test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Merc to Justice: What do you get?

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
So since the topic gets thrown around a lot, I decided to find out what you actually get when you upgrade from mercenary gear to justice gear. First thing I did was buy the lower tier gear, which cost me in total 183G. Most of that expense was the Merc gear. I didn't buy any mods, but by the look of the exchange that would run you another 60-80G. Since you can run content to get these things, that puts the expense somewhere between 0 to 243G, approximately.

When it came to slotting, I mirrored the stats on my own gear in the lower tier gear, except that I used Rank 5 mods in all slots - this wasn't too much of a downgrade since I run a mix of rank 5 and 6 mods in my gear. I slapped each set on, recorded the stats, and this is what I got.

Super Stats

Dex: 183 > 288
Int: 88 > 113
Ego: 434 > 483

Everything else stayed the same. My dex went up more than anything else because that's what I have slotted in my secondaries, and since I took the +20 secondaries so I could mirror the stats of my TA secondaries, that's where the most significant gain was seen. In total, upgrading to the TA secondaries gains you a net increase of 105 stat points; when it comes to super stats, TA secondaries are a much bigger deal than Justice gear.

Damage

Offense: 219.4 > 509.6
Attack Damage: 3186 > 3493

A total increase in actual damage of 9%. It's not nothing... but it's not astounding either. I think folks would be upset if your damage increased by anything less than this for the effort you have to put into getting the gear, and it's only this much thanks to the wardicator loop.

Crit: 33.5% > 36.9%
Severity: 107.8% > 121.3%

I'm actually surprised how much severity I got from +2.5 critical severity rating on the offense primary. About 2% came from increased ego, and the rest was from just that rating. Not bad. Crit chance went up by 3%, nothing to write home about.

Defense

Hit Points: No change

Since I don't stat con, there was no change here. However for someone who does stat con, the TA secondaries could net you an extra 1500 hit points, not bad.

Defense: 199.1 > 312.3
Mitigation: 32% > 43%

11% less damage taken, again I think folks would be upset if after all that effort they didn't get at least this much. Again, this is primarily thanks to the guardicator loop inflating the actual gains between offense and defense. It's not nothing, but it's not astounding either. It takes my effective hit points from 4955 to 5450.

Dodge: 26% > 31.4%
Avoidance: 57.1% > 51.3%

I actually lost some avoidance here, trading 6% avoidance for 5% dodge chance, due to the way the dodge becomes spread between dodge and avoidance on the justice gear. Nothing really significant going on here.

Other than this, nothing changed. So, does 9% more damage and 11% more mitigation take someone from "average player" to "elite status"? More importantly, is that increase worth the effort of getting Justice Gear to you? Now that you know the actual numbers involved you can make a more informed decision about what you'll spend your time doing.

Comments

• Options
    squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Is this ignoring the extra core mod you get in each primary with justice gear compared to merc? I honestly can't tell.

The stat gain is a pretty big deal, due to its interactions with energy generation on toggle forms and EUs. I've had several builds where going to justice gear was sufficient to ignore my energy builder entirely. That's a big deal.

The bonuses may also allow you to move around other stats or free up mods for other purposes.

Ie, a strict numerical comparison doesn't capture the sea change in build performance that can occur when you cross new threshholds of performance or get sufficiently ahead of a previously crossed threshhold that you can dedicate fewer resources to meeting it.

Also: what has this done to your spec bonuses? There's crit chance there which doesn't show up on the character sheet for some specs, and other bonuses that vary with SS which might not be reflected on the character sheet. Those can also be a big deal.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Is this ignoring the extra core mod you get in each primary with justice gear compared to merc? I honestly can't tell.

This is not ignoring anything. It couldn't ignore the extra core mods on the Justice Gear because I didn't change anything on my Justice Gear. These aren't calculations I did, this is information taken right off the character sheet. If a core mod increased something, that information is shown here.

The stat gain is a pretty big deal, due to its interactions with energy generation on toggle forms and EUs. I've had several builds where going to justice gear was sufficient to ignore my energy builder entirely. That's a big deal.

Yes, the TA secondaries can give a pretty good chunk of stat bonuses. Justice Gear not so much. From the number of TA secondaries sitting in my hideout bank, I would say that they're a lot quicker to farm than Justice Gear.

Ie, a strict numerical comparison doesn't capture the sea change in build performance that can occur when you cross new threshholds of performance or get sufficiently ahead of a previously crossed threshhold that you can dedicate fewer resources to meeting it.

I think anyone reading this is aware of this already, so I didn't really feel the need to mention it.

Also: what has this done to your spec bonuses? There's crit chance there which doesn't show up on the character sheet for some specs, and other bonuses that vary with SS which might not be reflected on the character sheet. Those can also be a big deal.

All spec bonuses that I get are reflected on the character sheet in full.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Nice work.

Not sure if this supports your claim or just provides an alternative: some folks make different (or perhaps better) use of the extra slots when going from 3 slot to 4 slot gear. Examples would be hit point stackers, defense stackers (esp with ward/guardicator loop), crit stackers. Another interesting example are folks (my own main toon) are builds that are true hybrids, being able to heal, DPS, and having high defenses: the flexibility of a three more core mods can help these builds go from meh to pretty good.

For most builds though, there will only be a small gains (usually less than 10% performance), as you point out.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I get where you're going.. but I'm not buying it. Here's a more accurate picture of what justice gear can do for a squishy with low level mods:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

He just has Justice gear and mostly rank 5 mods and AOPM. I'm using the classic STR/DEX/CON + Guardicator loop on this build. He can very nearly tank Gravitar with the AOPM support passive. His defense is at 399 with minimal CON slotting (418) and Armadillo Secondaries.

Defense may look like it's not mitigating much on paper. But in practice any defense over 300 makes a huge difference in build survival. Also your builds offense is nothing to sneeze at. Those two factors alone will greatly improve performance for most people.

The crazy part is my build is on the lower end of the spectrum. If I had higher rank mods and made more optimal build choices - it would be far, far, better.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    gradii said:

Justice gear is one of the 2 best gears in the game though. I thought this thread was about merc gear?

Nope.. Spinny's first post is all about how Justice Gear really isn't that much better than Merc. And how having Justice Gear doesn't make you an "Elite" player.
    So since the topic gets thrown around a lot, I decided to find out what you actually get when you upgrade from mercenary gear to justice gear. First thing I did was buy the lower tier gear, which cost me in total 183G. Most of that expense was the Merc gear. I didn't buy any mods, but by the look of the exchange that would run you another 60-80G. Since you can run content to get these things, that puts the expense somewhere between 0 to 243G, approximately.
    and..
    So, does 9% more damage and 11% more mitigation take someone from "average player" to "elite status"? More importantly, is that increase worth the effort of getting Justice Gear to you? Now that you know the actual numbers involved you can make a more informed decision about what you'll spend your time doing.
    I don't know about the Elite Player thing.. but JG certainly improves performance significantly.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Damage

Offense: 219.4 > 509.6
    Attack Damage: 3186 > 3493

A total increase in actual damage of 9%. It's not nothing... but it's not astounding either. I think folks would be upset if your damage increased by anything less than this for the effort you have to put into getting the gear, and it's only this much thanks to the wardicator loop.

Crit: 33.5% > 36.9%
    Severity: 107.8% > 121.3%

I'm actually surprised how much severity I got from +2.5 critical severity rating on the offense primary. About 2% came from increased ego, and the rest was from just that rating. Not bad. Crit chance went up by 3%, nothing to write home about.

Total bonus from crits went from 36.1% to 44.7%. Due to that being in the same layer as Offense the actual increase is lower but you didn't list your base benefit from Offense, it's probably a real damage bonus of 11-12%.
    spinnytop said:

Defense

Hit Points: No change

Since I don't stat con, there was no change here. However for someone who does stat con, the TA secondaries could net you an extra 1500 hit points, not bad.

Defense: 199.1 > 312.3
    Mitigation: 32% > 43%

11% less damage taken, again I think folks would be upset if after all that effort they didn't get at least this much. Again, this is primarily thanks to the guardicator loop inflating the actual gains between offense and defense. It's not nothing, but it's not astounding either. It takes my effective hit points from 4955 to 5450.

Actually, it takes your effective hit points from 7287 to 8693, or about 19% tougher.
    spinnytop said:

I actually lost some avoidance here, trading 6% avoidance for 5% dodge chance, due to the way the dodge becomes spread between dodge and avoidance on the justice gear. Nothing really significant going on here.

Total dodge mitigation went from 14.8% to 16.1%; it pushes you to an overall toughness increase of about 21%.

Also, you left out a couple of things:
    • Damage should probably be calculated at 8 stacks of form.
    • Energy gain from forms and EUs should be mentioned.
    • Power cost should be mentioned.
    • Cooldowns should be mentioned.
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    OK, here goes. Grimoire AT with a set of Justice Gear, as follows:

With JG (AoPM in Hybrid Mode):
    STR 97 / DEX 97 / CON 160 / INT 324 / EGO 322 / PRE 317 / REC 110 / END 97 / 8405 HP
    OFFENSE 343 (+12%) / DEFENSE 183.3 (+43%)
    Armadillo Secondaries (+25% DR, +57 INT, +33.5 PRE, +33.5 EGO)
    Justice Gloves of Healing (+62 CON, +57 EGO, +21 Defense, + 87% healing)
    Justice Tights of Fitness (+553 Max Health, +55 INT, +62 PRE, +82 Defense)
    Justice Mask of Efficiency (+57 EGO, +62 PRE, +21 Defense, +51 CDR, +392 Cost Discount)
    Set Bonus - +25 All Stats, +147 Offense

With best pre-JG gear
    STR 94 / DEX 94 / CON 156 / INT 319 / EGO 235 / PRE 335 / REC 107 / END 94
    OFFENSE 238.1 (+8.5) / DEFENSE 158.2 (+37%)
    Heroic Gloves of Growth (+62 CON, +55 PRE, +19 DEF, +68 OFF, + 27% healing, +23 INT)
    Heroic Breastplate of Defence (+55 INT, +57 PRE, +66 DEF)
    Heroic Helmet of Efficiency (+57 PRE, +57 EGO, +19 DEF, +93 CDR, +281 Cost Discount)

The gearing isn't exactly equivalent on each - although both sets us R5-7 mods the Heroic set has an extra PRE boost, Justice is geared towards EGO.

No Guardicator here, so the +147 Offense doesn't stack up as it would on other builds. Not sure where the +25 set bonus on JG has gone, but there you go. But basically... with JG I'm up on defense by 6.5%, offense by 3.5%, healing by 60% (vital for survivability on a Grimoire), HP by 550, Cost Discount +100. This means I can afford to stack 100 EGO over PRE, which means much more damage (around 250/20% per tick on Skarn's Bane). However the additional healing mods in the JG means that I also produce around 200/30% per tick more healing. The character is much, much more durable and effective. And the effect would be multiplied on a freeform/optimised build.

• Options
    edited May 2016

Nice work.

Not sure if this supports your claim or just provides an alternative: some folks make different (or perhaps better) use of the extra slots when going from 3 slot to 4 slot gear. Examples would be hit point stackers, defense stackers (esp with ward/guardicator loop), crit stackers.

I have defense mods in both slots of my defense primary, and crit mods in both slots of my offensive primary, and currently use guardicator, so those are covered.

I get where you're going.. but I'm not buying it.

The numbers are what they are. I gave the example of how Justice effects my stats because that was the thing that was being brought into question. If you don't like what the numbers are, that doesn't change anything.
    gradii said:

Justice gear is one of the 2 best gears in the game though. I thought this thread was about merc gear?

The title of the thread is "MERC TO JUSTICE".

I don't know about the Elite Player thing.. but JG certainly improves performance significantly.

The claim that justice somehow makes you significantly better than the "average player" and makes it so that you can do things that they have no hope of even attempting was the motivation behind this. I've shown that Justice gear does not improve performance anywhere near significantly enough to warrant this claim - especially not in my case, and my case was the one being called into question. Hell someone actually claimed that the average player can't stack Ego - there was a lot of nonsense claims made that led me to want to show the real numbers.

Defense may look like it's not mitigating much on paper. But in practice any defense over 300 makes a huge difference in build survival. Also your builds offense is nothing to sneeze at.

Yes, very big numbers, much impressive. Diminishing returns ensure that nothing impressive comes of it. That Offense number looks huge, yes, but I showed how much it actually ends up increasing my attack damage. Yes, that Defense number looks absolutely titanic, but I showed how much it actually increased my mitigation. There are some numbers that look really big involved with Justice Gear, but what I'm showing is the actual end result.

Total bonus from crits went from 36.1% to 44.7%. Due to that being in the same layer as Offense the actual increase is lower but you didn't list your base benefit from Offense, it's probably a real damage bonus of 11-12%.

I listed how much my damage actually went up on a given attack. I felt that was much more valuable than listing the components that lead to that increase, but the amount of increased damage you actually get is likely what people are more interested in. Since the bonus damage from the Form stayed mostly the same, you can trust that that 9% is largely from Offense. 12% is a bit better, but still not catapulting anyone from average to elite - their dps would go from 4000 to 4480.

Total dodge mitigation went from 14.8% to 16.1%; it pushes you to an overall toughness increase of about 21%.

2% more damage reduction on average through dodge turns into 21% how exactly? I'm very interested.

Also, you left out a couple of things:

• Damage should probably be calculated at 8 stacks of form.
    • Energy gain from forms and EUs should be mentioned.
    • Power cost should be mentioned.
    • Cooldowns should be mentioned.
    It was.
    Form 54 > 58. EU 18 > 20.
    Conviction went from 36 > 34.
    Paliate 1:39 > 1:44

You impressed yet? I'm not.
    Post edited by spinnytop on
  • Options

OK, here goes. Grimoire AT with a set of Justice Gear, as follows:

With JG (AoPM in Hybrid Mode):
    STR 97 / DEX 97 / CON 160 / INT 324 / EGO 322 / PRE 317 / REC 110 / END 97 / 8405 HP
    OFFENSE 343 (+12%) / DEFENSE 183.3 (+43%)
    Justice Gloves of Healing (+62 CON, +57 EGO, +21 Defense, + 87% healing)
    Justice Tights of Fitness (+553 Max Health, +55 INT, +62 PRE, +82 Defense)
    Justice Mask of Efficiency (+57 EGO, +62 PRE, +21 Defense, +51 CDR, +392 Cost Discount)
    Set Bonus - +25 All Stats, +147 Offense

With best pre-JG gear
    STR 94 / DEX 94 / CON 156 / INT 319 / EGO 235 / PRE 335 / REC 107 / END 94
    OFFENSE 238.1 (+8.5) / DEFENSE 158.2 (+37%)
    Heroic Gloves of Growth (+62 CON, +55 PRE, +19 DEF, +68 OFF, + 27% healing, +23 INT)
    Heroic Breastplate of Defence (+55 INT, +57 PRE, +66 DEF)
    Heroic Helmet of Efficiency (+57 PRE, +57 EGO, +19 DEF, +93 CDR, +281 Cost Discount)

The gearing isn't exactly equivalent on each - although both sets us R5-7 mods the Heroic set has an extra PRE boost, Justice is geared towards EGO.

That's an issue. Once you start swapping around mods like you've done, it's no longer a straight comparison. I made sure to slot the same way in each set to make an honest comparison. Also, switching from Growth primary to Healing primary and then claiming that the increase in "very important" healing ability came from switching to Justice alone seems a bit dishonest. The gearing has to be equivalent.
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

That's an issue. Once you start swapping around mods like you've done, it's no longer a straight comparison. I made sure to slot the same way in each set to make an honest comparison. Also, switching from Growth primary to Healing primary and then claiming that the increase in "very important" healing ability came from switching to Justice alone seems a bit dishonest. The gearing has to be equivalent.

I'm guessing that the comparison they're making is:
    For the given build, what is the best performance Merc gear enables vs. best performance that Justice gear enables.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    kamokami said:

spinnytop said:

I'm guessing that the comparison they're making is:
    For the given build, what is the best performance Merc gear enables vs. best performance that Justice gear enables.
    And that comparison becomes murky once you start changing things other than switching from merc to justice. I could have "cooked the books" in my comparison too; I'm not saying that's what he intended, but that's what the effect is. Yes, switching to Justice means you can start changing your mods from this stat to that stat... you could do that in merc as well though, so that's not a change that comes from switching to Justice.

PS - I did a quick check to see how much that second Sentinal's Brooch gives in regards to more healing. Adding a +26% brooch increased my healing output by 5.87%. 5.87% more healing seems to be the actual amount that switching from merc to justice enables. 60%, or 30% ( both were claimed ) would require some pretty significant changes in the time between changing from one tier of gear to the next. 5.87% more healing would not be enough to justify being able to stat your character in wildly different ways, that actually involve investing less into healing, and actually gaining more toughness through healing.

Note: 5.87% at 8 stacks of Compassion. 9.01% at 0 stacks.
  • Options
    i That's an issue. Once you start swapping around mods like you've done, it's no longer a straight comparison. I made sure to slot the same way in each set to make an honest comparison. Also, switching from Growth primary to Healing primary and then claiming that the increase in "very important" healing ability came from switching to Justice alone seems a bit dishonest. The gearing has to be equivalent.

I can't do this on PTS (that toon is on an old Silver Account) so the mods in the gear have to be what they are. But the maximum healing bonus from a Merc set of Healing gloves (slotted with the same mods as the JG) is 25+29 = 54%, 33% less than the JG. Heroic Gear is slightly better than Merc, Justice Gear is much better.

It's also worth saying that the tootip bonuses on this gear are generally shown incorrectly until they're slotted. And who knows whether they're actually giving us the bonuses they're meant to?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

It's also worth saying that the tootip bonuses on this gear are generally shown incorrectly until they're slotted. And who knows whether they're actually giving us the bonuses they're meant to?

Whether they are or they aren't, the percent I gave is the actual amount that you gain from being able to slot an additional Sentinal's Brooch currently.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Spinny, I'm convinced you are just arguing for the LULZ :smile:

I always start with Merc gear all my toons, including the one I used here started with Merc Gear at 40. I only have one J-Gear enabled toon and there he is. I very rarely if ever bother with Heroics.

Justice Gear took him form face planting if Gravitar looked his way, to being able very nearly tank her. I also know for a fact that having over 300 defense changed my player experience. It doesn't look so hot on paper, but in practice it's amazing. That's why you see so many players building for +300 defense. If it didn't matter, then you wouldn't be doing it.

Are you seriously arguing that Merc Gear and Justice Gear are equivalent? Because if you are - then uhm.. okay have at it good sir! But I can't think of anyone who'll agree with you on that.
  • Options
    FWIW, Spinny, I just went on to PTS and tried it again with a different toon. Same mods in each set of gear this time around, same type of gear selected (PREC/AGIL/EFF), +1 of the same kind of mod for the additional slot in JG. Guardicator loop in play, REC primary SS. And this is what I got. Ignore the fact that the toon has weird super stats, btw... that's how I roll. fox-1.gif

With Merc Gear
    STR 13/DEX 10/CON 225/INT 82/EGO 230/PRE 10 /REC 223 / END 35
    OFFENSE 184 (+8.1%) / CRIT 30.5% / DEFENSE 167.1 (+39% DR), CD +260

With JG
    STR 13/DEX 10/CON 250/INT 78/EGO 255/PRE 10/REC 248/END 35
    OFFENSE 735.2 (+21%) / CRIT 19% / DEFENSE 324.3 (+76% DR), CD +392

On trying my usual test (5 man team of lvl 41 villians in the PH team room) I find... with JG, my damage is increased by around 150-200 per tick of 2GM and - most significantly - my HP doesn't go below 75% of my base total at any time. Even if I'm targeting the wrong villain and shooting in the opposite direction to all the people who are shooting me. HTH.​​
  • Options
    squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited May 2016

With Merc Gear

STR 13/DEX 10/CON 225/INT 82/EGO 230/PRE 10 /REC 223 / END 35

OFFENSE 184 (+8.1%) / CRIT 30.5% / DEFENSE 167.1 (+39% DR), CD +260

With JG

STR 13/DEX 10/CON 250/INT 78/EGO 255/PRE 10/REC 248/END 35

OFFENSE 735.2 (+21%) / CRIT 19% / DEFENSE 324.3 (+76% DR), CD +392

I'm hoping there's a typo here...
    Also, should probably give crit severity too
  • Options
    edited May 2016

On trying my usual test (5 man team of lvl 41 villians in the PH team room) I find... with JG, my damage is increased by around 150-200 per tick of 2GM and - most significantly - my HP doesn't go below 75% of my base total at any time. Even if I'm targeting the wrong villain and shooting in the opposite direction to all the people who are shooting me. HTH.​​

Yep, your gains aren't that far off from mine, which means the actual numerical improvement you saw was similar as well. There's already plenty of anecdotal evidence of people claiming they went from sidewalk varnish to hero status, but in this thread I've shown that the numbers don't support that.

PS - could you list your damage before 2gm and after? You say it's increased "by around 150-200" and that's not a particularly accurate measure, especially without the before.
  • Options
    Nah. We're not here to dance to the tune of sillytop. Come back when you've got some significant evidence to disprove everyone else's opinion on the subject and we might take you seriously. Until then, joke thread/joke thread starter. K thx bai!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    I'm kinda curious what changed with this to make your off go from 184 to 735... that seems a bit extreme.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited May 2016

I'm kinda curious what changed with this to make your off go from 184 to 735... that seems a bit extreme.

At a rough guess, going from Gambler's to Impact in primary offense, since crit chance also went way down. ALso, of course, the 147 point set bonus.
  • Options
    so 735-147=588 thus the off went up by 404 for some other reason.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

so 735-147=588 thus the off went up by 404 for some other reason.

It counts as an equipment based bonus, and improved by specs. If we assume the merc gear had 1 Gambler's in Offense and the justice had two Impact 7s, that's an extra 285 base offense. If we figure Modified Gear 2, Gear Utilization 3, and guardicator looping, that's an actual increase of 491, which takes us from 184 to 675. Another Impact 7 in defense would give a bonus of 37, up to 712. The remaining 23 points can be accounted for with small increases to base Defense stats on gear.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I wonder how much that ~200 extra offense even gives... 1%?
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    While I won't argue that the numerical bonus from Justice over Mercs may not be as extreme as many like to claim... I do feel the need to point out one very important fact about upgrading from Mercs to pretty much any of the higher tier primaries...

That extra Core slot... it is far more significant than you're demonstration makes it out to be... If your slotting 2 of the same core then yes the bonus of having it isn't really all that impressive for the most part... BUT... the significance of having 2 core slots as opposed to 1 is the fact that you CAN slot two different cores... And with the new cores we've got from TA, this fact becomes all that more significant.

Lets look at your Offensive Core... You could slot an Impact for +Offense and a Gamblers for +Crit% to get a prety signifiant boost to your overall damage, most likely more than if you had taken 2 Impact or 2 Gambler cores... or maybe you want to slot a Gamblers and a Severity core... when you look at core combinations rather than singular cores you begin to see a much bigger increase than you got otherwise...

Then there is also the fact that the superstat increase from Justice set effect can for many builds result in the complete removal of a stat from their mods giving them even more of their most important stat... like a STR PSS Juggernaut build might choose to not slot any strength mods in favor of more CON since they get all the strength they need from talents and set bonus. That very same build might also get enough of their other secondary stat from talents and set bonus and opt to slot only CON because they can at that point... The performance of that build will increase significantly without any actual negative impact that normally accompanies single stat gearing... Justice gear makes single stat gearing optimal for some builds that rely on a mimimum value in multiple stats...

There is a certain term that is very popular in online gaming (and even table top gaming) that appplies here... Min-max... Justice Gear is the optimal gear for any sort of min-maxing since it's set bonus provides a lot of the benefits that a min-maxer wants a minimum value in and opens them up to maximizing eveything else far easier... it even increases the maximum for some things as well. The biggest benefit of Justice gear is it's versatility... Versatility can go a LONG ways... if you take something that gives you more options for increase and put it all to a linear increase then you will inevitably get an unsatisfactory result, but if you imbrace the versatility and branch out a bit then you'll suddenly see you've got a LOT more going for you all of a sudden.

Also: I never said "the average player can't stack ego" I said "the average player DOESN'T have stats stacked that high"... Big difference...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    raighn said:

While I won't argue that the numerical bonus from Justice over Mercs may not be as extreme as many like to claim... I do feel the need to point out one very important fact about upgrading from Mercs to pretty much any of the higher tier primaries...

That extra Core slot... it is far more significant than you're demonstration makes it out to be...

It's still not significant enough to validate the claims that this gear is enabling player A to do things that player B can't, and that's the point that my demonstration was making.
    raighn said:

Also: I never said "the average player can't stack ego" I said "the average player DOESN'T have stats stacked that high"... Big difference...

A dubious claim at best. I'd like to see some numbers on that. I have a suspicion that a lot of these claims about "the average player" don't have any metrics to support them... primarily because there are conflicting claims being made about what an average player is. Throw this in with the fact that I've seen many people say you shouldn't stack your stats that high and it becomes questionable what you're even trying to say about this mythical "average player". Do they even exist? Do we even have a documented case of a player coming forth and saying they're average? If so, what sort of device did we use to measure their adequacy to ensure they're telling the truth?

Think you people might be leading us all on a wild goose chase.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

It's still not significant enough to validate the claims that this gear is enabling player A to do things that player B can't, and that's the point that my demonstration was making.

Incorrect... It may not boost them into an entirely different power tier like many claim it does, but it can provide a significant performance increase either by splitting your offensive/defensive abilities across different core types rather than focusing on a singular core type, or by giving a build that otherwise has poor self healing more reliable self healing via a Sentinel's Brooch that they otherwise wouldn't have used. Versatility can make a big difference, if your build performs it's job with mercs but would be better if an aspect that you couldn't gear for was better, then Justice enables you to do just that. To some the ability to shore up their builds weaknesses is a vast improvement.
    spinnytop said:

A dubious claim at best. I'd like to see some numbers on that. I have a suspicion that a lot of these claims about "the average player" don't have any metrics to support them... primarily because there are conflicting claims being made about what an average player is. Throw this in with the fact that I've seen many people say you shouldn't stack your stats that high and it becomes questionable what you're even trying to say about this mythical "average player". Do they even exist? Do we even have a documented case of a player coming forth and saying they're average? If so, what sort of device did we use to measure their adequacy to ensure they're telling the truth?

Think you people might be leading us all on a wild goose chase.

What gear do you believe to be used by the most players? I can certainly tell you it's not Justice, and it's probably not even Mercs... Given the high frequency at which you'll see players running around with Heirloom buffs or Q-store leveling set buffs like Armadillo, I'd wager that to be the most commonly used gear in the game. Heirlooms and Armadillo... The highest you'll get your stats with that is significantly lower than the values you've presented and claimed multiple times to be "average". And infact in this very thread we have a post showing the stats of a player who is far closer to "average" than you have been in years... and it's no surprise that their stats are significantly lower than yours. Add to that, the "average" player doesn't know the ins and outs of stats and that they should stack X stat much higher than Y stat and that Z stat can be kept relatively low and provide a significant benefit... instead they will usually gear for a fairly even spread of their super stats. Which brings another point, "average" players don't usually know that they can get a decent benefit from gearing a little bit of a stat that they didn't take as a super stat, something that many "elite" players will do occasionally.
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    raighn said:

Add to that, the "average" player doesn't know the ins and outs of stats and that they should stack X stat much higher than Y stat and that Z stat can be kept relatively low and provide a significant benefit... instead they will usually gear for a fairly even spread of their super stats. Which brings another point, "average" players don't usually know that they can get a decent benefit from gearing a little bit of a stat that they didn't take as a super stat, something that many "elite" players will do occasionally.

Based on the response above....for this argument between you and spinny to make more sense, we'd need to better define this elusive "average player".

- is the average player still leveling their first character?
    - has the average player been playing the game for longer than 6 months?
    - does the average player read the forums? (combat and powers section, guides, etc)
    - does the average player have any friends or SG mates that are more experienced?
    - does the average player care about having better gear?
    - does the average player have Armadillo Gear, Merc Gear, Heroic Gear, or Justice Gear?
    - does the average player have just 1 character?
    - does the average player understand stats and spec trees?

Doing the above is useful because some combinations of these answers would not make sense.

For example, it would not make sense if the average player had been playing for longer than 6 months, cared about getting better gear, and still doesn't have Merc Gear....or even Heroic Gear. Especially since both are relatively easy to get for someone with 6+ months of gametime.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    @Markhawkman - The Offense increase is not linear because of the character's Specialisations. For reasons I can't remember they currently have Recovery as their PSS and three spec points in Gear Utilization; that increases Offence and Defence derived from gear by 18%... which is underneath a Guardian/Vindicator loop (Fortified Gear, Defence +30%, The Best Defence (100% Defense as Offense), Aggressive Stance (Defense increases by 20% of Offense), Modified Gear (+20% Offense from Gear). So that +125 JG offense bonus gets increase by 18% by default and then feeds into the loop....

That's not optimum, btw. Other stat/spec choices make a big difference. If take Ego as PSS, Rec and Con as SSS (as before), then I take Force of Will (SSS grants +46 Defense) and Aggression (Offense from items +20%) from the Spec tree, and I get JG stats as follows:

STR 13/DEX 13/CON 263/INT 71/EGO 309/PRE 13/REC 194/END 34
    Offense 772.8 (+22%), Crit 14.4%, Severity 61.7%
    Defense 356 (+84%), Dodge 15.4%, Avoidance 43.8%

Merc Gear comes in like this....

STR 13/DEX 13/CON 238/INT 75/EGO 283/PRE 13/REC 169/END 34
    Offense 215.4 (+7.8%), Crit 25.6%, Severity 50%
    Defense 198.1 (+47%), Dodge 10%, Avoidance 52.7%

Call me an average bear if you like, but with JG that's +14% damage and +37% DR, or to put it another way, a 358% increase in offense and 179% increase in DR. Sure I can do better if I keep tweaking the specs, too...

• Options
    so what does that show as the actual increase in damage dealt?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    raighn said:

Incorrect... It may not boost them into an entirely different power tier like many claim it does, but it can provide a significant performance increase either by splitting your offensive/defensive abilities across different core types rather than focusing on a singular core type, or by giving a build that otherwise has poor self healing more reliable self healing via a Sentinel's Brooch that they otherwise wouldn't have used. Versatility can make a big difference, if your build performs it's job with mercs but would be better if an aspect that you couldn't gear for was better, then Justice enables you to do just that. To some the ability to shore up their builds weaknesses is a vast improvement.

Not a big enough difference to validate the claim that I can do things you can't.

I notice you're trying to have two conversations here. On the one hand you're making claims about gear, and on the other hand you're making claims about knowing how to build good. You should keep in mind that one does not require the other. After all, there were good builds before Justice Build ever existed, and there are players in Merc gear who perform significantly better than players in Justice gear due to their build. Fact is, if your mythical "average player" can't build good, then Justice Gear isn't going to enable them to do anything - gear cannot make up for your build in this game. That said, figuring out how to build good in this game is pretty easy, so unless you're willing to provide proof that I'm somehow more intelligent than the average player then I assume that they can figure out to build as good as I do ( whatever that means ) as easily as I did - without any sort of extensive research, and just reading power descriptions and coming to obvious conclusions.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Call me an average bear if you like, but with JG that's +14% damage and +37% DR, or to put it another way, a 358% increase in offense and 179% increase in DR. Sure I can do better if I keep tweaking the specs, too...

Going by your stats I'm seeing an actual increase of damage mititagion of 15.5% - you went from 32% mitigation to 46% on defense, and the changes in dodge/avoidance netted you about 1.5% more mitigation. In regards to damage increase, you have to provide the amount that your attacks actually increased, the way I did. Keep in mind that you actually lost 4% overall damage due to the changes in crit when you swapped a crit gem for an offense gem. Your assessment of 14% is probably close on how much damage increase you're getting from Offense though, so if we knock off the 4% you lost, you're at about 10% increased damage.

15.5% more mitigation and 10% more damage, still not enough to enable you to do something that someone in Merc can't - and again, that's the point. Feel free to not "dance to my tune" all you like, but this thread does have a point and you're not getting away from that.
  • Options

Messing about with the details of some pieces of gear won't get the really big numbers. You need exploits for that.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options

Messing about with the details of some pieces of gear won't get the really big numbers. You need exploits for that.

tru dat. unfortunately for me, I don't know any :neutral:
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    No, but I didn't mean you, of course.
    We both know several folks using DPS exploits, which can generate insane numbers on those scoreboards (and gain, no top-end gear needed).

I don't know any defense/tank exploits, but the best gear can net you something like the equivalent of an extra stack of defiance (+15-18% resist).

For healing, I know how to game the scoring system, exploiting. Having very high end gear isn't necessary: just the right choice of powers, plus judicious use of block.

• Options
    Happy to help you out with figures, spinny, but I don't know your equation for calculating Defense Mitigation - can you explain?

It might be easiest overall if you just posted your regular game build so that I can replicate the effects of the gear available on PTS for general discussion - would that be possible?
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    thne there's the item form high school stats. 60-80% of a given group are usually below average because the average gets pulled way up due to the top 5%

Post the glass cannon, so we can see if it is.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options

Happy to help you out with figures, spinny, but I don't know your equation for calculating Defense Mitigation - can you explain?

It might be easiest overall if you just posted your regular game build so that I can replicate the effects of the gear available on PTS for general discussion - would that be possible?

My response to you is this.

Nah. We're not here to dance to the tune of sillytop. Come back when you've got some significant evidence to disprove everyone else's opinion on the subject and we might take you seriously. Until then, joke thread/joke thread starter. K thx bai!

• Options
    Oh Spinny. If you were a cat, you'd be called Mr Huffypants. Is that him in your sig?

I was being serious. I don't know how to calculate Defense Mitigation. I do appreciate that substantial increases in DR don't translate into an equivalent reduction in damage taken but I don't know how the relationship varies.

And yes, I'm afraid the only way to put the "elite gear" argument to bed would be for someone to post an "elite" build and let klutzes like me loose with it on PTS. Then we would know if player ability was more important than gear and build.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Damage Reducion = |(100/(1+Resistance {decimal form}))-100|

So 100% Resistance is 50% Reduction since |(100/(1+1.00)-100)|=50
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    Cheers. Are there diminishing returns applied to that at any point? (Very difficult to tell exactly as it's via observation....)
  • Options
    violetnychusvioletnychus Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    TLDR:

Justice is not that different from Mercenary if you ignore the increased dodge, extra cores, crit chance, crit severity, and miscellaneous statistics benefits, and only repeatedly mention that the base attack of a power increased by 9% and resistance increased by 10%.

20% general improvement when you count only 2 of the many interacting statistics in the game is proof that skill is everything in the MMO genre which has built its entire model around equipment acquisition!​​
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Cheers. Are there diminishing returns applied to that at any point? (Very difficult to tell exactly as it's via observation....)

That calculation is actually exactly how Diminishing Returns work... Diminishing Returns are the result of the calculation creating a curve when graphed At low values for example 5% you get a high return per point roughly the exact value you expect when you look at it at a glance, but at high values for example 300% you get far far less than you were expecting.

5% Reistance = |(100/(1+0.05))-100| = |(100/1.05)-100| = |95.24 - 100| = |-4.76| = 4.76% Reduction

300% Resistance = |(100/(1+3.00))-100| = |(100/4)-100| = |25 - 100| = |-75| = 75% Reduction

Now to see diminshing returns in action a little better... remember than 100% Resistance was 50% Reduction...

There is also furthar diminshing returns in the calculation that converts Defense into Resistance...
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options

TLDR:

Justice is not that different from Mercenary if you ignore the increased dodge, extra cores, crit chance, crit severity, and miscellaneous statistics benefits, and only repeatedly mention that the base attack of a power increased by 9% and resistance increased by 10%.

20% general improvement when you count only 2 of the many interacting statistics in the game is proof that skill is everything in the MMO genre which has built its entire model around equipment acquisition!​​

Actually, increasing damage by 9% and resistence by 10% doesn't even equal a 10% general improvement. For a 10% general improvement everything about your character would need to be improved by 10%. Here, I'll explain it to you:

If your character consists of four stats:

A = 10
    B = 10
    C = 10
    D = 10

Then your character's overall ability is 40. If I increase A and B by 10% each, then your character's overall ability becomes 42, an increase of only 5%, not 20%. If I increase all by 10%, then your overall ability becomes 44, an increase of 10%, not 40%.

It's fun that you say I ignored statistics that are very plainly laid out in the OP though, and even more hilarious that you're trying to compare CO's gear ladder to those of other MMOs when we have 2 rungs, and other MMOs have enough to reach double digits. Be glad I even bothered to respond this much when you're clearly just trolling :smile:

Oh Spinny. If you were a cat, you'd be called Mr Huffypants. Is that him in your sig?

I threw your hissy fit back in your face because I thought it would be funny to throw your claim of "joke thread/joke thread starter" back at you after you started to act like you were taking the thread seriously.

If you're asking for my build, then you're acknowledging that gear is not the deciding factor here. You actually already have all the information you need in this thread to duplicate these stats.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    spinnytop wrote: »
    TLDR:

20% general improvement when you count only 2 of the many interacting statistics in the game is proof that skill is everything in the MMO genre which has built its entire model around equipment acquisition!

Actually, increasing damage by 9% and resistence by 10% doesn't even equal a 10% general improvement. For a 10% general improvement everything about your character would need to be improved by 10%. Here, I'll explain it to you:

If your character consists of four stats:

A = 10
    B = 10
    C = 10
    D = 10

Then your character's overall ability is 40. If I increase A and B by 10% each, then your character's overall ability becomes 42, an increase of only 5%, not 20%. If I increase all by 10%, then your overall ability becomes 44, an increase of 10%, not 40%.

Yes 20% is a major simplification. But I meant for those 2 dimensions that are coming up in the topic. The 'effectiveness' of whichever aspects of a character you want to calculate are not equal weighted.

If C refers to healing and D to... another aspect, aggro? then yes, but if you mean criticals or dodge, no.

The improvements are multiplicative. If you increase a power by 10%, yes, it produces 10% offensive improvement, because the critical statistics will multiply by the base if I understand correctly.

Dodge/Avoid are optimized the closer they are url="www.analyzemath.com/calculus/Problems/optimize_area.html"]see basic calculus[/url.

Total=D*A. .26*.571=0.14846 .314*.513=0.161082 Almost 9% more! I would need the real resistance values to figure out effective HP.
    It's fun that you say I ignored statistics that are very plainly laid out in the OP though

You implied rather forcefully in the OP how the 9% and 11% are the only significant difference:
    Other than this, nothing changed. So, does 9% more damage and 11% more mitigation take someone from "average player" to "elite status"?
    Be glad I even bothered to respond this much when you're clearly just trolling :smile:

I actually came in expecting the difference between mercenary and justice to not be gigantic. You convinced me the other way.

But instead of the simple tooltip measurements the real test should be a calculated combat situation. One might test the difference in cosmic score on a build with mercenary and justice.​​
    Post edited by violetnychus on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    so what does that show as the actual increase in damage dealt?

That's impossible to calculate without the tooltip offense amount in the OP's build.​​
    Post edited by violetnychus on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    ​​
  • Options
    I threw your hissy fit back in your face because I thought it would be funny to throw your claim of "joke thread/joke thread starter" back at you after you started to act like you were taking the thread seriously.

Oh Spinny. It is, and you are. And you know it. But I am (taking it seriously) not to play along with your silliness and egotism, but because I'm honestly interested in what the differences are and how gear affects builds. Why? Because there are (a) types of characters I don't really know how to build or play and (b) if there is a most significant factor in successful gameplay in CO, more than gear, it's about what you know. End of thread? :)
  • Options
    diggotdiggot Posts: 309 Arc User
    And this... is why im quitting CO again. The geardifferense and the amount of time to grind it, ruins the game for me.
    Since i'm not an altaholic (only 7 L40) and prefer to gear up a few but strong characters, this type of itemization and
    the work required to get it, removes all the fun for me.
    I've tried to get a change made to the game for the better, but it's been pretty much confirmed by Devs that no changes
    are planned towards players gearing up... And since my accounts is full of FF, it requires me to subscribed to play,
    and im not paying for a broken gameplay.

Up to Mercenary, insane grind..
    Mercenary > Heroic - insane grind.
    Heroic > Justice - insane grind.
    Justice > Heirloom - insane grind.
    Heirloom > Ditinguished - insane grind.

Its all insane, each with a very minor upgrade... Juice is not worth the squeeze.
  • Options
    heirloom is the lowest on the totem pole...it does NOT belong above justice - it doesn't even belong above mercenary

maybe aurum heirloom can squeak in above merc, but only just barely because of its set bonuses​​
    #LegalizeAwoo