test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

need help building a tank

kage1822kage1822 Posts: 326 Arc User
edited May 2015 in Power Discussion
been trying to remake my only tank, as a hybrid between 2 sets, and just get lost in figuring out how I should do it, so any help would be greatly appreciated. The 2 sets are PA/HW (think a Gundamesque type theme)
Post edited by kage1822 on

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,829 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Since slotted PA powers disable non-PA powers when used, mixing PA w/ HW may be a bit tricky. Ya could section off the slotted PA stuff purely for AoE, though HW's strong-point is AoE as well (close-range AoE that is, but not strong for single-target).

Are you considering Laser Sword powers for the build? I'll throw one together trying to mix non-slotted stuff and no Laser Sword, though I'm just making wide assumptions to throw something preliminary out there:

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Invincible
    Level 6: Physical Conditioning
    Level 9: Healthy Mind
    Level 12: Body and Mind
    Level 15: Boundless Reserves
    Level 18: Bodybuilder
    Level 21: Investigator

Powers:
    Level 1: Power Bolts
    Level 1: Cleave (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 6: Defiance
    Level 8: Rocket Punch (Rank 2, Rank 3, Blast Wave)
    Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
    Level 17: Plasma Beam (Rank 2, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 20: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 23: Energy Wave (Reverse Polarity)
    Level 26: Unbreakable (Rank 2, Better You Than Me)
    Level 29: Eruption (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 32: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 38: Lightspeed Dash

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Strength: Swole (3/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (2/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (2/3)
    Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
    Avenger: Anguish (2/2)
    Avenger: Round 'em Up (3/3)
    Avenger: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Mastery: Avenger Mastery (1/1)

Its a combo-blaster, of sorts. Uses Cleave's higher crit rate w/ Ruthless to fire off a fast Rocket Punch when Avenger Mastery procs, and uses Eruption for CripC and to roll MSA. Its a more unconventional build to try to fit the odd powerset mix, but could be fun to toy around with (though Avenger Mastery is only avail at lvl 40 so its more of a retcon build).

I included Plasma Beam to add more PA to the mix, and cause it builds threat very quickly w/ CS and rapid ticks- though Energy Wave + Cleave alone may be enough for AoE.. so it could be replaced w/ a number of things.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • kage1822kage1822 Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, no laser sword

Why defiance? I've read that it's sub-par to other defensive passives

On another note Flow... you have me confused, you're always telling me not to go with BCR, yet looking at both your tank spreadsheet, and your build dump spreadsheet, you have multiple builds with BCR... so I'm kinda confused
    edited May 2015
    kage1822 wrote: »
    On another note Flow... you have me confused, you're always telling me not to go with BCR, yet looking at both your tank spreadsheet, and your build dump spreadsheet, you have multiple builds with BCR... so I'm kinda confused
    For dodge-passive builds, its a good heal. Up to you if ya can stomach the dmg penalty or not. I dun mind it as much personally, but I know many posters here don't like BCR at all for that reason. So I don't push BCR's penalty onto others unless I think the heal fits the build well- they may care more about it than I do.

Also, that doesn't seem to have much relevance to the topic at hand :p Yes, I have my own prefs; no, you don't have to do what I do. I'm just giving advise when requested and trying to put aside my own prefs when appropriate (not perfect in that regard, but noone is).

Defiance isn't really sup-par, imo, aside from possibly lower levels. Its the most dependent on Con of all the tank passives, and doesn't take to smaller hits as well as other passives (so it takes mroe maintenance healing for, say, trash/Alert content). Its a strong passive for bigger hits, for the energy return, and for not costing any adv points to do well. But then again, 'strong' and 'weak' are relative terms- some may consider Defiance weak, and compared to say 100% dodge builds or Regen for solo leveling I'd say 'sure', but relatively it can be a good tanking passive.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    edited May 2015
    So, being that I mostly solo, should I go regen or invul which for the most part has been a very good defensive for me?
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So, being that I mostly solo, should I go regen or invul which for the most part has been a very good defensive for me?
    If you're going to deal with large quantities of trash, such as soloing 5-man lairs, invul is easiest to work with; it provides more mitigation than defiance against attacks of less than around 2-3k (which covers everything but a few legendaries and cosmics) and is far less work than a 100% dodge build. The big benefit of regen is that you don't need to have a heal in your build, which means against the stuff it can easily deal with it's mindless.
    edited May 2015
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Since slotted PA powers disable non-PA powers when used, mixing PA w/ HW may be a bit tricky. Ya could section off the slotted PA stuff purely for AoE, though HW's strong-point is AoE as well (close-range AoE that is, but not strong for single-target).

Are you considering Laser Sword powers for the build? I'll throw one together trying to mix non-slotted stuff and no Laser Sword, though I'm just making wide assumptions to throw something preliminary out there:

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
    Level 6: Defiance
    Level 17: Plasma Beam (Rank 2, Challenging Strikes)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:

Its a combo-blaster, of sorts. Uses Cleave's higher crit rate w/ Ruthless to fire off a fast Rocket Punch when Avenger Mastery procs, and uses Eruption for CripC and to roll MSA. Its a more unconventional build to try to fit the odd powerset mix, but could be fun to toy around with (though Avenger Mastery is only avail at lvl 40 so its more of a retcon build).

I included Plasma Beam to add more PA to the mix, and cause it builds threat very quickly w/ CS and rapid ticks- though Energy Wave + Cleave alone may be enough for AoE.. so it could be replaced w/ a number of things.

changed defiance to invul, but there were only 2 adv points left, is there something you think can be sacrificed to bring invuln from R2 to R3?
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    changed defiance to invul, but there were only 2 adv points left, is there something you think can be sacrificed to bring invuln from R2 to R3?
    I'd drop Resurgence (including its r2) and replace with Masterful Dodge r1.
    edited May 2015

Depends a bit on how much ya use the diff attacks. Since Plasma Beam is mostly to spread CS easily, it can do that fine w/ just CS and R1- so ya could de-rank that if ya plan to rely more on Cleave and EW for AoE. Could also knock a rank off Rocket Punch or Eruption in a pinch.

Ofc, ya can always save adv points by going w/ R1 MD over ranked Unbreakable or Resurgence, but I didn't do that here due to MD not seeming to fit the theme. That's ur call, though.
    edited May 2015
    so, I went with this

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
    Level 6: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Plasma Beam (Challenging Strikes)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    edited May 2015
    Looks okay here. I'd test the build out in the PH and/or PTS and see how ya like it. If ya don't, we can always try a diff approach.
    edited May 2015
    Flow, took him into the PH to test out the build, b...i...g... problem

power bolts, no problem selecting (ofc)
    Cleave no problem selecting, but then the build falls apart...
    nxt was supposed to be invul then rocket punch... both of those are not able to be selected, they don't even show up on the list of available powers:frown: