Options

I Didn't Know That Was A Bad Word...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Mjoelnnir wrote:
    So if I am wrong(and that could really be) its an good example for what I meant. I will not make a black Toon named *****man and I will not make a Toon called happy 9/11. And so it would be fine to not make a Toon that would have anything to do with WWII.
    The N word is not used in germany wether for insult nor for jokes. So, it is a word I learned many years ago and it was associated with black people. And from songs and shows on TV I heard black people using that word. But hey, if it is wrong even for black people, I learned something.
    I only wanted to make sure that everyone gets my point of view on this. And I used an example, a wrong one.
    But I hope you get me, I really can't stand any of those "jokes" about Nazis I see every time when I play online with mostly americans. It is not funny.

Well, TV and Rap Songs don't represent the Black race. And it is definitively wrong for black people. But we can't stop everyone who to tries to profit off exploitations. And like with most races, you have the good and the bad. And as far as the Nazi jokes, I don't think it is funny either and I am American. That was one jacked up time period and it should never been taken lightly. Yes, I did get your point and understand where you are now coming from completely.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    To add to this discussion, can someone tell me why dark star is not allowed? yet I can do darkened star or dark starr, or even The star that lies in the dark?

:P but not dark and star together. Star dark is a no no, too
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Not many threads manage to pull Godwin's law on the first post.

I wonder if the filter still considers "put a" a naughty term.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    martyllia wrote:
    To add to this discussion, can someone tell me why dark star is not allowed? yet I can do darkened star or dark starr, or even The star that lies in the dark?

:P but not dark and star together. Star dark is a no no, too

"Dark Star" has been commonly referred to as "rear end" ( use your imagination on that one) . It is been circulating around the internet for quite awhile.

Here is the link for reference:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dark%20Star
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Darkstar is also an existing comic book character:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkstar_(comics)

-np
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Darkstar is also an existing comic book character:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkstar_(comics)

This is the most likely reason.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    personae wrote:
    This is the most likely reason.

So is Bruce Banner, the Hulkster and other names. But I have seen those names in-game. I saw "Bruce Banner" in a scientist outfit just two days ago. Mr. Fixit was a comic book name, seen that in game too. And any form of Hulk should be banned too, but that ain't the case either. So I am not completely sold on that.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    There's a lot of names that are existing properties that aren't filtered out.

That just means they haven't been added to the list yet.

I suspect if you report them, and they get force-renamed, the offending name will afterwards start to be blocked.

-np
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That maybe true, but the user stated too "Dark <space> Star" and the comic book character is "DarkStar" no spaces. This why I am not 100 percent sold on that particular idea. But again, what you are saying could very well be true, it is just inconsistent.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Since we're on the subject, anyone knows why Dynamite is censored ? My comic-fu isn't what it used to be so it might be a known copyrighted character I've never heard of.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Akwartz wrote:
    Since we're on the subject, anyone knows why Dynamite is censored ? My comic-fu isn't what it used to be so it might be a known copyrighted character I've never heard of.

Likely its because of this character. But there's also a Dynamite Comics.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    MrAsmodeus wrote:
    IIRC, if its distributed in Germany, the word Nazi is a no-no

This.

City of Heroes originally launched with one of the villain factions being the Fifth Column, which basically were US-based terrorist supporters of the Nazis during WWII and who outlived the regime they were supporting. Quite frankly they were my favorite villain faction to whoop up on. Sadly in order to be eligible for distribution in Germany, the Fifth Column was replaced with the Council, who turned out to be... space luchadores. :rolleyes:

I'm still irritated to this day over the change. German policymakers should realize that it's precisely because of their predecessors that Nazis are unpopular.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've got one better:

Try making your hero description "The best hero in the world!" And watch as the profanity filter flags you. Ha ha.

The problem, as far as I can tell, is that it mistakes "hero in" for "heroin", and it thinks you're talking about drugs.

still, not being able to say a HERO is IN something is pretty bad for a dialog designed to describe a HERO.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Haggard wrote:
    This.

City of Heroes originally launched with one of the villain factions being the Fifth Column, which basically were US-based terrorist supporters of the Nazis during WWII and who outlived the regime they were supporting. Quite frankly they were my favorite villain faction to whoop up on. Sadly in order to be eligible for distribution in Germany, the Fifth Column was replaced with the Council, who turned out to be... space luchadores. :rolleyes:

I'm still irritated to this day over the change. German policymakers should realize that it's precisely because of their predecessors that Nazis are unpopular.

If you read through the thread you would find that the word Nazi is NOT illegal (only symbols and slogans in German) and the 5th Column was NOT removed from COX due to their Nazi origins. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've got one better:

Try making your hero description "The best hero in the world!" And watch as the profanity filter flags you. Ha ha.

The problem, as far as I can tell, is that it mistakes "hero in" for "heroin", and it thinks you're talking about drugs.

still, not being able to say a HERO is IN something is pretty bad for a dialog designed to describe a HERO.

You missed the more important and likely to be used: 'Heroine' :p
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    personae wrote:
    You missed the more important and likely to be used: 'Heroine' :p

Facepalm. Yes, that is even worse. You can't use the word 'Heroine' in the bio of your Heroine.

Oh Champions Online, you are sometimes too silly.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nazi = not a bad word people make it bad like in WWII/neo nazi, ect.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That's okay Asakara, in America redneck is now considered offensive in some places - so now we just say Country Music Star.