test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does Anyone Use Aspect of the Machine?

arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Power Discussion
Just curious. I just finally got around to leveling an awakened AT and, a lot about it seems pretty subpar. I can't help thinking that, with a few tweaks, AotM would actually be a really good power for toons that are a mix of melee and ranged damage but, as is, it just seems like no one would even want to bother so, I'm asking, does anyone even use it?
Post edited by arimikami on

Comments

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, I have a character I use it on where I have a bunch of different melee and ranged attacks.

At 3 stacks Machine only gives ~14% less damage than 8 stacks of another form ( but the difference is, both types of damage are buffed, so it's a 14% loss to one type, but a sizable gain to the other ). At 5 stacks Machine is pretty much even with the other forms( and when I'm dealing with groups of NPCs, where I actually care about having high damage, I'll have 5 stacks ). So that's the price you pay for having equal damage bonus to both melee and ranged ( It's also kind of neat how I have Strength buffing both melee and ranged equally ).

The character doesn't need the energy gain from a form, so it works out fairly nicely. My only issue with the build is actually not even related to Aspect of the Machine - the issue being that there really isn't much of a reason to have a mixed melee/range character (other than theme).

If you want a character that has equally buffed melee and ranged attacks, Aspect of the Machine is the way to go. If you don't care about that, then Aspect of the Machine doesn't offer you anything. It's certainly not the "horrible form" that everyone tried to paint it as, but it definitely is designed in such a way that only those people who want it specifically to have a melee/ranged mix character will want it.
  • Options
    arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the write up on it. I think my big problem with it is that it doesn't refresh stacks like other form powers do, making it harder to keep it at max stacks than other powers when it already has a more difficult qualifier to fulfill.
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You have to rank it to get the mot out of it. IMHO.

It works great if you have a mixed melee/ranged build. And it's fine in most PvE encounters. You'll have not trouble keeping stacks.

In boss encounters.. if you don't have it ranked it wont do you much good.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    riverocean wrote: »
    You have to rank it to get the mot out of it. IMHO.

It works great if you have a mixed melee/ranged build. And it's fine in most PvE encounters. You'll have not trouble keeping stacks.

In boss encounters.. if you don't have it ranked it wont do you much good.

I have a handful of characters that carry 2 forms. Several more that carry 2 passives. Primarily for the above reasons.

The same can be said for carrying alternate Secondary Offense/Defense/Utility items, since I have some "On Kills" and Perception items that are handy to swap out.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't like having to rank up AotM to get the big benefit, and I often rely on a form for energy management.

I do have a few mixed ranged/melee builds, but they usually have Primal Majesty passive and take IDF as a form . . . which also requires ranking up, and does not help with energy.

I dunno, AotM isn't the worst thing ever; it's just kinda lousy. In some very particular builds, it's useful for PvE.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    In some very particular builds, it's useful for PvE.

Designer intent achieved. s( o w o )z
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm only about halfway through leveling my Reawakened. It seems like it would be more useful if you solo and get all the kills. In Alerts it almost seems useless...actually more "random", it's useful, just difficult to MAKE it get the kill shot. It just happens (or often, doesn't).
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    mauk2mauk2 Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    arimikami wrote: »
    Just curious. I just finally got around to leveling an awakened AT and, a lot about it seems pretty subpar. I can't help thinking that, with a few tweaks, AotM would actually be a really good power for toons that are a mix of melee and ranged damage but, as is, it just seems like no one would even want to bother so, I'm asking, does anyone even use it?

I have a toon that I absolutely adore that mixes ranged and melee. It KILLS. :)

But, I'm using concentration, which means its a lot stronger in ranged attacks than in melee attacks.

Aspect would be perfect for this toon, except that in a team, or a boss fight, Aspect is useless because you can't count on it. Every other form has an easier trigger condition.

They need to add some trigger conditions to Aspect aside from the 'killing shot' thing. Some ideas:

Aspect of the Machine gives you a stack of goodies if you get the FIRST attack on a bad guy, as well as the last.

Aspect of the Machine gives you a stack of goodies if you did over half the total hits on a mob when it drops.

Aspect of the Machine gives you a stack of goodies if you do not change targets in twelve seconds.

Those three things would get it firing pretty solidly, and more importantly, would let you play and/or build to make it work for you.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I'm only about halfway through leveling my Reawakened. It seems like it would be more useful if you solo and get all the kills. In Alerts it almost seems useless...actually more "random", it's useful, just difficult to MAKE it get the kill shot. It just happens (or often, doesn't).

It's actually not useless if you rank it up. Remember, ~14% damage loss to one attack type, but other attack type isn't all smooey. Also, the neatness of having Ego or Strength boost both attack types.

If your response is "I don't care about having melee and ranged attacks having equal damage bonuses" then congrats, you don't ever need to use a form designed for that specific function :D

If your response is "I think a form that gives equal bonus to melee and ranged attacks should also be as useful to each individual attack type as other forms are to their one specific attack type" then I am going to poke you on your nose tip u3u
  • Options
    dragoncoatdragoncoat Posts: 1
    edited May 2015
    Just going to de-lurk to put in my 2 bits on Aspect of the Machine. I kind of have to agree with the notion that it really does need a different stack trigger. It would make having a Melee/Ranged hybrid a little less... Clunky? Would that be the right Word? It really is the only Form of it's kind, which doesn't mean much since I don't think there are many forms anyway, but it'd also make the pool of "useful" powers that much bigger. Even though all the powers are supposed to be useful... I digress.

It also stacks Frenzy, which... OK, I can see why they might make it killing blows thematically. I just think maybe making it a chance to stack with clicks/lower chance on maintain ticks would make a little more sense to me. Though that means nothing when you can't keep stacks, so keeping stacks might be a little more important.
  • Options
    doomedluke1doomedluke1 Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have an Automaton char and I really don't think it's a bad power. It's a good power with a bad mechanic. (I also disagree with most people's opinions about the AT, it has its flaws, but it's really not a bad AT)

I don't think it's too hard to get the kills, since the AT has some pretty strong powers, Rocket Fist and Chest Beam, unless your teammates are of that kind that annihilate mobs in fractions of seconds. If you time your attacks right, you can get some kills even in group, to stack it up. Anyways, I ranked it to level 3 and don't worry too much about it. The real downside is when you're fighting bosses. Besides that, the ranks vanish too quickly and sometimes it's a bit hard too keep them.

If it had another way of stacking, like mauk2 suggestions for example, then it could be great.
  • Options
    vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    If your response is "I think a form that gives equal bonus to melee and ranged attacks should also be as useful to each individual attack type as other forms are to their one specific attack type" then I am going to poke you on your nose tip u3u

Think I'm due for a nose poke then, because.... ranged is fundamentally superior to melee! Who cares if something that boosts ranged also boost melee equally?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    vonqball wrote: »
    Think I'm due for a nose poke then, because.... ranged is fundamentally superior to melee! Who cares if something that boosts ranged also boost melee equally?
    If your response is "I don't care about having melee and ranged attacks having equal damage bonuses" then congrats, you don't ever need to use a form designed for that specific function :D

*pokes your nose* :3

It's all about balance. Greater versatility requires lower power. The fact that versatility is only useful in the form of adding healing to any build in this game is it's own issue. You don't say "Well this part of my game is poorly balanced, so I might as well just let everything be poorly balanced". That's like saying that throwing garbage on the floor is a good idea because the room is already a mess.
  • Options
    violetnychusvioletnychus Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    the issue being that there really isn't much of a reason to have a mixed melee/range character (other than theme)

And there is the core of the complaint.

Its penalty of not conveniently stacking only punishes you for a concept, not any actual advantage.
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    spinnytop doesn't read:

It's actually not useless if you rank it up.

I believer I SAID it wasn't useless, just after saying it kind of SEEMED useless, and then explained why.

And of course I ranked it up, what am I a moron? :biggrin:

SHUUUUT IT! :mad:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    And there is the core of the complaint.

Its penalty of not conveniently stacking only punishes you for a concept, not any actual advantage.

That is an issue that cannot be solved through the Aspect of the Machine form. The downsides of the form do not punish you, they make sure that the form is balanced according to it's intent; and also that it doesn't became the obvious best form, rendering all other damage forms irrelevant in the process.

This issue could only be solved by altering some game content to make having both types of attacks relevant. Once there was some tactical benefit to having both types of attacks, the problem would be solved.

Also, your perceived punishment is easily dodged; just don't use the form. Since there is no benefit to having both types of attacks with the same amount of damage bonus, you can just use one of the other damage forms and suffer no tactical loss, right?

It's one or the other... either there's no reason to care about having equal melee and range attacks and hence you don't care about Machine... or there is a reason, and hence you acknowledge why the form needs to be balanced as it is.

I believer I SAID it wasn't useless, just after saying it kind of SEEMED useless, and then explained why.

And of course I ranked it up, what am I a moron? :biggrin:

So then you agree that it isn't useless, and is a good form. I accept this.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    That was just a self-contradiction. On one hand you admit combined positions are not an advantage, and another you say difficult stacking was necessary to prevent aspect from being too strong.

How could the form be too strong if switching positions is not useful? I say there should be far fewer disadvantages around position switching in general, forms included.

Concept is the main reason AOTM should be competitive.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    That was just a self-contradiction. On one hand you admit combined positions are not an advantage, and another you say difficult stacking was necessary to prevent aspect from being too strong.

How could the form be too strong if switching positions is not useful? I say there should be far fewer disadvantages around position switching in general, forms included.

Concept is the main reason AOTM should be competitive.

The contradiction is people who say "There is no benefit to having equal melee and ranged bonus... but I still care about using AOTM".

Is your theme completely ruined because your numbers are a bit different?

Ranged/melee mixed builds don't need to be relevant for the threat of a form that does everything all the other damage forms do at the same time replacing those other forms as relevant to exist.

We have a lot of cases of powers that are too good making other powers clearly worse choices. Does the fact that the game is easy enough that your power choices don't matter make that any less true?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    *pokes your nose* :3

It's all about balance. Greater versatility requires lower power. The fact that versatility is only useful in the form of adding healing to any build in this game is it's own issue. You don't say "Well this part of my game is poorly balanced, so I might as well just let everything be poorly balanced". That's like saying that throwing garbage on the floor is a good idea because the room is already a mess.

Not mah nose!

I pretty much entirely disagree. There is no balance issue to be unbalanced. The ranged melee segregation was an arbitrary decision made by the game designers, and has nothing to do with balance. Ranged is more versatile, so a ranged/melee hybrid form doesn't really add any versatility.. as far as effectiveness goes anyway. Theme-wise, yeah versatility! But, that is hardly a balance issue.

In the champions pen and paper game, melee attacks got a boost from strength, and ranged got a boost from nothing. That was the price for having a more versatile form of attack. Strength gave physical defense, so melee were a tougher bunch, while still hitting hard. This game kept many of the names from the pen and paper system, but warped them to fit onto a frame they had already constructed for their marvel mmo. It was never a great fit, IMO.

I think a more fitting statement would be... "This ranged/melee segregation is garbage, let's put it where it belongs."
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    You can dance a lot of language around the point but never beat it: CONCEPT is not a thing a player should pay for in any balance system.
  • Options
    cherryclobbercherryclobber Posts: 2 Arc User
    Here is a link to a YouTube vid from Champs Online Tv: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cMsSWnemCk
    I respec'd my Automaton to this build and it is a fun themed build. Here is the build (I used athletics and jet boots for travel, however they used rocket jump and jet boots):
    powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=12&n=YT%20Iron%20Man&d=1815dCFXBRUB0633005310137049D03IC0G9E037G00IF0KI7097B033E038F049Q009R003AsC43Oy3bDM
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

Here is a link to a YouTube vid from Champs Online Tv: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cMsSWnemCk

Wow...ToS violation, the YouTube video.
  • Options
    xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User

You can dance a lot of language around the point but never beat it: CONCEPT is not a thing a player should pay for in any balance system.

True true..but unfortunately, CO is anything from balanced, so it will be a price to pay until...quite some time from now :|
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I hate those copy-a-hero-build videos. There are a bunch.

Yes, you can use Champs to make an existing character. Yay?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I dunno, other than the costume, that "Iron man build" could fit any hero that both punches and uses energy blasts. Odd build actually. I wonder if this is the way to make vindicator mastery meaningful... essentially by not min-maxing the damage potential of the rest of the build.
  • Options
    champstvchampstv Posts: 3 Arc User

I hate those copy-a-hero-build videos. There are a bunch.

Yes, you can use Champs to make an existing character. Yay?

Here is a link to a YouTube vid from Champs Online Tv:

Wow...ToS violation, the YouTube video.
    Nah, its not. The videos use popular characters to give an idea of what the build is capable of. During the videos we try to mention "You could also use it for these general ideas:blah blah blah" The "Iron Man" build really works for any build where you want someone who is both melee and energy oriented like a Nova type character. I don't actually run around in CO with an Iron Man suit on, and hopefully nobody else does either, the best part about CO is character customization.

I do plan to kept it more "generic" in name though like "Space Marine" instead of Master Chief, but rest assured we aren't going to make "Spider-guy" and run around MC

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    I still prob wouldn't try to emulate copyrighted/known superhero costumes; just taking a different name isn't often enough. Ya can def make inspired costumes, though- take the reference, but add some diff designs and/or colors, maybe change the gender or body form, etc.

The issue isn't really the build, though; its the outward appearance that's often the sticking point for being reported.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!