefore if you manually moved the game's location, the launcher should assigns that new location entry for the game in the registry and that's why it has to download everything again.

I don't remember if I tried editing the registry entry and putting in the new directory path, but I found that it's better to just leave the game where it is to avoid headaches. If the drive is running out of space, try moving other things instead.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    You might be able to trick it by leaving a shortcut in the old location. Or just reinstall at the new location. otherwise it's going to keep rebuilding the game data every time you move it. It's setup in the windows registry that way. If you could find all of the relevant registry entries you could manually change it, but that's hard, and most people are better off reinstalling the game.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Wait, so you like...moved the program folder and its contents to a different location on your PC? O.o

Yeah don't do that. A lot of programs tend to use absolute paths to remember where everything is when they initially get set up. By moving the folder, you probably broke a fair amount of things. At this point, you might as well just reinstall.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    Gotta change the path the executable looks to. Aka where it looks to search for data files also you can rebuild file structure anytime you want to if know what you are doing.