What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Win 7 and Nvidia 295 Still Causing Stuttering/Slowdown

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Ganjamancer, if changing driver versions resolves the problem ( which it does, mind you ), then it's a driver issue. There's no two ways about it. This isn't the first time that Nvidia has falsely pointed their finger at the game devs, trust me because I've been in this exact same issue on more than one occasion using their products, and I know that it's pretty frustrating. But the simple fact that this issue is not present with drivers earlier than the 190.xx series still concludes that this is an issue that only Nvidia can iron out. Take it or leave it my friend, because I just made a post above yours in an effort to help people in your position.

Rolling back your drivers (190.62) works for some people, for 64 bit users the result is resoundingly negative and has been since Closed Beta. I personally can go backwards but why should I? Cryptic is making people with high end Nvidia SLI setups jump through hoops to play this game. Because games have been released that take advantage of Nvidias native driver optimizations, it has become cumbersome and quite frankly, not worth it to stay at the 190.62 drivers and SLI turned off. As many, including myself have posted about this for the last 5 months can attest to, we are not having problems with any other games, just CO. In fact, personally I cannot find a game that runs like crap on my rig, except Champions Online and a certain other MMO to be unnamed that is currently in a beta.

I really don't want to get into a flame war with you but blaming Nvidia is wrong. Cryptic is responsible for optimizing their engine to work with Nvidias drivers not the other way around. If CO were a bigger game that might be different but Nvidia and ATI driver development is driven by the market not by niche MMOs that are showng the signs of utter failure.

This will be my last post to in response to you regarding this concern. If you want to help, point people to the possible fixes and suggest they contact both Cryptic and Nvidia.

I personally am tired of being a fanboy of this game. This game sucks. I haven't logged in for more than 15 minutes in a month, I have no desire to rollback my drivers and turn off SLI just to play this game. My lifetime subscription just makes me even more bitter than I should be about a game that sucks this badly. Eat the 250$ bucks and move on...

Someone please PM me when they get this fixed regardless of whoever fixes it.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I really don't want to get into a flame war with you but blaming Nvidia is wrong. Cryptic is responsible for optimizing their engine to work with Nvidias drivers not the other way around. If CO were a bigger game that might be different but Nvidia and ATI driver development is driven by the market not by niche MMOs that are showng the signs of utter failure.

All I'm going to say is this...

I've owned a number of cards from both ATI and Nvidia. Whenever I've encountered performance issues like the ones going on here, they were always corrected with later driver releases, not game updates. So, again, please do your homework before you attempt at trolling me.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_190.38_beta.html here is the link for the 190.38 beta drivers that fixed my nividia 250gts they should be compatable with anything higher.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Have you tried any of the 186.xx drivers? Those drivers are usually void of the stuttering/slowdown issues present in the 190.xx drivers and later. I don't know what your OS is but here's a link to Guru3d's downloads section which has them archived ( link ). If you're using Windows 7, you'll need to try the 185.xx drivers since there's no 186.xx version for them. Also, try disabling PhysX in your Control Panel since that tends to help a bit too.

Hope it helps :)

Disabling PhysX does help SLIGHTLY actually, I have used 185. Drivers but it's really inconviniencing since it disables me from playing various other games on my compy. But the stuttering is starting to become bearable. I am a Win7 user also. But thanks for the PhysX tip :)

PS Ganja I would save your breath, she/he is absolutely right. I have encountered similar problems like this before. And usually a driver update fixes it. But it seems recent driver updates haven't fixed these problem ;) Yet. (one could hope!)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hey guys, I am in a similar boat, although my systems are much lower spec than yours (I am cheap when it comes to building PCs). However, after installing the game on every computer I have (including the POS I built to watch YouTube and Hulu in the living room) I think I may have stumbled onto the cause. It is not th video card, it is the processor. I see a lot of you have Intel Processors for your gaming machines. I commend you on your choice as it is also the one I made. However, the PC that runs this game best in my house is not the Core 2 Quad with the NVidia GPU, it the the AMD Phenom with an ATI Radeon 4650 computer (the one I built for the living room).

I think that this game runs better on AMD chips and I would love to hear from other users who also have AMD chips in terms of how their framerates are.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Terjon, that's a good thought but I'm afraid this isn't the case. If the processor were the culprit of this issue, then you would see ATI users having these issues as well. The reason why you see so many Nvidia users with a high end video card and an Intel CPU is because of the fact that most companies sell gaming machines with Intel parts, and a lot of people tend to buy Intel chips as their i7 CPUs are currently the fastest consumer level processor on the market.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Not sure if this well help but it did me i just started using sli with co and it seems to be working im using these drivers http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...0.38_beta.html and using this profile by nividia http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_multigpu_SLI_profile_update_v3.html it says it will help with peformance with co, thus far i am not having issues with sli while playing champions
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sulaa wrote:
    Not sure if this well help but it did me i just started using sli with co and it seems to be working im using these drivers http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...0.38_beta.html and using this profile by nividia http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_multigpu_SLI_profile_update_v3.html it says it will help with peformance with co, thus far i am not having issues with sli while playing champions

Whats the driver number on those beta drivers? The llnk doesn't lead to the drivers. Im guesing 191.07 WHQL?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_190.38_beta.html this link should work
    sorry about that didnt realize the link previous wasnt working
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Whats the driver number on those beta drivers? The llnk doesn't lead to the drivers. Im guesing 191.07 WHQL?

its the 190.38 drivers the link should be fixed in the above post, im running sli on 2 250gts cards and they seem to be doing good also make sure you have this profile from nivida http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_multigpu_SLI_profile_update_v3.html it has a update for sli for champions for better performance
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I tried the 195.81 beta drivers and it seemed to lessen the issue but still have stuttering.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I was able to resolve this problem on my machine. I have a GTX 280 and was getting really poor stuttering.

Go to the NVIDIA control panel.

Then:
    "Adjust image settings with preview"

Mine was set to "Let the 3D application decide."

I changed it to:

"Use my preference by emphasizing 'Quality'"

This completely resolved my stuttering issues, and stabilized my FPS as well.

Try it out and let me know if it helps you as well.

-Has only been tested by myself and one other. The other person used an 8800GT.

-I'm using the latest drivers from NVIDIA
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I was able to resolve this problem on my machine. I have a GTX 280 and was getting really poor stuttering.

Then:

I changed it to:

This did not work for me. As of this point the game is still unplayable. Also, Star Trek Online has this same problem. I can't play that either without pushing keys and clicking multiple times to get a successful action. This also happens when I set everything under video to its lowest possible setting. The only real fix is to install 190.62, which I cannot do. I have many other games I want to play and 190.62 performance is bad, or does not work at all. And loading a driver just to play one game just doesn't make any sense.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Blade wrote:
    I tried the 195.81 beta drivers and it seemed to lessen the issue but still have stuttering.

I have the same issue logged a ticket with support and they recommended I set the patcher to use the EU proxy (in options in patcher under proxy select EU)

I tried that it didn't seem to have any effect so I downloaded the 195.81 beta package from nVidia and that seems to have resolved it for me. i've only played for about 30 minutes today but combat is a fun/comfortable experience again.

Givve them a try
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    According to my notes, I've been using 195.81 since the 20th of December. No change on my end.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I still have some stuttering with the beta drivers but it seems better.. though your right this has sapped the joy out of what once was my goto game for relaxing..
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I was curious, out of the people here who are experiencing stuttering ( not slowdowns or low FPS ), how many of you have Anti-Aliasing enabled? What are your shadow settings?

I've noticed that if I disable AA, that my stuttering seems to go down quite a bit despite already getting around 40fps. Mind you this only happens when I'm playing at 5760x1080, but it's worth a shot. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    AA is disabled, AF is disabled, Bloom off, Shadows off. It stutters even when graphics are at their lowest possible settings (Moving the slider all the way left).
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I had turned graphics all the way down to atari 2600 levels and no change.

To confirm though i did just install the 190.38 drivers and things seem to be working a lot better now. Will have to check tomorrow when there are more on to make sure but seems a lot more playable now. I hope NVIDIA or CO resolves whatever the issue is as it would be nice to run the latest drivers (although since the only other game I play is Fallout3 i dont think that will be an issue for me.)
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Then:

I changed it to:

After I completely uninstalled my Graphics Drivers (GTX260 SLI) and reinstalled in Safe Mode, and also tried the proxy thing which seemed to minimize the problem, it was still there, just not as bad. I tried this, and strangely enough this worked. I even turned the graphics back to max everything, no stuttering whatsoever. Pleasantly surprised here.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ByteStorm wrote:
    After I completely uninstalled my Graphics Drivers (GTX260 SLI) and reinstalled in Safe Mode, and also tried the proxy thing which seemed to minimize the problem, it was still there, just not as bad. I tried this, and strangely enough this worked. I even turned the graphics back to max everything, no stuttering whatsoever. Pleasantly surprised here.

I tried that as well before going back to the older driver. It did not work for me.

Going with the 190.38 has so far been the only thing that totally eliminated the stuttering.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    OK, So I found at least one area that continuously kills me. Burnside. While the Stuttering was minimized everywhere else (so far), this area was ridiculously awful. I searched online to find other possible fixes and caved with the overheating thought. Highly doubtful, I install RivaTuner, and set the Fan Speed to 64% fixed rate. Image my surprise, no more stuttering at all in Burnisde.

Now I am surprised, but I had also turned off any and all background tasks as well. So I turned them back on, and as a test turned the fan speed to auto (standard) and there was still no stuttering!

I am happy now. Confused, but happy.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So... we still can't update our drivers, then?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I am running the latest drivers.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I stared having major rubber banding resently. I just rolled back my Realtek audio driver, which I also updated resently. I'll let you know if that works after I finish my virus/spyware scan. The rubber-banding is so bad, I can't really play CO. Did have this problem before.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Then:

I changed it to:

Not working for me. I have the 8800GT.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Seare wrote:
    I stared having major rubber banding resently. I just rolled back my Realtek audio driver, which I also updated resently. I'll let you know if that works after I finish my virus/spyware scan. The rubber-banding is so bad, I can't really play CO. Did have this problem before.

Nope didn't work.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    rubberbanding is usually caused by network lag(issues) not graphic issues.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Still only getting decent performance on 190.xx drivers.

The recent "fixes" suggested do nothing... so, once again, we're all holding our drivers back until Cryptic gets their head out of their butts and starts analyzing what we already know: the problem is NOT on the user end. I'm sure if you have quad core or SLI you can dink with it to make it close to acceptable, but as I have neither, and merely exceed the minimum requirements by.. 20% or so, that's not gonna do it for me.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PegasusMD wrote:

I'm with him, and I'll even put it in a stronger fashion. Rubberbanding CANNOT be caused by a video card, unless your card is somehow fighting for interrupts with your network card (only happens on extremely old computers and Macs).
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    All I'm going to say is this...

I've owned a number of cards from both ATI and Nvidia. Whenever I've encountered performance issues like the ones going on here, they were always corrected with later driver releases, not game updates. So, again, please do your homework before you attempt at trolling me.

Then why does this effect only one game engine? Cryptic's game engine. If the drivers were bad, then other games would have had similar issues. And everyone seems perfectly happy with the performance of other installed games.

The game was pushed out too quickly, and, as has already been stated several times, the devs have acknowledged the issue and are having a hard time nailing it down

And i highly doubt that is all you will say...
    ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PegasusMD wrote:

I have a FIOS connection.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Soupgoblin wrote:
    Then why does this effect only one game engine? Cryptic's game engine. If the drivers were bad, then other games would have had similar issues. And everyone seems perfectly happy with the performance of other installed games.

The game was pushed out too quickly, and, as has already been stated several times, the devs have acknowledged the issue and are having a hard time nailing it down

And i highly doubt that is all you will say...
    ;)

I didn't have this problem until last week. All my other games work fine.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SoheiFox wrote:
    I'm with him, and I'll even put it in a stronger fashion. Rubberbanding CANNOT be caused by a video card, unless your card is somehow fighting for interrupts with your network card (only happens on extremely old computers and Macs).

Hitching is similar to rubber-banding and that can be a number of things. All I know is I have a Fiber Optic connection and I didn't have this problem until Wednesday.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Seare wrote:
    Hitching is similar to rubber-banding and that can be a number of things. All I know is I have a Fiber Optic connection and I didn't have this problem until Wednesday.

Your Fiber is only good to the ISP after that you are at the mercy of the ISP routing cabling equipment, traffic management software, thier choice of routing partners thier routing partner equipment and traffic management software etc. any of which can have equipment problems , software updates etc that can affect your packets in the game and can change without your knowledge or permissions.

Thats why the dev have the nettest software for you to use to see if there is any blocking or delays on the game packets and ports.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Seare wrote:
    I have a FIOS connection.

This does not make you immune to switching routers further down the lines going bad and having issues. Technology isn't magic, things deteriorate, and just because something wasn't happening last week doesn't mean it can't be now. Rubberbanding can NOT be caused by your video card any more then having low brake fluid can cause the stereo to stop working in your car.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SoheiFox wrote:
    This does not make you immune to switching routers further down the lines going bad and having issues. Technology isn't magic, things deteriorate, and just because something wasn't happening last week doesn't mean it can't be now. Rubberbanding can NOT be caused by your video card any more then having low brake fluid can cause the stereo to stop working in your car.

OK, you don't have to get smart about it. I do work in the IT field, but I don't have N+ yet. Please don't talk down to me. I've never had this problem, ever, and now it's real bad. I can't even play the game. I'm trying to determine the problem.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PegasusMD wrote:
    Your Fiber is only good to the ISP after that you are at the mercy of the ISP routing cabling equipment, traffic management software, thier choice of routing partners thier routing partner equipment and traffic management software etc. any of which can have equipment problems , software updates etc that can affect your packets in the game and can change without your knowledge or permissions.

Thats why the dev have the nettest software for you to use to see if there is any blocking or delays on the game packets and ports.

Where can I get nettest? The search features on this forum aren't that good, sorry.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Seare wrote:
    OK, you don't have to get smart about it. I do work in the IT field, but I don't have N+ yet. Please don't talk down to me. I've never had this problem, ever, and now it's real bad. I can't even play the game. I'm trying to determine the problem.

You were talked down to because you had to be told the same thing twice. You are not a special flower, and the world does not exist to preserve your self esteem. If you want your problem solved you MUST remove your head from your bottom, and do the tests people are telling you to do rather then saying "It can't be that because I have the latest equipment so it's impossible for it to go wrong!" and instead, proposing a blue moon scenario that, by the fact that you even suggested it, shows that if you do work in the IT field, you're not very good at it yet.

You will never get better at these things by assuming you know everything, you have to always learn. It is advisable that, in order to learn, you shut up and LEARN, instead of arguing with the teachers. This isn't grade school, and we're not volunteering to prop up your self-esteem, we're volunteering to fix your problem. Run the test and get back to us with the results so we can move onto the next step.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Seare wrote:
    Where can I get nettest? The search features on this forum aren't that good, sorry.

Quoting Pegasus here from another thread:
    PegasusMD wrote:
    you can do two things
    first do a tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com to check your routing.

then download and run nettest to check ports and packet filtering problems

Nettest:
    Go to files.champions-online.com/nettest.exe
    Download this file and run it
    A command prompt should appear running the test automatically
    Do alt prtscn(bessure the nettest is the active window) to Copy and paste the results in paint and save as jpeg and attach it in a post in this forum
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SoheiFox wrote:
    You were talked down to because you had to be told the same thing twice. You are not a special flower, and the world does not exist to preserve your self esteem. If you want your problem solved you MUST remove your head from your bottom, and do the tests people are telling you to do rather then saying "It can't be that because I have the latest equipment so it's impossible for it to go wrong!" and instead, proposing a blue moon scenario that, by the fact that you even suggested it, shows that if you do work in the IT field, you're not very good at it yet.

Hey a^%^&(*. I did try some of the tests and so far nothing has worked. I have tried several troubleshooting methods on my own and so far nothing has worked. Sometime its the client and not the end user. I also know something you don't but can't mention. So you can kiss my backside for being such a jerk. Why don't you run for President while you still know it all you ^%^%. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SoheiFox wrote:
    Quoting Pegasus here from another thread:

That's a lot more helpful than throwing petty insults.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PegasusMD wrote:

OK, I attached a screenshot. Networking is not my strong point, but I had a time out on port 7255. all the other ports went through. I really don't know if these time are good or not. Keep in mind that rubberbanding is just part of the problem. I'm also having the delays that other are reporting.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The game uses ports 7000-7500

Good connection has values 300-500 in columns 1 and 3 and arround 20 for column 2.

I think support or a dev need to look are your reading do not look right almost like packet doubling.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PegasusMD wrote:
    The game uses ports 7000-7500

Good connection has values 300-500 in columns 1 and 3 and arround 20 for column 2.

I think support or a dev need to look are your reading do not look right almost like packet doubling.

OK, I'll file a ticket then. Thanks for you help.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I wouldn't bother with the speeds, your problem isn't "packet doubling" as indicated, as I have a FiOS connection (25/15), just ran that test, and am getting higher values than yours, with no rubberbanding. I would be concerned about that timeout though, as if I had to guess, each port test is TCP first, UDP second.

If your TCP handshack on a critical port is failing, than there might be a conflict with another program or computer on your net that is trying to go out that same port. Your ping time is very good at 30~40ms, so the path taken is fine.

If packets were indeed getting doubled, then there is a fundemental flaw with the coding. But there is an easy way to test for this doubling, and that is using wireshark to sniff out the packets sent over those ports. If you see too many, then he is right on the doubling part. I think your going to see normal packet traffic, but that missing one is gonna go out, and not come back.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ByteStorm wrote:
    I wouldn't bother with the speeds, your problem isn't "packet doubling" as indicated, as I have a FiOS connection (25/15), just ran that test, and am getting higher values than yours, with no rubberbanding. I would be concerned about that timeout though, as if I had to guess, each port test is TCP first, UDP second.

If your TCP handshack on a critical port is failing, than there might be a conflict with another program or computer on your net that is trying to go out that same port. Your ping time is very good at 30~40ms, so the path taken is fine.

If packets were indeed getting doubled, then there is a fundemental flaw with the coding. But there is an easy way to test for this doubling, and that is using wireshark to sniff out the packets sent over those ports. If you see too many, then he is right on the doubling part. I think your going to see normal packet traffic, but that missing one is gonna go out, and not come back.

I plated around with my cat5 cables and ran the tests again. That time the port didn't time out. However, there was no improvement in the game. I filed a ticket and they told me to update my graphic card driver which I had already done. LOL!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PegasusMD wrote:

In vitually all other cases I would agree. However, in this case installing driver 190.62 all of these issues go away. For me anyway. My original conclusion was always it was my internet connection, because I know it is poor. But I can say with certainty, that using 190.62 I have no rubberbanding, or stuttering.

But I would really wish they would understand that 190.62's performance is just poor. Maybe 40 fps with a Tri-SLI setup. Whereas 60+ fps with 195.62 or higher, just the added 'bonus' of stuttering and rubberbanding.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I managed to stop the stuttering issue when I installed the latest beta drivers AND added the champions online profile to my nvidia control panel, then setting the the global profile for quality as noted before.
    This effectively eliminated all stuttering issues.
    My specs:
    Win 7 64 Pro
    q660
    Gtx 275

None of these are OC'ed and are on a newly formatted HD.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I fixed that same issue by using the 195.81 betas which stop that stuttering on my system. Since I been using those drivers, it never happened again for me.