Install Arc
Options

Telekinesis Strength

2»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Ben6989 seemed to be thinking in the right direction, and I've actually heard the idea before. I think they should make the power perform like the Hurl power from the Might set. At Rank 1 of the TK power, you would lift a small amount of earth/ground and hurl it at a target for some damage, Rank 2 would hurl a larger chunk of earth/ground for good damage, and Rank 3 would throw a big chunk of earth/ground dealing incredible damage.

This gets rid of the whole "You need EGO to lift this object with your mind" idea, so there wouldn't be an issue of EGO not scaling 1-1 with STR. It also stops the whole LOS issue as well.

The last part really gets me the most, because people say that you can fix the power currently by making it auto select and/or auto throw the nearest object at a targeted enemy. This would still pose a large LOS problem because, for example, what if the nearest object you can lift is on the other side of a wall? You would end up auto throwing the object into the wall, and never realize why the enemy didn't take any damage (and future players trying out this power could get as frustrated/confused as some are with it now).

To summarize:
    - Don't auto target/ auto throw, it'll still have issues.
    - Make the power like Hurl so you don't need to target any objects, just enemies.

I really want this power to be of more use. *Fingers crossed*
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fauqs wrote:
    Ben6989 seemed to be thinking in the right direction, and I've actually heard the idea before. I think they should make the power perform like the Hurl power from the Might set. At Rank 1 of the TK power, you would lift a small amount of earth/ground and hurl it at a target for some damage, Rank 2 would hurl a larger chunk of earth/ground for good damage, and Rank 3 would throw a big chunk of earth/ground dealing incredible damage.

This gets rid of the whole "You need EGO to lift this object with your mind" idea, so there wouldn't be an issue of EGO not scaling 1-1 with STR. It also stops the whole LOS issue as well.

The last part really gets me the most, because people say that you can fix the power currently by making it auto select and/or auto throw the nearest object at a targeted enemy. This would still pose a large LOS problem because, for example, what if the nearest object you can lift is on the other side of a wall? You would end up auto throwing the object into the wall, and never realize why the enemy didn't take any damage (and future players trying out this power could get as frustrated/confused as some are with it now).

To summarize:
    - Don't auto target/ auto throw, it'll still have issues.
    - Make the power like Hurl so you don't need to target any objects, just enemies.

I really want this power to be of more use. *Fingers crossed*

Then you could also throw in a remove power advantage.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I would change Telekinesis to a passive power that simply changes your innate Lift ability to use Ego instead of Strength, with a corresponding animation change (levitate instead of lift, hover beside you instead of carry.)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I say when you are not activly picking something up, T-kin should default to a generated throw, may the animation could be several small stone all around lift off the ground and fly towards your target. Something that makes using a Power point worth it You could even make it a sustain damage by having stones fly at your target as long as the button is down.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ryolacap wrote:
    I say when you are not activly picking something up, T-kin should default to a generated throw, may the animation could be several small stone all around lift off the ground and fly towards your target. Something that makes using a Power point worth it You could even make it a sustain damage by having stones fly at your target as long as the button is down.

There is an idea combine the two - If you target and object it becomes a "lift" and uses 1 ego = 1 str, if not then it becomes a hurl and you rank up TK to increase the "hurl" aspect of it and or add a travel power stopper.

Thus you get the benefit of lifting objects and when there is no objects or objects worth throwing you just hurl stuff.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Zakka-Ryuu wrote:
    See I have to disagree again Black, because those who stack strength tend to be melee focused - thus the few range we get is throw and hurling things at people. After all might say everything is an object to be used against people. Think this is why the dervs have the advantage for strength in the first place.

With current busted-I-mean-adjusted passive defenses at their "too weak to be relevant" levels, the only passives that let me survive are invulnerability and regen.
    Given the character concept for my main, I took invulnerability in lieu of Ego Form - it fits, he's made of living metal - and therefore, I have both STR and EGO as super-stats. Yes, I miss the boosts from Ego Form, but frankly, I can still do 500+ damage with the Reaper blades.

As a result of superstatting STR to support invuln, I can and do throw trucks (and Viper heavy transports, and I used to throw Anacondas before they made them un-grabbable) with great glee and wild abandon.

I tested out TK and laughed and laughed, and didn't bother taking it out of the Powerhouse.
    Ridiculous, pitiful, clumsy and REALLY slow. Therefore, instead of TK (the "at longer ranges" power from the set) I have Throw Stuff. Incidentally, physically throwing large objects does splash damage to the things close to the target ... Last night I tossed a heavy transport at the L20 demolitionist and the soldier next to him was KO'ed. And thrown about 10 feet.

There's a TK Maelstrom power which throws lots of pulled-from-the-ground objects which I will probably grab soon. If it isn't stupid like TK.

Otherwise, just a pointer, combination characters do exist, and will mess up any balancing you attempt by making things work perfectly ONLY for the pure-build characters. Oh, and changing TK to work in any number of better ways? WOULD NOT BE UNBALANCING. Paying points to get an effect IS the balancing mechanism in this game system.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Foomf wrote:
    With current busted-I-mean-adjusted passive defenses at their "too weak to be relevant" levels, the only passives that let me survive are invulnerability and regen.
    Given the character concept for my main, I took invulnerability in lieu of Ego Form - it fits, he's made of living metal - and therefore, I have both STR and EGO as super-stats. Yes, I miss the boosts from Ego Form, but frankly, I can still do 500+ damage with the Reaper blades.

As a result of superstatting STR to support invuln, I can and do throw trucks (and Viper heavy transports, and I used to throw Anacondas before they made them un-grabbable) with great glee and wild abandon.

I tested out TK and laughed and laughed, and didn't bother taking it out of the Powerhouse.
    Ridiculous, pitiful, clumsy and REALLY slow. Therefore, instead of TK (the "at longer ranges" power from the set) I have Throw Stuff. Incidentally, physically throwing large objects does splash damage to the things close to the target ... Last night I tossed a heavy transport at the L20 demolitionist and the soldier next to him was KO'ed. And thrown about 10 feet.

There's a TK Maelstrom power which throws lots of pulled-from-the-ground objects which I will probably grab soon. If it isn't stupid like TK.

Otherwise, just a pointer, combination characters do exist, and will mess up any balancing you attempt by making things work perfectly ONLY for the pure-build characters. Oh, and changing TK to work in any number of better ways? WOULD NOT BE UNBALANCING. Paying points to get an effect IS the balancing mechanism in this game system.

I don't think I said anywhere combination characters don't exist O.o. If you ask me it just another reason why if you stick with a powerset you should get a small bonus and I am fairly confident that it sitll won't be as effective as picking inv here, this skill there, that skill from this power set. But it would be enough to make you feel as if you didn't completely gimp yourself.

Wouldn't you love to take ego form back if you knew that since most of your skills are under the same tree that ego form would be more effective due to that? I know I'd grab defiance up again. But as it stands max stack defiance is almost as good as invu. So why bother getting a defense skill that one isn't always on and "is or almost as" effective as something thats always on?

Also EGO blades is considered melee pretty sure ;)

But I get hat you saying, what I was saying earlier is its nice to have something that only those who focus mainly on strength get to do. But as I thought about it if they rank TK up then why not be able to lift the same amount weight as someone with strength.

Now I am really cofnused where this confusation has gone xD
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Biff-Pow wrote:
    I would change Telekinesis to a passive power that simply changes your innate Lift ability to use Ego instead of Strength, with a corresponding animation change (levitate instead of lift, hover beside you instead of carry.)

Bingo! That's what I want. But not a passive that needs to be slotted.

I like being able to lift objects that are actually around me. I don't want to automatically throw chunks of earth that instantly grow back ala Hurl. I want to be able to manipulate the objects that are already in the area with my mind in the same way that a brute can with his muscle. I want equality of lifting and throwing ability at the very least seeing as I am spending much more to have it than a Strength character is.

I don't want the power turned into a dumbed down, vanilla version of itself. I want it buffed so that it worthy of being called Telekinesis.

:cool:
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I would also like to see telekinesis "fixed" or tweaked a little to be less annoying. Telekinesis is the first power I got excited about. I wanted to be a Magneto like character, but due to the suckiness of the power, I don't even have telekinesis in my lvl 39 powerset. At the moment, it is unfortunately useless when compared to other powers.