test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forum Malvanum: Nemesis Wave

grimvanegrimvane Posts: 49 Arc User
When I first heard that there was a 5 man lair called NemCon, I immediately thought of a 5v5 no holds barred brawl in an arena setting. But that isn't what NemCon is, and that's ok, because NemCon does something else that I always thought would be neat, which is to start players out in separate locations and have them fight their way to each other.

BUT... now that Forum Malvanum has been introduced, that arena showdown I always wanted is now possible. The idea is to have a Nemesis wave inserted into the FM rotation. The nemeses would be pooled from all existing team nemeses first, not just current ones. For example, if four team members have yet to create a nemesis, and you have created 5, all five of your nemeses would populate this wave.

Pros:
1. Adds variety to the enemy roster. The emcee wouldn't be restricted to that "another group of earth representatives" or whatever line he uses to introduce all the earth mobs. I don't know how feasible it would be to have a new line recorded but maybe something could be spliced together, or maybe they could just burst in with a voice bubble, like the intro in the museum heist nemesis mission.

2. Adds value to the existing content. The more opportunities I have to run into user-created nemeses, whether my own or someone elses, the better. The more opportunites I have to show off my own nemeses, the better. The nemesis alerts are fairly popular, imo. I don't think it is just for the 200 Questionite. I think this would encourage participation in the Nemesis System and people (in general) would look forward to this round in FM, even if it took a little longer or was more difficult than a standard round.

Cons:
1. Dev time. $
2. Maybe new voice asset. $
3. This might be a bad idea. I'm picturing a 5v5 battle, not 5 heroes focusing 1 villain and ignoring the other four, then three, then two, and finally ganging up on the last one. They're working together and helping each other out, but they also have their hands full with whatever nemesis has locked onto them. A person should at least need to pay attention and use block if they are going to ignore their own aggro'd nem to help someone else first. Maybe if no one is attacking a nemesis he gets a buff that allows him to continuously summon minions.

Comments

• Options
    sinlothbazursinlothbazur Posts: 28 Arc User
    I like the idea, it should replace the wave right before Firewing. Seriously after beating IC and Duratok why would they throw more gang fodder at us? Silly
  • Options
    gradii said:

Only the current Nemesis should appear in the nemesis waves becuase of the current inability to delete nemesis.

Interesting, I hadn't considered that some people might have nemeses in their stable that they wouldn't want to be available. Sure, only current nemesis and fill in any gaps with generic nemeses.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    And for groups with characters with out nemesis do we get 5 Liliths instead?
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    draogn said:

Yep, and good luck to such a group.
  • Options
    draogn said:

No. That would be a terrible implementation of this idea.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Isn't there an assortment on not-a-real-nemesis options?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    gradii said:

Isn't there an assortment on not-a-real-nemesis options?

They really need to use those villains from the nemesis missions like Dread Metal, Landshark, and Cybercide.
    And High Voltage, etc. That's what I mean by generic nemeses to fill in any gaps (if someone hasn't made one yet).
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    draogn said:

Nah, you'll get a Lilith, a BackStab, a Stitches, and 2 randomly selected out of the 3... (unless I missed one... though I'm pretty sure I am missing one...)
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Oops.

I'm recently back after a 4-5 year break. I've played Nemesis Missions, NemCon and Nemesis alerts. I've farmed the Lava Temple. Nemesis Missions feature my Nemeses. Nemesis alerts feature my nemesis, someone else's nemesis, OR in some situations, IF someone has not created a nemesis, what I refer to as a generic nemesis, like High Voltage.

The idea, which is mine btw, is that FM will have a Nemesis Wave added to the rotation. This "Nemesis Wave", as I call it, would be populated by Nemeses, either user-created (preferably), OR, in the event that a user-created Nemesis is not available, the game would randomly select from the pool of Cryptic-created Nemeses.

So...
    gradii said:

As long as the nemesis wave is only 5 buffed up Nemesis, there should be no need for generics.

Unless one of the members of your party hasn't created a nemesis, in which event, one would need to be provided for him. Do you even five?

And...
    gradii said:

Those aren't generic nemesis at all. do you even play the nemesis missions?

Are you saying...

1. ... that High Voltage, and other nemeses, that appear at the end of Nemesis Alerts, and are not user created, but were created by Cryptic, are not generic nemeses?

OR

2. Are you saying that Dread Metal, Landshark, and Cybercide are not generic nemeses?

If #1, what is a good term to use for Cryptic created nemesis villians?

If #2, Yes. Yes, I play Nemesis missions. I also happen to know what the word nemesis means, and I understand how Cryptic uses this word in relation to their content. I created this idea thread. I'm not the person trying to insert non-nemeses into the nemesis wave. Do you even context and comprehend complete paragraphs?

Basically, if it is NOT a nemesis (user or Cryptic created), then it doesn't belong in the initial NEMESIS wave. It can be SPAWNED by a nemesis as part of a proposed mechanic listed in the Cons section of the OP (#3).

So... Dread Metal, Landshark, and Cybercide:

1. Can be spawned BY a nemesis in the nemesis wave, as part of a proposed mechanic listed in the Cons section of the OP (#3).
    2. Can be featured in their own "Supervillain" wave, if someone wants to propose that idea.

High Voltage and other Cryptic created nemeses:
    1. Can be spawned AS a nemesis in the nemesis wave, in the event that one or more of the FM team members has not yet created a nemesis.

I did not realize that YOU were suggesting using non-nemeses in the initial nemesis wave. Does that clear it up for you?

And before you ask, when I say "wave" I mean round, not that thing you find in the ocean. And when I say "round" I mean wave, not that thing that you use to describe a circle...

TL: DR
    I think Foxbat should wave at our heroes for 2 minutes during the Forum Malvanum (timer runs down during intro cutscene). Then we either randomly advance or lose. I call this the "Nemesis Wave."

edit: added more snark
    Post edited by grimvane on
  • Options
    aww.. why not Lilith and Backstab? :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    sinlothbazursinlothbazur Posts: 28 Arc User
    I see what he is talking about. Nem-Grab/Smash villains who are randomly generated are one thing but in Nem-Missions we encounter some somewhat interesting sub-villains like Dragon King, Morticus, Crucible, Dr Ohm, etc which are not randomly generated in their design/powers/name

These villains are not Nemeses, they are just under-used villains. The random ones (Lilith, stitches, etc) are "placeholders" for Nemeses and nobody likes them.

Essentially this idea also highlights the old request that cryptic set up a system that does away with the randomly-generated (what we call Generic in-game) Nemeses by either giving team-leader priority in Smash/Grab to someone with an active Nemesis or by replacing the generic Nemesis generation process with a random selection of those previously-mentioned under-used Villains like Black Scorpion, Diode, the Cadaver, etc
  • Options
    gradii said:

...they're not all pestilence with random generator costumes, some THOUGHT was put into them...

No one wants to see Lilth and Backstab.

I don't know if this is a bug, limitation, lazy design, or a lack of technical knowhow but it is an eyesore and an embarassment. I have never had a conversation involving the Nemesis alerts that did not involve someone directly mentioning or alluding to this subject. I understood what draogn meant with his comment, that it was rhetorical and sarcastic. My response remains the same:
    grimvane said:

No. That would be a terrible implementation of this idea.

I barely even want to talk about it, and I certainly don't want to derail the thread with it. It is inherent in my idea that Cryptic upholds their end of the bargain by putting "some THOUGHT" into it. It's not just that they are all pestilence, not for me anyway, it's that they could be so much more. More interesting. More fun. It is always a dissappointment to encounter a placeholder nemesis in an alert. The unrealized potential just makes it worse.

...These villains are not Nemeses, they are just under-used villains. The random ones (Lilith, stitches, etc) are "placeholders" for Nemeses and nobody likes them...

Just to clarify, my idea is to polish the "placeholder generics" to be suitable for the nemesis wave, basically give them the same level of attention as the sub-villains.

As a general principle, I think that the "sub-villains like Dragon King, Morticus, Crucible, Dr Ohm, etc" are:
    1. A good example of what a placeholder nemesis should be.
    2. An untapped resource in a game where people are grumbling about the reuse of assets in new content or events.

CORRECTION: The other night I que'd for Nemesis smash. The Nemesis was named High Voltage. His costume looked lame and uninspired and his name was pretty generic so I assumed he was a Cryptic "placeholder" nemesis. (Sorry Cryptic but it's true.) I don't remember if he used pestilence or not. If this was actually someone's user created nemesis then I can see where some of the confuson is being generated.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    This would be cool, but I'd rather see it before Duratok/Ironclad (because most groups never get past that awful fight) but above all else, all I really want for FM is a drastic reduction in cutscene time.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    "because most groups never get past that awful fight"

lol wut? it's harder than the others, but I've never seen a group fail it.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    you've never seen my groups then...that's where 90% of the matches end - assuming they even reach the OP defense duo in the first place​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited May 2016

I'm referring to the Duratok + Ironclad fight. Unless you only ever run it with premade groups of BiS-geared players, you've seen groups run out of time on this fight. Everyone has. The odds of that you've run FM at least semi-regularly with random pugs that have never once failed that fight are astronomically stacked against you.

While it's true that it's not a hard fight in terms of mechanics (lol what mechanics) or damage output, the fact that it's 2 tank foes on a timer (which starts ticking down during the irritating cut scene) means that everyone needs to be on their DPS game. Random pugs tend to get odd crap like 2 tanks, or 3 healers, etc. Any one of those groups is going to fail what's effectively just a patchwerk DPS race.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options

I've seen many MANY groups fail it... it's no where near being unfailable...
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    Well, I haven't don FM that often so maybe I got lucky?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I always thought the timer in FM had been bodged but was as intended? Isn't it that no-one could work the original code so they added the length of the cut scene to the countdown?
  • Options

I always thought the timer in FM had been bodged but was as intended? Isn't it that no-one could work the original code so they added the length of the cut scene to the countdown?

Nope... but that would be an acceptable solution... since usually the 5-15 seconds we lose from the cutscene is what the team needed to win... I've been in numerous groups that failed by a mere ~5k HP... just a couple extra seconds would have meant victory in those groups...
    jniKqKJ.png