test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Smackwell Comics: Knuckle Down

biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
edited January 2016 in Fan Base Alpha
So... I'm making this comic book as an exercise in doing a pencil-only book to see how that comes out. I like the results, but all the time I save inking the comic, I end up taking twice as long with the coloring... so in the long run I don't think I'm saving any time.

Anyway, I'm going to be posting the whole thing here, in a black-and-white format. It'll be eight pages. The process is pencils, "coloring", then lettering, and I'll be posting them as I finish them. This one starts a bit slow, but by page 3 there's plenty of action and stupid jokes to get it going.

Hope you guys like it, and hope you get a laugh. All comments and critiques are welcome!

(If you find it hard to read, right click each image and select "View Image" to see a larger version.)

New colored versions of page 1 through 3 are up!

Shorts!_I01_S03_P01_COLOR.jpg

Shorts!_I01_S03_P02_COLOR.jpg

Shorts!_I01_S03_P03_COLOR.jpg

KidKnuckles_KnuckleDown_Page01_New.jpg

KidKnuckles_KnuckleDown_Page02_New.jpg

KidKnuckles_KnuckleDown_Page03_New.jpg

KidKnuckles_KnuckleDown_Page04_New.jpg
biffsig.jpg
Post edited by biffsmackwell on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2015
    KidKnuckles_KnuckleDown_Page05.jpg

KidKnuckles_KnuckleDown_Page06.jpg

KidKnuckles_KnuckleDown_Page07.jpg

KidKnuckles_KnuckleDown_Page08.jpg

Post edited by biffsmackwell on
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    more!!!!!! The only problem I will have is when you reach the 4 image limit....im OCD like that. Feel free to erase my comment and have all the comic strips in a row. I see Evil Taco...I should make a guest appearance in a garbagecan, 1/8 the size of course.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    No worries, I have a bunch of hidden posts that I can un-hide when I need more space. OCD averted!

I'll be drawing page 3 tomorrow. I spent most of today experimenting with digital inking. I like how these pages look on paper, a lot, but I think there's some loss in the scanning. I dunno. But if I start inking digitally, it's faster, and I can do colors a ton faster, so I might be doing that once I'm done with pencils. We'll see how it goes

I'll hopefully have page 3 up tomorry. Not a lot of difficult shots, and will be fun to get some of the better jokes in. :P

Edit: Page 3 has some dark, scummy alleys in it. Maybe a scummy rat guy will show up. :D
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I want to know what happens in the Evil Taco comic in that last panel. Does he leave it all behind or does he hang in for the final fight?
  • Options
    agentcanadaagentcanada Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Very nice, the first page sets the tone perfectly. My favorite gag so far is T-Shirt The Movie.
    AC
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The trenchcoat guy's left arm in page 1 panel 4 seems oddly short. All his fingers in page 2 panel 4 are the same size. Other than those nits, very nice.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Exelent!
    Gorgeus!
    Dazzling!
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    prestochangoprestochango Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Exelent!
    Gorgeus!
    Dazzling!

Enough about me, what did you think of the art?

Seriously though, great stuff. I can't wait for the next installment.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Thanks everyone! I might have page 3 posted tonight. Halfway done with it!
    I want to know what happens in the Evil Taco comic in that last panel. Does he leave it all behind or does he hang in for the final fight?

He hangs in, but is subdued, and then Cake Friends bust in and help him get back on his feet. In the end, deliciousness wins.
    The trenchcoat guy's left arm in page 1 panel 4 seems oddly short. All his fingers in page 2 panel 4 are the same size. Other than those nits, very nice.

Thanks! If you look where shadowy guy's shoulder is, you can get a better idea on how long his arm is. It does look a bit goofy because of how the coat is loose and doesn't stick to the body when it's open like that. It does have a wonky first-read though, so I'll probably touch that up if I move on to inks.

Kid's fingers on that page do look a bit samey, thanks for pointing it out!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Okay so I didn't completely slack off today. I got page 3 pencils done, but we'll need to wait until I can do the lettering and shading. In the meantime, speculate on why Kid Knuckles is just beating up random people! Or not, I expect not. :P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/przfu9khm1vxk9x/kk_kd_p3.jpg?dl=0
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Page 3 is up!

I went a little farther with the shading this time around (it's kind of a process that's a work in progress so I'm not sure how it's supposed to look yet). Compare to the first two pages, which do you guys think looks better?

Again, all comments and critiques welcome!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Now I want a Mysterious Clue Bar & Grill T-shirt...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    .....what is in that dumpster??
  • Options
    prestochangoprestochango Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Exelent!
    Gorgeus!
    Dazzling!

Oooo, where can we get one of those?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Now I want a Mysterious Clue Bar & Grill T-shirt...

I could actually make that happen... haha.
    .....what is in that dumpster??

No one of consequence...

notratty.jpg
    Squeekaboo!
    Oooo, where can we get one of those?

Did you quote the wrong post? I dunno what you're asking for there. :P
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    No one of consequence...

notratty.jpg
    Squeekaboo!
    Lol that's awesome! I thought it was a tail. I'm like the one Foxbat in downtown hiding in the trash.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Page 3 is up!

I went a little farther with the shading this time around (it's kind of a process that's a work in progress so I'm not sure how it's supposed to look yet). Compare to the first two pages, which do you guys think looks better?

Again, all comments and critiques welcome!

I think the shading is better in this one than the 2nd one. 1 & 3 are pretty similar to me in that aspect.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I think the shading is better in this one than the 2nd one. 1 & 3 are pretty similar to me in that aspect.

If I were to go back and work on these pages again, the first would have a lot more texture, and the second would have a larger variation in tones. Not sure if I'll be doing that though, since it took quite a while. Not sure what road I'll be taking in the next few pages.

If I do go back and try to finalize these a bit better, though, I'll be starting with digital ink, and then coloring the way I've done my commissions.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Page 4 is up!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    i forbid you to sleep until you finish them all!!!!!
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Page 4 is up!

Biff Smackwell, proud graduate of the Mighty Hercules School of Sound Effects. Fun stuff, man. I'm really enjoying this!
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Bloody hell that kid likes violence. Its like OI YOU! *bamo* head flies through walls XD

Its a method of super heroics I approve of.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Biff Smackwell, proud graduate of the Mighty Hercules School of Sound Effects. Fun stuff, man. I'm really enjoying this!

I did a search but couldn't find any pages of the comic or it's sound effects. Would love to see other sound effects like this! I like a good variety of sound effects. I'll pretty much throw anything in there that makes me chuckle when I think of it. SPACRAP was one of my faves here. :biggrin:
    nepht wrote: »
    Bloody hell that kid likes violence. Its like OI YOU! *bamo* head flies through walls XD

Its a method of super heroics I approve of.

It's not that he likes violence (okay he likes punching bad guys, that much is true) but more like his mind is always racing thinking about one thing or another so he loses focus in what he's doing. ADHD meds wear off in the evening, so the later it gets, the less likely he is to contain himself when his adrenaline gets going.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    "This is why I need adult supervision! GEEEEEZE!"

Freaking brilliant, man. :biggrin:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ker-splango!
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I did a search but couldn't find any pages of the comic or it's sound effects. Would love to see other sound effects like this! I like a good variety of sound effects. I'll pretty much throw anything in there that makes me chuckle when I think of it. SPACRAP was one of my faves here.

hercajamma.jpg

herc03.jpg

4372966-herc136_02.jpg

WHZ3eHj.jpg
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Oh man, those are great! Crakkajamma!

Hahaha, I love when the letterer can have some fun!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I did a search but couldn't find any pages of the comic or it's sound effects. Would love to see other sound effects like this! I like a good variety of sound effects. I'll pretty much throw anything in there that makes me chuckle when I think of it. SPACRAP was one of my faves here. :biggrin:

It's not that he likes violence (okay he likes punching bad guys, that much is true) but more like his mind is always racing thinking about one thing or another so he loses focus in what he's doing. ADHD meds wear off in the evening, so the later it gets, the less likely he is to contain himself when his adrenaline gets going.

So he is like a Sunny D fueled Popeye, those damn E-numbers XD
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    nepht wrote: »
    So he is like a Sunny D fueled Popeye, those damn E-numbers XD

Damn those red dyes!

I should have the next page up today. Was trying to finish it last night but we had a blackout and that put the kibosh on the coloring I was doing.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Page 5 is up!

I think page 5 has the best shading so far. I used only two main shading colors, one for the background and another for shading the characters. There were only a couple other times I made a new layer for shading a different thing. I like the results, keeps the page from getting too busy, and it doesn't take a whole ton of time to get it done.

Hope you guys like!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I like how he almost got up but then he overheard the narrator.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    That was not intended but I like your version better. Haha.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The only question remaining is why you aren't getting paid to put out a full issue of this every month.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    The only question remaining is why you aren't getting paid to put out a full issue of this every month.

Yeah what the heck?! :P

When I have enough pages and issues done, I'm gonna try and see if there's any interest out there. Might publish something on my own and stuff, too. We'll see.

Page 6 should be coming tonight. I'm not happy with the dialogue on the page. Not enough jokes, and the jokes aren't good enough either. All the stuff that I've been posting is pretty much the "First Draft" of dialogue. When we write these, the dialogue usually gets like five or six passes before we're happy with it. Since I'm posting these up as I finish them, it's just the first draft and it can seem clunky at times. So far I haven't really had much issue with it, but this page came up a little short, so I'm putting some extra thought into it.

Anyway, glad you're liking it, hope you enjoy the next few pages too!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Been following this for a while, but wow this is actually really nice.

The little details on some of the panels really add a good touch, keep it up Biff! ( ; u ; )b
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Thanks, dude!

Sorry for the big delay, guys, had some other stuff to do. Anyway, pages 6 and 7 are up! One page to go!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Good stuff!

I am however confused on last panel...is he so distracted that he forgot his mom is right there?

And good lord..that super sayian hair!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Yup, it'll all be clear when you see the next panel, but yeah, when his meds wear off, the enhanced ADHD makes him get all riled up and his attention span is so low that he forgets things in an instant.

And yeah that hair happened because my kid refused to get a haircut for like a year and that's what happened. :P
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    After a bit of a hiatus to spend some time working on my rpg-boardgame thingy, I finally came back to this to finish it up. I know no one was dying to see how this thing turns out so I don't think I broke any hearts. :D

So, again I'd want to do another pass at the dialogue on this page, because this stuff was still more rapid-fire like the rest of the pages, but this is what I have for now.

I think I nailed down the style for pencil-only art on Page 5 and onward, and I want to go back and redo pages 1 through 4 and recolor them in the newer methods. What I did in the latter half of the story was a pretty easy-to-follow structure of adding shadows, highlights, and tones, which I thought was great since not working with straight black-and-white documents makes coloring harder. I might still try to color these, since my newer method made it easier to block out different colors and stuff. Would be nicer if I could just pay someone to color the pages, but this will have to do for now! Haha.

Hope you all liked the art and my dumb jokes, and thanks for staying with me through this dumb ol' thing. :p I'm planning another 8-pager full of dumb'n'puns so maybe stay tuned, if other things don't get in the way yet again!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    agentcanadaagentcanada Posts: 775 Arc User
    Yeah, that was pretty amazing Biff. I look forward to seeing more, no lies,
    AC
  • Options
    Hey thanks, man, it really means a lot!

I'm working on recoloring (in black-and-white) the first four pages, and from there I'm going to actually color them (the B-W stuff adds a fair bit of groundwork to the colors, and I want both versions to look good, so yar). I hope to post up the updates soons.

Oh, and as far as the "schtick" mentioned in the last page, it really doesn't make sense here, as its the third comic he's done this schtick in, but I can't post the others. So it's kind of a lame joke unless you've read the previous stuff. Not like all the jokes aren't lame, but whateva! :D
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    DO MOAR NOWZ...ive printed these out and like making a little book to keep ima that anal @_@"
  • Options
    I will be making more! And maybe I can send you the comic I can't post on the sly...

Also I've updated the first page for the colors to reflect the later pages a little better. I think it looks a lot better, and less washed-out. The rest of the pages will be coming soon!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    >__> You should be working for a comic company your arts better than the hacks they hire these days.
  • Options
    Perhaps you should be working for a comic company in charge of hiring new artists so you can get me a job! :D

I've updated page two. I think it looks much, much better. If anyone wants to do a side-by-side comparison, here are the proper links to page 1 and 2, old and new:

Page 1 Old

Page 1 New

Page 2 Old

Page 2 New
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    Page 3 updated!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    Teh epics.
  • Options
    Alrighty, I updated page 4, and now it's all looking pretty spiff. Now to work on real colors!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    I saw this before the forum migration and forgot mention this is really great.

Way to raise the bar for the rest of us, Biff.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • Options
    Hey guys, been working on the colors, and I've uploaded pages 1 through 3 so far. Enjoys!
    biffsig.jpg