test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

In-Game Anger

eviltwintwoeviltwintwo Posts: 351 Arc User
I had something happen to me tonight that I never imagined would ever happen to me. Someone put me on their ignore list because I said something negative about a particular archetype.

See, I really wanted to like this AT, so I played it up to level 14 and then got the mission "Let's Stop a Riot". If you notice, the mobs in the front room of that mission are "weak", meaning it takes less effort to KO them than normal, though there are a lot of them. I got defeated. It wasn't completely horrible; it only took me one more try to get them all, and, although I did get low on health a couple more times, I didn't go down again.

The thing that bothered me about this was that I typically don't come that close to going down in that mission, even with other AT's. So in a moment of frustration (and maybe a mistake on my part), I asked in zone when that AT became fun. I got the usual--a mix of sympathetic/helpful comments and some comments that made me roll my eyes ("play another archetype"--really? I'd have never figured that one out! But still, not too insulting.).

But one person went beyond that, really getting angry at me. I sent that player a tell (perhaps my second mistake), requesting that he/she not make it personal. (We all play according to our own styles, right?) At first I thought he/she didn't see my tell, and I was about to log the character off and go about my business when I received a reply. And yes, it was an angry one. In an attempt to find out why the person was so angry, I responded (very likely my third mistake), only to receive yet another overly negative tell. My last attempt to find out what in the world was going on received "so-and-so is ignoring you".

Well, not much I can do about that, now, is there? I never did figure out anything about why so-and-so was so angry. I was under the impression that I could like or dislike AT's as I pleased, like everyone else. Between that person taking my growling WAY too seriously and then not bothering to explain why it was so incredibly offensive, I am left totally baffled that someone would disagree so thoroughly without even taking the time to offer any advice on how to play the character, which I was actually expecting when I zoned about it. (What else would happen to such a message in zone?)

Well, I may not vent about anything in zone again for a while, I really don't go online planning or intending to offend someone so much they put me on ignore. But maybe by posting this I can not only get rid of any remaining frustration/bewilderment on my part and offer the following piece of advice to my fellow players:

If someone gets a little frustrated and vents a little in the game (or on the forums, or whatever), let them. Everyone gets a little frustrated from time to time. Offer positive advice if you have it, offer an alternative if you can, and remember the venter's frustration will fade, usually within a few minutes.

Some other players did offer helpful advice, and mentioned AT's they thought were more survivable for soloing. I truly appreciate the responses of these players, and will give their words due consideration (though unfortunately I don't think I have the AT most mentioned; oh well).

Thanks for reading, and have fun!!

Comments

• Options
    Well, I wasn't expecting that either. By putting the 'at sign' in front of 'so-and-so', I actually created a link. Thank goodness that link leads to "user not found". I would really REALLY feel sheepish if I inadvertently linked a player that had nothing to do with this to this post. Still, it would be nice if I could find a way to edit this so I can remove that. (Trying now.)
  • Options
    Found it. At-sign removed.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    There are people around here who get upset if you dare to say something they disagree with. Don't worry though, there are plenty of us that realize that you are entitled to your opinion and won't go all butt crazy at you for saying a thing.
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Pfft. Be glad you didn't insult Wolverine. That's been known to cause people to report spam on you to chatban you.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Just curious - which AT?​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Welcome to the Zone.
    And to the Internet.
    You can offend people by sneezing on the other size of the universe.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

There are people around here who get upset if you dare to say something they disagree with. Don't worry though, there are plenty of us that realize that you are entitled to your opinion and won't go all butt crazy at you for saying a thing.

Thanks, Spinny. Of course, since that person has me on ignore it's not going to be much of an issue (unless he/she goes off on my other account for some reason).

I have no plans to hold a grudge over a video game character, as that would be even worse. Nevertheless, I wish I'd been able to settle things amicably; I don't like offending, even if I'm not "in the wrong".
  • Options
    kallethen said:

Pfft. Be glad you didn't insult Wolverine. That's been known to cause people to report spam on you to chatban you.​​

Hahaha! I will definitely heed your warning.
  • Options

Welcome to the Zone.
    And to the Internet.
    You can offend people by sneezing on the other size of the universe.

True. CO is, for the most part, quite friendly, a fact that I appreciate. I play one other MMORPG, and the community in that one is a little less friendly; though I've heard there are some that are rage-fests. Makes me appreciate the CO comm even more.
  • Options
    jonsills said:

Note that this is from a soloing perspective.

It was The Unleashed. POSITIVE: The damage is amazing. I had no complaints about that. NEGATIVE: That force field power you get instead of a leap-in. For such a fragile character dependent on downing multiple targets quickly, separating one from the crowd sets you up to take more damage. Add to that the power would fail against basic bad guys and was completely useless on high-rank mobs (Ludwig, for example). Unstoppable's defensive bonuses didn't seem to help.

I wanted to like this AT so badly, but the constant frustration of being endangered/defeated so often by basic bad guys ruined it for me. If an AT isn't fun solo I'm not going to continue it. The Unleashed doesn't fit my playstyle.

One of the arguments that person used on me was that he/she took down major bad guys with this AT. I can see that; I handled Kevin Poe and Ludwig (twice). But then I got nickel-and-dimed by "weak"-labeled basic mobs. I'm probably suffering from City of Heroes Syndrome; scrappers were much more survivable melee dps characters; though it should be noted that even in that game there were some armor powers that were better in general gameplay than others.

This AT is probably fine at higher levels with good gear; some people in the chat said as much. And if I teamed more I'd probably love it.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    that mission is annoying because you need powerful AoE or you're kinda screwed. But only for the first room....
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Starting out, the Unleashed can be hard to manage. But once you get BCR, Eye of the Storm and Dragon's Wrath, the AT is pretty much a decent glass cannon.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Yeah, the Unleashed gets fun when you get the one power that lets you commit damage in a sphere around yourself (that's Eye of the Storm, right?). You may need to watch your gear, especially at low levels, but once you turn yourself into a portable Cuisinart, the Unleashed is a beast.​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options

that mission is annoying because you need powerful AoE or you're kinda screwed. But only for the first room....

It can be a pain, definitely. However, I've been able to handle it with most AT's just fine. With this one, I had to get into melee range and hope and pray I could down the initial baddies and get to one side of the room before the others all converged. The timing of the two doors opening isn't the same every time, and this time they seemed to open rather quickly; handling rushes like this is intrinsic to a soloing character, as I'm sure you are aware.

I keep trying to remember if any of my other AT's ever got defeated in this room; I'm almost certain one or two did, though I can't seem to clearly remember--assuming that's because it's been a while. It's not like it's so incredibly inconvenient--you respawn at the entryway.

At any rate my expectations for what a melee class should be able to do are my own imperfect expectations after all. :wink:

Thanks for the post, and have a great day.
  • Options

Starting out, the Unleashed can be hard to manage. But once you get BCR, Eye of the Storm and Dragon's Wrath, the AT is pretty much a decent glass cannon.

I really wish BCR and Eye of the Storm came earlier. With a heal and some absorption, things could have been different, even with my playstyle (which I will never claim is perfect). But you can only get one power every few levels, and the way they are set apparently doesn't suit me. My loss, probably.

Thanks for the reply, btw. I have EotS on a freeform, and it's very good. Of course, I got it much earlier than the AT does.
  • Options
    Honestly most missions don't have THAT many weaklings bum rush you all at once...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I've just finished levelling an Unleashed to 40. Then did the Colossus attack with it.
    doing nothing but spam dragons wrath , yes you can do it. 1.4million damage. mercenery gear and normal purple secondaries.

force snap is for getting their attention, so they run to you. after you get eye of the storm, you just charge into a group.

a lot of AT's are a problem at low levels.
    once you get to 17 on your unleashed, you have no problems the rest of the time.
    Yes I'm levelling by missions.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    the unleashed is one of the BEST free ATs you can get; it might not have the best powerset early level, but it's downright SCARY at higher levels, especially after getting force shield with its sheath advantage​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User

jonsills said:

It was The Unleashed.
    Ah of course. Now I understand everything. I was in zone during this particular conversation in chat.

Let's just say if a little certain "monster" was angry and being offensive, it was to get this reaction out of you. This "monster" has been banned multiple times in the past exactly for this same reason on his ongoing crusade to get people to stop playing this game cause it sucks, yet he is the one that always comes back.

So do what most of us do and upon detecting any more of this "monsters" just add them to ignore list.

And as I said last night in chat, the Unleashed is one of the most powerful ATs at it's job, which is DPSing. Survivability may be a bit of an issue but you can just leave out some points off Recovery and stack them on Con, but even if you don't the Unleashed excels at doing quick bursts of damage with Dragon's Wrath and taking care of groups of mobs with Eye of the Storm. Don't try to play it as anything else other than DPS and you won't be dissapointed.
  • Options
    lezard21 said:

jonsills said:

It was The Unleashed.
    Ah of course. Now I understand everything. I was in zone during this particular conversation in chat.

Let's just say if a little certain "monster" was angry and being offensive, it was to get this reaction out of you. This "monster" has been banned multiple times in the past exactly for this same reason on his ongoing crusade to get people to stop playing this game cause it sucks, yet he is the one that always comes back.

So do what most of us do and upon detecting any more of this "monsters" just add them to ignore list.

And as I said last night in chat, the Unleashed is one of the most powerful ATs at it's job, which is DPSing. Survivability may be a bit of an issue but you can just leave out some points off Recovery and stack them on Con, but even if you don't the Unleashed excels at doing quick bursts of damage with Dragon's Wrath and taking care of groups of mobs with Eye of the Storm. Don't try to play it as anything else other than DPS and you won't be dissapointed.
    Funny I'd assume I would recall this situation or the mysterious nonexistant PM I was sent by the OP. And as for you quite wrong about me on most accords like most but I am use to it at this point. And I was never offensive simply offered my own personal view on the Unleashed Archtype. So yes hate on me it is the easiest path rather than the engaging path of wisdom. But no worries won't see me ever again best of luck fellow gamers in life and your pursuits of happiness.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    FYI--rebornmonster is NOT the player I was referring to. I will never say that player's name on the forum because it doesn't matter (and it would probably get me flagged). One person ignoring me for a silly reason is not the end of the world.
  • Options
    Thanks guys for all your replies on The Unleashed. At this time I have chosen to (re-)try another AT, but will keep the info in mind for future reference. I said it didn't I? I WANT to like the AT. I'll try it again someday, maybe it'll click with me.

Have fun, and keep playing!
  • Options
    Are you the guy who was asking me for help to do Brain Freeze? It might be a coincidence but that player was using Unleashed and had similar issues with not knowing how to make the class work right.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

Are you the guy who was asking me for help to do Brain Freeze? It might be a coincidence but that player was using Unleashed and had similar issues with not knowing how to make the class work right.

No it wasn't me.