test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Price of the powers in the PVP (aka Villain Onslaught) store

First a bit of backstory. I've been with CO since Beta (lifetime gold), and this is a first that I have ever seen in CO: Unlockable powers locked behind PvP. I really dislike PvP, but would love these powers. Is PvP the ONLY way to actually get these, or are there plans to do more mixing them up on the lockboxes (as I dislike getting 20 Fractal Aegis or Gravity Drivers) or maybe offer a purchase for GOLD members, like in the very wasted VIP area?
Travel Power/Costume suggestions.

Example of Comet Flight: Here.

Comments

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    You can get villain tokens without engaging in any actual PvP. Just farm the onslaught targets.
  • Options
    shilarshilar Posts: 48 Arc User
    PvP happens even if you do JUST pve. The heroes will attack. I don't want any pvp.
    Travel Power/Costume suggestions.

Example of Comet Flight: Here.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    A couple of random heroes won't slow you down in any way, even the "overpowered" ones. Find the zone with the lowest population, pick some far-off targets away from Renaissance Center, and I doubt you'll have much, if any, resistance, at all.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    yeah, if you don't want to fight other players, stay out of Ren Cen. The game advertises your presence every time an Onslaught villain steps into Ren Cen. Then the players who want to gank you will come looking for you.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    If you use Medusa even the most "pro bro" builds die easy if theres no back up.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    shilar said:

PvP happens even if you do JUST pve.

Really, no, it doesn't. I get attacked by a solo hero while farming maybe 20% of the time, and they're usually low level and die when I tap them.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    in answer to the question, NO.
    Those are the bribes to get people to do Onslaught.
    Favoured targets are the 2 UNTIL defenders outside UNTIL building.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Attack the UNTIL defenders. After you defeat one (or both, if paired), move far away--something like 200'. Then the UNTIL defenders will have respawned when you return. Repeat.

If you do this at UNTIL HQ, you can beat up two defenders at a time, and earn enough villain tokens to finish the daily mission fairly easily.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,455 Arc User
    It really is easy to farm the defenders outside the Until building. In all the hundreds of times I've done this I've only had single heroes (not groups of them) attack me a dozen times. Most solo heroes can be blasted away and typically don't bother you anymore. There are some relatively unkillable uber tanks, but they can be ignored because they can't do enough damage alone to defeat you. Just recently there was a discussion on the easiest ways to do this. Best to do with a low level character because the toughness of the Defenders is linked to the lvl of the player. One fellow claimed to be able to farm 250+ tokens in 15 minutes with Medusa (then add the 250 for completing the mission). I regularly get 165 with my lvl 29 using Gravitar. There was another similar discussion back in January, IIRC.

Sometimes you'll find an OV already there when you show up (a good reason not to activate the OV until you see the coast is clear), so you just switch zones. I've always found some zone empty at the Until building.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    grimvanegrimvane Posts: 49 Arc User

Sometimes you'll find an OV already there when you show up (a good reason not to activate the OV until you see the coast is clear), so you just switch zones. I've always found some zone empty at the Until building.

Just a reminder, don't switch zones if you already activated the OV device.
  • Options
    squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User

One fellow claimed to be able to farm 250+ tokens in 15 minutes with Medusa (then add the 250 for completing the mission).

That would be me. Happy to answer questions on how, but it mostly comes down to being efficient and minimizing 'cycle' times (ie, the time involved in a single withdrawal to CHQ and back + killing both targets). Because of minimal timers in target respawn *even if you leave their squads alive*, i'm pretty sure the theoretical maximum tokens in 15 minutes is ~280. (You can't quite get down to a 30s cycle time).

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    grimvane said:

Just a reminder, don't switch zones if you already activated the OV device.
    what happens if you do?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    you despawn as a villain and become a hero again. Also, you get a debuff that keeps you from using a villain device for an hour of gametime.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    you lose the device, if you change Zones or turn it off or try to remove it from your evice tray once it has been activtaed​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    shilar said:

First a bit of backstory. I've been with CO since Beta (lifetime gold), and this is a first that I have ever seen in CO: Unlockable powers locked behind PvP. I really dislike PvP, but would love these powers. Is PvP the ONLY way to actually get these, or are there plans to do more mixing them up on the lockboxes (as I dislike getting 20 Fractal Aegis or Gravity Drivers) or maybe offer a purchase for GOLD members, like in the very wasted VIP area?

They definitely should NOT be a purchase reserved only for gold members. Subscribers in this game already get a crapton of stuff handed to them, some of which (freeform) feels almost mandatory in order to succeed. Gating those powers behind the onslaught system is fine, as it rewards you for taking part in it. The only thing that actually needs to be changed is the onslaught system itself, since right now, the system heavily favors "go kill Until defenders until you hit your daily, then head to the ren center and let people kill you off, or turret dive, etc." Sure, you could kill players there for even more tokens, but 1-2 shotting most people while controlling something with 3 million hit points always makes me feel like something of a bully.

The onslaught system really doesn't feel like actual pvp.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    The onslaught system really doesn't feel like actual pvp.

To be fair, it's not really supposed to. It's just a funky way to let us fight player-controlled Cosmics.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.