test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Veteran Champion's Dilemma, Change my default Costume?

xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Costumes and Concepts
First I would like to introduce myself for any that don't know me. My name is Caliga, and I have been playing this game for well for a long time now, about 4 years, almost 5. I would consider myself a well known player, mainly for my big mouth, among other stellar attributes. The purpose of this thread is to get an opinion of my peers and the forum community outside of my Super Group. For the longest time, my character "Caliga", has what many would consider his "Iconic" look, his black spiked power armor, unchanging for a little more than 3 years. After many experimenting over that time with different looks, and variants of his default look, I have come to a point where I am unsure whether or not the look below is what I truly desire of the character.

Pictured on the right, is Caliga's Iconic look, the one that has been his default for years.
Pictured on the left is a variant of his default armor, one that I might consider.

The look of a character strongly defines the aura, and essence of what that character embodies, along with it's rich history and lore related to it. This is why I am hesitant, but at the same time excited. The old saying goes, "Don't fix what is not broken". I personally believe my character Caliga's current costume has so much history and memories tied to it, that changing it would essentially change the "character". I do however cannot keep wondering if changing "the look", would be for the better, and open up a new path of character exploration.

Is this a self love post? A little bit. But in summary, I would like the community to basically tell me what they think.

Should I stay with the look on the right, or change to the look to the left? Stating reasons why are also welcome.

Caliga_Variant.jpg
Post edited by xcaligax on

Comments

• markofthelexanmarkofthelexan Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    didnt go with my belt idea in the end :-p

Anyway i like it but im not sure about the leg accessories

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    well, on a knee jerk level, i like the left look. so we start from that, it sa good look. as for your broader question, i think its in the spirit of comics to change up a look every once in a while, and by the game logic, new stuff comes out, you made your original look with the tools that were available at the time. back on city of i changed my main character's looks very often, as you get more tools, you can refine your look or find different expressions of it, so my take, for what its worth, is go for it.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think Classic Caliga Cola is better. WHy don't you post the costume file and see if anyone can come up with a good variation.

I personally don't care for the leg accessories either on the new look and the Skirt piece is kind of awkward without something to compliment it better.

Why not try picking time periods of the same look.

Golden Age
    Silver Age
    Noir
    Bulk Tech
    Stealth gear

etc
  • ogremindesogremindes Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My immediate reaction is that the new faulds don't fit in with the rest of the armour. I think you'd have to change out the pauldrons for ones that match to make it work, and I suspect you're not up for changing your look that much.

-Ogre
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think the skirt is an awkward look, but I've also always thought the thigh armor was too thick.

I think the thigh armor on the left one would look better if there was some grey on it. It's the only part that has a whole lot of black and no grey, aside from the bracers, but they're a smaller area.

Also you should make him 9 feet tall and with gigantic fists.

Honestly though, I think the fact that you're asking others means you might not like it enough yourself. I think work on it until you think it's awesome, or stay with the one you know you like already (no changes in three years, you probably kinda like it).
    biffsig.jpg
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Looking at it from an aesthetic angle, it is an interesting change. Though it throws the color scheme a bit off. Maybe if you made the the black part covering the kneecaps gray.

As for wanting a change in general, I think all players ought to embrace a change and revamp but only when the game itself gets one worthy of putting more thought into our individual looks. When we embrace a new age that is when I feel costumes should get a revamp.

Overall, I don't think you need to change it. However I think variants for different scenarios would be interesting to see very much like Iron Man.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ah, superhero MMOs, where changing one's pants becomes an existential crisis. :biggrin:

I like the idea in principle, but that particular piece is too busy. The original look keeps the focus on the iconic head, shoulders, and upper torso. Historically, on the other hand, nothing good ever came from drawing attention to a king's crotch.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Do it. I want to make fun of you for wearing a skirt.

Also it makes your hips look eeeeeven more narrow. I'll have to downgrade you from 12 year old to 9 year old.
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Stay with the look, the skirt just feels unfitting and awkward compared to the rest of the costume that you're wearing.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Urr. I don't love the original look, those leg pieces are a bit bulky particularly since there's no similar bulk at the hips layer, but I'm not sure vikorin hips are the right replacement.
  • purin1purin1 Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The classic look brings the feel of the character being a real powerhouse and a superior fighter. The picture you posted on the left makes me think of Caliga more as a "Ruler" than anything else.

Not that either costume does not bring "superior fighter" or "ruler" to the table already, it's just what each costume happens to tip the scale in my point of view. That's my two cents at least. I prefer the classic look.
    I strive to be the strongest swordsman alive.
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015
    The one on the left could use a different belt choice, the one on the right breaks up your midsection nicely where the left is flat.

And I agree with smack, the leg guards could use a touch of grey.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Lefty baddie, righty mighty.
    Just make a new Costume, u silly destroyer of tadpoles.

And someone have to photoshop all yer fanarts...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't like the armored skirt look on Caliga. The rest of the model doesn't match--it isn't massive enough to pull it off.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think having a reason for the change is more significant than the actual change itself. Especially when you're talking about a character that has had the same look for years.

For a character like Caliga, you wouldn't see him at the tailor window shopping, saying "Oh that looks nice".

Also, it's not like his original costume was outdated. ie. wearing underwear on the outside of his pants.

That being said...for a character as (in)famous as Caliga...I think the change would have to signify something. For all your stance and bravado in zone chat, that some love or some hate...the character of Caliga actually does have a good backstory, even tragic.

I think you can find good reason in there for an actual change.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The left will get more water balloon bits stuck in it when I throw them at you and hair when I jump against you. My choice has been made.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • necratech009necratech009 Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I like your original look better. That being said, I believe you should get another look. Don't scrap the first but get a maybe alternative universe version, dark version,future version,cosmic....etc. (Just some ideas to get you thinking.) Remembering to keep the iconic parts of your costume. The iconic parts being the helmet w/crown, the shoulderpads, and maybe the gloves/bracers and cape (also your color scheme is important). You would have to play with it to really make sure you keep that feel of Caliga but have the feel of something else too, like steampunk Caliga or something. Maybe I will play with your look and if I come up with anything successful, I'll try to post it here. Good luck in your pursuit.
  • sparklisinasparklisina Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Mostly echoing others thoughts on this as well,

I have to say that I like the original better but that is only because in comparison, the new one's leg accessories throw things out of whack. Kinda throws off the coloring and overall aesthetic of the costume.

That said, I think you should make variants of the costume. Subtle changes here and there, just like (as someone else said) Iron man updates or changes things on his suits. A lot of comic book characters have small changes to their costumes and goodness knows there are enough costume slots that you could have a couple variants.

Just by making this thread, it shows that you want a little change and there is nothing wrong with that. I know its hard to let go of an iconic look, which Caliga's really is...but just by making a variant doesn't mean you have to get rid of the last one. :P

Rose_sig.png
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited March 2015
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.
  • morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think the old version is better; the skirt is a neat costume piece, but it doesn't quite fit the rest of the outfit, in my not-so-humble opinion.
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Stay Classic. In addition to what other people have said, the Vikorin Hip piece's metal option is broken and just shows up as leather.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    if you want to accurately portray what the character is ike, you need the foxbat speaker chest.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    xcaligax wrote: »
    Should I stay with the look on the right, or change to the look to the left? Stating reasons why are also welcome.

Caliga_Variant.jpg

Keep both, but update the one on the left so that it makes you look more like a ruler. Gotta flaunt your kingliness all over the place after all. Leg Accessories could use a touch of gray to balance out the colors across the rest of the costume. That new costume that's coming out has gloves and boots that you could also look into for the new look. Maybe look into different Arm Accessories as well, I don't think they're very fitting with the new Leg Accessories. The Cosmic pieces could be good. Instead of the Takofanes Belt, perhaps the simpler Archlich Belt or more exotic Pharaoh Belt would be a better fit with the new Hip Accessory.

In any case, experiment around and see what you can cook up. Keep trying different looks and see what comes together for you.
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    First I would like to introduce myself for any that don't know me. My name is Caliga, and I have been playing this game for well for a long time now, about 4 years, almost 5. I would consider myself a well known player, mainly for my big mouth, among other stellar attributes. The purpose of this thread is to get an opinion of my peers and the forum community outside of my Super Group. For the longest time, my character "Caliga", has what many would consider his "Iconic" look, his black spiked power armor, unchanging for a little more than 3 years. After many experimenting over that time with different looks, and variants of his default look, I have come to a point where I am unsure whether or not the look below is what I truly desire of the character.

Pictured on the right, is Caliga's Iconic look, the one that has been his default for years.
    Pictured on the left is a variant of his default armor, one that I might consider.

The look of a character strongly defines the aura, and essence of what that character embodies, along with it's rich history and lore related to it. This is why I am hesitant, but at the same time excited. The old saying goes, "Don't fix what is not broken". I personally believe my character Caliga's current costume has so much history and memories tied to it, that changing it would essentially change the "character". I do however cannot keep wondering if changing "the look", would be for the better, and open up a new path of character exploration.

Is this a self love post? A little bit. But in summary, I would like the community to basically tell me what they think.

Caliga_Variant.jpg

I for one approve the slight variant.
  • thistleswift1thistleswift1 Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Make the change. Piffle has always wanted a Princess Caliga doll. <Giggle> Just kidding. Actually I really like the new look. Look at Iron Man. He has made many many changes through the years and is still THE iconic power armor dude and still recognizable. Go for it!
    edited March 2015
    You ever get the feeling that Caliga was never actually going to change his costume and he just made this thread to see how much people care about his costume? His ego is full engorged right now, lol.

Think about it. How many of you have ever made a thread about your own costume?
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    after only 3 pages,need at least 30 to fill his ego.
    only about all of my costumes.... well they ones which won't get modded if I post the pictures
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• chimerafreekchimerafreek Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    You ever get the feeling that Caliga was never actually going to change his costume and he just made this thread to see how much people care about his costume? His ego is full engorged right now, lol.

Think about it. How many of you have ever made a thread about your own costume?

He actually did Withdraw The Vikorin Hips from the SG vault, though.

Also I'm surprised he'd even consider debunking all that art of him.
    You could try using the Pharoah's belt. It's good for warrior types.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I like the skirt better. It has more "flow". The leg armor's too...interrupting.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited March 2015
    He actually did Withdraw The Vikorin Hips from the SG vault, though.

Also I'm surprised he'd even consider debunking all that art of him.

Yes he did, and shame on him for withdrawing those just so he can make a bid for more attention.

He hasn't responded a single time since starting the post, so clearly this isn't a discussion... this is just him saying "Who cares about Caliga?" and then rubbing his chest every time somebody responds with a resounding "I DO I DO! PLEASE NOTICE ME CALIGA-SENPAI! :D"
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So it's Caliga being...Caliga? :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited March 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Yes he did, and shame on him for withdrawing those just so he can make a bid for more attention.

He hasn't responded a single time since starting the post, so clearly this isn't a discussion... this is just him saying "Who cares about Caliga?" and then rubbing his chest every time somebody responds with a resounding "I DO I DO! PLEASE NOTICE ME CALIGA-SENPAI! :D"

If he hasnt responded and isnt going to, then this shouldnt be in the general discussion section...

this should be in costumes and concepts section instead... as there is no feedback.

edited March 2015
    Fair point. Moving...
    biffsig.jpg
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    edited March 2015
    Caliga-Senpai notices you.

Im sure you did only because the thread got moved,

please if you seriously want us to give you feedback, at least respond so everyone here isnt wasting their time. Sorry to burst your ego bubble.

• xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lilsteffie wrote: »
    Im sure you did only because the thread got moved,

please if you seriously want us to give you feedback, at least respond so everyone here isnt wasting their time. Sorry to burst your ego bubble.

I wasted everyone's time huh? Guess you know how everybody feels, since you are so boldly speaking for everyone that has responded to this thread.

My response is what I am wearing the next time people see me. This isn't some thread where I give an answer to any particular response at a whim just for the sake of "responding".

You, along with foxi, have failed to see the purpose of this thread. Foxi loves to troll me at every expense, which I don't mind. I'm not arguing that it's not a "call for attention" thread.

It is one.

I like my character. So what? I like sharing it with the community. Other people like it too. Good.

This is not a discussion. It's up to you to turn it into one if you want, I don't care.

I just want an answer or opinion. It's a yes or no thing.
    edited March 2015
    To be clear, I didn't move the thread because Caliga hadn't responded; I moved it because it's specifically a topic about his costume. Belongs less in General Discussion than in Costumes and Concepts.
    biffsig.jpg
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    fb88bd6a2e2e4f847b5e5ace2862c5c8.jpg

We seem to be drifting.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This is not a discussion. It's up to you to turn it into one if you want, I don't care.

I just want an answer or opinion. It's a yes or no thing.

Right, it's a poll.

Have you made a decision yet? Would be nice to let everyone know in an edit in the first post.

Btw, I'm going with the original, skirt-less look.
    edited March 2015
    Seriously guys. Costume changes is like the biggest content this game gets. Heck, Defender gets more costume updates than anything else and Caliga is just feeling behind.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Really, what Caliga wants is Caliga-con. Need a 'Caliga the Movie' costume.
    edited March 2015
    Now I know what you're thinking. About the previous poster. I know its tempting. But please. Don't do it!